• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maou

"Remake" for XII? The game that at the time was the lowest-selling (in Japan) mainline Final Fantasy in fifteen years?! Time to get real. HD would be nice.
Especially if "HD" eliminates Vaan and Panelo entirely.

KingBroly

Banned
I wish Square would focus on 1 remaster per series at a time, tbh. It seems a bit overkill to just had FFX/X-2 release a second time, turn around and have FF7r announced and then turn around AGAIN to have XII remade.

It's a bit too much.

Gammacide

Cannot wait!!! My favorite FF game in the series. Not the best story or most interesting characters, but for whatever reason the most fun I've had playing one. Hope it drops soon!!!

RK128

I wish Square would focus on 1 remaster per series at a time, tbh. It seems a bit overkill to just had FFX/X-2 release a second time, turn around and have FF7r announced and then turn around AGAIN to have XII remade.

It's a bit too much.

Which makes this announcement make since though; they got a lot of success with the X/X-2 HD Remaster, so doing that again with their other PS2 FF JRPG is a good idea for a 2016/2017 release I imagine :).

If anything, this would help if a FFXV Delay happens (with its engine not being finished yet, I would not be shocked if that is pushed into 2017 sadly :().

presuming that he had just said "Final Fantasy 7" before this video and that's what the applause is for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGTCxb6rAc

then he seems to pretty clearly say 12 in addition to just having previously said 7, and then also 15. ...meaning, no mix-up, he mentioned each

still, I'm scared to trust into this too much

Too late, and to their sorrow do those who misplace their fate in hype and hope learn their fate

Make a bunch of remasters at the same time and don't have time to release one is the new versus. Jk

But xii? Aw yeah. Can't wait

Xiraiya

Well that's nice and all SE, but where's the steam release of FFX HD, how about that first before doing XII HD.

Celegus

presuming that he had just said "Final Fantasy 7" before this video and that's what the applause is for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGTCxb6rAc

then he seems to pretty clearly say 12 in addition to just having previously said 7, and then also 15. ...meaning, no mix-up, he mentioned each

still, I'm scared to trust into this too much

Too late, and to their sorrow do those who misplace their fate in hype and hope learn their fate

Definitely not a mix up, he talked about all 3. I guess it could be real, but I had interpreted it as a joke. Kind of hard to tell, it was pretty loud where I was. Guess we'll see what happens!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Squeenix seems to be learning about what we want, their old games.

Though I want them to continue making new ones also so square has easily climbed back on my list of the best publishers/devs again.

Se'kami

Neo Member
A lot of people are commenting about this so I thought I'd explain it a bit.

He first brought up the Final Fantasy VII REMAKE, saying how he was asking them to remake it and such. Then he brought up the Final Fantasy XII "remake" out of the blue.

The video we have on FFNetwork shows this, but I saw a few people saying that he may have been getting it confused for VII. Hope that clears things up.

Also got word from another guy at the concert who got meet and greets that he (Arnie) can't discuss it, but it is indeed coming. How ironic, haha.

EDIT: FFXV was brought up immediately after as well, so there's no mistaking it. He definitely meant to say XII.

Yay! It made so much sense to do this. Square-Enix making some really good decisions lately.

Square and Capcom had this identity crisis last gen because they felt like they had to find some way to appeal to the crowds that is making popular shooter franchises for example so much money. After a poor generation (for the most part, IMO) it seems like they're trying to get back on the good side of the fans that have stuck with them for so long. At least this is the concocted reasoning in my head, but I think it's pretty safe to assume especially when developers even commented on FFXIII's linearity as being because people like linear shooters or something. It didn't make any damn sense so it could have just been a bullshit excuse, but some of these Japanese companies were definitely going out of their comfort zone in order to please more people and it backfired greatly.

As it turns out, all you need to really do is keep doing what you do best. They realize that we actually want this kind of shit and not that kind of shit and they're giving it to us.

Wasn't it later confirmed by someone else anyways? Also, why discredit the musician?

Square and Capcom had this identity crisis last gen because they felt like they had to find some way to appeal to the crowds that is making popular shooter franchises for example so much money. After a poor generation (for the most part, IMO) it seems like they're trying to get back on the good side of the fans that have stuck with them for so long. At least this is the concocted reasoning in my head, but I think it's pretty safe to assume especially when developers even commented on FFXIII's linearity as being because people like linear shooters or something. It didn't make any damn sense so it could have just been a bullshit excuse, but some of these Japanese companies were definitely going out of their comfort zone in order to please more people and it backfired greatly.

As it turns out, all you need to really do is keep doing what you do best. They realize that we actually want this kind of shit and not that kind of shit and they're giving it to us.

You're so right about last gen. I hope this gen is different just as you said.

