• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Legion pre-patch

Meia

I'm not personally concerned with DPS classes and how they play. I play healers. And healing is definitely not better now than it used to be. I used to feel much more engaged in the game when I had to make decisions about how best to use my mana. We're nearing "just press this one button and people will live" territory, although we're not quite there yet thankfully.

I just don't know how making it more braindead is considered improvement unless your goal is to expend as little effort as possible and reap the rewards.

This is very much where I'm headed to. Back in TBC, planning fights from a healer perspective, figuring out which RANK of each spell to use to stretch your mana out just that little bit further so you're not wasting it with overhealing since it actually mattered, playing with the five second rule to also get the most out of it(as a healer making sure I had max first aid so I could heal myself without using mana so I can regen faster), all of these techniques were pretty much extinguished after that expansion. There are still some healers that are complex, but I find myself needing to switch classes more often to get it(monk first introduced and being a melee healer, while making use out of both melee abilities and normal healer abilities to get the most out of the healer).

With Legion, it seems that Discipline priests fill that role now, so I can't wait to see if it's as fun as it could be. Still though, the game's direction it's been moving in usually haven't been positive(not sure still if removing the idea of buffs like Fort or Blessings is an overall positive to the game as a whole).

if anything, that song playing in the new area in stormwind is amazing

transmog change is probably the biggest plus for me. made like 3k selling all the stuff in my bank and void storage. pvp was kinda odd but fun since no one was getting bursted down too quick. i want to attribute that to people still getting used to new abilities/rotations, but i hope it stays like this for a good while.

forrest

formerly nacire
I've always played a hunter over the years when I played WoW and the change to focus was probably one of the greatest changes to the class imo. Reading about the change to energy based resource seems like a bad move. I had a few alts over the years that I really didn't spend a lot of time with, but I did feel like the time I spent with a rogue was a lot of downtime between abilities.

I kind of liked constantly casting a generator while dealing with raid hazards. It made awareness vs dps output gratifying and important.

I've watched some extensive videos about the overhaul to the class and might jump back in just to see how it all shakes out.

thefil

Does anyone know if this patch added the action camera? I want to try it, as it's my biggest motivation to maybe get Legion.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Does anyone know if this patch added the action camera? I want to try it, as it's my biggest motivation to maybe get Legion.

It did, but I think it's only accessible via console commands. It's not in the actual settings window yet.

Fjordson

Lots of great things in this patch. The new transmog system is amazing and I've only played two classes (fury warrior & fire mage) but both are a lot of fun.

My only issue right now is the new scrolling combat text. It's so terrible compared to how it was pre-patch, no clue why Blizz felt the need to change it.

Freeman76

Great patch really, yes things have been simplified slightly but after toying around for a while it really hasnt made much of a difference, I actually prefer my Destro Lock now, and my MM Hunter is pretty great too. I love the fact you can go petless for an 18% dps increase, alongside shadow bolt which summons a pet to take aggro.

Most of the WoW drama queens are in full effect over this though :(

Less spells in the rotation makes for a more focussed experience IMO, I've been playing this game for years on and off since vanilla, and I love what they are doing with it. Let the whingers whinge, if it wasnt WoW it would be something else, Blizz cant keep everyone happy at the end of the day.

lazygecko

My only issue right now is the new scrolling combat text. It's so terrible compared to how it was pre-patch, no clue why Blizz felt the need to change it.

How does it work now? Is it like those addons where it always appears in a fixed spot or something?

The whole way combat text worked has been in a dire need of a revamp for a long time now I think, since the pace of the combat has gotten so exponentially fast that things just turn into an indecipherable cacophony of numbers and text. I did my best to try and regulate things by selectively filtering what I wanted displayed with addons, like disabling auto attack damage numbers.

Wavebossa

This is very much where I'm headed to. Back in TBC, planning fights from a healer perspective, figuring out which RANK of each spell to use to stretch your mana out just that little bit further so you're not wasting it with overhealing since it actually mattered, playing with the five second rule to also get the most out of it(as a healer making sure I had max first aid so I could heal myself without using mana so I can regen faster), all of these techniques were pretty much extinguished after that expansion. There are still some healers that are complex, but I find myself needing to switch classes more often to get it(monk first introduced and being a melee healer, while making use out of both melee abilities and normal healer abilities to get the most out of the healer).

With Legion, it seems that Discipline priests fill that role now, so I can't wait to see if it's as fun as it could be. Still though, the game's direction it's been moving in usually haven't been positive(not sure still if removing the idea of buffs like Fort or Blessings is an overall positive to the game as a whole).

Agreed. Healing ranks mattered heavily in every raid content back in tbc.

But honestly, healing was at its apex in Cata.
I'm not sure they will ever get it that "right" again

But i hold out hope because its still very early.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
"Enemies on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulty now deal roughly 30% less damage"

Glad I don't play any more. Probably to help people get it all done before the xpac launches.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think it's "/console actioncam on"

close

/console actioncam default
/console actioncam full
/console actioncam basic
/console actioncam off

word of caution, head bob on full is brutal :p

logged in on my demo lock.. kind of dismayed.. I mean I've played him for this entire expansion.. and basically I logged in last night and I started a new boosted class. I don't hate it..... but... I mean, why wouldn't I just do exactly that? Start a new boosted class? Which is what I'm contemplating. Either Outlaw or Survivalist.

edit - on the topic of demo lock.. icy veins "says" that you can't play him without weakauras now.. I originally balked, but now I am not so sure..

Doom
Demon empowerment
Dreadstalkers
HoG
tier 7 talent

all with no real order in their CDs..

Fjordson

How does it work now? Is it like those addons where it always appears in a fixed spot or something?

The whole way combat text worked has been in a dire need of a revamp for a long time now I think, since the pace of the combat has gotten so exponentially fast that things just turn into an indecipherable cacophony of numbers and text. I did my best to try and regulate things by selectively filtering what I wanted displayed with addons, like disabling auto attack damage numbers.
It's closer to your character's body and the text is a lot smaller. It's way worse than it was.

It's so bad that I'm wondering if it's bugged or something and a hot fix is on the way. As it is, you can't see any of the damage numbers save for the occasional crit. Just a really bizarre change.

BrokenArrow

Neo Member
As a casual player that just likes to walk around in the world, do some quests and maybe a couple of dungeons here and there, I love this patch. Lots of great QoL changes to the interface (I never got around to installing addons) and combat animation changes made playing this game so much more enjoyable.

FLEABttn

Banned
I really appreciate the ability pruning. 4 abilities and 1-2 cooldowns is really my sweet spot and some class rotations got unwieldy. I actually want to play my frost DK again.

Zackat

Agreed. Healing ranks mattered heavily in every raid content back in tbc.

But honestly, healing was at its apex in Cata.
I'm not sure they will ever get it that "right" again

But i hold out hope because its still very early.
I played shaman at this point in the game. You spammed rank 2 chain heal and that's it. Complete garbage system that made me quit the game for a while. What they are doing now is much better. Stream lining abilities and cutting bloat is something they should have been doing for years.

I'm not personally concerned with DPS classes and how they play. I play healers. And healing is definitely not better now than it used to be. I used to feel much more engaged in the game when I had to make decisions about how best to use my mana. We're nearing "just press this one button and people will live" territory, although we're not quite there yet thankfully.

I just don't know how making it more braindead is considered improvement unless your goal is to expend as little effort as possible and reap the rewards.

I played during the TBC and tried healing for a bit, it was hard but engaging. Managing mana and cooldowns made it interesting. Then I sub for the game in december and well it felt so boring while doing dungeons. People were overgeared, I didn't have mana issues, I could just spam spells and felt like it didn't require a lot of strategy. I could be really inefficient and the game didn't care. Found it boring and quit after I saw most of the content.
I remember the good ol' days of playing a healer in Guild Wars, shit was fun and intense.

Tried healing on Shaman and Monk last night. Not a fan of the Shaman changes so far, also both of them feel super weak at the moment. I could barely keep up with a Timewalking dungeon on both of them. Not sure if I was just doing something wrong but it felt really difficult. Spamming Healing Surge on the tank wasn't enough to keep him alive on regular pulls in some cases, had to pop cooldowns.

close

/console actioncam default
/console actioncam full
/console actioncam basic
/console actioncam off

word of caution, head bob on full is brutal :p

logged in on my demo lock.. kind of dismayed.. I mean I've played him for this entire expansion.. and basically I logged in last night and I started a new boosted class. I don't hate it..... but... I mean, why wouldn't I just do exactly that? Start a new boosted class? Which is what I'm contemplating. Either Outlaw or Survivalist.

Ahh, thanks!

I played during the TBC and tried healing for a bit, it was hard but engaging. Managing mana and cooldowns made it interesting. Then I sub for the game in december and well it felt so boring while doing dungeons. People were overgeared, I didn't have mana issues, I could just spam spells and felt like it didn't require a lot of strategy. I could be really inefficient and the game didn't care. Found it boring and quit after I saw most of the content.
I remember the good ol' days of playing a healer in Guild Wars, shit was fun and intense.

To be fair, if you're playing dungeons now with overgeared people, of course it's going to be a cakewalk.

I'd wait to see how dungeons are at launch in Legion to decide if healing sucks.

Milennia

Its a DPS game for the last 2 expansions (outside of some tank stuff that could be done in mop which made the role interesting for a short while)

Best way i can answer that

Aeana

Its a DPS game for the last 2 expansions (outside of some tank stuff that could be done in mop which made the role interesting for a short while)

Best way i can answer that
Well it's always been a DPS-oriented game, as are most MMOs because interest in healing is generally much lower.

At least with Legion, they seem to be addressing the fact that nobody wanted holy priests in WoD and disc priest was amazing but you only needed one because they didn't stack well.

BearPawB

Banned
Played all 3 lock specs

Demo is more of the same

Affliction is fun, it's nice to have the dots be the damage dealers. and there is still a LOT going on in chaotic fights.

Demon seems fun...but overly complex. Lots of overlapping cooldowns. But i kind of like it?

everyone who feels like they don't have enough buttons should play a warlock

Nearly every one of my characters is down to like ... 4 main buttons and maybe a handful of situational options. Every rotation is super-simplified and gets boring pretty quickly. There's also a ton of fluff spells that are just ... gone. Aspect of the Pack is gone. Aspect of the Cheetah is now a 10 sec buff with a cooldown. Battle Cry and Commanding Shout are short term buffs with minute cooldowns instead of long-term buffs. Mark of the Wild is gone. Melee hunters are fun for ... about an hour or two before you realize your DPS is garbage compared to MM or BM and you constantly get Energy starved since the regen mechanic for the spec is literally "wait for more energy".

But the Transmog system is dope.

This is kind of where I'm at right now. Feels pretty weird having my Arms warrior suddenly be the most complicated rotation by far.

Maybe things will balance out at 110? I'm assuming that's the idea.

Wavebossa

I played shaman at this point in the game. You spammed rank 2 chain heal and that's it. Complete garbage system that made me quit the game for a while. What they are doing now is much better. Stream lining abilities and cutting bloat is something they should have been doing for years.

I played shaman as well at this point. Due to scaling, towards the endgame there became no reason to cast any other spell than varying ranks of CH, but that's not how it was throughout the entire expac.

Regardless, Cata still had the best healing imo.

But we will see how this goes once Legion is actually live.

Milennia

Well it's always been a DPS-oriented game, as are most MMOs because interest in healing is generally much lower.

At least with Legion, they seem to be addressing the fact that nobody wanted holy priests in WoD and disc priest was amazing but you only needed one because they didn't stack well.

there have been multiple instances where healers were interesting, more so than many dps

i would argue that when mana mattered pre mop healing was consistently more interesting, i even played multi spec healers as alts exclusively for our split clears for that very reason, most of the people in the guilds ive been in were the same, was just fun and engaging

holy was good in hfc, we had one of the weirdest healing comps for any early kills because we didnt have access to a geared shaman

so we ran disc, holy, double resto and a paladin on literally every single encounter besides tyrant where we ran double disc and it ended up being better than a shaman

pretty sure we were the first to even do that

the player we had on holy was probably the best at the spec at the time since everyone else in the high end had already moved focus to the shaman disc comps

we ran him on everything even archimonde, disc did every 1st soak and he just acted as a 3rd druid basically

styl3s

I am just here to say Outlaw Rogue is so much fucking fun.
Takes getting used to, but so fun.
re-installing now.

Rogue was always my favorite class in WOW but became dull and pretty useless for a long time. When i came back on the last expansion the guild i have been apart of for 10 years wanted everything but a rogue on their raiding team and it made my incredibly sad so i used my boost on a hunter *gags*

Meia

Strongly disagree. Haven't had as much fun healing as tank healing with 2 or 3 different ranks of Greater Heal on my priest back in TBC. We 3 priest-healed Brutallus tanks with differing levels of Greater Heal to last the entire time(even staggered heals, came up with systems of determining when to go all out(usually on tank switches)). Nothing has even come close to that complexity or fun since.

Gnomist

Interfectum said:
I find more abilities on the actionbar more frustrating than fun.

I think people seem to confuse the idea that having more buttons to press means there is more depth. You can absolutely have a 4 button combat system that is considerably more deep and engaging than a 12 button combat system. I have around 20 something buttons to press for my Dragoon in FFXIV but it's done in such a predictable and uninteresting way that it is incredibly shallow. Meanwhile my Feral Druid might have less than half the buttons to press but provides a much more interesting experience because of how those abilities interact with one another and my resources. I still enjoy both titles for different reasons though.

Nerokis

Alright, WoW is installed.

I came back with a friend after the pre-WoD patch, and a lot of stuff impressed me (the Pandaren starting zone, pet battles, etc.), other stuff conflicted me (some of the simplification was good, some was bad). Most of our time was spent leveling new characters through the Dungeon Finder, it didn't take us long to remember how mind-numbing that can be, and we ended up bouncing again within a couple weeks.

I think this time I'll take it slow, focus on getting immersed in the world. Maybe I'll finally take an Alliance character past level 15.

adversarial

Strongly disagree. Haven't had as much fun healing as tank healing with 2 or 3 different ranks of Greater Heal on my priest back in TBC. We 3 priest-healed Brutallus tanks with differing levels of Greater Heal to last the entire time(even staggered heals, came up with systems of determining when to go all out(usually on tank switches)). Nothing has even come close to that complexity or fun since.

I've always found greater enjoyment from raid mechanic difficulty and execution over something like using different ranks of a heal for mana conservation. I have played since Nov 2004 and I'm usually one of the only people in my conversations who has enjoyed the harder and more mechanically intensive raids that have come out since WOTLK on and didn't much like raiding in Vanilla. I think bosses like Heroic Ragnaros in Firelands are some of the best encounters the game has seen.

Mothman91

I think I was watching a streamer doing dungeons and he said something like as long as I get my badges(currency?). Is there anything viable from doing dungeons now that'll go into Legion leveling/end game?

Milennia

I think I was watching a streamer doing dungeons and he said something like as long as I get my badges(currency?). Is there anything viable from doing dungeons now that'll go into Legion leveling/end game?

Valor allows you to increase end game gear by 10 ilvls

250 per 5 ilvls

mythic dungeons any way (they also give good gear for leveling)

Mothman91

Valor allows you to increase end game gear by 10 ilvls

250 per 5 ilvls

mythic dungeons any way (they also give good gear for leveling)

Can this currency be used in Legion or is this just for WoD still? Still trying to justify a reason to resub right now. Only reason I really like WoW is end game content and if WoD has anything that'll help me get quicker to end game in Legion right now, I'll resub.

Milennia

Can this currency be used in Legion or is this just for WoD still? Still trying to justify a reason to resub right now. Only reason I really like WoW is end game content and if WoD has anything that'll help me get quicker to end game in Legion right now, I'll resub.

just wod

zeorhymer

I main a Mistwalker and wow have they changed. It's no longer the patient channelling class heal style. It's a reactive heal now just like holy priest. Not sure what the point of monk healing now.

"Enemies on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulty now deal roughly 30% less damage"

Glad I don't play any more. Probably to help people get it all done before the xpac launches.

It's mostly to compensate for all the balance/tuning changes, which overall made everyone weaker at 100. Besides serving as a nerf. The actual change in difficulty right now seems to be a mixed bag. The content is effectively over anyway.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

This happens with literally every pre-expansion patch since at least Wrath. Also what Carbonated said.

CHC

I wonder what the returning user spike will be for the pre-patch and eventual expansion launch. WoD patch and launch was huge and introduced significant queues/server issues. But something tells me they've burned through a ton of goodwill after WoD, and the reception for this will be rather muted by comparison.

Legion is the first expansion I'm skipping out on. Things like artifacts and class halls don't really excite me, and as a PvP player, after how Ashran turned out my expectations are extremly low for how the PvP revamp will be handled.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Anecdotally, no one I know has played WoW for years, but I still dutifully buy and play every expansion for a month or so. Typically I enjoy that period but WoD really wore out its welcome faster than ever before, and with everything coming out later this year, I really, really can't justify spending 50 bucks on Legion.

It doesn't help that none of the new features seem aimed at fixing any of the issues I feel have eroded WoW over the years - namely the lack of any sense of community or group enjoyment, and the lack of incentives to make leveling and exploring an integral part of the game experience rather than something to whiz past ASAP.

Acerac

Banned
Go to a bar and make new friends and ask them if they play WoW.

Hahahahaha

Seriously though, neat that they are giving raiders top end pvp gear again. I enjoyed the concept of having top end raiders getting the best gear for all content and I am glad to see it return.

Ele Shaman feels much better now imo. Love the new spell animations and sound effects. <3 Also, Totem Mastery is awesome.

That said I really dislike the removal of Shaman Shields. Feels wrong to not have those iconic orbs floating around me (and the tank). :(

Wellspring is pretty cool as well, but the graphic is underwhelming.

lazygecko

Ele Shaman feels much better now imo. Love the new spell animations and sound effects. <3 Also, Totem Mastery is awesome.

That said I really dislike the removal of Shaman Shields. Feels wrong to not have those iconic orbs floating around me (and the tank). :(

Speaking of shaman and shields, for most of the game's life the fact that shamans can equip off-hand shields has felt like this hollow leftover from the earliest incarnation of the class design (jack of all trades including tanking). They're the only shield-using class which has no active ability to make use of it (the only thing that existed was a passive talent for increasing block chance in Vanilla/TBC). Would have been nice to see some talent or spell actively involving the shield for elemental or restoration specs.

solaaire

Neo Member

amen. unfortunately healing design has changed so much, i can't see things like the FSR and multi-rank abilities ever resurfacing. Advanced mana management mechanics are just a thing of the past, unfortunately.

i like what they're trying to do with Discipline on paper, but from what I've played, it just isn't all that fun. that said, mistweaver monk and holy pally are shaping up quite nicely in Legion, so there's still hope for some healers!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is kind of where I'm at right now. Feels pretty weird having my Arms warrior suddenly be the most complicated rotation by far.

Maybe things will balance out at 110? I'm assuming that's the idea.

I was told to remember that rotations will change once your "core ability" is added from your artifact.. so maybe we need to keep that in mind? (an actual question/thought)

Top Bottom