• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Legion announced (website, features, Demon Hunters, more)

Silvawuff

I think my main problem with this expansion is they haven't revealed anything interesting endgame to do outside of the normal three activities.

They really, really, really need to come up with something else besides dungeons/raids/pvp to keep the player base engaged and interested once they hit max level.

strafer

Seeing as I only play the game for the story I don't really have a problem with few raids and dungeons. I'm not a hardcore raider. I don't raid on set times. I might queue up for LFR once a while, but it's nothing I do everyday.

This game is still a big part of me. I was 17 when I started playing, I'm 28 now. I'm not going to abandon this game now.

Thank you.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Legion seems really light on features like WoD was.

The class weapon stuff seemed pretty cool and everyone has been wanting DH since I started playing in 2010 so that's nice. I'm optimistic but I'm keeping my hype levels pretty low until they can prove that they learned from all the mistakes they made in WoD.

ZenaxPure

Just for the record of the OP, Khadgar is from the real timeline not the alternate one. The only thing carrying over from the crappy alternate universe is Gul'dan but that was a given with what happens in the latest raid. Gul'dan gets knocked into the twisting nether which now in lore connects all universes together so he will find his way into the real timeline from there. He is pretty much nothing but our mcguffin considering he will be killed off in the first raid tier.

I'm reading through the feature list and all I see is "Yeah, other MMOs have done that. Yeah, FFXIV did that. And that. and that. And that, too"

But hey, 14 stole a lot and owes a lot to WoW, so, y'know, whatever.

(Not saying 14 is the end-all-be-all, but my MMO experience is limited to FF11/14, WoW, and SWTOR)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think my main problem with this expansion is they haven't revealed anything interesting endgame to do outside of the normal three activities.

They really, really, really need to come up with something else besides dungeons/raids/pvp to keep the player base engaged and interested once they hit max level.

This is always WoW great downfall, the most engaging end game activity looks to be doing the prestige for your pvp ranks, hopefully artifact weapons will continue to be a thing at max level.

I am hoping they axe LFR and make dungeons the center stage for non raiding progression, with the ability to get better rewards from them if you pour a lot of time into them or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The most peculiar part for me was announcing Khadgar as the leader of the Kirin Tor and Jaina "pissed off" when she left. I will repeat this from the live stream.

Blizzard, if you turn Jaina into a raid boss you are dead to me.

Write it down - she's gonna the focus of the next Wrath of the Lich King spin-off expansion where she steals Bolvar's powers to become the Lich Queen.

No Kael'Thas, no buy.

Also that Artifact system is going to get butchered before launch.

I imagine that if it doesn't already work like that now, it will end up working identically to weapon drops right now, you'll just get like "fragment of Illidan" or something to upgrade your weapon.

Lesath

Yeah, no hype for now. Pretty much was all still images, text, and concept art. Demon Hunter looks like they cannibalized the Demonology spec, so I don't know what Warlocks are left with (maybe we'll become a two-spec class too?). And ffs they said they were happy with the amount of content released for WoD. Class Halls, if they worked more like Archeus, had the potential to be awesome, but garrisons 2.0 is underwhelming. On a more personal level, kind miffed they threw Jaina under the bus for boring farm-a-billion-legendary-quest-times-for-me Khadgar.

1. Social garrisons revolving around your class seems like a good idea. There's nothing wrong with looking at the current garrison iteration and seeing its good and bad parts.

2. Artifact weapons look like WoW-ified FFXIV relics. That could be interesting. They offer a new daily/weekly grind, which isn't bad.

3. I think the introduction of Mythic dungeons means that even with just 9 dungeons right now means they realize that with future patches they can release mythic versions of the new 9.

4. Giving PvP'ers a reason to PvP grind is good. I like it. Prestige isn't bad. Giving PvP also a separate talent tree for balancing is something everyone's been wanting.

RPGCrazied

Everyone gets an artifact? How do you power up? Daily quests? I missed that part. Hopefully no raiding... I can do the dungeons I'm sure just fine though.

CHC

I'm just not excited because there is no change in philosophy from WoD. It's the same "you are so special" plot that front loads a fun leveling experience at the cost of not feeling like part of a legitimate community and world. Things like Demon Hunters and Artifacts are just being thrown at us to placate unhappy players, but none of it will matter when it's taken for granted 3 months after launch.

They presented no compelling reasons why I would KEEP playing this game, even if I did go ahead and get it. There is so much they need to fix under the surface that they didn't even touch on, and I can't feel confident about this until they do.

New PvP system sounds great though - really dig that even though it's being shit on for cribbing COD. Gear providing a slight advantage is how it should be - the elites shall be known by their cosmetics and their actual skill.

I feel like they use to have a lot of niche activities that you could take part in. From crafting (which was once a bitch), to gathering (which become remarkably lame in WoD), to things like twinking.

Blizz killed every one for no good reason.

Niche play is good, but Blizz seems offended by the very concept of someone enjoying a part of the game that is outside of raiding or pvp.

Manoko

Man, just imagine how bad it would have hit my ego if I was only a part of that world, a part of my class order, a part of my faction, finding weapons in accordance to my achievements in battle, respecting artifacts' history and wielders, heroes of the past.
Fighting the Burning Legion with my peers, saving Azeroth with my small but important contribution, one step at a time.

Instead, I'm looking forward to create my Demon Hunter with big ass horns, lots of muscles and awesome tats.
Then, go to the Black Temple and recreate the Twin Blades of Azzinoth, become the hero the world of Warcraft deserves and be the leader of my new class order.
Modify the piece of Warcraft lore I, along with every other player, will find to add some awesome new effects such as big ass flames and skulls.

Yeah, thank you Blizzard.
I wish I was dumb enough to buy into that bullsh*t.

Everyone gets an artifact? How do you power up? Daily quests? I missed that part. Hopefully no raiding... I can do the dungeons I'm sure just fine though.

Looks like it'll be similar to 14's relic system, where you perform "adventuring activities" and power up your weapon

So, basically, doing things you would normally do anyway, like dungeons/raids/PvP/etc.

Demonology is going to have one crazy re-work, say good by to Demonic Fury etc.

I'm sure raiders will be able to power it up faster than everyone else and/or get an additional tier to that no one else can get. Gotta feel special and all.

V-Faction

The only thing missing is pretty much:

-New Races
-Some ocean zone, I guess?

Otherwise, we're getting a little bit of everything. The Emerald Dream, Queen Azshara, the Burning Legion, Titans, Demon Hunter.

PatzCU

Not the Hail Mary I was expecting from Blizz on this. It's honestly just more of the same, but what else can we expect? Either they are innovating on a tired formula or simply not innovating.

At the very least I was expecting some kind of Hearthstone tie-in, some new type of end-game progression besides grinding professions and gear, or exciting social/community features that would leverage on this being an MMO. Too bad.

I don't even think F2P could bring me back into WoW.

Savitar

If I was the King I would get pretty damn worried at how quick my son is aging.

That's some "Oh shit, he is going to go evil or I might or at least one of us will die soon" standard Blizzard trope if I ever saw one.

I have a feeling that rogues are just dead when this expansion hits.

Someones got to open the lock boxes!

Nydius

Really not all that excited about this. Just like WoD, it feels like they're trying too hard to recapture the old Burning Crusade days by rehashing elements from Burning Crusade (and Wrath). Demon Hunters are Death Knights all over again. The PVP "normalization" system and PVP talent system is long overdue, although I'm not a fan of the copy of the prestige system.

I also still have lingering cynicism from Warlords. Let's not forget how they promised the world to us during the Warlords reveal, hitting on (to paraphrase others) all the major things people wanted to see.. only to deliver a half baked piece of shit that took 9 months to get as many raids as Mists had open in its first 6 weeks. I can't take the raid and dungeon information presented at face value or get hyped because they overpromised Warlords and delivered something almost completely different.

And I'm still waiting to hear what their plans are to fix the crafting system they completely broke and what, if anything, they hope to do to address the in game economy that was wrecked by the proliferation of easy mode gold farm Garrisons.

Glass

So is Artifact weapons a similar concept to something in FF14?

I can't wrap my head around it from this presentation alone. If this weapon for your class has its own talent tree, is every other weapon now useless?

And is the visual tied into the talents? In which case youre not really customization its look how you want but rather the weapon stat's itself right?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some artwork from the press kit:

legion_box_cover_020c2akw2.jpg

RPGCrazied

I guess they kinda gave us a new race. BE''s and NEs hybrid with horns and tattoos! I think its pretty cool. Have they said what type of weapon they use?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a feeling that rogues are just dead when this expansion hits.

They aren't gonna go live with "stealth doesn't work" no matter what they say, I'm guessing.

Remember when WoD came out, for the first month people were like "This is the greatest shit ever!" then 3 months later they were like "WTF, this is AWFUL!" Blizzard didn't acknowledge that. It didn't sound to me like they acknowledged anything that caused the subscriber drop or the things that made their player base unhappy directly. That REALLY bothers me.

I know for me personally, I may be excited about this expansion but they have a LONG way to go before they earn my trust. I think what we just saw was what the entire expansion will be, with maybe a new raid for 7.1 or 7.2 to end the expansion. Then that will lead to the next expansion. I actually liked when I could really settle in to content, not feel like we had to rush through it. I don't like content droughts but I also don't want this stuff created so quickly that it becomes irrelevant very quickly.

Aeana

I can't wrap my head around it from this presentation alone. If this weapon for your class has its own talent tree, is every other weapon now useless?

And is the visual tied into the talents? In which case youre not really customization its look how you want but rather the weapon stat's itself right?

No, the visual presentation is a separate aspect of customization.

Manoko

I guess they kinda gave us a new race. BE''s and NEs hybrid with horns and tattoos! I think its pretty cool. Have they said what type of weapon they use?

Not a new race.
A new race has more than one class available to play.

(Along with everything else as well: new starting zones, new animations, new models, new lore).

I agree, but this seems like a problem with most MMOs. I think the only way MMOs get away from that kind of design is if they do away with "forced-grouping to experience content" entirely.

Tenebrous

Pathetic.

They had to come out swinging on the back of their biggest subscriber loss in history, and all they can come up with is a random amalgamation of player favourite figures & lore thrown loosely together with a time travel excuse.

Just 8 dungeons & 2 raids, which is not enough. No new BGs, no arenas no new races, no new professions, no Beta release date.

3-4m subs by the time the expansion prepatch lands, and they deserve it. A terribly average expansion pack announcement.

Angry Grimace

My guess is you won't even have the option to get another weapon during this expansion.

Almost assuredly Glaives, and almost assuredly their Artifact is the Warglaives of Azzinoth.

You can't be serious. Maybe like someone said for the top tier unlocks, but not for the whole thing.

Seems like this is a big part of the expansion.

Oh, the talents themselves? Yeah, that's probably just doing quests and collecting bear asses. But making the weapon "better" is gonna end up being "raid" at some point.

So Jaina no longer leads the Kirin-Tor was this explained in Draenor? I'm assuming they are setting her up for a major fall. Hopefully, we'll finally get an Alliance baddie?

Top Bottom