RK128

Its crazy to think how many huge FF games are out/coming over the years :).
-FF XIV: A Realm Reborn + its Expansions
-FF X HD
-FF X-2 HD
-FF XV
-World of FF
-FF Explorers
-Dissidia FF
-FFVII Remake
-FFXII Remake/Remaster

.....That is a lot of FF, and its nice to see them happening :').

Edit: Thats not even counting the Dragon Quest series and other ventures they have in store :D.

-Dragon Quest Heroes
-Dragon Quest Builders
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2
-Dragon Quest XI PS4
-Dragon Quest XI 3DS
-Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
-Dragon Quest X PS4
-Nier 2
-Saga
-Star Ocean PS4
-Unannounced JRPG from new studio
-Kingdom Hearts 3

Wazzy

Banned
LET THIS HAPPEN

I'm not even a big fan of XII but playing it again updated would be amazing. I hope a Vita version can happen as well.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

This is 100% what I feel like was happening last gen!

I hope all these japanese publishers/devs turn it around soon.

Reset

If it fixes the garbage battle system, I might buy it. Otherwise SE shouldn't even bother if all they plan on doing is making an HD remaster/remake. The game has one of the worst battle systems making it the worst FF.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If it fixes the garbage battle system, I might buy it. Otherwise SE shouldn't even bother if all they plan on doing is making an HD remaster/remake. The game has one of the worst battle systems making it the worst FF.
I'm glad you aren't everyone.

Gambits <3 <3

If this is going to have the Zodiac Job System then yeah this is definitely going to push me to buy a PS4. Lets do this SE, come on!! Please.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

That is a pretty unpopular opinion, if they do they will alienate many of the fans of the game.
And it probably is only a HD remaster like FFX HD.

You're so right about last gen. I hope this gen is different just as you said.

As far as I'm concerned, I mean do you see these lists people are posting? This is the polar opposite of last gen, at least on paper so far. I'm so glad that we seem to be past all that, but I guess it took several failures for them to realize that they were screwing up. That's okay, they're a company and they were trying to follow the rest of the industry and make money. I get it. But they're not going to be successful while pissing everyone off and failing to appeal to these other crowds and I think they get that now.

With Capcom, they stated that after the RE6 backfire that they were going to bring horror elements back to the forefront of the series, and then we got Revelations 2 which was absolutely fantastic and reinforced that statement. It's wonderful to think that these guys are back on track. If only Konami would follow suit, but they're clearly beyond repair. I don't even think they're interested in videogames anymore.

Soltype

Actually the battle system was the best part, you can play it like an old school jrpg with turns or turn on gambits and let it take care of the simple things for.It's perfect.

That's how I see it. I think it has a lot to do with the huge success of the 360 and Sony's failures as well.

Last gen seems like a small hiccup and now we're back on track to get great things out of Japan :) Even though I get the feeling that FFXV is still trying to be "western" to an extent.

Gbraga

I'm all for voicing unpopular opinions, but "shouldn't even bother" is just uneducated. A lot of people do care, so why shouldn't they bother? Because you personally dislike it? I'm sure they'll find it reasonable to skip on the money because you don't like the game.

Famassu

I've heard that, too. Boggles my mind something like that can happens. Are there any details out there?
It just wasn't all that common for game companies to make sure they have all that stuff safe & secure somewhere, at the time. Other times some freak accidents might've destroyed some of them. Sometimes they just disappear at some point in time, one way or another.

My one and only, please hurry and announce yourself. Day zero and all that. For sure, I'm going to buy a digital and physical copy. Zodiac system would be a huge, huge plus but I'm buying it regardless.

crinale

Speaking of identity crisis, almost all Japanese third party devs have faced the same problem. I mean Sega, KT, Bamco did the same as SE and Capcom did..

Se'kami

Neo Member
It still might.

For the record, FFN has been around for a while and they don't spread lies. This is the first time I do hear they got an anonymous tip though,

The only reason it's anonymous is because the person who sent it to us doesn't want any attention from it, as he requested from me. My phone is still blowing up with notifications from all the tweets.

Its crazy to think how many huge FF games are out/coming over the years :).
-FF XIV: A Realm Reborn + its Expansions
-FF X HD
-FF X-2 HD
-FF XV
-World of FF
-FF Explorers
-FFVII Remake
-FFXII Remake/Remaster

.....That is a lot of FF, and its nice to see them happening :').

Add the 10ish DQ games to that list to fully appreciate just how much SE is trying to do.

RK128

Very well said Brandonh83 :).

The PS3/360 era was poor to JP and they flocked to Mobile and Handhelds as an result (note the 'golden age' of JP support on DS and PSP).

But now due to listening to our feedback and know exactly what many of us want, they are back better then ever and are taking small (Capcom with Revelations 2 and its wave of great Remasters of RE and DMC games) and large (Square doing ALOT on PS4 and really pushing their support on the platform) steps back to greatness :').

Really excited about this new generation with JP gaming and when I get my PS4 this fall, I can't wait to dive into tons of great JP games this fall and next year :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom