• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

klokdol

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Fact is Sony has taken out something with each new iteration of the PS3...that is fact. So I'll ask again...what happened to adding features? Why must the PS3 regress?

You're really trying hard to find something bad to say about Sony.

It's in your head I mean. The design and parts are perfectly fine, PS3 doesn't regress at all.

Games quality and graphics improve month after month, firmwares improve too.

It seems to me the PS3 is doing very well right now. It will probably do much better in sales too with the new 299$ price point.

Quincey said:
I' am confused over why everyone thinks it looks so bad. Sure the matte is somewhat cheap looking compared to the previous gloss, but otherwise i see no problems with it. It seems like the majority of the complaints are coming from owners of the previous model. I guess that's just sony fans always needing to feel superior, even over other PS3 owners.
Oh get off your high horse. It has a fraction of the features of the old PS3s and only looks marginally better, if that.

Nobody complained about the PS2 slim. Why? Because it was a PS2 in a compact frame. This is, for a lot of owners who were more than willing to trade up (myself included), a downgrade. It's not super small, either.

That said, I'd still suggest that a new owner get this one over the phat units on the shelves now. But I take no pride in this newer unit like I usually do with my gadgets.

StuBurns

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
Is there an HDMI cable in the slim box? I don't remember seeing one... o_O
It's says AV cable, it doesn't specify which type, though I really doubt it's HDMI because there is only one AV cable and you can't assume people have HDMI.

Looks like Michael may have to have a talk with the examiner.

SF Examiner said:
Michael Prachter says new PS3 model and price cut are both plausible.

Earlier this week, retailers in the UK have had a troublesome time getting in shipments of Playstation 3 units. According to VG247 and their podcast with Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Prachter , Japanese retailers' stocks are also drying up since they are claiming that they are no longer allowed to make orders past August 8th.

Prachter gave his input that that that the delaying and freezing of shipments might be a clue that there is a "model change" or new SKU. In addition, he comments that if the costs of the components are indeed cheaper, and Sony follows its old patterns, a price cut is also a feasible plan. Keep in mind, Sony recently cut its manufacturing costs for the PS3 by 70%.

The situation is still nothing more than a waiting game; however, it is a good thing that these speculations are building more momentum than the usual covert information and pictures from random street vendors.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12491-Dal...ew-PS3-model-and-price-cut-are-both-plausible

yes, and I know it's a 4 day old article

F#A#Oo said:
So I'll ask again...what happened to adding features? Why must the PS3 regress?
Why do you need to ask this question? Everyone knows it was done to cut costs. If Sony didn't aggressively cut costs after the PS3 was launched (and this includes removing niche/expensive features), they would have failed 1000 times harder than any blogger says they have already. They would probably have had to exit the business altogether.

F#A#Oo

Banned
gofreak said:
Hardware wise they haven't taken out anything with this iteration.

And on your other point, as I say, I would disagree strongly. The machine has progressed hugely via firmware since launch.

Thank you for not answering my question. I've asked twice now.

HAOHMARU

Awesome...I have been waiting for the price drop and the slim to come out. I have been in the sidelines this entire generation waiting for this moment.

Now I just need to finish the PS2 games still in my backlog and then I'll pull the trigger.

Dragon

Banned
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Oh get off your high horse. It has a fraction of the features of the old PS3s and only looks marginally better, if that.

Nobody complained about the PS2 slim. Why? Because it was a PS2 in a compact frame. This is, for a lot of owners who were more than willing to trade up (myself included), a downgrade.

That said, I'd still suggest that a new owner get this one over the phat units on the shelves now. But I take no pride in this newer unit like I usually do with my gadgets.

So there were no whiners about the lack of HDD in the PS2 Slim? Because as far as I know, it didn't support it. That's akin to bitching about all those memory card ports.

It has two less USB ports than the original PS3.

It doesn't have memory card ports.

It doesn't have BC for PS2 games.

Am I missing anything else? Can I call you out on your hyperbole?

androvsky

gofreak said:
Hardware wise they haven't taken out anything with this iteration.

And on your other point, as I say, I would disagree strongly. The machine has progressed hugely via firmware since launch.

Slims can't run OtherOS. While I doubt that's hardware related, it's certainly a feature that's missing from the new models. The sad thing is someone put together a bootable MAME image for USB drives for the PS3 just a couple weeks ago; just add roms and reboot.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
With the new HD skus on the scene it'll be interesting to see how long Nintendo continues to be complacent about price cuts. 360 and PS3 models for $299 w/ high capacity HDDs really starts to make the value proposition of the Wii less and less appealing.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see both systems over the Wii sometime this year if they don't drop the price.

Nobody complained about the PS2 slim. Why? Because it was a PS2 in a compact frame. This is, for a lot of owners who were more than willing to trade up (myself included), a downgrade. It's not super small, either.

It's what's on the inside that counts.
:(

Thunder Monkey said:
My outlook.

Maybe I'll feel pushed to get one when it's $199 or something. Doesn't look great, but I didn't like the regular PS3 design either.

Maybe next year.
Same sentiment. I want one for a couple of things like God of War, but the line-up doesn't excite me enough for me to feel justified to buy unless it can act as a full replacement for my my PS2 and the short list of games I still own for it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
F#A#Oo said:
Thank you for not answering my question. I've asked twice now.

With hardware revisions Sony doesn't have a track record of adding features. But they've left the features the same, and added more hard drive space in this version.

Firmware has added a lot of new functionality generally.

I don't agree that PS3 is 'regressing' so I can't answer why it's regressing. In terms of what happened to adding features, I think the above answers that.

Ettie

Do we need to stop yapping about backwards compatibility?

"It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Koller says with an air of finality. But it's all people ever talk about!

"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he claimed. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies."

"That won't be returning," he repeats.

It's important to me, John. Your points are valid, I don't like my current BD player and there are 17 exclusives on your system that I am really interested in.

I have 12 excellent PS2 games to finish. I have a 47inch LCD as my only system capable display and the PS2 doesn't scale well. I wanted (and still do) a PS3 as much for the upgrade in picture quality of older titles as for the play of new ones. (And the wife requests that the room have as few plugged in consoles as possible.)

So. Instead of going for your new machine, which is excellent otherwise, I will find a well kept 60GB unit used. I would have much preferred to give your company the money.

EDIT: Are there any other solutions that scale the picture quality of the PS2 higher than PS2 direct connection to display via component?

Gilgamesh

PS3 has always had some games that interest me, but it was never enough to justify a purchase between the other systems I'm buying games for. Now, though, I think it's time to jump in.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Ettenra said:
So. Instead of going for your new machine, which is excellent otherwise, I will find a well kept 60GB unit used. I would have much preferred to give your company the money.

Well you still will in a way. My buddy is selling his 60GB to buy a slim. So +1 NPD either way.

WinFonda

Autofokus said:
haha, nice IGN poll:

260cydz.jpg
:lol So voting for "No, I already have a PS3" is a vote for "No, I don't like the games library." Funny shit.

F#A#Oo

Banned
klokdol said:
You're really trying hard to find something bad to say about Sony..

Not at all...you think I own a PS3 for decoration?

The reason why I am being critical is because Sony plan on phasing out the chunky PS3 with this definately inferior PS3 and knowing my bad luck I'll have to replace my chunky with one of these in future and it makes me slightly peeved off that I would have to replace my PS3 with an inferior version.

TheBranca18 said:
Aw man, and I was looking forward to doing the running man in front of your avatar in Home.

Speaking of which, where the hell is the video of the conference? I thought it was supposed to be up in Home? I don't see it anywhere.
I'll probably have a PS3 before this generation is out.

I only wish to create alien characters for home, or human/animal hybrids.

If Sony allows me to create ThunderMonkey and his cage in Home I'll be a loyal PS fan forever. It's up to you Sony... please one fan? Or please none?

bmf said:
Same sentiment. I want one for a couple of things like God of War, but the line-up doesn't excite me enough for me to feel justified to buy unless it can act as a full replacement for my my PS2 and the short list of games I still own for it.
I actually sold off my PS2 collection when it uttered its last breath.

The only reason I want to buy a PS3 is a few scattershot titles, and maybe a few from the PS2 that I missed... oh wait! That's right! Sony took out the one thing they had going for them! BC!

Yikes. They should have had someone in charge willing to tell Kutaragi NO! at some of the points in the PS3's design.

Chittagong

Gold Member
great update from engadget

ps3slim-unboxing3-r9nbw-rm-eng.jpg

ps3slim-unboxing3-cxngu-rm-eng.jpg

The buttons in the front are now physical and actually "click" in to function. The PS logo above the disc drive does not rotate for vertical use, and yes, the hard drive is swappable -- as you can see from the pictures, there's a screw on the bottom, hidden by a panel, that lets you take off part of the front for access

Quincey

Banned

A fraction of the features? Really? It still plays PS3 games and blu-rays which is the most important thing. This system is not for the early adopters, it was created for the people who have yet to buy one, and for most those people they are perfectly fine with a smaller quieter ps3 that plays ps3 games and blu-rays. I am just surprised at all the bitching, this is exactly what sony fans have been asking for.

F#A#Oo said:
All I'm sayinf is there is a clear sign here that Sony in trying to get costs down might be using less then quality materials to reach their goals...

Fact is Sony has taken out something with each new iteration of the PS3...that is fact. So I'll ask again...what happened to adding features? Why must the PS3 regress?

