• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24 Questions Black People Have For White People

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not deflection, it's the fact that unless you're confronted with the life/experience of groups less fortunate than you, your privilege just seems to be the default setting in life.

If you don't experience racial profiling, police harassment, institutionalised racism, being the minority presence in groups of people etc, you won't give much though about the fact you don't.
That is because, honestly, said privilege describes what should be the default for every person if everyone were given the same benefit of the doubt and fair treatment (in the sense that they are not given worse treatment merely due to the group they belong to).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm enjoying the people in this thread who think that people who've been exposed to stereotypes and generalizing their whole lives wouldn't recognize or understand what it means when they generalize others.

I still feel like you're putting me in that group though. I don't control the media....or the economy. Your word choice makes it sound like ALL white people are keeping black people down when I think you know that's BS. And the alternative to that "kumbiya " view you speak of is exactly what you're fighting against. You can have it one way or another. The world takes a while to change when it comes to social standards. The U.S. Is still a very young civilization my friend. You bet your ass we have some growing to do, but it'll take people like me AND you to change that eventually. I think a good portion of people in general are becoming more educated on black oppression and that's where the change should start.

No, my word choice alludes that anyone who is on the opposite side are "that group" if you feel you are part of that group, so be it, if you feel that you're not then you're not.

Fighting against the kumbiya? I don't believe in Utopian fantasies involving us not seeing people as colors but as humans, and holding hands singing "paint with all the colors of the wind". Race relations will get better (quicker if people stop being scared to talk about it.) but this utopian vision so many people love to sell isn't real.

Ragnaros

Banned
That video was supposed to be worthwhile how? There's no new thought in there. Just Buzzfeed doing what they do and regurgitating other people's thought.

They've grown to the point where they need to output a slew of videos and and articles on a daily basis for advertising purposes. No better way to drive hits than a race video. There's some valid points in here but its all so judgmental. Some of the questions (movie deaths) are supposed to be humorous too which is a stark contrast with the tone of some of the other questions (n word, privilege)

injurai

Banned
Well, there is no "line of questioning" here that needs to be either obliged or resisted. A line of questioning would be a series of questions ordered in a manner designed to develop a particular argument by eliciting specific answers that lead a person to a particular conclusion. These questions are just a grab bag of questions, some of which are quite clearly rhetorical and are designed to make a point in their being asked and do not invite or require an answer.

I don't think that I have the moral high ground by choosing not to answer, and I don't think that someone is dumb or a bad person for having chosen to answer them. I do think it was the wrong response, though.

You really have no argument for your stance. My use of "line of questioning" verse "grab bag of questions" is pretty irrelevant. I was referring to an array of questions of a similar theme. The point isn't that the questions need to be obliged or resisted either. It's that the people are answering as if they had chosen to answer a question that was racially tone deaf. They aren't answering to the video, they are answering to the hypothetical as if the question was asked outside of the intentional rhetoricals of this video.

So nothing is morally compromised by answering, nothing is dumb or indicative of being a bad person for answering. So I'm still wondering why it's the wrong response?

stufte

I'm still operating under the idea that we didn't arrive to the same conclusions. Not that we don't agree to a certain point, of course. I started watching it thinking that it might be questions I would be interested in answering. I realized that it wasn't questions that had much personal relevance to me. You presumably also started with the same thoughts, and answered the questions as they arose. You presumably also realized that they didn't have much personal relevance to you. So, I think we're agreed up till that point, yes? But I think that we came to a different conclusion in that I thought that responding to the questions (if they didn't describe attitudes or behaviors that reflected your attitudes or behaviors, or at the very least attitudes and behaviors that you'd be interested in exploring as phenomena even if you don't hold them yourself) was actively counterproductive, and you thought it was going to be interesting or thought-provoking.

The video is clearly set up to make me say at the very end "Well no, I'm not the spokesperson for the white race and I shouldn't treat individual black people in the same manner." The questions were only there to drive home that point, and even though they were the setup to the larger point of the video, I still found it interesting to treat the video like they were asking *me personally* those questions. Which is why I posted the entirety of my answers, including the last 3 which reveal the point of the video.

The problem with Elba being Bond isn't his skin colour, it's that he just doesn't have the class to pull it off. He's too similar to Craig, a blunt weapon. Too much of a "Geezer" (just watch is awful Sky boxset commercials) Having the same style again would be off putting.
Need to go back to high class Bond.

Chiwetel Ejiofor? Yes!
David Oyelowo? Yes!
Idris Elba? Nah.

The only reason Elba wouldn't work as Bond is because he's already in his 40s and would be near 50 at the youngest by the time they got around to a Craigless movie. Elba is classy as fuck.

I'm Asian. People of all "races" say weird shit to me on the regular. Black people, Hispanic people, white people etc. I have as much authority on the experience of interacting with ignorant people as any of you. Including the people who quoted me directly.

If I were to make a similar video with more or less similar content, it would be addressed to classless, ignorant, fuckshits of all stripes. Making a video like this and addressing "Dear White People" is as fucking ridiculous and ignorant as what they're rallying against.

And all you gunpowder/paper/compass using, noodle and kung fu liking mother fuckers need to stop appropriating my culture. "Appropriating my culture?" Choke on a bag of fucking dicks, you fucking imbeciles. You don't own the exclusive copy rights to "your" fucking culture. People have a right to choose their own identity. The idea that cultural exchange makes societies stronger is one of the central fucking pillars of our country.

lightus

How is that a white thing???

How is loving fried chicken a stereotypical black thing? Everyone loves fried chicken!

stereotypes are weird man.

You guys don't get this.

One lion.

Vs.

[A rising four-digit number every year] human beings of African descent.

I think the lion thing is a poor argument in general. I understand the intent, but really you can apply it to anything.

For example, a few weeks back I went to a southern baptist church with my dad. The preacher said America has a problem. Know what the problem was? We were all talking about this lion dying instead of real issues! These issues included how we were letting the gays marry and supporting the slaughter of unborn children.

Pointing out that something else is a popular topic doesn't really address the argument. I feel it just sort of confuses the issue overall. Sorry I'm kind of carrying on about the lion thing, I've just seen it a few times applied to multiple arguments over the past week.

Elba is much classier than Craig. But as others have said he's way too old to be Bond now T_T.

Lee Byung Hun would make a good Bond unfortunately his British accent is nonexistent.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
No, my word choice alludes that anyone who is on the opposite side are "that group" if you feel you are part of that group, so be it, if you feel that you're not then you're not.

Fighting against the kumbiya? I don't believe in Utopian fantasies involving us not seeing people as colors but as humans, and holding hands singing "paint with all the colors of the wind". Race relations will get better (quicker if people stop being scared to talk about it.) but this utopian vision so many people love to sell isn't real.

Alright man I get where you're coming from. I never said that society would ever be perfect if you count "paint with all colors of the wind" perfect (LOL by the way). I don't believe in fantasies either. I was trying to imply exactly what you saying. I don't expect racism to be completely purged from the world or anything. There are shitty people everywhere just as there are good people everywhere. (Albeit the ratio for said people seems way off in the U.S. Media and politics). That's the way it will always be I suppose. I like to believe we can change tho. If you don't, then you can have fun being oppressed for the rest of your life with that cynical outlook. I get it, the world is a shitty place sometimes. That goes for more than just black people. But positivity about issues like this are what keep me from becoming a cynical ass hole about the earth as a whole. If you want to change my mind and take that away from me, and call my positivity "fantasies", that's just a shitty thing to do....even for someone on a forum.

I'm Asian. People of all "races" say weird shit to me on the regular. Black people, Hispanic people, white people etc. I have as much authority on the experience of interacting with ignorant people as any of you. Including the people who quoted me directly.

If I were to make a similar video with more or less similar content, it would be addressed to classless, ignorant, fuckshits of all stripes. Making a video like this and addressing "Dear White People" is as fucking ridiculous and ignorant as what they're rallying against.

And all you gunpowder/paper/compass using, noodle and kung fu liking mother fuckers need to stop appropriating my culture. "Appropriating my culture?" Choke on a bag of fucking dicks, you fucking imbeciles. You don't own the exclusive copy rights to "your" fucking culture. People have a right to choose their own identity. The idea that cultural exchange makes societies stronger is one of the central fucking pillars of our country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Onemic

It really seems like you're projecting here. No one talked about appropriating culture in the video.

And why do you feel that you are the authority on what black people can and cannot talk about? Do you do the same to gays and women as well? Are they not allowed to talk about common experiences they've had vs men/straight people?

EDIT: based on your followup posts...You really seem to be projecting

Lowmelody

And all you gunpowder/paper/compass using, noodle and kung fu liking mother fuckers need to stop appropriating my culture. "Appropriating my culture?" Choke on a bag of fucking dicks, you fucking imbeciles. You down own the exclusive copy rights to "your" fucking culture. People have a right to choose their own identity. The idea that cultural exchange makes societies stronger is one of the central fucking pillars of our country.

