• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden: Okami SEQUEL to the system that won the system war!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I swear to god if anything bad happens to Chibiterasu during the course of the game I'm going to die from crying.

I barely made it through the original. FO REALS.

Seriously.

Meesh

Mejilan said:
Now you're just being a brat (and, unsurprisingly, an asshole). You're up in arms over nothing. Literally nothing. I quoted you and responded simply as a discussion point, not to call you out over a fallacy or to somehow disprove your opinion with my own opinion. That's ridiculous, and if that's how you choose to interpret this discussion, then we have nothing left to discuss. That was never my intent, and I'm not going to continue to play your stupid little game (beyond this response) just because you choose to be a little bitch about it.
LOL. Well, perhaps you should have phrased it differently, and as your chosen term "brat" indicates, you would continue to talk at me as you would some kid. But hey, that was my interpretation of your post. If you're going to call someone out, make it stick...
Want another? Wind Waker hits the GCN. Phantom Hourglass continues that story and those characters on the DS (much like Okamiden seems to be doing). Spirit Tracks seems to continue Phantom Hourglass, also on the DS. (Twilight Princess technically follows up on Ocarina of Time, not Wind Waker; as both WW and TP are set up like "alternate" possible futures from the events of OoT). This may hold less water, since we don't really know if Spirit Tracks features the same Link, or just one that looks like him. The Zelda franchise is a bit sticky, however, since they're not numbered, and the order of games varies a bit between Japan and the US (thanks to classically loose localization standards back in the day). But I think we can all agree that the main adventures (regardless of platform) are mainline games, and only gimmicky entries like Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training merit being called spin-offs.

Wait, another? Ok, how about a third party entry this time? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. The original was a multiplayer, dungeon-crawling Action RPG. It got a similarly themed, similarly playing sequel on the DS featuring offline local multiplayer. That got ANOTHER direct sequel on the DS, this time with online multiplayer. Sure, it was also packaged onto a Wii disc and sold as a separate SKU, but no one who played it can argue that it's anything more than a DS game (with texture filtering) on a Wii disc. Hell, the "two screens" are simply side-by-side.

Oh, but there's a new FFCC Crystal Bearers also coming to the Wii, you say? True, but by all reports, that's more of a single-player, story-driven action/adventure game than a multiplayer, dungeon-crawling ARPG; so it's a different beast entirely, either spin-off or franchise reboot or what have you, but certainly not a "traditional" FFCC game like the three that came before it.
Brilliant, you've made my day, and almost made my point. Although those games sold better to begin with on home consoles I believe, and the hand held versions were the icing on the cake. So you're saying, in a round abouts way, if Okami sold better on consoles, a ressurrection after Okami DS is more likely? Maybe? If it weren't for the sales of Okamis first two outings I'd feel better about it...my thought was, like these examples, if Okami DS was a bonafide hit though, (even considering the bombs) surely a home console sequel is viable. It's true, Okami DS is pure miracle...I'm just hoping for a similar trend like with FF:CC...but as much as I appreciate Okami, it's track record dictates otherwise. But yeah, I'm hoping things will swing the other way, it's crazy I know.
To be fair, Chibi Robo doesn't work so well in this case...There's no sequel on Wii to compare...
Satisfied? Either way, I suspect you'll just go around in more circles. I'm done with this. I'll spend the rest of the evening playing Okami, thank-you-very-much.
Sorta, yeah, I'm not about going around in circles, that's not my thing, I'm about being real. My "behind the computer screen" identity is the same as it is in person, so for me, some shit is definitely personal. Anyways, my thought was that potentially an Okami console version could be viable, admittedly the idea holds more weight if it's first swings were hits, but as you pointed out with Zelda and FF:CC it does happen. We just don't have any solid examples that "bombed games" on consoles, after a handheld rebirth, can spark genuine interest for a sequel. So, it can go either way...

LaserBuddha said:
Is there room in that head of yours for people who prefer the 360/PS3 because they feel the games are actually better?

I didn't say it was impossible for someone to consider the 360/PS3 to have better games. However on here the gap between the number of people who like the DS (and wii even) is dwarfed by the number of people who like 360 and PS3.

Yet the DS is the best selling console of all time with arguably one of the best libraries of all time. The wii is also close to the best selling console of all time and look at it's popularity on gaf.

There is a reason for this.

LaserBuddha said:
Or is it a forgone conclusion that people must be graphics whores to prefer them. Or that placing importance on graphical presentation makes you a "graphics whore" (whatever that means)?

I place importance on graphical presentation. I myself am a graphics whore from time to time.

What bothers me is that on many occasions the majority of gaf simply ignores games due to their graphics and games get overhyped by a huge margin because of their graphics.

Haunted said:
Don't be so negative, there's a sizable contingent of Okami fans here, as well as a lot of DS owners. We'll try to make sure this won't be forgotten or overlooked.

So many people on gaf talk about how good gafs taste is and how horrible the casual gamers taste is. One of the prime examples used to prove this is okami. Yet when we get the sequel to this game which most thought would never happen it will be almost entirely overlooked due to it's graphics/platform.

Haunted said:
It might not get as hyped as the two titles you mentioned above, but let's just say that those received exorbitant amounts of hype for other reasons as well.

Yeah i know.

stuburns said:
Dead Rising is by far the worst offender. GAF acts like it's a masterpiece and it's awful.

There wasn't much hype for this on gaf and there still isn't. There is a small contingent who love it but there are just as many who hate (and they are far more vocal like yourself).

ZealousD said:
Somebody is forgetting about Scribblenauts.

Really? Compare the size of it's hype threads to KZ2.

Jaded Alyx said:
I was thinking Brawl.

This i can at least understand. Although that massive thread was mostly comprised of a small number of people. It also didn't invade most other threads on gaf.

TacticalFox88 said:
That would be MGS4

Again compare it's hype thread to KZ2's.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
morningbus said:
I swear to god if anything bad happens to Chibiterasu during the course of the game I'm going to die from crying.

I barely made it through the original. FO REALS.

Seriously.
i cried at the end of okami 1.

ethelred

The DS game is without doubt going to have lower quality music on a technical level if not a compositional level (something we really can't judge yet, though I suspect it will be lower quality in that regard as well) and it will without doubt have less music than the PS2 game. I'm not sure why people are arguing that. These aren't so much debatable points. The technical presentation of Okami's music was extraordinary, and I think that game has a larger soundtrack than any other I've ever played. It's enormously impressive from a musical standpoint.

That said, there's no reason to think that Okamiden will have crappy music. Even if the DS hardware's sound chip isn't terribly impressive, there are a number of composers and sound engineers that have done really high quality work on it, not just from a compositional perspective, but also in terms of presenting that music in as high a quality as possible. People have already mentioned The World Ends With You and Soma Bringer (Mitsuda specifically commented repeatedly on how much of a project it was for him to make sure the sound quality was exceptionally high) and Ninokuni (though unless Joe Hisaishi is composing for Okamiden, with the music to be entirely performed by the Tokyo Phil, I'd stop expecting the 4gb cart Level-5 is using for that game), but there are plenty of other examples as well. Okamiden's soundtrack will not be on the same level as Okami's, but it can still have a very strong musical presence.

djtiesto said:
I thought it looked good for DS, but a 2D game would be even better... still don't understand why DS devs insist on 3D for games.

I think this criticism is fairly overblown, to be honest. The vast majority of notable games on the DS are 2D, and of the ones that aren't, most of them use 3D to fairly effective ends. All else being equal, sure, I'd prefer for most DS games to be 2D just because of how much I love 2D and because of I see it fading away and I'd love to have one last bastion of it. But if 3D can be used well, I'm fine with that.

Like, I know some people hate that Phantom Hourglass was 3D, but I'm glad that even while using 3D graphics it retained the 2D overhead style of gameplay while still using the 3D at certain points to do things they wouldn't have been able to do in a pure 2D game (the sailing, for instance, or most of the way cool boss fights). And it seems that DQ9 also makes good use of its 3D to do things they couldn't do in a purely 2D game.

Even though, weirdly enough, I mused just two weeks ago how cool it'd be to have a 2D Okami done by the Minish Cap team... I'm okay with the game being 3D if they use that to good effect for the gameplay. I'm pleased by the extent to which they've retained the original game's artistic style, so that helps, too. And I guess, ultimately, I do understand why developers don't do 2D as much anymore as they used to (because the people with those skills aren't around as much as they used to be, because it takes a lot of talent to create a really good looking 2D game, because that's not what younger developers are getting trained in anymore) and I understand why publishers don't do 2D as much anymore (because it's not seen as in demand by consumers, because it takes more time, because it takes more money), so I'm just thankful when we do get the 2D games that we get these days.

Regulus Tera said:
DQV and DQIV look a lot better than DQIX.

Outside of its animated enemy sprites, DQ4 doesn't look all that great. DQ5 has the great enemy sprites again, and it also has some really lovely locations. But just going off screens, DQ9 also has some amazing looking areas like
53733s.jpg
and
24wy8tv.jpg
So I wouldn't say that 4 and 5 look "a lot" better than 9. I think they look different and they take their own separate approaches to achieving nice visuals, but they all look great. But I haven't played DQ9 yet, I've only seen some screens, and I'm not really going to debate that further.

Y2Kev said:
omg omg squeeeeee chibiterasu <3
this is my most anticipated DS game now
The PS2 game has 5 cds of music. This is going to have fewer tracks.

Strange Journey is still most most anticipated DS game, but... I'm really looking forward to this sequel that I never ever thought would exist. And yes, Chibiterasu is so adorably cute, and yes, the PS2 game's soundtrack is utterly amazing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Regulus Tera said:
DQV and DQIV look a lot better than DQIX.

On the other hand, 3D made it possible for visible equipment, so I'm okay with that.

Visible equipment changes is one of the little things that I always like to see in a game.

duckroll said:
Framerate looked pretty damn shitty. Maybe it's just flash, but it looked pretty jerky and slow on the site.

All of the movies on the site seemed to have a shitty framerate to me (take a look at the short FMV clip of Biohazard Darkside Chronicles). Even the menu was dragging.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
All of the movies on the site seemed to have a shitty framerate to me (take a look at the short FMV clip of Biohazard Darkside Chronicles). Even the menu was dragging.

Yeah, like I said, it could just be flash. Such a shitty format. :/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looks good, and stylus control will work really well. Hope the gameplay and pacing improves on the original, maybe even go beyond being just a Zelda clone.

:lol WTF at the Ghost Trick teaser.

Very cute, almost looks like a kitty, me likes.

Mentioned to a customer today (who is interested in Okami) that a new Okami was coming out on DS. She was like oh cool, but didn't go OMG REALLY??... probably doesn't know/care about the story of Clover and stuff like we didn't think we'd ever get another so just treated it like a normal sequel. :lol

The DS thing made me hesitant (and a little disappointed its not Wii) at first instead of an all crazy shocked hyped fest like when they announced a 2nd Baten Kaitos game, but the more I see of it the more I'm liking it! Bring it on baby!

DS ftw.

D-Pad

Conrad Link said:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/jonathan_nz/untitled-1.jpg[IMG]

I like how he's peeking out from behind it all not impressed.

GET IT CHIB! GET IT![/QUOTE]
:lol

Pretty sure the higher resolution Lost Planet 2 clip playing at a far higher framerate refutes that personally for me. Okamiden clip was like in slow motion. No-one can really be surprised though, surely?

Obviously direct feed might reveal it to be faster, but an edited animated gif to normal speed isn't representative of anything.

duckroll said:
Framerate looked pretty damn shitty. Maybe it's just flash, but it looked pretty jerky and slow on the site.
Yeah. It also looked too floaty. Could be the flash though, like you said. Its cute as hell though :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've not played the original Okami but Chibiterasu just sold me on this game.

ethelred said:
Outside of its animated enemy sprites, DQ4 doesn't look all that great. DQ5 has the great enemy sprites again, and it also has some really lovely locations. But just going off screens, DQ9 also has some amazing looking areas like
53733s.jpg
and
24wy8tv.jpg
So I wouldn't say that 4 and 5 look "a lot" better than 9. I think they look different and they take their own separate approaches to achieving nice visuals, but they all look great. But I haven't played DQ9 yet, I've only seen some screens, and I'm not really going to debate that further.

The areas get all fuzzy looking when close. It's the textures that make DQIX ugly for me, not the models.

At least in videos and screens. I haven't been able to play it.

duckroll

Regulus Tera said:
The areas get all fuzzy looking when close. It's the textures that make DQIX ugly for me, not the models.

At least in videos and screens. I haven't been able to play it.

Yeah, DQIX has a lot of issues, and it's not something Level 5 can get away with just by saying "lol DS" imo. I just don't feel a TON of polish has been put into the game. Not only do some areas in DQIX look pretty bland even compared to DQM Joker, but the shitty ass framerate in EVERY SINGLE TOWN is really annoying.

Top Bottom