• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DA:Inquisition, so long it feels like a chore

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I love it when people go "even DA2 was better than this!".

1) come on, be less transparent.
2) Even subjectively, this makes no sense.
For the sake of argument, it makes DA2's recycled map layout better because you don't have to try to turn around some peak to get a dumb shard. In DA2's case, the shard would be easy to get in a cave, or a mountain side, or a cave, or a cave, or a narrow beach top. Or a cave.

I did almost everything in both games, and in the end I probably spent about 50% of the time in DA2 as I did in DAI. I wouldn't say that either was what I wanted from the DA universe. :(

ColdRose

One could argue that Baldur's Gate follows the same formula just on smaller maps and with a focus on those exact things you mentioned.

Ugh, remember when sidequests had you track down a ranger for some mage weirdos and it turned out he was part of an old necromancer lineage? And how his blood granted you access to a crazy otherworldly giant sphere that somehow appeared in the city and then you were transported to freaking hell or some shit and had to fight the most demon-ass demons just to get back? And if you were a mage, you could keep the sphere as your base of operations and train your own mage apprentices?

brb, gotta collect 5 shiny skulls

You're talking about BG2 which, yes, was a masterpiece and no, DAI does not reach those heights. But it's actually pretty reminiscent of BG1, which had plenty of maps that had no connection to the main story, and lots of things you just sort of stumbled on. I loved BG1 and missed the element of exploration in the second game, and I liked seeing it return in DAI (and thought that the game did a much better job of exploration-based gameplay than, say, Mass Effect 1).

Eh, I would say that the drive towards a more cinematic style has resulted in a lessening of the sort of complexity we saw in BG2 - I mean there was really nothing in Origins that could compete with your example either. I enjoy what Bioware is doing these days, well-polished interactive stories with a generally great cast - and for me DAI fits the bill here - especially since there are others (harebrained studios, Obsidian) doing the sort of stuff that Bio used to do, so it isn't as though I'm losing out if I fancy a more BG-like experience.

Also, I do feel like I want to cut Bioware a little slack here. Their first real attempt at open world, also their first time using Frostbite - it was the DA team that had to develop the engine for a CRPG as opposed to a FPS, that stuff had to eat into dev time fairly seriously. From an interview with David Gaider yesterday, it seems that a hell of a lot of narrative content had to be cut due to running out of time and resources. I'll worry more if MENext and DA4 are similarly filler-tastic, but I'm not sure they will be. The DAI people did an awful lot of technical groundwork that won't have to be done again, freeing up more time for story content, hopefully anyway. I thought DAI was a great base with gorgeous visuals, fantastic characters and gameplay that I, at least, enjoyed. It just really needed meatier story, both in the main quest and, particularly, side quests.

Melchiah

It took me 183:40 hours to complete, including all the sidequests except bottles and mosaics, and it never felt like a chore to me.

Steez

You're talking about BG2 which, yes, was a masterpiece and no, DAI does not reach those heights. But it's actually pretty reminiscent of BG1, which had plenty of maps that had no connection to the main story, and lots of things you just sort of stumbled on. I loved BG1 and missed the element of exploration in the second game, and I liked seeing it return in DAI (and thought that the game did a much better job of exploration-based gameplay than, say, Mass Effect 1).

I should've clarified that I was specifically thinking about BG2, which, in the grand scheme of things, still follows the same formula. The main difference being that exploring the maps is usually either incentivized by a quest or leads to discovering one.
Something that's seldom the case in DA:I, which is exactly my issue with the game (and most current open world games).
I get that people love exploring worlds. I do too! But it's hard to get invested in a world where there isn't all that much to discover except nice looking vistas.
I totally get that it's virtually impossible to transfer the quality of the side content into a world as big as Inquisition's, but there has to be a middle ground.
And sure, the exploration is better than in ME1, but is that really that much of an accomplishmet? And keep in mind that ME1 had the advantage of having a strong and (mostly) well-paced story to fall back on and distract you from other shortcomings. DA has only its companions and not all of them are Iron Bull quality.

Sorry for potential typos, mobile is hard, yo!

ColdRose

I should've clarified that I was specifically thinking about BG2, which, in the grand scheme of things, still follows the same formula. The main difference being that exploring the maps is usually either incentivized by a quest or leads to discovering one.
Something that's seldom the case in DA:I, which is exactly my issue with the game (and most current open world games).
I get that people love exploring worlds. I do too! But it's hard to get invested in a world where there isn't all that much to discover except nice looking vistas.
I totally get that it's virtually impossible to transfer the quality of the side content into a world as big as Inquisition's, but there has to be a middle ground.
And sure, the exploration is better than in ME1, but is that really that much of an accomplishmet? And keep in mind that ME1 had the advantage of having a strong and (mostly) well-paced story to fall back on and distract you from other shortcomings. DA has only its companions and not all of them are Iron Bull quality.

Sorry for potential typos, mobile is hard, yo!

See I enjoyed Inquisition's story - I thought it felt too short, and the villain wasn't developed well enough, but I liked the main quests quite a bit. I also think the cast is fantastic, probably my favourite Bioware cast with the exception of ME2. I loved wandering about with Solas, Cole and Dorian and then switching out to others. Some great banter. I guess that's the difference - I do recognise that there was too much filler and not enough story content, but unlike for you, what was there was definitely enough to keep me invested.

I do hope though that Bio takes criticism to heart, and that future dlc, as well as main titles, are more story focused.

Shai-Tan

Banned
See I enjoyed Inquisition's story - I thought it felt too short, and the villain wasn't developed well enough, but I liked the main quests quite a bit. I also think the cast is fantastic, probably my favourite Bioware cast with the exception of ME2. I loved wandering about with Solas, Cole and Dorian and then switching out to others. Some great banter. I guess that's the difference - I do recognise that there was too much filler and not enough story content, but unlike for you, what was there was definitely enough to keep me invested.

I do hope though that Bio takes criticism to heart, and that future dlc, as well as main titles, are more story focused.

I think the issue is active story. I enjoyed talking to the companions and doing their quests but they are short and bracketed off from the world which is a consequence of most of the quests in the game not having a narrative and a relatively weak mainline story and missions that the characters are mostly interchangeable in.

I think the problem with the Baldurs Gate comparison is that DA:I is too much like an MMO. Instead of running into encounters (that often had dialoague and side quest relevance) it's fields of enemies that are there to block off the collect-a-thon items. And ultimately it's the combat that lets it down the most. It's not tactical like BG or DA:O and doesn't make up for that in any way by having more active combat (like e.g. Dragon's Dogma which absolutely felt like an open world mmo but was actually fun to explore because the combat was more engaging despite being janky). It's worth mentioning that DA2 is closer to this ideal than DAI (despite repeating maps, enemy waves, etc)

Steel

Banned
I love it when people go "even DA2 was better than this!".

1) come on, be less transparent.
2) Even subjectively, this makes no sense.

It makes plenty of sense, subjectively of course. DA: 2 didn't waste your time, the battle system was easy, but stylish in the sense of a Musou game, so it was still fun in a relaxing way unlike DA: I which is basically streamlined MMO combat, had an interesting idea with the city and time concept even if it didn't fully deliver.

And did I mention it didn't waste your time? Yeah that's the major thing that puts it above DA: I. It's not that I think Dragon Age 2 is great, I enjoyed my time with it well enough to not feel I wasted my money but ultimately felt it was greatly flawed, it's just not a soul-crushing slog like DA:I was to many people.

Aw man, I'm grinding through DA2 to get to this game. And you guys are not making it seem worth it.

Oh my god the waves, whoever though waves of enemies was a good idea should be shot in the face.

Please tell me Inquisition doesn't have those.

It's a shame because I put 136 hours into origin and loved it (once I installed some combat speeding up mods ofc).

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't played the game yet, but this thread basically confirms my suspicions about it. Looks incredibly dull from the footage I've seen. I might give it a try when it's under 20 bucks.

Steel

Banned
Aw man, I'm grinding through DA2 to get to this game. And you guys are not making it seem worth it.

Oh my god the waves, whoever though waves of enemies was a good idea should be shot in the face.

Please tell me Inquisition doesn't have those.

It's a shame because I put 136 hours into origin and loved it (once I installed some combat speeding up mods ofc).

They actually turned waves of enemies into one of the main mechanics with rifts, so Inquistion has plenty of waves.

I'll never understand why people feel obliged to complete content they find boring. If you love the story then play the story - the amount of power you accrue completing incidental sidequests without even trying is more than enough to see you through til the end. People who get burnt out on sidequests always leave me scratching my head - the game is colossal, why gravitate towards content you don't like?

JeffG

I'll never understand why people feel obliged to complete content they find boring. If you love the story then play the story - the amount of power you accrue completing incidental sidequests without even trying is more than enough to see you through til the end. People who get burnt out on sidequests always leave me scratching my head - the game is colossal, why gravitate towards content you don't like?

OCD is a terrible thing to waste

I think it solved a lot of issues DA2 was heavily criticised for but brought in a whole bunch of its own issues. I liked the whole stronghold/inquisition thing though but there was just way, way too many boring quests that made me go "why does this even exist, why even bother?"

I've been replaying some old RPGs of the last 15 years and it's just so obvious when you look back at DA:I how bad it really is when it comes to quests. The areas were beautiful and really varied, the stronghold/inquisition stuff was interesting and I enjoyed that but the combat + quests were abysmal and definitely the worst I've experienced in a RPG. It was really tough to find decent quests amongst all the shit and even none of them were all that good. There's really nothing memorable from DA:I in terms of questing.

Bought this on a whim earlier this week and ended up returning it to Gamestop yesterday to get my money back. The combat is laughably bad and the whole game feels like one giant fetch quest, can't believe the clerk convinced me to buy this garbage in this first place.

Khal_B

First BioWare title I didn't finish to 100% completion or do at least a 2nd playthrough. The bevy of side content killed the main story for me and made the game seem like work rather than play.

Hell, I don't mind putting work and effort into a game once it's engaging or fun but DA:I ended up being neither the longer I stuck with it.

I'm so burned out from the game that I've even lost interest in the DA universe. Not even DA2 was able to do that.

Ralemont

not me
They actually turned waves of enemies into one of the main mechanics with rifts, so Inquistion has plenty of waves.

The rift waves are fine. Upon approaching a rift it spawns enemies so you can plan , then for the second wave it shows you where the enemies will spawn. You can even kill enemies before they spawn with dispel or spell purge. It's satisfying to roll with both and only fight one enemy in the second wave because you dispelled so many spawn points. Any party with 2 mages and a templar might not even need to fight a second wave.

Needless to say, this is all very very different from DA2's waves.

Kimaka

First BioWare title I didn't finish to 100% completion or do at least a 2nd playthrough. The bevy of side content killed the main story for me and made the game seem like work rather than play.

Hell, I don't mind putting work and effort into a game once it's engaging or fun but DA:I ended up being neither the longer I stuck with it.

I'm so burned out from the game that I've even lost interest in the DA universe. Not even DA2 was able to do that.

Same here. The side content was so bad. I even struggled through finishing the main quest of each area hoping that they would have put more thought into that. Turns out, they didn't.

I tried doing a second playthrough that focused on the main quest, but got tired of grinding for power to move on.

levyjl1988

Banned
If I was unemployed I would have played this game. But no one has time for this shit.
Too much filler and fluff that it seems like Bioware is disrespecting my time.

Dark_castle

While I agree that the power you can get by simply exploring and doing random quests are generally adequate to proceed with the main quests, it's still no excuse for the sheer amount of poorly designed sidequests which are always the same few types across different locations, hardly any variety at all. The amount of garbage loots and plants to collect are terrible, and gears are often better off crafted. Requiring constant L3 click to find loot is also annoying. Oh and the picking up stuff animation made it even worse.

I thought the story and graphics were alright, the characters, party banter, tarot cards and environment design were great but others range from mediocre (like music, combat ) to terrible (everything else).

Waxwing

People finding it boring should play on higher difficulties. When nearly every battle is a true struggle, the battle system is a lot more fun.

People finding it boring should play on higher difficulties. When nearly every battle is a true struggle, the battle system is a lot more fun.

Agreed - you don't really see the true potential of the game's combat until you play on harder difficulties. The reputation Inquisition has for brain-dead combat isn't really deserved, the devs just balanced normal around accessibility as many devs are wont to do nowadays.

for a series and a type of game I really like to playthrough multiple times, all the bullshit and padding put a damper on that.

