• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DA:Inquisition, so long it feels like a chore

JeffG

The game is generally well done and only falters against the highest of standards. It's no miracle nor a revelation, but it managed to do a lot fairly well. It was also released at a time prime for the next gen on the press.

Also, though it may not appear so, the median of gaf's feelings about this game is more positive than negative.

If someone has OCD, they may want to skip the game. The flaw in the game is that the content doesn't match the size.

If someone can just say "no" and ignore the side quests and the shards, they probably would enjoy it.

I can blast through the game in less than 30 hrs now.

RDreamer

It also falls apart if you're one of those discriminating "I only want to do the interesting stuff" sorts of gamers.

Meh, I loved it. My friends fucking loved it. Only place I see people so vehemently hate it is here. I always felt like I had something interesting to do or learn or hear from my group. It was one of the more pleasant gaming experiences I've ever had.

spekkeh

Banned
To be honest, I liked it too, more than DA:O, but you definitely can't finish the game without an unhealthy dose of tedium due to the Power mechanic and the lack of transparency of which quests were meaningful.

Yasae

Banned
A vocal minority that was always going to form no matter the quality of the game does not sprout the mythical objective critical truth.
Nor do scores, nor do GOTYs. Those mean absolutely nothing. Points mean everything.

What gets skewed is weighting. Some people don't mind the fetch quests. Some people think they're a drag. Can we then say fetch quests are good? Why? They're merely an obstacle which are weighed differently. No rebuttals ever address this, it keeps going unanswered with half-ass solutions in the meantime. How many conclusions can be drawn about the quality of content? All of the positive reviews I read either skipped and hopped over the game's major pitfalls or barely thought such flaws existed, regardless of how much time a player actually spends working through these ugly features. The cruddy aspects of DA:I are like cavities: excruciating when prodded. Chasms of design thought.

Are fetch quests objectively bad? I suppose not, but after sifting through them for 20 years and then playing a game which boldly features them, might they not get a little old? I'd be taken aback to hear an argument which sets them up as, say, invigorating, original, complex, varied, or that they constitute a small portion of the game. None of those descriptors are correct whether anyone finds them to be (pretends) or not.

TheChaos

It was a great game that a vocal minority whines about.

I think a lot of people here got their hearts broken by what direction the series ended up going. DA:O was marketed as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and each game afterwards is drifting further and further from that type of game instead of refining and polishing the formula.

The blow is softened by other games pooping up that scratch that itch (PoE, Shadowrun) but it still kind of hurts when you think back to Baldur's Gate II and how they will never produce a game of that caliber ever again.

erawsd

My question is, how did this get so many GOTY nominations from critics?

Their job is to objectively critique games, yet when ever I come into a GAF thread the base design of this game is getting torn to shreds.

This game was obviously aimed at the mainstream (streamlined, filler quest design, simple combat, etc) but what happened critically?

My understanding is that a lot of sites survey the bulk of their staff, not just the editorial team. So even on the critic side it ends up being a bit of a popularity contest of what game did the most people enjoy the most. I recall someone saying that they didnt even bother defending Bayonetta during deliberations because he knew hardly anyone else had played.

The game would have been much better had they not made the bizarre decision to completely isolate main/companion quests from the overworld exploration. They made some pretty great open areas with a lot of variety, they just lacked any real compelling things to do in them. Just toss in a major quest or two in each area and the game would have been much better.

Still had a lot of fun with the 70 hours I put in, but I was getting pretty burnt out by the end. I think they have the base of a great game, they just need to put the extra work in.

Also the best story moment in the game is the after-credits scene, it's pretty fucking awesome.

prudislav

Their job is to objectively critique games, yet when ever I come into a GAF thread the base design of this game is getting torn to shreds.