No they have not. What exactly did the 80gb/160gb lack that the 40gb had? Neither have we had any indication that the ps3 slim is using cheaper quality parts, so unless such indications pop up, it's a bit silly to keep asking "but what part did Sony screw up here?!"

Moreover, why are you expecting any new iteration to add new hardware? What specific hardware components did you want Sony to add here? PS2 GS chip? As great as that would be, if it were feasible, it would not have been removed to begin with.

Foxix Von

Kittonwy said:
You can get a PS2 for cheap if and when you want to play PS2 games, can't you? In the mean time $299 is a good price to get into all the PS3 games you haven't tried.

Yes you can, however there is a certain convenience to having one box that can do everything. Also depending on the TV it can be an even bigger hassle. My PS2 games looked unbelievably wretched on my TV, like you wouldn't believe. Most games actually looked better for me using composite cables (sometimes). But I hooked it up through composite since some games looked better, however my TV wouldn't recognize PS1 games being output via that method.

The whole thing was really annoying until I bought my 60 gig triple, which upscales everything so I can actually see what's happening in PS2 games not to mention that I can finally play PS1 games hassle free now. Got rid of my PS2 and never looked back.

It's straight up just easier having one system that does it all vs needing 2 which just takes up space and doesn't even do the job as well.

VQ

Koller seems really confident on that there's a power brick indeed, but I haven't seen any in the pics and unboxing videos. Can anyone confirm whether it's internal or external?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ettenra said:
It's important to me, John. Your points are valid, I don't like my current BD player and there are 17 exclusives on your system that I am really interested in.

I have 12 excellent PS2 games to finish. I have a 47inch LCD as my only system capable display and the PS2 doesn't scale well. I wanted (and still do) a PS3 as much for the upgrade in picture quality of older titles as for the play of new ones. (And the wife requests that the room have as few plugged in consoles as possible.)

EDIT: Are there any other solutions that scale the picture quality of the PS2 higher than PS2 direct connection to display via component?
PS2 games don't look that great even on PS3.
If you want them to look nice, use a CRT.

(I have an original model ps3, and high end, calibrated HDTV)

the "upscaling" has been constantly overrated

Jostifer

Philanthropist said:
Koller seems really confident on that there's a power brick indeed, but I haven't seen any in the pics and unboxing videos. Can anyone confirm whether it's internal or external?
You don't believe your eyes seeing those unboxing videos?

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
Well I read the Art Technica article and like it was rumoured, Other OS has been removed...

A bit disapointed, but what I am bit more worried is it only removed due to the hardware revision and only affect the slim or is it going to be remove from Firmware 3.0? (I own an orginal 60gb PS3 with all the bell and whistle and not interested in getting neutered).

Also is there other features that was removed? I know like playing SACD was removed with the 40gb from what I remember.

TheBranca18 said:
So there were no whiners about the lack of HDD in the PS2 Slim? Because as far as I know, it didn't support it. That's akin to bitching about all those memory card ports.

It has two less USB ports than the original PS3.

It doesn't have memory card ports.

It doesn't have BC for PS2 games.

Am I missing anything else? Can I call you out on your hyperbole?
The lack of a HDD on the PS2 slim means you couldn't play FFXI. It still allowed you to play the gigantic PSOne library.

Anyway, no, I don't believe you are missing anything! It's a huge feature list for those who own PS3s that DO play BC games, and do have all of those extra doodads. And personally, I can live with less ports. I'll use a card reader hooked to a USB. However, not being able to play my PS2 games makes it a dead deal.

Like I said, older PS3 owners mostly don't care that the system is marginally smaller. It still takes up a lot of space, and the square design is not flattering at all. It's nowhere near the PS2 slim in overall sexy design.

Quincey said:
A fraction of the features? Really? It still plays PS3 games and blu-rays which is the most important thing. This system is not for the early adopters, it was created for the people who have yet to buy one, and for most those people they are perfectly fine with a smaller quieter ps3 that plays ps3 games and blu-rays. I am just surprised at all the bitching, this is exactly what sony fans have been asking for.
I'm not referring to new customers, and I said that in my reply. I'd direct them toward the slimmer model.

:\

bob_100

Banned
Just wanted to say that having looked at the photos of the new slim i think the phat ps3 looks better and seems to have a "more expensive feel" to it.

Just to note that
1) I prefer the touch sensitive buttons rather than actual buttons on the slim
2) Also i prefer the piano black finish of the original phat ps3 rather than the finish on the slim
3) I also prefer the writing and font of the name "Playstation 3" rather than the Ps3 slim
4) Also cannot install linux as Other OS has been removed
5) Also there is no rotating PS symbol on the slim:lol

The slim just looks like a bit cheap in my opinion when compared to the original phat PS3

CoG

androvsky said:
Yeah, ars just updated their article. If Koller can't even get that right, I'm wondering how confused he was over PS2 BC... I wouldn't be surprised if he thinking about hardware BC.