Second worst side content and padding Ive ever played (Xenoblade was worse). With a save editor available for PC, I might give it another go playing main quests and companion quests only

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I'm pretty optimistic on that front. Kotaku hosted a Q&A with two of the franchise's lead developers back in late March, and Mike Laidlaw in particular openly admitted to getting the balance wrong between exploration and story content. He said it was their first go at this sort of thing and he's definitely taken this particular complaint to heart.

They also mentioned being well aware of the requests for story-focused DLC, as well as using Jaws of Hakkon as a testbed for attempting to do better by the concept of open-world regions by attempting better quest flow that feels more integrated and unified.

This all should have been the gold standard going into the vanilla game itself, ideally, but it is what it is. I agree with most of the rest of your post, by the way. Well, aside from the part about the cast being second only to ME2. I'm one of those crazies who loves ME3's something fierce, too. :p

Gave up at 55 hours i think, I arrived at emerald graves and realised it involved the same ideals as the other areas( Landmarks, Close rifts etc ) And i just couldnt be bothered anymore.

Also at that point it became such a chore to play, Not to mention i forgot there was a story as i forgot all about it.

Just lacked the immersion of Origins for me personally, And i pretty much didnt care for any of the squadmates other than Cassandra & Sera.

I'm about 106 hours in - probably just over half way through the main story.

I've only stopped at the moment because I also got Bloodborne and Dying Light. I've also picked up GTA V again after some time away from it.
I've also just started Ether One which looks good.

I really enjoyed what I played of DA:I. I have no real problems with it at all (I wish the combat was a bit more tactical but I'm ok with it as it is). My problem is I have way more games I want to play than I have time to play them.

And I'm getting Witcher 3 soon so, yeah.

Violet_0

Banned
finished the game in roughly 35 or so hours, when the game ended with
liberating
the Hinterlands. It's a bit weird that a lot of of the plot remained unresolved but I guess that's for the sequel, in which you finally venture out of the Hinterlands and explore other parts of the world. Anyway, I thought Dragon Age: Hinterlands was merely an okay game, I give it a 6.5/10

Still gotta play boring side missions to get Power points. Plus, gotta make sure you've played enough of them to level up adequately for the main quests. The game is soul-sucking.

Agreed - you don't really see the true potential of the game's combat until you play on harder difficulties. The reputation Inquisition has for brain-dead combat isn't really deserved, the devs just balanced normal around accessibility as many devs are wont to do nowadays.
Tactical View and companion AI settings in this game are too arse to use in Hard mode. Like why in the hell do you have to manually switch to each character and move them to a spot one by one instead of just being able to highlight the ones you want to move and then tell then whatever you want to do? Why isn't there a way to tell Varrick not to do his escape-shot backflip off a damn hill unless an enemy is actually targeting him? The hell you can't zoom the camera out more for? Why does hitting enemies feel like slapping them with a pool noodle? There's so many issues that pile up with the combat in this game to call it anything but mediocre.

Oh jeez, can you at least close said rifts prematurely by damaging them or something?

The spawning point of demons is telegraphed by rings of energy on the ground tethered to the main rift - you can instruct mages to cast dispel on these circles (sometimes several at a time) to kill them instantly. You can also damage and stun all spawned demons by disrupting the rift mid-combat. Not comparable to DAII's "waves of bandits from the sky" approach in the least.

Concept17

I got tired of just going from point to point on my map. Same thing with most open world games, such as Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, etc..

I'm worried the same will happen with Witcher 3.

Gaz_RB

I put 100+ hours into it and loved it til the very end. Not the type of game I plan on playing again for a very long time, but I never wanted it to end when I was playing it. Pretty much consumed my life over Thanksgiving break. While I agree there was a lot of what I would call "filler", I didn't mind it because I felt like a part of the world, like everything I was doing was going towards a cause.

It seems with most open world games, people play it so much that they think its a bad game.

Violet_0

Banned
I guess the game's saving grace is that Bioware finally moved on from corridors, right? Although, come to think of it, that wasn't really much of an improvement

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
For the record, I think it's just shy of an 8/10 or so. I'd call it my GOTY 2014, but I play like 3-5 new games every year. So... all that's really saying is that I liked it more than Bravely Default and Shadow of Mordor. And MGS: Ground Zeroes. (Which is a really fun foundation, but...)

I would have gladly ditched the Exalted Plains, Forbidden Oasis, and one other zone in exchange for even just one more main story quest. I think a lot of the time people underestimate how far they are with the story, and that's telling.

I remember back when the game was new that there was some blatant wrongness being spread amongst fans that
In Your Heart Shall Burn
was "really just the end of an extended prologue. Don't worry, there is so. Much. Left." Sure, if you're talking content in general. That was the dawn of the misinformation, I wager -- eager fans thinking "content" surely meant "critical path." In truth upon completion of that mission you're at the plot's halfway point, and that's unfortunate.

BioWare main paths are seldom lengthy, but this one felt a bit too light indeed. (Although I maintain that DA2 is the worse offender here.)

The tactics system gutting is unfortunate, too, and the pulled-away camera on so many conversations (which marketing claimed was for "immersion"... mehhhh) didn't help the too-bloated sidequesting feel any better, either.

But it's a complicated relationship. Because the game has most of my favorite story moments in the series, my favorite cast overall, a gorgeous world, and some seriously stirring music. I happily got lost in it for a time, and yet, yeah, boy did BioWare do nothing to assuage my fears that open-world just isn't my cup of tea. I live in perpetual hope that the remaining DLC schedule beefs up the narrative beats considerably. That'd make me feel better, I think. Like, I don't even think DAI's plot is much shorter than DAO's, but the way it's handled makes it feel as such.

Here are my spur-of-the-moment, amusingly-precise scores for other BioWare games I've played, for comparison's sake. (Yes, I'm aware my ME3 rating is higher than yours.)

KOTOR: 8.0
ME1: 8.7
DAO: 9.2
ME2: 9.7
DA2: 6.6
ME3: 9.7

Grady

The game was definitely A drag. Main Story is short. Only felt long because of the power you need to acquire. Played it on hard and that last fight was a fucking chore. Beat it on first try, but barely. I swear that fight lasted over an hour.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'll never understand why people feel obliged to complete content they find boring. [...] why gravitate towards content you don't like?
Absolutely. Same reason I don't understand why people go out of their way to do boring tasks in games just to get trophies.

On the flipside, I also don't understand why developers feel obligated to pad their games with boring content either...

Absolutely. Same reason I don't understand why people go out of their way to do boring tasks in games just to get trophies.

On the flipside, I also don't understand why developers feel obligated to pad their games with boring content either...
I don't gravitate towards dull content. The developers just put so much of it in the game every five steps it is hard to ignore it and find the stuff worth doing. And in DAI you still have to do the crap content. I quit the game after I got to Sky hold, talked to my companions, went back to the mission table and saw that I had no Power points but all the missions needed a lot of them to activate.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't gravitate towards dull content. The developers just put so much of it in the game every five steps it is hard to ignore it and find the stuff worth doing. And in DAI you still have to do the crap content. I quit the game after I got to Sky hold, talked to my companions, went back to the mission table and saw that I had no Power points but all the missions needed a lot of them to activate.
Yeah that sounds like terrible game design. Other players said they never grinded for Power so I dunno, but regardless, when the majority of your content is optional, it had better be good. Hell about 50% of Bloodborne is entirely optional, but every single bit is worthwhile.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I wish the gaming industry agreed with your opinions on these things, I really do.

BouncyFrag

Last week I created a new world state and started a new game and didn't get far before stopping and putting the game back on the shelf. When I saw the map with all the camps needed to clear I was done.

TL;DR: Bioware somehow became Ubisoft. This game needed some hyphenation in the title. It should be named Drag-on age : Infinite grinds.

I feel like I missed a few things in my "review" (rant) ^ against this game that I didn't hit upon. Some of these things I find people are using as positives for this game but my mind boggles at that notion. So consider this the sequel rant or something, if you haven't read the original read it because I doubt I'll be reiterating much on what I said there.

I keep seeing people say that you should increase the combat difficulty, but I did, in fact I finished the game on Nightmare difficulty(because I'm an achievement whore), and t'was indeed a nightmare but not for reasons of combat difficulty. In fact the hardest encounter in the game comes really early into your playtime. The Haven fight where you're introduced to corypheus is pretty much the end of difficulty spikes in this game. You've probably found enough crafting materials that by the time you get to skyhold you'll be able to craft some truly overpowered shit in the skyforge. My tanks had weapons and armor that generated guard on hit which meant they never actually took damage. The same goes for the rogue I was controlling who had it on his armor so every time he hit an enemy his guard went up making him virtually unstoppable for everything besides enemies way above his level of which there are very little if you follow the recommended levels they give you in the map screen. I didn't even mention his stupidly overpowered swords which gave a 10% chance to cast a one shot kill ability on every single swing, 20% because I stacked different ones on each of his two weapons. Even without those enchantments though the combat was easy - not to mention boring and obnoxiously annoying to control.

It's true that you could theoretically set up combo's on specific enemies to increase your damage output but that'd be reliant on the retards you call squad mates in this game to not blow their combo-able spell on the goddamn irrelevant wraith sitting somewhere at the edge of the battlefield not doing shit. So you'd need to first of all disable them from casting it through the clusterfuck of a tactics screen which has been severely downgraded from DA:O since you can't assign conditionals and can only set an ability as preferred, allowed for use or disabled. Then you'd need to either switch in real-time to cast the spell which turns your main character into one of the retards which means he's going to blow all of his useful cooldowns doing nothing of particular use, or you'd have to use the tactical camera. If you used the tactical camera the odds of them actually casting the spell you selected are somewhere in the region of 50/50 because for some reason the A.I will cancel your selected spell to do some other shit the second you switch back to your now dumbfuck of a main character. So you'd have to babysit that character for a while until he decides to actually cast the combo-able spell, switch back and hope the character you wanted to set off the combo with hasn't actually blown that cooldown. Luckily the game is so badly balanced that the amount of situations that require that much micromanagement are exceedingly rare and you can pretty much tank your way through the game holding RT and pressing the occasional face button to awesome. At best the combo's are an afterthought and I rarely bother purposefully setting one up.

Onto the exploration -- I keep seeing this argument that you should get out of the Hinterlands but that's a bullshit ass argument because every single zone is the Hinterlands with a pallete swap at best. Atleast the hinterlands are reasonably easy to navigate, some of the zones are a clusterfuck of hills and un-traversable terrain designed by someone with a hard-on for invisible barriers, and exceedingly hard to find ladders designed to get you to the top of said hill. It'd be better if the map was of any goddamn use whatsoever but since it shows you no landmarks and no terrain features you're stuck hoping that you're actually going in the right direction more often than not. Some of the sidequest collectables are specifically placed in areas that are impossible to reach in any sane manner and require you to use the shitty, badly animated jump to climb some terrain feature some asshole decided it was good to place a shard on. It doesn't help that the jump had a delay on it as well meaning your timing had to be goddamn impeccable to make some of these jumps.

If the zone isn't obtuse to navigate it's usually a straight forward, utterly barren but unbelievably giant mess. The hissing wastes, for example, is just a giant desert, and while it does feature some of the awful hill design on the sides the majority of it is just a giant flat plane with a sand texture. Crossing it takes several minutes on horseback and there is nothing appreciable to be found here. In fact if you're one of those I only play 10% of my game people you'd probably find little to no reason to ever visit here. Oh and since this game is so huge and the collectables are strewn about by what appears to be some sort of procedural generation you end up having to spam L3 every half a second so you can find some more elfroot to bend over for. I'd imagine someone in Bioware is really into butts and figured I'd enjoy bending the fuck over every 10 seconds.

You can upgrade your fortress too but aside from one upgrade all of them are cosmetic, so it's literally just a case of bend the fuck over to pick up more items required to upgrade your fort so you can spend half a minute looking at a new building which serves no functional purpose, and at best might unlock another boring as text box to read.

Which brings me to my next point, why play it if you don't have too? I might be an old school completionist here but it's utterly mindboggling to imagine a world where they designed 95% of their videogame to just be there for no reason other than to fill diskspace. While it's not as avoidable as some people make it out to be, you can get by doing only a smaller portion of the terrible sidequests, I'd honestly say you still have to do far too many of them to gather the power required for the 10 main quests that the game has. I'm not even understating the case when I say the game only has 10 main quests to offset the 1000's of empty ass go here and press square quests. It really only has 10. Of those 10: 1 is a tutorial, 4 are the equivalent of a cutscene, and 5 of them contain actual gameplay, which includes the final 5 minute boss fight. If they did not lock these behind a ridiculous grind for power the game would barely average a playtime of 3 to 4 hours.