This game was obviously aimed at the mainstream (streamlined, filler quest design, simple combat, etc) but what happened critically?
its quite easy: lack of any real concurence around the date and on new consoles, massive marketing, high production values, shiny graphics and actiony wowlike gameplay (even though tactical is fucked up espeially on PC , but mainstream dont care about that)

Denton

Even Gaider admits being impressed with how Witcher did quest design and characters...here is hoping for their next game they will get some inspiration, because this generic shit really doesn't cut it for me. I have always hated MMOs I tried, with only exception being Secret World, and DAI really felt a bit like one from the little I played.

GavinUK86

Even Gaider admits being impressed with how Witcher did quest design and characters...here is hoping for their next game they will get some inspiration, because this generic shit really doesn't cut it for me. I have always hated MMOs I tried, with only exception being Secret World, and DAI really felt a bit like one from the little I played.

Shame he doesn't work at Bioware anymore. The next Dragon Age game will probably be even more streamlined.

I really think they were sprinkling LSD in the water, I can't explain otherwise how this game was so well liked when it was released.
80% of it is boring collectathons, chores, cleaning shards, taking resources and some of the most mind numbing side quests with a minimum effort in them I've seen in my life. Like, seriously, I couldn't believe it. In other games there is a certain filler content, like 5% of the game, or 10%, of 15%. Here it's more like 65%. There is so much that even arguing it's optional isn't so clear, it's hard to avoid it with the amount there is! And the side quests don't even have a acknowledgment dialog when you do it, and the briefing part is always the blandest thing you could imagine. From dozens, I've got to see maybe two that were kind of decent.
All this In the first map... and in all the rest. The myth of "go past the Hinterlands" was hilarious.

If the combat was good you could always turn off your brain and have fun killing mofos, but the combat doesn't get to feel good in the "direct control" mode (in comparison with other games with direct control, like the Witcher 3 or any action game) nor in the "tactical" mode as the camera and controls are infuriating (in comparison with other games designed from the start for a tactical experience, like PoE, Shadowrun, Divinity, etc). It tries to do both and in the end fails at both.

I think its the fact that it was almost like the equivalent of an Oscar bait movie, coming out at just the right time at the end of the year so it was fresh in reviewer's heads for GOTY awards and it was a really weak year for any similar "AAA" budget RPGs. Its a game that generally makes a nice first impression if you're starved for a BioWare style RPG with generally attractive graphics and nice production values. Almost in a similar situation as Oblivion was last generation, Inquisition was kind of the first big AAA RPG to get on new consoles.

To me, the game makes a real nice first impression up to what happens in Haven where the repetition of everything that follows isn't readily apparent. So with how reviewers probably burn through games, I kind of wonder whether they got that generally nice first impression and then wrote most of their reviews based on that?

I think if Inquisition came out this year, there is zero chance it would have garnered as many game of the year awards as it did last year. Between TW3 and probably Fallout, DAI probably wouldn't have even gotten many AAA RPG of the year awards

To be honest, I liked it too, more than DA:I, but you definitely can't finish the game without an unhealthy dose of tedium due to the Power mechanic and the lack of transparency of which quests were meaningful.

The bolded is a huge problem I had with DAI. I enjoy the story and lore to DA so I ended up doing most of the junk collectable quests like the shards and so on, thinking at least there might be some grand narrative payoff or acknowledgment to doing all that. But nope, closing all the rifts doesn't do anything different than closing the bare minimum. But the game doesn't communicate that at all to you, it just places those quests right alongside any other quest in your journal.

That's what I love about The Witcher is that the repeatable junk activities like monster nests or bandit camps are not even qualified as proper "quests," which is the right way to go about it. Of course if DAI took that approach, probably the only thing left in the journal would be the main questlines.

Game really takes the cake for Most Incompetent and Least Compelling Villain of all time, I mean goddamn.

Which is a complete travesty too considering the lore of the character and everything he'd have been involved in, he should have been one of the most compelling characters in the game. Instead BioWare found a way to make what should have been a great iconic villain into a Scooby Doo bad guy reject.

The game would have been much better had they not made the bizarre decision to completely isolate main/companion quests from the overworld exploration. They made some pretty great open areas with a lot of variety, they just lacked any real compelling things to do in them. Just toss in a major quest or two in each area and the game would have been much better.

Which, again, comparing it to something like The Witcher, comes across as a huge problem in their core design. Why bother with all this exploration and big zones when the majority of the time the actual story bits are in completely disconnected instanced zones? The times when the main story threads make use of the actual existing world like some of Crestwood or the one bit with the Western Approach were good. Yet within that same plotline they have the battle at Adamant in its own instanced zone. Why not have Adamant be some location connected to the Western Approach? Better yet, why not have all those similar desert areas just one huge map? Kind of how Velen and Novigrad bleed together in TW3?

Even beyond the quests though, I still can't fathom why there are no cities or even really towns in the game. Redcliffe is about as big of a city you're exposed to in the game, despite having Val Royeaux in it, which is supposed to be one of the biggest cities in the world of DA. I'm guessing its a technical issue but if that's the case, then maybe using Frostbite wasn't the best idea for an RPG.

Shame he doesn't work at Bioware anymore. The next Dragon Age game will probably be even more streamlined.

Gaider is still at BioWare working on their new unannounced IP. He's just not working on DA anymore. Which is a shame if they keep trying to bring back characters he wrote for like Alistair or Morrigan. Then again, I guess he could write those parts if need be since he's still at BioWare.

Denton

He works at Bioware, just not on DA anymore. Heads some new unnanounced project.
Here is the interview
http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/330753/David+Gaider:+Storytelling,+Dragon+Age+and+BioWare/

I really think they were sprinkling LSD in the water, I can't explain otherwise how this game was so well liked when it was released.
80% of it is boring collectathons, chores, cleaning shards, taking resources and some of the most mind numbing side quests with a minimum effort in them I've seen in my life. Like, seriously, I couldn't believe it. In other games there is a certain filler content, like 5% of the game, or 10%, of 15%. Here it's more like 65%. There is so much that even arguing it's optional isn't so clear, it's hard to avoid it with the amount there is! And the side quests don't even have a acknowledgment dialog when you do it, and the briefing part is always the blandest thing you could imagine. From dozens, I've got to see maybe two that were kind of decent.
All this In the first map... and in all the rest. The myth of "go past the Hinterlands" was hilarious.

If the combat was good you could always turn off your brain and have fun killing mofos, but the combat doesn't get to feel good in the "direct control" mode (in comparison with other games with direct control, like the Witcher 3 or any action game) nor in the "tactical" mode as the camera and controls are infuriating (in comparison with other games designed from the start for a tactical experience, like PoE, Shadowrun, Divinity, etc). It tries to do both and in the end fails at both.

Had the exact same impression of combat.
God dammit if it was at least on steam I could have gotten a refund.

Still had a lot of fun with the 70 hours I put in, but I was getting pretty burnt out by the end. I think they have the base of a great game, they just need to put the extra work in.

Also the best story moment in the game is the after-credits scene, it's pretty fucking awesome.

This so much. Ever since Mass Effect 2 story quests have been segregated from exploration/hub areas as de facto corridor shooters/hack and slashers. Dragon Age Origins/ME1 had most major story dungeons as actual overworld locations one could return to. ME2, ME3, DA2 and DAI make them seem as if they were designed by a separate team who had no real idea of what the exploration area design staff were doing until the last minute when everything was integrated. The few areas that don't have this problem - the Hinterlands early on, Crestwood - are incredibly promising.

Ultimately I suspect the real problem with DAI is not any of its parts, all of which are generally improved from previous games. The problem is that the Bioware transition from creative to corporate is now complete and the game was clearly developed by separate teams assigned isolated tasks - story areas, exploration areas, Skyhold/Companion - with only a weak overarching vision as to what the complete product was supposed to be. Bioware clearly had ideas of what they wanted to be in the game, but no clear vision of what they wanted the game to actually be.

That said there is way too much DAI bashing. It is AAA the RPG, and those who wanted BG2 were never going to be happy, but it is a relatively good entry in a mediocre to good series, the individual parts of which are mostly well-done. In effect it is AC2/4 the RPG, a solid 7.5-8/10 game that was blown up by critics and Gafers upon release into a 9/10 one because of the lack of any serious competition in the genre on consoles(it was basically the only next-gen RPG in their first year of release, and the only good one in the first 18 months). Now that an actual next-gen RPG has come out, one that was not crippled in development by the need to be cross-platform(the Witcher 3) and which admittedly is a more coherent experience better catering to the Post-Game of Thrones fantasy market, everyone is asserting that because DAI is inferior to Witcher III in almost every way that somehow makes it a 4 or 5/10. That's absurd. And as a test of that, does anyone actually want to argue it is not still the second best RPG on next-gen consoles. Or does someone really want to make the case for the quality of Type-0 HD, which is a real 5-6/10 experience. There you can find real examples of genuinely poor level design, repetitive game-play, and dreadful writing as opposed to adaquate but not amazing in DAI.

Taruranto

I'm starting to think Gaider really suffered from amnesia and he forgot he worked on BG2.

erawsd

This so much. Ever since Mass Effect 2 story quests have been segregated from exploration/hub areas as de facto corridor shooters/hack and slashers. Dragon Age Origins/ME1 had most major story dungeons as actual overworld locations one could return to. ME2, ME3, DA2 and DAI make them seem as if they were designed by a separate team who had no real idea of what the exploration area design staff were doing until the last minute when everything was integrated. The few areas that don't have this problem - the Hinterlands early on, Crestwood - are incredibly promising.

Ultimately I suspect the real problem with DAI is not any of its parts, all of which are generally improved from previous games. The problem is that the Bioware transition from creative to corporate is now complete and the game was clearly developed by separate teams assigned isolated tasks - story areas, exploration areas, Skyhold/Companion - with only a weak overarching vision as to what the complete product was supposed to be. Bioware clearly had ideas of what they wanted to be in the game, but no clear vision of what they wanted the game to actually be.

That said there is way too much DAI bashing. It is AAA the RPG, and those who wanted BG2 were never going to be happy, but it is a relatively good entry in a mediocre to good series, the individual parts of which are mostly well-done. In effect it is AC2/4 the RPG, a solid 7.5-8/10 game that was blown up by critics and Gafers upon release into a 9/10 one because of the lack of any serious competition in the genre on consoles(it was basically the only next-gen RPG in their first year of release, and the only good one in the first 18 months). Now that an actual next-gen RPG has come out, one that was not crippled in development by the need to be cross-platform(the Witcher 3) and which admittedly is a more coherent experience better catering to the Post-Game of Thrones fantasy market, everyone is asserting that because DAI is inferior to Witcher III in almost every way that somehow makes it a 4 or 5/10. That's absurd. And as a test of that, does anyone actually want to argue it is not still the second best RPG on next-gen consoles. Or does someone really want to make the case for the quality of Type-0 HD, which is a real 5-6/10 experience. There you can find real examples of genuinely poor level design, repetitive game-play, and dreadful writing as opposed to adaquate but not amazing in DAI.

To be fair people, were already dumping on DA:I long before Witcher was released. Now they just have something to make more apt comparisons to.

Now that an actual next-gen RPG has come out, one that was not crippled in development by the need to be cross-platform(the Witcher 3) and which admittedly is a more coherent experience better catering to the Post-Game of Thrones fantasy market, everyone is asserting that because DAI is inferior to Witcher III in almost every way that somehow makes it a 4 or 5/10. That's absurd. And as a test of that, does anyone actually want to argue it is not still the second best RPG on next-gen consoles. Or does someone really want to make the case for the quality of Type-0 HD, which is a real 5-6/10 experience. There you can find real examples of genuinely poor level design, repetitive game-play, and dreadful writing as opposed to adaquate but not amazing in DAI.

After having played 100+ hours in The Witcher 3 (and still not done with my first playthrough), DAI just retroactively becomes ever more disappointing in so many different ways. I don't hate DAI or anything even close, but I can definitely feel for the people that think its designed as a pretty mind numbing single player MMO with your typical "AAA" budget production values but pretty piss poor, unimaginative design.

The grand disappointment for me with DA:I is that The Witcher 3 is basically what I wanted out of a semi-open world, story driven RPG, so its not like its some impossible thing to achieve. That's almost across the board- from quests that feel imaginative and having some really touching moments with characters. I just want all that in the DA setting with the DA characters, all of which I really like.

Hell, just look at how CDPR used Ciri with the player able to control her for short bits to tell her story first hand. Why couldn't BioWare do something cool like that to allow the player to play as an old player character like the Warden or Hawke first hand for short story bits? Its stuff like that which makes DAI feel really stodgy and uninspired in its design compared to The Witcher. Its like BioWare is completely risk averse in terms of design and they're just aping bland MMO's or Ubisoft for their design goals.

Even going beyond the comparisons to The Witcher 3 and DAI, all BioWare needed to do was look at Origins. Just make Origins in terms of combat and the world but with zones slightly bigger and more explorable. I just find it hilarious how many of the design shortcomings in DA2 or DAI are problems that were not present in DA:O. It really becomes clear that the guys running DA as a franchise now (Laidlaw and Darrah) really didn't have a strong hand in developing Origins from the ground up but just stepped in to finish off the console ports after the game was basically done.

Corsick

After having played 100+ hours in The Witcher 3 (and still not done with my first playthrough), DAI just retroactively becomes ever more disappointing in so many different ways. I don't hate DAI or anything even close, but I can definitely feel for the people that think its designed as a pretty mind numbing single player MMO with your typical "AAA" budget production values but pretty piss poor, unimaginative design.

The grand disappointment for me with DA:I is that The Witcher 3 is basically what I wanted out of a semi-open world, story driven RPG, so its not like its some impossible thing to achieve. That's almost across the board- from quests that feel imaginative and having some really touching moments with characters. I just want all that in the DA setting with the DA characters, all of which I really like.

Hell, just look at how CDPR used Ciri with the player able to control her for short bits to tell her story first hand. Why couldn't BioWare do something cool like that to allow the player to play as an old player character like the Warden or Hawke first hand for short story bits? Its stuff like that which makes DAI feel really stodgy and uninspired in its design compared to The Witcher. Its like BioWare is completely risk averse in terms of design and they're just aping bland MMO's or Ubisoft for their design goals.

Even going beyond the comparisons to The Witcher 3 and DAI, all BioWare needed to do was look at Origins. Just make Origins in terms of combat and the world but with zones slightly bigger and more explorable. I just find it hilarious how many of the design shortcomings in DA2 or DAI are problems that were not present in DA:O. It really becomes clear that those guys really didn't have a strong hand in developing Origins but just stepped in to finish off the console ports after the game was basically done.

This bolded part has been my experience. Bioware got absolutely schooled by CDPR imo. Recent Bioware games come across as vapid and cookie cutter compared to The Witcher series if I'm being brutally honest. I don't know if Bioware has the talent to make something like The Witcher series. Nor do I think they're even willing to put in that kind of effort to match the quality and volume of side quests either.

spekkeh

Banned
For all the praise Witcher 3's getting, I find the quest structure only slightly better. There's an awful lot of sure I'll help you if you first do a, b, and c. And then when you reach a it's sure I'll help you, if you first do a, b, and c. And after a great beginning, the Witcher sense mechanically is not much different from the pinging, just better integrated into the story. That's the main part that TW3 does better, making it cohesive and not arbitrarily 'gamey'. (also kaer morhan blows the similar haven scene out of the water). But both games buckle under the weight of being too big imo, where it kind of devolves into chores to pad out the running time.

This bolded part has been my experience. Bioware got absolutely schooled by CDPR imo. Recent Bioware games come across as vapid and cookie cutter compared to The Witcher series if I'm being brutally honest. I don't know if Bioware has the talent to make something like The Witcher series. Nor do I think they're even willing to put in that kind of effort to match the quality and volume of side quests either.

I agree as well. The 31 hours I put into Dragon Age: Inquisition before I quit felt so much longer than the 209 hours I put into Witcher 3. And I still am playing Witcher 3 and having a blast.

It felt monotonous to just do the simple sidequest, and not exactly intuitive on to which direction you need to go to see the interesting things in it. That stupid, fucking, pinging mechanic was awful and I detested it.

CDPR created a world. Bioware created a game. That's okay as there is the audience for both. I hope that all devs kinda see what CDPR did in regards to RPG's and just creating believable worlds in general. I'm excited to see what Cyberpunk brings to the table. As it should be a big departure from Witcher 3 in almost every way.

I beat the main story at about 100 hours, including side content, took me eleven hours to do everything in jaws of hakkon so my play time is resting at 111 hours, however jaws of hakkkon was a while ago and I'm hoping for some new dlc to bring me back in, as I just beat the Witcher and that sort of got me wanting to play Dragon age inquisition again, even though the witcher 3 is the better rpg in that battle.

BouncyFrag

With the lack of effort put into the appearances of the
Old God Baby and the Hero of Fereldan (who just sends a postcard),
, I knew that the magic I felt with DA: Origins was long gone. If Bioware has no interest in offering branching narratives to big decisions, they should just give up on the pretense of choice entirely.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If Bioware has no interest in offering branching narratives to big decisions, they should just give up on the pretense of choice entirely.
I simply away BioWare presents TellTale presents a BioWare Production of Dragon Age: The Origins of Inquisition Season 1. :p

RDreamer

, I knew that the magic I felt with DA: Origins was long gone. If Bioware has no interest in offering branching narratives to big decisions, they should just give up on the pretense of choice entirely.

It's funny you say this in a thread where Witcher 3 is being lauded so highly comparatively. That's one area where the Dragon Age series has actually shined in comparison. The Witcher series hand waves so much shit in between games it's crazy no one's really complained about it. I mean I don't mind, because that seems to not be their thing. They'd rather spend money on content people will actually see, but still...

So basically what you're saying is that no video game should have choice, just because some big things may not pass between games just as you want them to.

Damerman

This is the most Legit criticism for DA:I

Reebot

This thread highlights a recurrent problem in gaming, which is that generally length always receives praise regardless of pacing or content. As in, most gamers see game length as inherently good, and in no scenario a detriment to the experience.

Its viewing games strictly as a consumer product, like a pack of gum, instead of art.

You think people will ever discover what that word means?

Being a big Dragon Age fan I played through the game a couple times. Even recently after playing the Witcher 3

One of the Main issues of the game is how they handle the story. While the story isn't awful, how they handle the antagonist Is. They build him up but I never felt threatened by him. He's a God! most of the game it's obvious where you are. He has an archdemon & an army. But u sit down in one location like you can beat Corey. Corey should be coming for you, instead he acts scared of you. Hell he should've came for you as soon as u stole the mark but reasons??? Then everything else Corey does feels so cartoony. Yes I know it's a game, write around it. Especially When the Grey Warden arc was explored in the DLC.

But it's a game, it's allowed to be cheesy & cartoony....

Except the game part isn't very good. Cool down combat doesn't have to be bad, but it's slow. Tactics are clumsy & playing it real time it shows it's very much an mmo. I might've enjoyed it more fun had it been. MMO combat is cool if that's your thing. To me it's incredibly dull, but at least I'd have aware team mates. removing the ability to program your team members leaves your team bunched up way too often.

The game is beautiful, it has great music & it fulfills power fantasies. At the time the game came out what else was there to play? And that's before factoring in if the reviewer likes MMOs, do adore branching dialog along with expectations.

This is my last dragon age. The game Is going further & further from origins which is ok to the audience that enjoys it. I no longer believe I'm in that group

Top Bottom