• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socivol

As excited as I am about a potential remake, my main complain was the story. Where FF13's story was totally nonsensical, FF12's story bugged me by being just so boring and plagued with charisma-less main characters like Vaan and Penelo. Unlike FFX, nobody really sat down, emoted, talked to each other... outside of maybe Fran and Balthier.

I doubt they'll fix that, but at least the game itself would benefit spectacularly from an HD version of the Zodiac edition.

Yeah I remember that! Aren't there some characters that don't talk to each other at all during the whole adventure?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The combat and boss fights were good in XII. Everything else...not so much. It probably has the worst, most boring story of any FF. (note: I have not played XIII)

They should trim the story up a bit. Take out the extra fat and make it clear from the beginning that Ashe and Brasch are the main characters. Having Vaan as a red herring was so stupid.

legacyzero

Banned
And the exploration and open environments... My God, please make this happen..

The combat and boss fights were good in XII. Everything else...not so much. It probably has the worst, most boring story of any FF. (note: I have not played XIII)

LOL. Play XIII :p

Fitts

XIII's story is... special. Snow's a hero, you know.

It's fucking awful.

I actually enjoyed what I played of XII's story and I also liked the characters to a surprising degree. It was a huge upgrade from X in my opinion.

Shin-chan

I felt the same way about the story when it first came out, though. But then I played the game years later when I was a little bit older, and could better understand the direction they were going. The Judges, the political struggle, Basch's fall and rise, Ash's journey to prove she's true royal. All of it was very mature, and well put together IMO. And I cant agree with the charisma-less character. I wouldn't confuse mature writing and down-to-earth acting as 1-dimensional.

Totally agree with this sentiment. My first playthrough of XII I was around 15-16 and enjoyed the gameplay enough to 100% it but thought the story and characters were forgettable at best.

I played it again just a year or too later and loved the story. I think it's awfully paced during its second half (it's basically unfinished and the party objectives are fairly uninspired) but the overall themes and what they were going for are what I really love to this day. No other big budget RPG has given me a similar feeling that XII does, and I think that was honestly one of my biggest disappointments with XIII and now maybe XV (who's characters feel very juvenile and lacking in any subtlety compared to XII, although this remains to be seen).

Griss

FIrst half of XII's story is as good as Final Fantasy writing has been. Second half it all unfortunately goes to shit, but I can't understand anyone ragging on that first half.

FFXIII, on the other hand, was painfully, outrageously terrible from minute 1 until finish.

People that criticize FF12 tend to be the same people that proclaim FF10 as the second coming of Christ. I ignore those people.

FF12 has beautiful art direction, the best translation and script thanks to Alexander O Smith's skilled work, a great voice cast (people that criticize Fran's English voice work are tone deaf), and well written characters. Ashe as a blood thirsty power seeking princess is an excellent repudiation of the typical princess trope. This game is a master work, the skills of the developers behind it are wielded with such deftness that subtlety is confused for boredom and poor writing.

This game deserves a remaster more than any other from Square's library. Great fucking game.

Qmzn

Neo Member
When I read this news, the first thing that came to my mind was "hoax, because impossible". I still can't believe it. Ivalice? Really?

I actually hope it's more of a remake than a remaster. Shift the story closer to the original, turn Vaan/Penelo into secondary characters, de-whine-ify Ashe a bit.

I know Final Fantasy preference can be really polarizing, but damn, Matsuno/Sakimoto is my favorite stuff. Very layered. If it's really true, I'm going to force everyone to buy this, to open the door for a Vagrant Story remaster.

Maybe they'll even reconcile with Matsuno, and get back to the stories of power abuse and political upheaval like Tactics and FF6, instead of the traditional Final Fantasy "crystals are ultra magic of save or destroy universe in the future" approach. Nothing inherently wrong with the latter, but there used to be room for both.

People that criticize FF12 tend to be the same people that proclaim FF10 as the second coming of Christ. I ignore those people.

FF12 has beautiful art direction, the best translation and script thanks to Alexander O Smith's skilled work, a great voice cast (people that criticize Fran's English voice work are tone deaf), and well written characters. Ashe as a blood thirsty power seeking princess is an excellent repudiation of the typical princess trope. This game is a master work, the skills of the developers behind it are wielded with such deftness that subtlety is confused for boredom and poor writing.

This game deserves a remaster more than any other from Square's library. Great fucking game.

Glad to hear people defending this brilliant game.

Well, I guess I'm not playing the PS2 copy of the Zodiac Job System I bought a while ago.
AU7Amsc.gif

Paracelsus

I like how your argument says nothing of the game part of FFXII.

Shin-chan

Preach, man. Alexander O Smith is the best in the business. Square should have done whatever they had to to keep him from going freelance. I only wish Matsuno had more works so we had more great localizations.

magnetic

I've tried many FF games here and there and none of them hooked me for more than a few hours. FfXII looks like the one game that I would really enjoy. The art direction alone looks very interesting and the combat looks very good as well. I love the more grounded tone, FFX was such a turnoff.

Could be the perfect Vita game!

legacyzero is bullshitting all of you. Just the other day we had an extensive Twitter dialogue about how FFXIII is actually the best installment in the series. shinobi602 also agrees.

The stupid PS3 remaster of X took years.

I'm betting this has been in the works for a while though. I mean, I don't know when music stuff comes into production of a remaster, but this has been rumored for a while. I can't imagine Square will have us waiting another two years for an RPG. Based on nothing at all except my gut and terrifically biased hope, I bet this is a holiday 2016 release. Again, based on nothing at all.

dramatis

I imagine it would be impossible, but I wonder if they can fix the audio >.<
If they have the source audio that they made the compressed audio from, they'll be able to fix that.

However, Square is a bit bad at preserving things. The best you can hope is that by 2006 they finally figured out that they had to preserve original assets.

Oh please, Final Fantasy X is fantastic. No need to belittle people who enjoy it.

I love Final Fantasy XII, but it's story didn't do much for me, the whole "blood thirsty power seeking princess" you gush about just felt like a revenge story by the end of the game. Nothing ground breaking, she also realizes it's probably not what her late husband would have wanted, so novel. Also, the original version's gameplay was close to perfect, but the only thing that differentiated the characters in battle were stats and Quickening power levels. In essence you have six carbon copies with varying stats. IZJS addresses this by giving you Jobs. Honestly IZJS is why I'm so excited to give this another go. Sounds like it manages to fix all my gameplay gripes with the first iteration.

Honestly if there was one thing I loved about Final Fantasy XII it was the exploration and combat system (which IZJS seems to fixes) It's story was fine on it's own merits, I can see why people enjoyed it, but my interest wavered. I just wanted to keep exploring Ivalice. I did like how the characters explored themes of coping with lost family, and obtaining freedom. I'll take the antics of the Sakaguchi-era Final Fantasy characters any day.

I like how your argument says nothing of the game part of FFXII.

Sorry dude, I'm still writing my dissertation on how FF12 is better than your favorite game. :)

And what's wrong with FF12's gameplay? The gambit system is great, it forced you to plan encounters ahead of time or you could ignore it and enter all your commands manually depending on player preference. The license board let you create completely different builds for your party members or offered you the flexibility of keeping your characters well rounded, again - player choice.

The FF community is a strange beast. I just don't get the praise heaped on FF10 and all the vitriol towards FF13. Both games are structured similarly and are just as linear. FF10 is a huge hallway too. I feel I'm taking crazy pills when I hear all the FF13 corridor talk and no one says a peep about FF10's design and structure.

FF12 struck out on its own, and it should be admired for that if anything.

Sorry dude, I'm still writing my dissertation on how FF12 is better than your favorite game. :)

And what's wrong with FF12's gameplay? The gambit system is great, it forced you to plan encounters ahead of time or you could ignore it and enter all your commands manually depending on player preference. The license board let you create completely different builds for your party members or offered you the flexibility of keeping your characters well rounded, again - player choice.

The FF community is a strange beast. I just don't get the praise heaped on FF10 and all the vitriol towards FF13. Both games are structured similarly and are just as linear. FF10 is a huge hallway too. I feel I'm taking crazy pills when I hear all the FF13 corridor talk and no one says a peep about FF10's design and structure.

FF12 struck out on its own, and it should be admired for that if anything.

There are similarities between FFX and FFXIII, but they are not all that similar in the grand scheme of things. Again I love both FFX and FFXII, but FFXII left a bad first impression with the original version. IZJS sounds like they perfected it. Really wish it was what the game originally shipped as.

legacyzero

Banned
legacyzero is bullshitting all of you. Just the other day we had an extensive Twitter dialogue about how FFXIII is actually the best installment in the series. shinobi602 also agrees.

gregariousagreeablehoa0squ.gif

UNTRUE

If I could purge the Earth of every physical copy and/or PC that has it, I would LAUGH LIKE FUCKING KEFKA

EDIT: OH FUCK MY PC HAS IT

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If they have the source audio that they made the compressed audio from, they'll be able to fix that.

However, Square is a bit bad at preserving things. The best you can hope is that by 2006 they finally figured out that they had to preserve original assets.

Alexander O. Smith told me a while back they basically do.

CarJeter

Neo Member
Oh please, Final Fantasy X is fantastic. No need to belittle people who enjoy it.

I know right.

He acts he same way the FFX fanatics would do about FFXII...

The story of XII might be better than what the majority of players perceive, and no one can deny that the writing is really the best in the series, but the PACING is so god damn awful it heavily affects the plot and characters in a negative way. The amount of freedom you have might be a huge plus on the gameplay side, but storywise it is soo bad. Like, in the middle of the game after I arrived at Balthier's hometown I think (Archadia??), I barely knew what was going on. Vaan, Penelo and Fran are pretty unimportant in the grand schemes of things outside of 1-2 personal chapters thrown in into the storyline. Add the atrocious pacing of the game and their unimportance is even more apparent.

Since it will likely be a remaster rather than a remake, I am happy that I will finally play the IZJS version and hopefully I will pay more attention to the plot of this game.

Jonm1010

Banned

I love Final Fantasy XII, but it's story didn't do much for me, the whole "blood thirsty power seeking princess" you gush about just felt like a revenge story by the end of the game. Nothing ground breaking, she also realizes it's probably not what her late husband would have wanted, so novel. Also, the original version's gameplay was close to perfect, but the only thing that differentiated the characters in battle were stats and Quickening power levels. In essence you have six carbon copies with varying stats. IZJS addresses this by giving you Jobs. Honestly IZJS is why I'm so excited to give this another go. Sounds like it manages to fix all my gameplay gripes with the first iteration.

Honestly if there was one thing I loved about Final Fantasy XII it was the exploration and combat system (which IZJS seems to fixes) It's story was fine on it's own merits, I can see why people enjoyed it, but my interest wavered. I just wanted to keep exploring Ivalice. I did like how the characters explored themes of coping with lost family, and obtaining freedom. I'll take the antics of the Sakaguchi-era Final Fantasy characters any day.

Final fantasy 10 was utter dogshit by story standards. Only one worse since 7 is 13.

Interesting plot brought down by awful characters, ridiculous ending and poor execution. The only thing interesting was the twist but then they literally went and handled its solution in the worst, most predictable way they possibly could.

Probably the biggest letdown of a final fantasy game ever.

The only people I can see loving 10 are those that did for nostalgia purposes because it was the game that released in that sweet spot during adolescence/teen years.

Zophar

Final fantasy 10 was utter dogshit by story standards. Only one worse since 7 is 13.

Interesting plot brought down by awful characters, ridiculous ending and poor execution. The only thing interesting was the twist but then they literally went and handled its solution in the worst, most predictable way they possibly could.

The only people I can see loving 10 are those that did for nostalgia purposes because it was the game that released in that sweet spot during adolescence/teen years.

Hate to break it to you but FF stories are all pretty equally poor.

Bousf

Alexander O. Smith told me a while back they basically do.
YASSSSS

I personally loved the game, even though the story during the second half got a bit weird for my taste (still loved it)

Exploration in XII is among the most entertaining I have ever done in gaming, and the amount of extra content (including whole freaking places) is outstanding. Cities are an example of what FF towns should be like and the VA is MASTERFUL. The gambit system allows for tons of strategy and it was fun to tweak. And all of that will feel familiar yet new with IZJS, so dunno about you guys, but I NEED THIS GAME!!

I disagree, I enjoyed the "fish-out-of-water" way they told the story. It's really cool to learn about Spira through Tidus' perspective. The characters were fine, In particular how both Tidus and Yuna both have to compete with their father's legacy. Though Wakka sucked, and the rest of the cast wasn't as interesting either. Honestly. you can predict the outcome of just about any story really.

Hate to break it to you but FF stories are all pretty equally poor.

Pretty much, it's just how they manage to tell the story is what interests me.

Also arguing about story always feels like an exercises in futility because what is a "Good" story is incredibly subjective. It's why I've just tried to decipher the underlying motivations and themes that characters convey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom