• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Legion pre-patch

Mupod

friends may be dragging me back in, depends if I have time or not. Definitely not logging in until the actual expansion but I don't even know what I'd play if I did. I used my druid for WoD, tanking was always my role but we were super short on casters and full on tanks so I went moonkin. It was alright if braindead.

The guild my friends are in apparently is super saturated with leather users, but I have a warrior and a DK I could use. Are DKs still the god mode tank or has the balance shifted? I haven't touched my DK since the beginning of WOTLK, I really liked how Frost worked back then but it's changed a hell of a lot.

It's mostly to compensate for all the balance/tuning changes, which overall made everyone weaker at 100. Besides serving as a nerf. The actual change in difficulty right now seems to be a mixed bag. The content is effectively over anyway.

Yeah, the only expansion I played where the pre-patch straight-up easymoded raid content was 3.0, and even that was a somewhat necessary evil in that mana regen was nerfed so hard that you kind of had to have bosses designed around constant heal spam die in less than half the time to not wipe due to healers running oom. Usually it winds up being about the same or slightly harder because of shit they remove that content is tuned around you still having (big DR cooldowns being cut/nerfed sounds like it's an issue this time around) and post-patch classes being balanced around abilities they can't get until the expansion actually launches.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Some of the gear I have in void storage doesn't appear in my new transmog wardrobe thing. Anyone else seeing this?

there are some complicated rules for a very limited amount of gear. I don't know where it's talked about, but basically not all appearances exist in the game for all races/classes.

Posted by Ornyx
Yes, that would be correct. There are various restrictions, and it generally falls along the lines of:

You must be able to equip the armor
It must be of your primary armor type
It must be able to be obtained and equipped by your class

So, using your example, a Rogue would not unlock cloth gear they loot, as cloth is not their primary armor type.

A Mage would not unlock account-wide styles for any looted Warlock-specific armor, even though they both primarily wear cloth, as the Mage cannot equip Warlock-specific armor.

Now obviously you stated void storage (so it's bound to you), so I guess I'd say, do you have an example of something that isn't showing up? The biggest gotcha I'd say would be a lot of holiday cosmetic items are Cloth armor, prior to the Cosmetic type existing. So if you are not a cloth wearer you are effectively locked out of those. Otherwise look in your collection screen and see if you can find the appearance in there. If it's in there and listed on the equipment in your void storage, file a ticket. If it's not in your collection screen, then for whatever reason that appearance isn't available for your class/race combo.

edit - there I believe was a bug in alpha/beta for leather/mail for mail/plate wearers.. So if it's a mail item and you are a plate wearer.. I don't know what to tell you.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Some of the gear I have in void storage doesn't appear in my new transmog wardrobe thing. Anyone else seeing this?

When you inevitably empty out void storage into your normal inventory to vendor the items (like I am planning to do), hopefully that will fix it.

Sweetooth

Neo Member
I'm loving how the Paladin feels to play, the combat animations are much improved, the spell effects look much better, and the new sound effects are great. I'm really, really excited for what Legion has to offer.

Speaking to PC performance, I recommend two things in particular:

Keep draw distance at 7 or below.
Keep water quality to high or lower.

Those two settings in particular proved to be a massive framerate sink for me. My rig: i7-3770k (overclocked to 4.5ghz), 980ti, playing at 1440p resolution.

Fjordson

Its gonna kill my medium settings to low crap settings right guys, right? =(
It's actually not too bad, at least for me. Blizz added some higher end options, so just have to make sure it doesn't enable any of those when you log in. Like my framerate was in the tank, but it's because the game automatically jacked up the view distance to the new max (which is much higher than the previous max).

Once I got my settings back to where they were before the patch my performance went back to normal.

Maybe it's time for me to jump back in and see how rogue plays. I can't actually remember when I went inactive...a year ago I think? Maybe I'll find my old guildmates still playing.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I'm not personally concerned with DPS classes and how they play. I play healers. And healing is definitely not better now than it used to be. I used to feel much more engaged in the game when I had to make decisions about how best to use my mana. We're nearing "just press this one button and people will live" territory, although we're not quite there yet thankfully.

I just don't know how making it more braindead is considered improvement unless your goal is to expend as little effort as possible and reap the rewards.

Played a healer druid last patch. Completely agree with it being mindless button pushing.

Plus Blizz has pretty much purged most of what made the different classes unique for a more safer and sterile experience. The numbers don't lie about what dumbing your game down to cater to the masses does.

Sweetooth

Neo Member
Plus Blizz has pretty much purged most of what made the different classes unique for a more safer and sterile experience. The numbers don't lie about what dumbing your game down to cater to the masses does.

That's an entirely facile argument. Why would a game developer cater to anything besides the majority of the audience base? It's not their fault 10m+ people decided to play the game.

I'm not a hardcore player by any means, but from what I can tell WoD's main issue has been a lack of content. There hasn't been enough to do since the last major content patch. I'm not entirely sure about PVP since I don't participate in it, but I know a lot of people who do and they seem to be enjoying it. Blizzardis planning to mitigate the content issue by relying more on patches rather than full-blown expansions, which is exactly the direction they need to go.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Retribution is boring as at shit now. Three abilities to use that don't require holy power and they each have quite long cooldowns for int having three. If and when I do hve holy power to spend it's gone in an instant with just one ability use.

Think I'll be rolling up a true DPS class alongside druid, what seem to have come out of this patch looking great.

Ability prune doesn't really matter to rogue you were hitting 2 CDs and 3 main abilities 95% of the time anyway. What does concern me is the damage distribution.

WM9o8VQ.jpg

Now granted this is 5 minutes of guessing at a decent rotation on a dummy rogue with the assumption that combat outlaw rogue wouldn't play from range. But I really don't like where white damage sits on that meter. Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I always assumed that if you wanted your finishers to be most of your dps you played assassination or subtlety, while combat outlaw was in charge of cleave and steady burndown of the primary with autoattack procs, high energy regain. I've lost the autoattack synergy and gained the ability to...what, run out 20 yards and still use 5cp for...? I I don't get it.

Voidguts

does anyone actually play using the action camera? it looks awesome in videos. i know you can access it via console, but i'm hoping it'll just be an option in legion.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Anvilmar seems dead.. Cant find an active guild ... Bahhhh. I do love the PvP balance. Gj blizzard. By Jesus locks are op again.

borghe

Anvilmar seems dead.. Cant find an active guild ... Bahhhh. I do love the PvP balance. Gj blizzard. By Jesus locks are op again.

most servers are dead these days. I know people want to hate it, but cross realm gameplay is really the only way to play today unless you want to transfer to a medium-high pop server, which there are only a few left anyway. My old guild had a number of players from other realms as active raiders.

edit - I should clarify.. most servers are dead, because prior to all of the cross-realm functionality added, a lot of us embarked on mass exoduses from servers due to economy. instead of blizz merging servers to whittle down their numbers to something more reasonable, they simply introduced the current forms of cross realm gameplay. clearly at this point, blizzard is not merging servers. so if you really want an active server, you have to transfer. or just participate in cross realm gameplay.

Those Demonology lock changes sound very interesting. I told myself I wouldn't play this expansion, but I'm very curious at the very least...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ability prune doesn't really matter to rogue you were hitting 2 CDs and 3 main abilities 95% of the time anyway. What does concern me is the damage distribution.

WM9o8VQ.jpg

Now granted this is 5 minutes of guessing at a decent rotation on a dummy rogue with the assumption that combat outlaw rogue wouldn't play from range. But I really don't like where white damage sits on that meter. Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I always assumed that if you wanted your finishers to be most of your dps you played assassination or subtlety, while combat outlaw was in charge of cleave and steady burndown of the primary with autoattack procs, high energy regain. I've lost the autoattack synergy and gained the ability to...what, run out 20 yards and still use 5cp for...? I I don't get it.

It does kind of sound like you are just clinging to an arbitrary dynamic (non-finishers being more overall damage than finishers). With how fast Outlaw can build and spend combo points thanks to saber slash procs and some of the RtB buffs, it makes sense that Run Through would be a large portion of your damage. You're going to be doing it very often.

levelling a lower level character right now and had some gear from dungeons drop that I didn't have the transmog of

equipped it to get it, checked AH later, 8000 g. for greens.

just shit all over me.

After a handful of dungeons as both Resto and Mistweaver, i'm really enjoying new Mistweaver, but I just couldn't get into new Resto. This might change with artifacts, but based on what i've seen i'll probably main Monk instead of Shaman in Legion. Or maybe i'll shift my Shaman over to being a Ele.

The thing I noticed about new Monk healing is that (based off the timewalking dungeons with mediocre gear) I must be very careful about locking myself out for a gcd. The main problem was I'd go to cleanse the tank and in that time he'd take enough damage that it'd be very hard for me to make up that defect and keep him alive, i'd normally need to blow a cooldown. That may just be a product of my mediocre gear though. The new healing stream is a bit weird to get used to at first.

WM9o8VQ.jpg

White damage has always been super high on Combat and Outlaw is still 90% combat.

Also one thing that will add onto that is the different buffs from Roll the Bones (unless you took SnD) which unless you get some lucky rolls is completely RNG based and the main thing I don't like about Outlaw right now.

Mupod

most servers are dead these days. I know people want to hate it, but cross realm gameplay is really the only way to play today unless you want to transfer to a medium-high pop server, which there are only a few left anyway. My old guild had a number of players from other realms as active raiders.

edit - I should clarify.. most servers are dead, because prior to all of the cross-realm functionality added, a lot of us embarked on mass exoduses from servers due to economy. instead of blizz merging servers to whittle down their numbers to something more reasonable, they simply introduced the current forms of cross realm gameplay. clearly at this point, blizzard is not merging servers. so if you really want an active server, you have to transfer. or just participate in cross realm gameplay.

as much as I hated all cross-server stuff from day 1, and I mean battleground battlegroups day 1, it's a necessity for an aging mmo. But now people are so used to it that it's a standard in MMOs these days to hit the queue button and get thrown into dungeons with random people you'll never see again. Just feels like missing the point to me.

anyways, kinda feeling like coming back and reviving my DK now the more I think about it. But my friends seem convinced it'll be 'different this time'. What line is Blizzard feeding people now? I'm sure everyone will turn on them the same way they did for the last few expansions. I actually played WoD way longer than I expected, but I fell into 'literally only log in for raids' mode pretty fast there.

Boring update. Legion, too, isn't good either. Fixes none of the problems with difficulty, community, and the continuous dumbing down of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the second to last expansion because Blizzard needs to pull as much cash from this quickly sinking ship.

RIP in Piece, WoW, you were once cool and now you're old and awful.

En-ou

friends may be dragging me back in, depends if I have time or not. Definitely not logging in until the actual expansion but I don't even know what I'd play if I did. I used my druid for WoD, tanking was always my role but we were super short on casters and full on tanks so I went moonkin. It was alright if braindead.

The guild my friends are in apparently is super saturated with leather users, but I have a warrior and a DK I could use. Are DKs still the god mode tank or has the balance shifted? I haven't touched my DK since the beginning of WOTLK, I really liked how Frost worked back then but it's changed a hell of a lot.
You get a free 100 char if you preorder so if you intend to play preorder!

ebil

I'm so tempted to re-sub to try out the classes I used to play.

After a handful of dungeons as both Resto and Mistweaver, i'm really enjoying new Mistweaver, but I just couldn't get into new Resto. This might change with artifacts, but based on what i've seen i'll probably main Monk instead of Shaman in Legion. Or maybe i'll shift my Shaman over to being a Ele.

The thing I noticed about new Monk healing is that (based off the timewalking dungeons with mediocre gear) I must be very careful about locking myself out for a gcd. The main problem was I'd go to cleanse the tank and in that time he'd take enough damage that it'd be very hard for me to make up that defect and keep him alive, i'd normally need to blow a cooldown. That may just be a product of my mediocre gear though. The new healing stream is a bit weird to get used to at first.
How does Mistweaver play now compared to before the patch? This was the class that I mained last time I subbed and from the look of it they changed it significantly?

You get a free 100 char if you preorder so if you intend to play preorder!

It's not just pre-orders. Simply buying the expansion at any point will get you. The character boost.

Boring update. Legion, too, isn't good either. Fixes none of the problems with difficulty, community, and the continuous dumbing down of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the second to last expansion because Blizzard needs to pull as much cash from this quickly sinking ship.

Because you've played beta and have a firm grasp on what Legion brings to the table? I don't think you'd be saying that if you had. Legion is certainly shaping up to be a lot better than WoD was. Sure there are problems still, not going to deny that, but there've been major improvements as well.

Don't overblow your opinion. Always excessive doom and gloom about WoW on gaming side.

Hupsel

LOVE the new patch. Thank god there are less abilities now and they feel way more unique and fun to use. Im playing my beloved rogue again and loving it. Outlaw is really unique and weird with the new "Roll the bones" spell - reminds me of the Hearthstone RNG... in a good way I guess. I also like Assassination. Funny enough, I could never get into Subtlety and this patch isn´t changing my mind so far.

How does Mistweaver play now compared to before the patch? This was the class that I mained last time I subbed and from the look of it they changed it significantly?

It's fairly significant. Chi is gone, you're purely mana now. You don't control your healing stream (forget what the old spell name was) and instead certain heals will cast that on the target after it's done casting, and it'll continue to cast on them until you take another action. You have more AoE healing options, this made it feel a lot easier to heal 5mans when a lot of people were taking damage. I used to really struggle with that. Vivify is a big heal which also heals two other injured people, and Essence Font is a channeled ability where a bunch of little bolts shoot out of you and heal a bunch of people -- but less flat out healing than Vivify so this seems good if everyone is taking damage.

I enjoyed the new healing style, but it's definitely different.

Is there a channel or website that gives a good rundown of each class/spec description?

Like "holy pallies are going to play like this and this is their rotation"?

I know I was to play a melee dos class but I just don't know what

Played a healer druid last patch. Completely agree with it being mindless button pushing.

Correlation != causation

The bigger issue was stripping out community features and promoting the solo queue culture.

Is there a channel or website that gives a good rundown of each class/spec description?

Like "holy pallies are going to play like this and this is their rotation"?

I know I was to play a melee dos class but I just don't know what

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19941175/legion-class-preview-series-overview-11-8-2015

That might be your best bet. Blizzard went through each class and gave a description of how they want them to play and the changes they're making. It's a bit older though so I don't know how the final product turned out vs their goals.

Edit: Glaurung's link might be better

adversarial

What line is Blizzard feeding people now?

Most of the detractors I see on sites like Reddit / MMO-Champ are from people who haven't even stepped foot in the Beta and were just spreading negativity based on what was on paper - New class changes coupled with the Artifact Trees, separate PVP talent tree, World Quests, new raids and world bosses are all steps in the right direction, imo. Pruning was essential for some classes, but there is this prevailing opinion that "more buttons = more fun" and I never understood this mindset. Classes like Arcane Mage in WOD literally had 3 or 4 main damaging abilities but was one of the hardest and most rewarding specs to master this game has seen.

I'm looking at this from a raiders perspective, though. Stoked for Legion.

ebil

It's fairly significant. Chi is gone, you're purely mana now. You don't control your healing stream (forget what the old spell name was) and instead certain heals will cast that on the target after it's done casting, and it'll continue to cast on them until you take another action. You have more AoE healing options, this made it feel a lot easier to heal 5mans when a lot of people were taking damage. I used to really struggle with that. Vivify is a big heal which also heals two other injured people, and Essence Font is a channeled ability where a bunch of little bolts shoot out of you and heal a bunch of people -- but less flat out healing than Vivify so this seems good if everyone is taking damage.

Wow yeah, that sounds very different. From what I've read in the patch notes they've also changed the way Renewing Mists works, which was my main gripe about the class. More AoE healing sure is a nice improvement.

I'll probably try it out in a few days, thanks for the impressions. :)

Took them long enough to implement Diablo III's transmog system.

Pre-ordered Legion and started my sub back up. Hope I don't end up regretting this.

glaurung

I was super hyped for Legion back when it was announced. But I spent time with the beta last month and yesterday I hopped on to see the new patch.

But... None of my fold friends were on. And it did not sound like they would return for Legion either. So just to cut my teeth, I rolled a new hunter and played for a few levels. And the boredom set in mighty quickly. The only way I will level a new toon up all the way is by watching some series on the side.

Aeana

Wow, that sounds massively different. The reason I quit my mistweaver was because I hated the constant game of "make sure renewing mist is up on as many targets as possible so that uplift works or you're not going to be able to handle the big damage when it comes" It just felt like constant busywork.

Wow, that sounds massively different. The reason I quit my mistweaver was because I hated the constant game of "make sure renewing mist is up on as many targets as possible so that uplift works." It just felt like constant busywork.

Yup you definitely don't have to worry about that anymore. Your heals have a lot less prep, if people are taking damage suddenly you can deal with it right then. Uplift is totally gone. Your aoe "oh shit!" heal is Revival which heals for a big amount and cleanses everything from the entire party instantly, but it's on a cooldown. Vivify and Essence Font make it so much easier to deal with more than one person getting hurt, and you still have your hot Renewing Mist to get people back up who aren't taking much damage. New Mistweaver doesn't feel like i'm getting punished for not anticipating damage minutes in advanced. I can react to situations much quicker, but that also means it lost a bit of it's very unique feel. I personally think that the pros of that make up for the cons, but not everyone may feel that way.

borghe

rose colored glasses. "cool" was merely a product of the time. Vanilla WoW in today's world would be obtuse, unwieldy, cumbersome and frustrating. Oops look at that, I didn't list any positives.. hmm.. why is that? Oh wait, because outside of community there WERE no positives to any of that stuff.

As for the community, the lack of community is in fact a product OF the community. Community wanted dungeon finder, they got dungeon finder. Community wanted raid finder, they got raid finder. Community wanted to be able to hang out with their real life friends from other servers, they got cross realm gameplay. The problem is that all of these quality of life additions by their very nature were destined to erode the individual realm community. The community can't ask for easier ways to bypass the community and then lament that the community is being bypassed, but that's exactly what happened.

Interfectum

Played more with the Frost DK last night. I can't believe how much better he feels to play. The hits have impact. I can't wait to level with this dude.

lol WoW is going to be around for a long, long time. A lot of these changes are to ensure it has a future. We haven't even seen what will happen when if finally goes F2P. Don't let your blind bias hurt common sense.

Aeana

Yup you definitely don't have to worry about that anymore. Your heals have a lot less prep, if people are taking damage suddenly you can deal with it right then. Uplift is totally gone. Your aoe "oh shit!" heal is Revival which heals for a big amount and cleanses everything from the entire party instantly, but it's on a cooldown. Vivify and Essence Font make it so much easier to deal with more than one person getting hurt, and you still have your hot Renewing Mist to get people back up who aren't taking much damage. New Mistweaver doesn't feel like i'm getting punished for not anticipating damage minutes in advanced. I can react to situations much quicker, but that also means it lost a bit of it's very unique feel. I personally think that the pros of that make up for the cons, but not everyone may feel that way.

Sounds good. Now I'm going to have a hard time picking between mistweaver monk and holy priest. Maybe I'll get some time to try them out before Legion launches.

ZenaxPure

Essence Font is a channeled ability where a bunch of little bolts shoot out of you and heal a bunch of people -- but less flat out healing than Vivify so this seems good if everyone is taking damage.

It's also worth mentioning the new mastery, gust of mists. It causes your effuse (your cheap spammable single target heal), renewing mist, enveloping mist, and vivify to proc an extra heal on your target. This plays into essence font because EF puts a 6 second HoT on your targets as well. The HoT doesn't heal for much but it also causes your gust of mists to proc twice.

It's not something you constantly spam because EF eats a lot of mana, but what it does do is give you a cheaper AOE heal option if only 2-3 people need healing. You can EF to heal up your entire party and then just use vivify to heal the leftovers that weren't topped off by EF. You will get the vivify heal and then 2 hits of your mastery thanks to the EF HoT.

adversarial

It's also worth mentioning the new mastery, gust of mists. It causes your effuse (your cheap spammable single target heal), renewing mist, enveloping mist, and vivify to proc an extra heal on your target. This plays into essence font because EF puts a 6 second HoT on your targets as well. The HoT doesn't heal for much but it also causes your gust of mists to proc twice.

It's not something you constantly spam because EF eats a lot of mana, but what it does do is give you a cheaper AOE heal option if only 2-3 people need healing. You can EF to heal up your entire party and then just use vivify to heal the leftovers that weren't topped off by EF. You will get the vivify heal and then 2 hits of your mastery thanks to the EF HoT.

Our MW was bummed at the new changes when she immediately logged into beta, but then leveled to Beta and now loves it. I'm thinking that will be the case for a lot of people averse to change that will eventually get used to it.

Ah, yeah! Completely forgot about that. That's a big part of Monk healing now.

I think what makes me excited for Monk is that unlike some other classes it feels good even without the Artifact. Hopefully that just means it'll be fantastic once you have the Artifact which is integral to the class.

ZenaxPure

Our MW was bummed at the new changes when she immediately logged into beta, but then leveled to Beta and now loves it. I'm thinking that will be the case for a lot of people averse to change that will eventually get used to it.

In the case of mistweaver I actually hated the spec before now. I don't like combo points when healing because to me healing should be strictly about picking the right heal at the right time instead of juggling resources, it's just not fun at all. Mistweaver is probably my favorite healer now though, has been druid since like Wrath but they made a number of changes I don't like to resto in Legion so it's fallen pretty far down my fun list.

I think what makes me excited for Monk is that unlike some other classes it feels good even without the Artifact. Hopefully that just means it'll be fantastic once you have the Artifact which is integral to the class.

I found the artifact ability really cool on beta. Basically during combat you will poop out little clouds that sit around (forever? semed that way) and then when you use your artifact ability it sucks in all the clouds and heals your target (healing more for each cloud obviously). You can use it as a cheap strong heal if you want but you can also let a bunch build up and then use it as a clutch powerful heal if you need it. Like I was messing around in the proving grounds and I had like 17 or 18 clouds out and used it to heal the tank for like 2 million HP or something crazy.

Certainly a bit overkill since he only had like 600, but my point is mostly it's a pretty versatile ability that I like using.

Apathy

Retribution is boring as at shit now. Three abilities to use that don't require holy power and they each have quite long cooldowns for int having three. If and when I do hve holy power to spend it's gone in an instant with just one ability use.

Think I'll be rolling up a true DPS class alongside druid, what seem to have come out of this patch looking great.

We're all also missing usable abilities from our artifact weapon that goes into the rotation. That might also be why it feels lacking

ebil

Ah, yeah! Completely forgot about that. That's a big part of Monk healing now.

You guys make me really excited about new Mistweaver! On the one hand, it feels like it lost a bit of its uniqueness in terms of healing mechanics, but on the other hand it sounds less cumbersome than it was. Like Aeana, I wasn't a big fan of having to keep Renewing Mists on as many targets as possible for Uplift so I'm happy this particular mechanic is gone.

Top Bottom