• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaker Gives Update on Final Fantasy 9 and 10 Remakes

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A reputable leaker has provided Final Fantasy fans with updates on some of the franchise's new games that are supposedly on the way, such as the long-rumored remakes of Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 10. It's a good time to be a Final Fantasy fan, with Square Enix recently releasing Final Fantasy 16 to widespread critical acclaim and ramping up its marketing push for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, scheduled for release in 2024.

Franchise fans can look forward to the two Final Fantasy 16 DLC expansions that are on the way along with the game's PC port, and they can also keep an eye out more news on Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Some Final Fantasy enthusiasts may already be thinking about what's next for the long-running RPG series after the release of FF7 Rebirth and the post-launch support for FF16 wrap up. As it turns out, next in line could be a remake of Final Fantasy 9.

The Final Fantasy 9 remake first leaked ages ago, and now a new update has come courtesy of reputable leaker I'm a Hero Too, who recently touched on some things that are supposedly in the pipeline for Square Enix. According to their information, the Final Fantasy 9 remake was looking to launch at some point in the summer of 2024, but those plans may have changed. The leaker also said that the Final Fantasy 10 remake currently has a "skeleton crew" and will not be making the game's anniversary. Final Fantasy 10-3 was mentioned in conjunction with the FF10 remake, but it's unclear if the projects are one and the same.
In the same leak, the leaker also claimed that Square Enix has new PS5 dev kits that could very well be the rumored PS5 Pro console. No such console has been announced at the time of this writing, but rumor has it that Sony is indeed preparing PS5 console revisions. If a PS5 Pro console doesn't materialize, there is some more concrete evidence that suggests a PS5 Slim model is in the works at least.

As far as other Final Fantasy leaks, it's been said that Square Enix has a Nintendo Switch 2 dev kit as well and has successfully ported Final Fantasy 7 Remake to Nintendo's next console. The possibility was floated that Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be a launch title for the next Nintendo console, but the leaker was ultimately "not sure" if that was accurate or not.

ungalo

9 is the most well reviewed FF game ever.
10 is the best selling FF game, up there with 7.
I think they're making 9 because it's probably feasible with low budget whereas it would be hard for 8, for artistic reasons.

I don't think there is a logic tied to the perception of the games. Square actually put more efforts on the Trials of Mana remake than Secret of Mana.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I mean, 8 still sold around 8.6 million copies and was the fourth highest selling Playstation 1 game. That's more than the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1, Tekken 3 and all the Crash Bandicoot games.

I'd also point out that 8 has a Metacritic of "90" so it's absolutely not as if this game some dud.

8 is absolutely important enough to be remade.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Up until the FFX HD Remaster FFVIII was the second best selling FF and original sold more then FFVII which made it the best selling FF
It now sits as the 4th best selling with FFIX being the 8th.
So what's the reason again?

SkylineRKR

IX was very short in fact. Especially if the combat has been sped up to acceptable levels. Despite the slow ass combat I reached the ending of FFIX the fastest out of the PSX trilogy.

Reactions: TGO

Whitecrow

Banned
We're having 2 FFXVI DLCs? That's great : D

Man, I still remember that when they first announced FFX Remaster for PS3 I cried. Probably, the same will happen if they ever announce the remake.

Chukhopops

Final Fantasy 10-3 was mentioned in conjunction with the FF10 remake, but it's unclear if the projects are one and the same.
Eye Think GIF by VPRO

Bullshit imo.

The Shepard

They can't miss 8, it's my second favourite and was my most hyped game ever all them years ago. Maybe team 7 remake will jump on 8 after there finished.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I think they're making 9 because it's probably feasible with low budget whereas it would be hard for 8, for artistic reasons.

I don't think there is a logic tied to the perception of the games. Square actually put more efforts on the Trials of Mana remake than Secret of Mana.
100% this. It's going to be a relatively low-budget remake and I wouldn't be surprised if it shared team and technology with the Trials of Mana one. As far as I know, this remake is going to be similar to that one, style wise.

I also assume the reason we haven't heard about it (even though the game should be far along in development if not complete already) is a tie-in with the anime that was announced a long time ago.

K2D

Banned
With that argument, you could say 8 only sold well because it was coming off the heels of 6 and 7.
Yeah..

8 and 10 were great in their own right. 8 was divisive, and far from perfect, but most of it's flaws reflect back on player choice.

Too hard or convoluted (mechanics)? To easy or easily broken? Both are true, but due to player choice.

FFX greatest shortcoming is that they botched the remake with not preserving the facial animations.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
back when 9 came out, it kept the PS1 alive. I wouldn’t mind a change in pace. VII is great, but it also feels super exploited. It’s like Square is too aware of its popularity. Id like to see 9 and 10 get as big.

I personally loved the art and music of 8. I don’t get the hate. That game looked cool by the box.

Go_Ly_Dow

8 was the biggest in japan. 10 only sold so well because of the psx trilogy imo.

I mean, 8 still sold around 8.6 million copies and was the fourth highest selling Playstation 1 game. That's more than the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1, Tekken 3 and all the Crash Bandicoot games.

I'd also point out that 8 has a Metacritic of "90" so it's absolutely not as if this game some dud.

Up until the FFX HD Remaster FFVIII was the second best selling FF and original sold more then FFVII which made it the best selling FF
It now sits as the 4th best selling with FFIX being the 8th.
So what's the reason again?

I love FF8 and think its a great game. Particularly the modern art direction. I must have played through it 4-5 times over the past 20 years.

As ungalo says I think 8 is artistically a much more expensive game to recreate as a FF7R style game. So it'll be interesting to see when its remade if it gets FF7R AAA kind of recreation or an FF9 remake kind of recreation, which will probably be an evolution of the PS1 game design and graphical style, rather than huge 3D AAA rebuild like 7.

My overall point was that FF9 and FF10 remakes are probably slightly safer bets in terms of success and lower risk. Not that they're more worthy of remakes than 8.

Last edited:

Fabieter

With that argument, you could say 8 only sold well because it was coming off the heels of 6 and 7.

Imo 8 was truely great and I can replay most ff alot but I can't replay x its a slog. The japanese voice acting in the pc version helps alot tho. Never liked the English va

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So why again are we skipping a remake of 8?

Because it's a bad video game.

Played 6-9 for the first time as an adult in recent years, zero nostalgia attachment. FF8 is a bad video game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just curious since I haven't started. How is FF9 with the Moguri mod?

Got it running on Steam Deck and it's gorgeous. Those backgrounds look super crisp. Up there for me with the RE4 HD texture pack.

StereoVsn

I feel like VIII needs a full on FfVII style remake vs 2.5D one like Star Ocean, DQIII (if this ever comes out), and probably FFIX.

tibia

Neo Member
That is a lot of words to provide no real information. FFIX Remake may or may not release in summer 2024. FFX Remake has a skeleton crew and will not make 25 year anniversary.

These games are not confirmed so speculation on release date is hilariously meaningless.

Top Bottom