• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ever since reading that Iwata and Miyamoto would often have long lunches together, I can't get the image of Miyamoto having lunch by himself out of my mind

:(

Chaos17

images

I just saw some fireworks from my window, I know it wasn't for Iwata but I though of him when watching them...

disco

Nintendo will not be able to have Nintendo Directs anymore. The whole format was so Iwata-centric it will be too upsetting to use that method to communicate with fans in that way.

Shmuppers

Nintendo will not be able to have Nintendo Directs anymore. The whole format was so Iwata-centric it will be too upsetting to use that method to communicate with fans in that way.

Although I understand your sentiment, he simply wouldn't want it to be that way.

I think I read somewhere today that he did some kind of work on the Balloon Trip Breeze portion of Nintendoland, is there any truth to that?

Not officially, but airjoca brought up a story that Eurogamer mentioned earlier in the thread.
There's a wonderful story about him patrolling the shop floor at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters prior to the Wii U's release, being shown the line-up for the console's impending launch in his role as the company's president. He paused on Balloon Trip Breeze, a mini-game within Nintendo Land which paid tribute to Balloon Fight, the 1984 game on which Iwata acted as programmer. Noticing something wasn't quite right with the feel of the characters as they flapped their way across the screen, he astonished everyone present as he set about fixing it - the head of the company rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck into the code.

I was saddened by this news, but I didn't tear up or anything, and I didn't anticipate that any of the industry reactions would get me.

but god damn, Itoi's farewell made me well up a little. That's some beautiful shit right there

Garlador

There are a million worthy pics and GIFs of this man we could share...

... But to me, it's something simple and timeless.
iwata.jpg

[Iwata Laughs]

... I'm going to sorely miss that laughter.

Mine01

4chan using Smiles and Tears on /V/ got the manly tears flowing last night. I listen to the Earthbound soundtrack regularly and that track will always make me think of Iwata even decades from now.

Im at work and reading this thread listening to smile and tears... is just not a good idea.

ExVicis

You know threads like this and all things I've seen here really make me glad to be a part of Gaf sometimes. This thread and you guys is really helping me come to terms with Iwata being gone. I sincerely want to thank you all for this.

tesla246

Such heartbreaking news and an awful loss for the industry in general and nintendo fans in particular.

Reading this thread summing up all the things he has done brings me to tears literally. Never have I felt such grief for a person I have never met. He was not just a business man. He was one of us. My thoughts go out to his family and friends and fellow.

Thanks for everything you have done Iwata.
You and other ''nintendo'ers'' (Gunpei Yokoi, Miyamoto, etc.) will always be in my mind.

Persona7

Banned

Oersted

EK4eM.png

Europe and Japan will be fine. Its NoA I'm worried about. Nothing against Trinen and Reggie, but Directs without Iwata were lacking.

I'm just so sad.

Every time I think I'm getting over it, I remember and it just hits me hard in the stomach.

I've never even met the man, but he's responsible for some of my favorite memories.

Fuck.

Theorymon

I've been overwhelmed with emotion all day yesterday and today. I can't really think of a long, epic post to make at the moment... So I guess I'll just leave this here for now. Just something dinky I made with fontmeme.

mario_34noqk_by_aloooo81-d8zn172.png

Bru

A sad day for all of us involved in this wonderful industry, be you player, creator or both.

Farewell Satoru Iwata, you legend and inspiration, you will be missed.

Rodin

I was wondering if i could borrow the avatar with this Mario image and the ribbon, seeing as another member is already using it.

PS: I'm actually surprised Apple didn't put him on the home page of their website, nor did they honor him in any way yet. They did it quite a few times in the past when other important personalities passed away.

Doc Az

Neo Member
I just came home from work, and because I have zero internet access, I had no idea that this had happened. It just kinda shook me, because while I knew he had health problems, I really didn't see this coming. Genuine upset, as while I was never the biggest Nintendo gamer, I respected the man greatly, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy his job. He was an inspiration, having started as a programmer, a real rags to riches in the games industry.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata, you gave so many people so many great memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom