• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Raist

Banned
Machado said:
what are the prices for PSN games?

Yeah, price is extremely variable. Sometimes there are some good sales as well, with big price drops.

Also, added to the OP the bit about bitstream DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MA.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Good thread there should be one of these for each system!

Anyway my PS3 recommendations (keeping it exclusive):

Retail :
Uncharted
MGS4
Infamous
MLB The Show 09
LBP
R&C: FTOD
Killzone 2
R:FOM

PSN:
Flower
Shatter
SSHD
Pixel Junk Games (all)
WipeOutHD (I can't believe I forgot my favorite fuckin game this gen in my OP)

I'm likely forgetting some winners but those are the ones that standout.

Alex said:
If this is true I am going to start crying.

Explain how, I still kind of doubt I overlooked anything considering I was getting up to watch TV during certain battles where the AI was literally taking 10 minutes to complete a turn

Late reply, but as I recall I just mashed X or start or something. It would skip the animations or the entire turn, though I don't remember well, as I played the game like six months ago.

noah111

Still Alive
Raist said:
You should probably mention only audiophiles with hardcore surround sound systems will even notice a difference. :D

Raist said:
Yeah, price is extremely variable. Sometimes there are some good sales as well, with big price drops.

Nothing about my beloved Photo Viewer yet? :(

Also, I didn't see it in your OP, but I thought it would be handy to include this link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

Sony said:
You can update your system software by any of the following methods:

System Update »
Update using the PS3™ system's [System Update] feature.
Update using a PC »
Download update data using a PC and save on storage media* or a USB Mass Storage device. Copy the update data to the PS3™ system's hard disk drive and perform the update.
Update using disc media »
Update using update data that is included on a game disc.
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system.

FoeHammer

Great OP, however I didn't see anything regarding trophies. Do they work like achievements and have any of the older games been patched to use them?

Raist

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Nothing about my beloved Photo Viewer yet? :(

Also, I didn't see it in your OP, but I thought it would be handy to include this link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

Done and done.

FoeHammer said:
Great OP, however I didn't see anything regarding trophies. Do they work like achievements and have any of the older games been patched to use them?

Basically, yes, same stuff. Some older games have been patched to include trophy support (Stardust HD, flOw is upcoming) and some others not (e.g RFoM).

Owensboro

I'll help with the game recommendations, but I'm only going to list exclusives:
Based on how much fun I've had with each game (only ones I own of course):

1) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
1) Valkyria Chronicles
3) Infamous
4) Killzone 2
4) MGS4
6) (PSN) Shatter
7) (PSN) Pixeljunk Eden
8) Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
8) LittleBigPlanet
9) Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
10) Wipeout HD

Tailzo

Top party games:
Buzz
Singstar
Everybody's Golf: World Tour

Top online games:
Warhawk
Burnout Paradise

Top platformers:
Little Big Planet
Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

Top Adventure / action adventure games:
MGS4
Uncharted
Folklore
Heavenly Sword

Top RPG / strategy rpg
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea 3

Top imports:
Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan
Ryu Ga Gotoku 3

Top PSN games:
PJ Monsters
PJ Eden
Noby Noby Boy

Here's another list of great exclusives.

Demon's Souls
Folklore
inFamous
Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
Valkyria Chronicles
Warhawk

Flower
PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Monsters
Shatter
Super Stardust HD
WipEout HD
ZEN Pinball

noah111

Still Alive
jett said:
I wonder just how many gaffers bought or intend to buy a PS3 in the near future.
I've seen quite a bit of people saying they will in the slim thread.

SmokyDave said:
One thing every PS3 owner needs is a duster. Even if you play the thing 24/7 it just LOVES dust.
Say hello to Mr. Matte :D

By the way, does anyone have a grand long list of PS3/PSN games ever released? I wouldn't mind going through the list and deleting whatever isn't worth buying/what's worth renting etc.

Raist

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
4 pages and no one mentions supersonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars?

An excellent PSN title IMO.

Loos like it won't make the cut :p. Also, 2 pages, not 4 >:[

I've added a few more advices in the game sharing section, so that people really understand that it is not a 100% safe process and there can be issues related to it, especially in case of hardware failures, and sharing with "strangers".

Maybe I'll update the OP later to break down the FAQ into subsections (HW, SW, etc.)

Awesome thread, Raist! :D You may also want to add that the slim also supports the "Bravia Sync" (HDMI-CEC) feature so you can control the PS3 with your Bravia remote.

Raist

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
Awesome thread, Raist! :D You may also want to add that the slim also supports the "Bravia Sync" (HDMI-CEC) feature so you can control the PS3 with your Bravia remote.

And done :p

meppi

Don't forget about Crash Commando.

Such a fun game and actually one of my favourite PS3 games even.
So sad to always see it getting ignored. :(

Firestorm

Q. I have connection issues. It's not stable/voice chat is crappy/etc.
A. Make sure that you have an adequate NAT type. You can check it under System>Network.
Type 1 = Direct connection between your PS3 and your modem. Good.
Type 2 = Your PS3 accesses the internetz through a router. Good.
Type 3 = Bad. To get rid of Type 3, you can either: use the UPnP mode if you router supports it, or set your PS3's IP as DMZ. Opening ports manually might help as well, but there is no real official list and it can be tricky if you don't already know how to do it.
It's really not that hard.

1. Select Router From List: http://www.portforward.com/
2. Skip Advertisement and click Sony PlayStation 3
3. Follow instructions

You'll have to set a static IP for your PS3 in either case (Port Forwarding or DMZ)

For Canadians on Telus' Siemens SE567 router, you can port forward or DMZ if you're using a wired connection. If using wireless, you HAVE to enable UPnP. I tried everything and that's the only way to get it to work wirelessly. Wired worked fine without though.

entremet

Here are my picks:
Retail
Uncharted
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ridge Racer 7
Little Big Planet

PSN
flOw
Flower
Super Stardust HD plus expansions
Wipeout HD plus Fury

Raist

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's really not that hard.

1. Select Router From List: http://www.portforward.com/
2. Skip Advertisement and click Sony PlayStation 3
3. Follow instructions

You'll have to set a static IP for your PS3 in either case (Port Forwarding or DMZ)

For Canadians on Telus' Siemens SE567 router, you can port forward or DMZ if you're using a wired connection. If using wireless, you HAVE to enable UPnP. I tried everything and that's the only way to get it to work wirelessly. Wired worked fine without though.

Well, it's not, except for people who have no clue how to redirect ports and since there are one billion routers with different interfaces out there, it can be tricky to help them.
That is unless you know of this website. Thanks a lot, added to OP!

Justin Dailey said:
4 pages and no one mentions supersonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars?

An excellent PSN title IMO.

Seconding. I helped make the game though so I am biased, but I will go cry now if we don't make the cut ;(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Real Triggers , must buy for PS3 owners

41cSzuq-LFL._SS400_.jpg

Totobeni said:

41cSzuq-LFL._SS400_.jpg
I'd like these much better if they had just a very slight upward curve. They're curved WAY too far for me! I know a lot of other people like them, though.

Totobeni said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cSzuq-LFL._SS400_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Just ordered these. :D
I am also going to buy a DS3 asap, my SIXAXIS' sticks aren't what they were when I bought the console. :lol

Snowman

I've never played an MGS game and i'm wondering if I could just start playing the 4th one and still enjoy it enough for it to be worth buying?

kodt

Banned
Snowman said:
I've never played an MGS game and i'm wondering if I could just start playing the 4th one and still enjoy it enough for it to be worth buying?

You probably will enjoy it because it is a great game but honestly there is so much in that game that makes more sense and is so much more enjoyable if you know what is going on. TBH I would not recommend playing it until you have played the first 3.

If however you will never play the first 3, well then go ahead and play it because the game should not be skipped. But you will probably want to go back and play the first 3 at that point and then will regret not playing them in order. :D

kodt said:
You probably will enjoy it because it is a great game but honestly there is so much in that game that makes more sense and is so much more enjoyable if you know what is going on. TBH I would not recommend playing it until you have played the first 3.

If however you will never play the first 3, well then go ahead and play it because the game should not be skipped. But you will probably want to go back and play the first 3 at that point and then will regret not playing them in order. :D
I never played the first 3 and went straight to #4. I was confused about the storyline most of the time, but it was still awesome! :lol

Snowman said:

I never played any MGS before buying MGS4: GotP.
I was blown away like never before in my life. I never had such an experience with movies, books, other games etc.
I mean, I read all these great things about MGS, I was hyped - but the game itself surpassed my craziest dreams. It was the 1st (and, atm, the last) game that, BY FAR, exceeded my hype for it.

Raist

Banned
Added this to the OP for people who'd like to get a PS2 BC enabled PS3.
Hope there's no mistake.

Q. I really want PS2 BC! I'm going to track down an older SKU. What should I know to avoid being scammed?
A. Since it can be easily replaced, the HDD's size is absolutely no indication as to whether the console is BC enabled or not. The only reliable clues are:
- Number of USB ports. All SKUs with PS2 BC have 4.
- Serial number. This helps too, and also allows you to know whether you'll get a "near-perfect BC" SKU, or a "not-so-perfect-but-still-decent BC" SKU.
Serials for full HW BC start with: CECHA (launch NTSC 60GB), CECHB (launch NTSC 20GB).
Serials for HW/SW BC start with: CECHC (launch PAL 60GB), CECHE (early 80GB SKUs).

Since it seems to be asked a lot, also added infos on memory card readers.

Dizzle24

Folklore for sure. This was my second game when I got a PS3 in 2007...and I loved it. Im not an RPG fan at all, and this game was great. The only RPG elements really are the "use selected Folk to kill ____ Folk x amount of times to level up." Quite fun. :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If you enter the world of PS3, you better make damn sure you get a nice little surround sound system. Anyway,

Retail (only doing exclusives):
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Uncharted
3. Heavenly Sword (fuck the haters, should be cheap anyway)
4. Ratchet & Clank Future
5. Killzone 2

PSN (which is GREAT)
1. WipEout HD
2. Flower
3. PixelJunk Eden
4. SSHD
5. Fat Princess

And of course all the PS1 classics and ports of other systems.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Don't get the triggers right away, you might actually like the original, yeah crazy I know. I love playing Burnout and MotorStorm with the triggers

I need the PSP version of this thread.

As for the real triggers, for me they were kind of a disappointment. They were a small improvement but there is something still not right about those buttons. They're too mushy. They need stronger springs or something like that.

CrayzeeCarl said:
I'd like these much better if they had just a very slight upward curve. They're curved WAY too far for me! I know a lot of other people like them, though.

Agreed, it's way too exaggerated a curve...to the point where it becomes uncomfortable to not rest your finger on the trigger (perhaps that's just me). It just feels weird, I couldn't use them for very long. Not to mention they kept popping off during intense sessions. I suppose some adhesive would solve that, but that's a big decision to make for such bulky triggers.

I can see how it'd help someone making the transition from 360, though...as ZZMitch said. I wouldn't stick with them permanently, but they might be nice to help wean yourself onto the DS3 at first. Plus they're only like $5, so it's a pretty inexpensive option to at least try.

SonComet

Foxix said:
THIS!!!! Buy far the best friggen 5 dollars I've spent on the system so far. Good god these are amazing.

VQ
I'm probably the only person in the world who bought those triggers and didn't like them. They make the triggers stick out too far imho. Now if Sony would shape their triggers like that without the extra thickness that would be great.

WTFing

Banned
Great and well done thread Raist.

My favs:
Uncharted
MGS4
Demon's souls (hard)
Killzone2
LBP

PSN:
Wipeout
The last guy
PJ Eden
PJ Monsters
Trash panic (hard)

There's more of course.

edit:
SonComet said:
I'm probably the only person in the world who bought those triggers and didn't like them. They make the triggers stick out too far imho. Now if Sony would shape their triggers like that without the extra thickness that would be great.
I bought those triggers because they are cheap, and I don't use them anymore. In fact I prefer the DS3 as it is. I can't play gt5p or wipeout with the triggers.

Drame

If you're thinking of writing messages to your friends often, or joining one of the GAFchats for a certain PS3 game, I highly recommend the official PS3 Wireless Keypad.
Of course, you can use a normal USB-keyboard, but the thing I like about the Keypad is the size and hotkeys. Also, as you always have it on your reach. Messaging in game is really fast, and easy.

Top Bottom