• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's my guess.

Doesn't seem too good for GoW, wonder how it did digitally.
I don't think there are many people out there who were excited to play God of War 3 again.

GoW1 and GoW2 were seen as defining games of the PS2 era. GoW3 was seen as a nice looking PS3 game.

Wynnebeck

Banned
While we wait, I'll throw in a X1 chart with some data for us to discuss...

OMW5GW8.jpg

X1 January-July 2014: ~1,230k
X1 January-July 2015 ~1,457k

YOY rise: ~18.5%

Xbox One has been up every month this year in sales over the last except for March.

Boom! You scrubs thought MS was playing about the whole pre-season and Playoffs thing huh? Xbone is taking the lead over PS4 this Xmas.

Worship

Banned
I wish I could make a top 10 list... and magically have most poeple buy those games instead of the crap on all these top 10 lists. So many games that need to be played that people arent playing.

I don't think there are many people out there who were excited to play God of War 3 again.

GoW1 and GoW2 were seen as defining games of the PS2 era. GoW3 was seen as a nice looking PS3 game.

It was also one of the worst remasters when it came to value .
Way to expensive and not enough content .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It looks like Splatoon is falling behind in the US compared to Japan.
Maybe this month will be better due to the update, but Japan also has the big numbers from holidays.
There's effectively vastly more competition in the West in terms of popular shooters.

Nah, the last God of War had both high sales (5M) and MC.

Now, Ascension...

kswiston

Imru’ al-Qays;175361649 said:
Maybe it's because the game didn't have much competition when it came out, so its sales were extremely frontloaded.

This happens to almost every AAA game that isn't GTA or Call of Duty tier.

Most console games on PS4/XB1 are very much Flavor of the Month.

carlsojo

Damn God of War 3 completely bombed. I can't say I'm surprised though, I forgot it even released last month.

Yeah there wasn't a whole lot of marketing and IMO it wasn't really a whole lot of value to buy day one. GoW3 is a great game but it's kind of silly it wasn't packaged any or all of the half dozen other GoW games.

StevieP

Banned
Handhelds are hurting because of smartphones grabbing casual users.

Consoles are doing better than last generation, except the casual console, the Wii, which lost its entire userbase to smartphones, which is effectively gone now. The change is that there are almost no truly casual console buyers. There are no moms or grandparents or teenage girls buying consoles for wii sports. That's really the only difference this gen.

Smartphones are not a replacement for or competition to a game console. Saying that console are losing to smartphones just means people are losing interest in consoles, which is possible, but not what the numbers are indicating, since PS4/XB1 are selling better than PS3/360.

The ps2 was the casual console of the 6th gen. It was the growth driver. Let that sink in for a moment

Elios83

Nice gow3r will soon be either 20$ or given away on Plus. Too little value, high price.
They should have gone with both 3 and Ascension in the same package at 40$ and with some little extra compared to just a resolution and frame rate bump.

Imru’ al-Qays;175361649 said:
Now that's interesting. Can't believe it has anything to do with the patches. Wonder what this is all about.

Maybe it's because the game didn't have much competition when it came out, so its sales were extremely frontloaded.

No idea, it seems to be slowing down significantly on Steam as well. For July it sold ~30-35k units.

Rocket League has already surpassed it in owners on Steam.

Nice gow3r will soon be either 20$ or given away on Plus.

It was destined to be straight to IGC

Anyone would have the LTD for God of War III and God of War Ascension to give an idea of the drop ?

Kratos is really not on a roll since Ascension. Maybe the PS4 will rejuvenate the franchise but the indifference towards the remaster says something.

Cripshay

Banned
Grimløck;175361523 said:
lol gow3r bomba
It's s remaster. When all is said and done, it will be over 100k (retail and digital). Sold for $40, made by 2 people. Believe me, that's not bomba at all. It's some nice $$$!

cuz that would've worked so well

$_35.JPG

Because that's extremely similar. 4 games with different engines and multiple engines running at once all with extreme online issues rushed out the door, vs all single player games. Are you expecting the UC collection to be a similar clusterfuck?

Toki767

It's s remaster. When all is said and done, it will be over 100k (retail and digital). Sold for $40, made by 2 people. Believe me, that's not bomba at all. It's some nice $$$!

I also doubt they put much work in it. It's just extra sales at this point.

orfax

its honestly the biggest gaming franchise in the world in my opinion
I just want to comment on this. I think the general consensus is that Minecraft is around 70 million. I think it's a little higher, about 80 million which I have mentioned before, but I have no figures to back me up. From a purely game sale units perspective this puts it at around Gran Turismo levels, and just below Assassins Creed.

While Minecraft is certainly huge, as a series there are other much larger franchises, like GTA at 220 million or Pokemon at 240 million. Even Mario Kart is at 100 million. This does not include any of the following which I don't have figures for: Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden or any of the MOBA/MMO games.

From an individual game (ie not series) it's definitely up there with the biggest in terms of units. I think the only bigger ones are Wii Sports (which was bundled with the console) and I think a mobile Tetris (which EA announced at over 100 million). Again I don't have figures for things like League of Legends and mobile games. In terms of dollars it will drop down further as games like GTA5 and Halo 3 & 4, various CODs will have brought in more money (and cost more to make as well) despite selling less units.

Minecraft is a phenomenon. It's one of the biggest games, but it's still not the biggest.

Top Bottom