So when people say I played this game for 180 hours what they really mean is: I ran around pressing square on shit for 150 hours, I spent another 20 hours pressing square to pick up flowers, I spent like 5 hours fast travelling for companion quests and I spent 5 hours on the main quest. That seems like a really broken balance to strike for me. Even if you don't go all OCD on the map diarrhea, you're still going to spend the dominant portion of your time picking up shitty items to unlock the power required to start the next main quest.

I also notice a lot of people like the companions a lot, and while I thought what little writing was there wasn't terribly bad it's spread way too thin. Their dialogue only updates when you progress the main quest so for large swaths of time in between they just stand there, static, without anything new to say because there's honestly nothing for them to comment on. Once you complete their companion quests they have even less to say and tend to not even comment on main quest progression outside of a few throwaway one liners. Iron Bull who a lot of people hail as one of the best companions spent 95% of my gametime sitting on a chair in Skyhold with nothing at all to say. I checked back every once in a while, he was still sitting there, still had nothing to say. You also never know when they do have something new to say, so you end up running around Skyhold a lot to talk to the companions which are spread all over that map, like thinly spread jelly on stale toast, only to realize nobody had anything new to say.

In closing I'd like to say I would gladly forfeit any attempt Bioware makes at these giant sprawling maps with nothing to do for a tightly paced corridor action set with an interesting evolving story that goes beyond the one note, you've got mystery green shit on your hand and there's a bad guy you need to kill.

TL;DR: Don't believe the lies, dragon age is still Drag-on age: nothing to do here.

In case anyone isn't aware of how the companion AI works, this is it:
By default, the AI is leashed to the player, and if they are out of range they'll cancel whatever they're doing to get back into it. The leash is pretty short, so for example you can never have Varric flanking an enemy at max range from behind with the player as a ranged character at the front. It also pretty much kills any chance of long-term tactical camera planning, because once the player moves out of range the AI will abandon every order so they can return to the player's side. The one workaround - and it doesn't improve things a whole lot - is to set the AI to follow themselves, which will prevent them from cancelling everything when the player moves. It doesn't do a whole lot to help DAI's tactical situation, but it will help prevent a bit of frustration.

For abilities: Allowing the AI to use an ability means they'll use it whenever they can, whether it's a good idea or not. This means that a lot of abilities that require a bit more finesse or timing are generally wholly wasted in the AI's hands. The one exception are guard-tanks, which seem to work pretty well on their own for the most part. (Or maybe I'm just bad with them) Setting an ability to preferred means they'll use it over other abilities that are available, i.e. if two single-target melee abilities are available they'll always used the preferred one over the other. Disabled will stop them from using the ability entirely, and for certain abilities (such as Reaver stuff) it's probably for the best. One other sorta weird thing is that the AI will only use abilities in the quick slot bar, which gives them the same restrictions as the player.​

Even maximizing their AI with customization, they'll still behave like manikins most of the time, with only the barest sense of awareness. (As FloatingDivider's Rant: Second Attack pointed out.) Some of it is really bizarre, and it makes the removal DAO's tactics menu even more puzzling. I can only assume they did it to make the game more "friendly" to new players, for whatever reason.

A drag and a chore, shelved it after 14 hours. Makes me very hesitant about Mass Effect 4.

This and Shadow of Mordor being the two most common recipients for GOTY last year will be something looked back on as an oddity, especially when games like Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8, and Shovel Knight came out that year.

ref

The moment the story lost me was when
the entire camp started singing that inspirational song in unison

It hurt to watch it, it was so cringe-worthy.

The writing in the game with a few exceptions just feels like fan-fiction. Unrealistic dialogue really ruins an otherwise decent atmosphere set up by a pretty great score and well designed landscapes/great visuals.

Krakn3Dfx

I put roughly 50 hours into the game and stopped, because yeah, it was too much like work to keep moving forward for me. I'm glad there are people who finished and enjoyed it, but I'm still kind of in awe that anyone gave it GotY.

Top Bottom