Someday, somehow, somebody's going to ask Sony a question about PS2 BC and actually follow it up with some clarification.

Koller did what we like to call a "Shane Kim".

MarkusRJR

Just a fast question...

Does the PS3/PSP PSN require a credit card to sign up (or for purchasing downloadable content)?

If I get one, I'll be using PSN cards bought from a store. :\

Jostifer said:
You don't believe your eyes seeing those unboxing videos?

I do, but they don't stop to show every cable. I guess if there was a brick they would have shown it though, but I find it funny an official rep is so confident that it is there.

klokdol

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Not at all...you think I own a PS3 for decoration?

The reason why I am being critical is because Sony plan on phasing out the chunky PS3 with this definately inferior PS3 and knowing my bad luck I'll have to replace my chunky with one of these in future and it makes me slightly peeved off that I would have to replace my PS3 with an inferior version.

And I disagree completely. :lol

This slim PS3 has exactly the same features as the old 80 Gb or 160 Gb PS3. Backward compatibility is the only important thing missing from the first 60 Gb models, but that's not a big deal when a PS2 costs 10$.

It's just cheaper and slimmer.

Plus, I think PS2 compatibility will come back one way or the other in 2009 or 2010 by software emulation. It's technically possible and Sony would win too much money...

F#A#Oo

Banned
H_Prestige said:
No they have not. What exactly did the 80gb/160gb lack that the 40gb had? Neither have we had any indication that the ps3 slim is using cheaper quality parts, so unless such indications pop up, it's a bit silly to keep asking "but what part did Sony screw up here?!".

BC? :lol :D

H_Prestige said:
Moreover, why are you expecting any new iteration to add new hardware? What specific hardware components did you want Sony to add here? PS2 GS chip? As great as that would be, if it were feasible, it would not have been removed to begin with.

Because typically when companies introduce a newer generation of an existing product line there is usually an improvement and very rarely do companies regress their products and if and when they do there is usually a very good reason for it.

borsdy

Banned
Intruder_qc said:
A bit disapointed, but what I am bit more worried is it only removed due to the hardware revision and only affect the slim or is it going to be remove from Firmware 3.0? (I own an orginal 60gb PS3 with all the bell and whistle and not interested in getting neutered).
I think this is only for the slim model :)

Dr. Light

gofreak said:
Getting the price down and getting an opportunity to inject some fresh buzz is vastly more important than a shiny finish.

Vs the current ps3 there's been no cutting of hardware, there's been an improvement on the hdd size, and improvement on size/power/noise (apparently).

Vs the very first models the only notable removal was the GS, IMO. And they've added a tonne of functionality via firmware in the interim...PS2 BC aside the PS3 whether it's a fat or a slim is a much better machine now than it was then.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Compared to current fat models: has cheap clicky buttons instead of touchpad, loses support for installing Linux, looks cheaper in general (because it is, that's the point, but it's still inferior).

Compared to launch 60gb units: has half the usb ports (2 vs. 4) loses all the memory card slots, has no Super Audio CD support, has no PS2 support.

What were you saying again?

Phreak47

lupinko said:
:lol :lol :lol

Given its price and what it can do, the PS3 is still the best BD player. Hell you can go to a lot of Audio-Video forum/communities and they will all still say the same thing, especially now with its $299 price tag.

Yeah really... it does not bitstream hidef audio codecs but that is about it... but all that means is that the PS3 decodes them and passes them as PCM to your receiver, and you still get the same sound. So it's literally just a matter of not seeing "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS HD Master" light up on your receiver and that's it.

My launch 60GB has sustained flawless playback performance, so on that end the PS3 is still living up to its initial stellar HW reliability rating (finally, huh?)

Snowden

Banned
LiK said:
anyone willing to pay $100 more for a Slim with PS2 BC?
Stupid question. It wouldn't cost Sony $100 more to include the chip. They save money on it, but not that much.

The real point was to drive consumers to purchase more PS3 software. Tretton admitted to this when they first removed BC. It's faulty logic and I disagree with it, but their reasoning here isn't solely based on cost. It's unfortunate that they haven't reevaluated their approach on this point as they have with so much else.

F#A#Oo said:
BC? :lol :D

Because typically when companies introduce a newer generation of an existing product line there is usually an improvement and very rarely do companies regress their products and if and when they do there is usually a very good reason for it.

Yes, BC is gone (which the 40gb didn't have btw, so I don't know what you're laughing at). That is indeed a regression. But it has nothing to do with the slim since it was removed with the 40gb almost two years ago. Why were you expecting hardware BC to come back?

What other hardware regressions are there? I see none. In fact each new sku does progress. Bigger hdd (40gb-> 80gb->120gb), smaller, cooler chips that generate much less heat and consequently lead to a lighter and more quiet system, and all for the same price or less as the preceding sku.

Top Bottom