If black people were as valued as the traits and trends lifted from them this wouldn't be as big of an issue as it is. Cultures sharing things back and fourth through exposure is indeed powerful and desirable however that isn't what is occurring, in the USA anyways. It has always been one sided and black people have been culturally plundered while being dehumanized at the same time.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It really seems like you're projecting here. No one talked about appropriating culture in the video.

And why do you feel that you are the authority on what black people can and cannot talk about? Do you do the same to gays and women as well? Are they not allowed to talk about common experiences they've had vs men/straight people?

well...00:47

You seem to projecting an inability to watch the fucking video that was posted in the OP. "Can you appropriate my student loans?"

BTW. I am a woman.

Are you serious?

There's a difference between "cultural exchange" and "cultural appropriation/shaming".

That I even have to explain this shows a lack of critical thought. It's not hard to imagine why black women who are constantly shamed by not conforming to western beauty standards and wearing their hair naturally might not want to see other people rocking hairstyles that are similar to that. Or why black women who are called "sluts" and "disgusting" for twerking and popping and other styles of "provocative" dance might catch some feelings when Miley does it and it's now chic. Just a couple of examples from a well of them.

I swear to god, your entire post is just lacking of empathy and is indicative of why videos like this even exist.

Two steps forward, fifteen backwards.

You seem angry

Are you serious?

There's a difference between "cultural exchange" and "cultural appropriation/shaming".

That I even have to explain this shows a lack of critical thought. It's not hard to imagine why black women who are constantly shamed by not conforming to western beauty standards and wearing their hair naturally might not want to see other people rocking hairstyles that are similar to that. Or why black women who are called "sluts" and "disgusting" for twerking and popping and other styles of "provocative" dance might catch some feelings when Miley does it and it's now chic. Just a couple of examples from a well of them.

I swear to god, your entire post is just lacking of empathy and is indicative of why videos like this even exist.

Two steps forward, fifteen backwards.

No, you don't understand. Because I'm not white, the stuff in the video they made isn't addressed to me. I actually felt a little guilty for watching it. Kind of like when I read my roommates mail.

Onemic

You seem to projecting an inability to watch the fucking video that was posted in the OP. "Can you appropriate my student loans?"

BTW. I am a woman.

you seem angry.

My bad that I missed that second question. You seem really hung up on it though...it's weird.

lightus

I understand what you're saying and I may even agree with it. Being so antagonistic is probably hurting how your argument is being perceived though.

CLEEK

My bad that I missed that second question.

You must have also missed:

"This is my natural hairstyle. Don't copy it"
"Why to white people think they've invented a new trend when it's ours"

And the original hoo-har around Miley and twerking was always about cultural appropriation.

Why is this called Questions For White People and not Questions for Racists?
And even if it were Questions for Racists, a couple of the questions are just terrible. People aren't allowed to copy your hair if they like it? Does that mean youre not allowed to have straight hair either? Do we all have to drive up the pettiest fucking barriers between us or can we all just share the love?

Oh the irony of asking why white people stereotype black people... by stereotyping white people.

Serious issues, legitimate issues, presented in the worst way. By doing to others what they dont want done to themselves.

I think their point was: there was demonstrably greater sorrow and outrage among white people online over the death of a single lion then there were for multitudes of black human beings.

It's called a "singular incident."

Well fuck everyone else, theyre not me. I'm plenty pissed about the people who have been murdered.

Why is this called Questions For White People and not Questions for Racists?
And even if it were Questions for Racists, a couple of the questions are just terrible. People aren't allowed to copy your hair if they like it? Does that mean youre not allowed to have straight hair either? Do we all have to drive up the pettiest fucking barriers between us or can we all just share the love?

Serious issues, legitimate issues, presented in the worst way. By doing to others what they dont want done to themselves.

Well fuck everyone else, theyre not me. I'm plenty pissed about the people who have been murdered.

So because it was titled towards white people we are just going to ignore everything in the video? ok

you seem angry.

My bad that I missed that second question. You seem really hung up on it though...it's weird.
You mistake my casual swearing for something other than what it is, a fundamental inability to write a sentence in the English language without using the word fuck at least twice. Fuck.

And I'm not hung up on anything. I only just arrived at this party and I'm about ready to leave so I can drink alone in my room.

D i Z

No, you don't understand. Because I'm not white, the stuff in the video they made isn't addressed to me. I actually felt a little guilty for watching it. Kind of like when I read my roommates mail.

post-30107-Justin-Timberlake-WTF-WHAT-gif-ZWRL.gif

They've made similar ones for Asian people. And an article full of questions! I guess you don't speak for all Asian folk and others get angry and exasperated too?

stufte

You guys know we can all see the black culture community thread. Right? That it's not some hidden thread where you can go and talk shit about people without anyone knowing or seeing? Do you actually want to participate in this thread in earnest or do you just want to land a few zingers so you can run back to that thread to pat yourselves on the back?

This thread is a disaster, but not for the reasons you think.

Go ahead and ignore the whole conversation about culture appropriation that we have been having for months.

I'm..in this thread? Commenting on the original post? What are you even talking about? Should I have a reminder in my phone for whenever you make a post?

My posts are about this thread posted today three hours ago. Whatever you're up to elsewhere is your business.

I wish there was a text list of the questions because they were mostly terrible except the ones about perception of criminal behavior. I could pretty much go down the list and say "nope, don't do that. don't believe that. don't think that -- wow that's weird that you think we all do."

Oh well, at least people don't stereotype me to my face very often, even if they apparently can get away with doing it in cutely packaged viral videos that get passed around as though it were a modicum of social justice.

You guys know we can all see the black culture community thread. Right? That it's not some hidden thread where you can go and talk shit about people without anyone knowing or seeing? Do you actually want to participate in this thread in earnest or do you just want to land a few zingers so you can run back to that thread to pat yourselves on the back?

Yes, we're aware everyone keeps tabs on the BCT

I'm..in this thread? Commenting on the original post? What are you even talking about? Should I have a reminder in my phone for whenever you make a post?

My posts are about this thread posted today three hours ago. Whatever you're up to elsewhere is your business.

Did you not just post this? People aren't allowed to copy your hair if they like it? Does that mean youre not allowed to have straight hair either? Do we all have to drive up the pettiest fucking barriers between us or can we all just share the love?

My point was that this has come up multiple times in multiple threads in the past now unless you are a completely new memeber more than likely you have seen this. It's not about white girls wearing afros it was never about that. It was about White girls being praised for wearing afros when black women and men get profiled and looked down upon for wearing the same hairstyle. Being forced to wear straight hair in order to get jobs or be seen as attractive is not culture appropriation its surviving. Being told that your hair is ugly or unattractive for years upon years but then a white woman wears it and all of a sudden its ok and its trendy is fucked up.

Yes, we're aware everyone keeps tabs on the BCT
Massa gotta keep us poor negros in line.

D i Z

Everyone knows this. But would you rather frustration and head desk contact be expressed here to speed up the derails instead?

stufte

Everyone knows this. But would you rather frustration and head desk contact be expressed here to speed up the derails instead?

Yah, good point, but some of the discussion in here is clearly meant to provoke a negative response for the lulz back in the other thread.

Did you not just post this? People aren't allowed to copy your hair if they like it? Does that mean youre not allowed to have straight hair either? Do we all have to drive up the pettiest fucking barriers between us or can we all just share the love?

My point was that this has come up multiple times in multiple threads in the past now unless you are a completely new memeber more than likely you have seen this. It's not about white girls wearing afros it was never about that. It was about White girls being praised for wearing afros when black women and men get profiled and looked down upon for wearing the same hairstyle. Being forced to wear straight hair in order to get jobs or be seen as attractive is not culture appropriation its surviving. Being told that your hair is ugly or unattractive for years upon years but then a white woman wears it and all of a sudden its ok and its trendy is fucked up.

Well all I can say is that I guess I'm not a level 32 Neogaf thread warrior like you thought I was because I guess I've missed it. And I think afros are awesome and nobody should get down on black ladies for rocking them. Fuck anybody who does, my hair isnt nearly that talented.
And specifically what I was referring to was the lady in the video saying that she didnt like white girls copying her hair. You say it isn't about "white girls wearing afros" but that seems to be exactly what she said in the video.

I'm kind of fearful about where this thread is heading though with some of the comments I've seen this page, making references to outside conversations and bringing other threads into it. I dont know what outside connotations I'm getting involved in and I'm not part of that so I'm gunna back off before I get lost. I was just here to talk about this particular video.

It turned to shit because it turned into a white tears thread. We all know that not all white people don't do this shit but it's enough to cause a problem. Also people dismissing parts of the video because the complaints were "stupid". It's like a woman making a video about being catcalled by men. Not all men catchall but there is enough to be a fucking problem. Are all of these problems as bad as catcalling? Nah but they are still annoying. Sometimes people need to shut up and listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom