• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

I like the slim design, as the phat one is just way too big.
And wiping the dust every 5 minutes does not sound good to me...
$299 +slim = I buy on 09/01.
Since may 2005 i've been waiting for this moment.
Now I have to choose which game i'll get for it, since there are lots of old games i would like to play + psn. I think i'll get MGS4, Uncharted, R&C Future, KZ2 (FPS not my cup of tea), LBP if cheap, Princeof persia , bioshock, NGS, Valkyria Chronicles, DMC4, Folklore, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Wipeout HD, Flower, SSDHD. So many great games to play LLTP.
And i should get them for cheap.

Syntek

This thing would look pretty awesome if hung up on the wall, much like the newer routers/BD players.

Should be quite feasible considering the weight and thin profile, only problem is lack of holes on the back...maybe that's what the extra flap at the back covers up.

DiGi-C

Banned
deepbrown said:
Yes, but in the UK we have bundles. The PS3 has been priced at £280 with two games and a blu-ray (and hdmi) for aggges. Over here, not only are the game's much cheaper, we have retailer bundles and price cuts.

RRP of £250 means £230 with two games.

Hopefully!

Eccocid

Einbroch said:
As I said in the other thread, if FFXIII was exclusive, PSlim3 day one for me.

Unfortunately, there just aren't enough exclusive games out there for me to warrant a purchase. That said, Sony is really stepping up their game, and it can only be good for the industry.

Seriously this "not enough exclusive games for me" is so YE OLDE!
Do you have any exact number for that?Like you at least need 10 or 20 exclusive games for it?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
OK, my two cents..

The original one is much nicer..the only thing sexy with this is the price... it is soon time to get me one of these..

Sentry said:
Here are all the official pics,

3834410088_48a94f1b44_b.jpg
Doesn't look at that small right there. I guess "slim" is the right word. It's still a big box, heh.

Well, big pancake.

KingJ2002

i love the simple design as well... but what would of have made this system design pop is.

glowing "ps3" logo (with the option to turn it off)... if that was done... the redesign would go from good to SICK!

Einbroch

Banned
Eccocid said:
Seriously this "not enough exclusive games for me" is so YE OLDE!
Do you have any exact number for that?Like you at least need 10 or 20 exclusive games for it?
Don't get so defensive. Uncharted looks fun, but I'm not into the whole Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones thing. Never have been. Little Big Planet looks pretty good, but I've never been into building levels. I'm not that creative. I don't like first person shooters, so Resistance 1+2 and Killzone 2 don't appeal to me. inFAMOUS is honestly the only game that I can honestly say I would purchase with my PS3 if I bought one.

It's not that the PS3 doesn't have good games, it's just that 80% of them are multi-platform, and I have a 360. If you don't own a 360, I'd say go for the PS3. It's the better value (now).

Lucius86

Banned
deepbrown said:
Yes, but in the UK we have bundles. The PS3 has been priced at £280 with two games and a blu-ray (and hdmi) for aggges. Over here, not only are the game's much cheaper, we have retailer bundles and price cuts.

RRP of £250 means £230 with two games.

I hope so, but somehow I think otherwise, at least initially. The bundles only came later on in the console's life cycle, but we could be in luck.

Its overdue, but its a move in the right direction.

HUELEN10

billy.sea said:
Now they just need to announce a 20GB version for $199 and they will overtake the 360 and possibly the Wii.
Value-wise, the new PS3 is already the cheapest system on the market, I don't think anyone can argue that...

I mean it's a BD Player (Which you can get at Walmart for 100 USD) and an HD Game console (Which you can get for 200 USD) for the fair price of 300 USD. You can't beat that for an all-in-one!

Now the console war is truly on, and the only true factor will be the games! Bring on the competition, bring on the better games! I feel that the PS3 slim is great not just for Sony, but for the entire industry! These nest 2 years are gonna be something else I tell you what!

I love the fact that they are reducing the price and giving more people excuses to buy one.

I like the design, but not enough to go getting a second PS3 to replace my BC fat. Actually, I prefer the fat design better... at least for my model, it seems more "high end" and not obviously obsoleted looking.

Things I'm interested in knowing would be if they changed the internals so that the PS3 can bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA? Not that it matters one lick to what I hear, but I like options, and I like more lights on my Denon AVR-889 to light up someday. :)

Also, one can assume that it requires less cooling and will be even quieter than first gen PS3.

P.S. Surprised they still didn't add IR to the thing considering how many people want to use their harmony remotes with it but don't want to pay the raping price of the logitech adapter.

So the slim isn't using a jet black finish like the ps2 and original ps3? It looks more like the charcoal color of the 360. Terrible.

Xenomorph

Banned
billy.sea said:
Now they just need to announce a 20GB version for $199 and they will overtake the 360 and possibly the Wii.

You don't think that the September NPD will see PS3 over 360? I certainly do. The fact that all "waiters" have been posting on how they are pre-ordering, along with "buying another" people should give some insight. Halo will push hardware, but not as much as a re-designed system.

Dre

billy.sea said:
20GB HDDs are more expensive at retail nowadays, the size doesn't correlate with the price, it doesn't work that way.

Dragon

Banned
Einbroch said:
Don't get so defensive. Uncharted looks fun, but I'm not into the whole Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones thing. Never have been. Little Big Planet looks pretty good, but I've never been into building levels. I'm not that creative. I don't like first person shooters, so Resistance 1+2 and Killzone 2 don't appeal to me. inFAMOUS is honestly the only game that I can honestly say I would purchase with my PS3 if I bought one.

It's not that the PS3 doesn't have good games, it's just that 80% of them are multi-platform, and I have a 360.

You don't need to build levels to have fun with LBP.

Anyway if you don't think the exclusive games are worth it not sure why you're in this thread in the first place.

H_Prestige said:
So the slim isn't using a jet black finish like the ps2 and original ps3? It looks more like the charcoal color of the 360. Terrible.

We get it, you don't like the finish of the console. Stop posting about it over and over again.

poserdonut said:
I don't really get it, will it be released worldwide 1st September but earlier in some regions (read US)?

No. The Slim will be out the week of September 1st, the current PS3 will drop to $299 tomorrow.

Drame

Seems that the MSRP in Finland will be 359 euros, although there are retailers which will most likely sell the console for the 299 euro price.

If not, Amazon to the rescue!

Einbroch

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
You don't need to build levels to have fun with LBP.

Anyway if you don't think the exclusive games are worth it not sure why you're in this thread in the first place.
Because I really like the redesign of the PS3, I like the price point, and I really like the effort Sony is putting into the PS3 now. They aren't just rolling over, and I think that the PS3 now has a fighting chance to overtake the 360 in the long run (in the US).

The PS3 at 300 dollars is a steal if you don't own a 360. Blu-Ray player and the huge library that opens up is awesome.

Varth

I know it may be a little tortuous, but don't you think that the choice of taking Linux compatibility out will lead to natural interest in the hacking scene and ultimately, in a year or less, to piracy?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
womfalcs3 said:
Where did you hear this? It wouldn't make sense.

Yeah, it says Compact Disc right on the front of the slim in the logo stack. Pretty sure this is an error.

KingJ2002 said:
i love the simple design as well... but what would of have made this system design pop is.

glowing "ps3" logo (with the option to turn it off)... if that was done... the redesign would go from good to SICK!

Wii did that already.

Its def. alot cheaper, you can tell by looking at the plastic up close, but that's ultimately more a fault of the original being too expensive rather than the latter being "too cheap".

Eccocid

Einbroch said:

It's not that the PS3 doesn't have good games, it's just that 80% of them are multi-platform, and I have a 360. If you don't own a 360, I'd say go for the PS3. It's the better value (now).

I am not getting defensive heck i am selling my ps3 soon and not gonna get a new one.
It's just most of the exclusive games on both consoles are not very different from each other and when people say "not enough exclusives" i wonder if they demand a fixed amount.Cuz it sounds like that. So far 360 has more jrpgs than ps3 that's the only main difference i think in library of both consoles.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Varth said:
I know it may be a little tortuous, but don't you think that the choice of taking Linux compatibility out will lead to natural interest in the hacking scene and ultimately, in a year or less, to piracy?

Yes, I find the exclusion of the ability to play other operating systems a little....interesting.

Especially now since there is no way to play homebrew through Linux (for the slim).

noah111

Still Alive
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Doesn't look at that small right there. I guess "slim" is the right word. It's still a big box, heh.

Well, big pancake.
It's actually a tiny bit wider, but in terms of thickness it's quite slimmer.

2d8i73n.png

2gu07df.png

Opiate

Xenomorph said:
You don't think that the September NPD will see PS3 over 360? I certainly do. The fact that all "waiters" have been posting on how they are pre-ordering, along with "buying another" people should give some insight. Halo will push hardware, but not as much as a re-designed system.

Redesigned home systems haven't historically done very much, but 100 dollar price cuts sure have.

I think a 200% increase in sales is a reasonable estimation. That should put it ahead of the 360, but not by enormous amounts (the 360 is outselling the PS3 by nearly 100% atm in the US) but I also wouldn't be amazed if the 360 still outsold the PS3.

Zzoram

I'm pretty sure the PS3 will get a rather large spike and easily pass the 360 for September. It will probably be at Wii levels, since the Wii doesn't have anything major popping in September.

billy.sea

Banned
Cdammen said:
I'll get a fat one if they'll be cheaper than the slim one.

I bet a lot of shop will start clearing out those Phat with some great sale, either $50 cheaper or throw in some free games.

Top Bottom