• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor]Final Fantasy 9 remake will be turn based, use the ATB gauge, and will be closer to the Crisis Core remake in ambition

KBii

Banned
Crisis Core Reunion was a remaster that in some aspects bordered on a remake.

I'm expecting some significant graphical changes (maybe characters with more realistic proportions?) plus faster and smoother gameplay.
I imagine any changes will cause division as usual. I'm sure there are many who like the "chibi" style characters of the original. I'd be fine either way though.

Also, I'm pretty sure Zidane already has a more realistic model thanks to Dissidia (though Nomura design)
23qLu8i.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was playing this when the PS2 released. It looked beautiful then and it still does today. I’ve owned it 4-5 different times, but a remake would be day 1 for me.
But you can break it in like 4 hours
Is it fun to break it? I love the aesthetics and music of VIII. It always stood out to me. I’ve tried breaking it and got bored. Back then I just grinded it out.

Why is VIII so vehemently despised, seemingly even by Square?

It got an HD "remaster", but it felt like it was very bare bones. Meanwhile, every other FF seems to be getting a remake(including X if rumors are believed)

Fuz

Banned
Nomura never even worked on FF IX, why are you even saying this?
Oh I just wanted to take another jab at him.
I despise him for ruining the remake (and the whole franchise).

Anyway, it sounds like missed potential if you make a remake only to keep it turn based in the end, weird choice if they do. Unless it's a really improved "turn based" ATB system, like how XIII changed it for example, but if it's generic regular turn based... no thanks.
Go Away GIF

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I've never played it so sure, count me in for an improved version.
It's perfectly playable on PC nowadays, there's an updated version on steam that honestly doesn't even need much more.
If you're interested in it, get that.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
IX has the most glacially slow and boring battle system of the entire series. At the very least they need to dramatically speed it up and hopefully add some kind of auto-battle/gambit type system.

Preferably they’ll mix it up further so you don’t sit there picking the same move from a menu over and over until you win.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's great news. I just can't stand "modernized" Final Fantasy. Where they turn it into an Action RPG. Improve the graphics, expand the gameplay a little bit, but don't change it so profoundly that it turns into a different genre.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Lokaum D+

Pls god no, playing OG 9 after playing 7R and 16 it feels soooo slow, its feels like every battle take at least 10 minutes to finish.

they really need to make combat a little more fast and dinamic like P5 or FF7R., OG combat is too old and outdated, dont get me wrong, the game is good, but the combat really need a upgrade in order to sell this game nowadays.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I could see it being turnbased rather than ATB like in the original. I believe only 2 mainline FF games are turnbased.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like it's not worth doing this unless they're going to do the full on FF7 remake treatment

Go_Ly_Dow

I feel like it's not worth doing this unless they're going to do the full on FF7 remake treatment
Won't happen for 9. But I suspect 10 will get the 7Remake treatment but in just one game and no parts. That game is arguably the most straightforward mainline FF game to remake into modern graphics.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Won't happen for 9. But I suspect 10 will get the 7Remake treatment but in just one game and no parts. That game is arguably the most straightforward mainline FF game to remake into modern graphics.
It feels like just yesterday they gave FFX a remaster and it still doesn't look dated imho

Isa

Very much agreed. Though I’m kinda a hypocrite because I love that System Shock remake that came out recently.
I'd say its actually a pretty convenient and beneficial strategy for modern publishers/devs. On one hand they can take it easy on the investment costs for a remaster/remake and profit off of the nostalgia market(old timers and fans looking to try reputable entries from companies they like), and when the few new titles actually do start to come out those too get a sales boost since so much of the market in general is starving for new content that really pushes the current gen and the hobby in general forward. I too contribute to both sectors respectively. And I still have no time for either lol.

I personally don't want it to look like Link's Awakening, that art style is very unappealing to me. But more modern features can really help some of these old games, especially the PS1's horrible loading times and animations. Its the main reason I don't replay that epoch much.

Larxia

What? You want it to play exactly the same as the original? What was so good and special about the combats in FF IX?

And if they keep the random encounters, that's terrible too. When I played FF IX on PC, the way I did it is that I played with turbo mode (X3 or something) and grinded for like 20 minutes like that, so I could turn off random encounters and enjoy the story for a little bit without these annoying interuption.

If it plays exactly the same, what's the point of a remake instead of a remaster?

Elios83

I hope they strike the right balance by improving graphics as much as possible without needing the budget of FF7R and without splitting the game in multiple parts.
Crisis Core on PS5 looks good but I hope for something a bit better.

What? You want it to play exactly the same as the original? What was so good and special about the combats in FF IX?

And if they keep the random encounters, that's terrible too. When I played FF IX on PC, the way I did it is that I played with turbo mode (X3 or something) and grinded for like 20 minutes like that, so I could turn off random encounters and enjoy the story for a little bit without these annoying interuption.

If it plays exactly the same, what's the point of a remake instead of a remaster?
Did they change up the combat in RE4R? They can, and probably will, change the random encounters, but the turn-based battle system is fine as is.

Fuz

Banned

You can go play Devil May Cry.

Hunter 99

This 100% would be a dream! Ff 9 was my first final fantasy that I bought from GAME in late 90s early 00s and it was £50 too!
I was so intrigued by the box art and 4 discs and didn't even know what it was all about.took a gamble on looks alone!
Best summer hols ever!

Chukhopops

Sure... but common.. this

I hope when he says that is a balanced between "FF7: Remake" and Crisis Core "Remaster", but I hope is "more" remake than "remaster"... because Crisis Core is just a Remaster... not very a "remake"..

Final Fantasy IX is a mainline episode and more expensive than FF8/10 an his time. That's not just a "simple" game at remaking, he was ambitious in his time. Knowing that Square has lost all the original assets of the game. The visual and artistic works for this game (design, chara/world design, music was) is enormous for 2023/2024 standard.
I think the issue with CC is the original more than the remaster, the game has aged really badly and was really limited by the PSP. There isn't much wrong with FFIX other than being a bit too easy and not offering much in terms of postgame content (especially compared to X).

Anyway, whichever combat system they go for, some people will be pissed - that's just inevitable.

lol, no way in hell would they not make this a turn based game. the feedback would be absolutely wild. a lot of fans have it at the near top of their list but for me it was middle of the list for me as far as ff games go. nothing bad to say about the game but it wasn't way up there for me. however, you can bet your smell asses i am hyped for this ! day 1.

Last edited:

KBii

Banned
I'd hope they'd do some revisions here and there. A few of the characters in the party just go nowhere in terms of development. Freya totally vanishes into the background after a point, I never knew what Quina was supposed to be all about, and Armarant just shows up and that's it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd hope they'd do some revisions here and there. A few of the characters in the party just go nowhere in terms of development. Freya totally vanishes into the background after a point, I never knew what Quina was supposed to be all about, and Armarant just shows up and that's it.
Freya finds her Raison D'etre but it's not quite what she imagined, gets a solid disc of development near enough, that's more than anything any a large portion of FF casts get. She isn't really prominent after that no. Quina's entire character is ignorance is bliss and self indulgence they have no bearing on the plot but the cast at times is reflective and jealous of their complete freedom. Amarant is the foil of Zidane I suppose, Zidane believes in team work and helping others and Amarant never did and was a loner who never gets anywhere, Ipson's Castle pretty much proved that. Amarant is very honest and to the point and Zidane can be a liar or overly emotional.

StereoVsn

Now days with proper mods you kind of have FFIX remake already and it's pretty great.

Still, it's one of my favorite FF game so happy to see it getting more coverage.

the_master

Just don't add any kind of GPS or overt handholding like in current SE games, let me explore/roleplay.
I disagree.
I don’t want to waste time trying to find where to go or whom to talk to. I do not enjoy this “challenge” anymore. Now a days all games (and there are more than ever) compete for our limited times, If I need to be walking back and forth talking to townspeople, I will get bored soon.

You mean this style?
iu

4QXukCs.gif

needs GIF

I'm conflicted on this news.
Yes and yes.

Both would be good things. It may symbolize Hironobu Sakaguchi could be retiring and returning to Final Fantasy would be a fitting end!

I can’t remember where the old rumor came from. But I’m sure someone can find it.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Nomura never even worked on FF IX, why are you even saying this? It really seems like people like to shit on Nomura for no reason, proof is the people who recently said FF XVI was confusing because of Nomura :messenger_sleeping:.
He was a core member of FF VII development, it made sense for him to be there for VII Remake.

Anyway, it sounds like missed potential if you make a remake only to keep it turn based in the end, weird choice if they do. Unless it's a really improved "turn based" ATB system, like how XIII changed it for example, but if it's generic regular turn based... no thanks.

Lightning Returns combat with swappable combat could be fantastic.

RayHell

Pls god no, playing OG 9 after playing 7R and 16 it feels soooo slow, its feels like every battle take at least 10 minutes to finish.

they really need to make combat a little more fast and dinamic like P5 or FF7R., OG combat is too old and outdated, dont get me wrong, the game is good, but the combat really need a upgrade in order to sell this game nowadays.

All the FF for the next million years will be action RPG and you want to destroy the only chance we got to get a Turn Based FF. Stop being greedy.

Pallas

Gold Member
Hopefully they keep through card game in. Also I don’t think it’s feasible to make it like the FFVII remake, they probably need a shorter dev cycle on this.

Top Bottom