• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24 Questions Black People Have For White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

If you're answering the questions point by point even when they have no relevance to you, I think you're missing the point. Despite saying they are "questions black people have for white people," the title is a bit of misdirection. Like, if you've never asked a black person to teach you to twerk, it's not directed towards you. Or if you have never wanted to touch a black person's hair apropos of nothing, a question about why you want to touch black peoples' hair is not addressed to you. If you aren't one of those people who got up in arms about Cecil, but ignored or defended the killings of black people, that question about lions' lives probably isn't directed to you.

Some of these questions describe attitudes that are broadly true among white people (e.g. a desire to be colorblind or difficulty acknowledging racial biases, whether personal or more broadly conceived), or describe patterns in the media (e.g. something previously performed by famous black people is described as new or is treated with more seriousness when a white person does it), and a few generalizing questions where the point isn't necessarily to have question itself answered (or necessarily present an observation that is broadly applicable in the way some of the others indeed are), but how those questions resemble the way black people are similarly generalized based on limited information.

Once again, since people in this thread somehow dont seem to understand, they're not saying every white person is like this, but rather that these are situations that many black people find themselves in with other white people.

It's completely transparent if you stop and think. If you don't do something, why would you think that a question asking why you do something was directed towards you?

whitehawk

Banned
Question at 1:23 is too good. People go up and riot the second you change someone to a PoC in a movie/game/etc, but those same people have nothing to say when there are all-white casts. Some even defend it.
I suppose GAF is different, but I see people on here complaining often of white actors playing non-white characters.

You sound like you're being very single minded about this. Do you let everything that's reported in the media influence what you think? I think you mean "shit is not well for ME". There are plenty of well respected African Americans that are a lot better off than some white people and visversa. Anyway, I appologize that we have conflicting views, but nothing I say is going to change your opinion and nothing you say is going to sway what I perceive as common sense. We are at an impasse kind sir.

Do I appear to be someone who lets the media influence me, or do I appear to be someone who completely understands how much the average American's views are shaped by the media? Pro tip, it's the latter. Denying that with this "individualism" counter argument is exactly what black people are talking about. No shit black people see themselves as individuals, the issue is that society doesn't and this is in part by the media.

You're in gross denial if you don't think the media representation of black people makes it that much harder to be black. Income levels don't really change this at all.

some people are more cavalier about certain things than other people, and reconciling that with your personal beliefs is part of day to day life.

Sure, it doesn't stop having a discussion about it.

I went to the Dominican Republic once and to see how some of my "fellow 'Muricans" were throwing their weight around, looking down on and demeaning the locals (mocking their accents, talking shit about them, etc.), that shit made me mad and ashamed.

shoreu

I bet I could pull it off. All my best karaoke songs are Wu Tang but I always have to mumble "nuckaz" or some other PG edit.

For what it's worth, a lot of these questions aren't just a black/white thing. Try being a foreign anything in Asia, you're practically a cartoon character for a lot of people. Sometimes you're just seen as a harmless stereotype, but sometimes I get on the bus wearing a suit and tie and yet mom's moving the kids to the other side of the vehicle in case I'm actually a werewolf.

People don't care about my hair, but random strangers do try to touch my shiny and magical white skin. Or they sneer at me because something something World War II and their country is for them anyway. God help me if I'm speaking English in the wrong bar. People just assume I can't understand their language when they talk shit about me from the next table.

And everyone tells me I'm "one of the good ones." The bad ones must either have it rough, or be too oblivious to know what's being said to / about them.

lol man your preachin' to the choir. And for those upset i bet you can't find a single black person who hasn't been through or observed one of these things. These Buzzfeed videos are meant to be funny lighten up man.

Why do you make such horrible descisions in horror movies? - Everyone makes horrible decisions in horror movies.

Why do you freak out when black people are picked to play white fictional characters? - I don't.

Why is a big butt and big lips considered attractive on a white woman but not on a black woman? - I don't think this way.

Do you really think Miley is the one who created twerking? - Nope.

Why am I supposed to teach you how to twerk? - I don't want to twerk.

Why is it that white people always act as though they've discovered a new trend when black people have been doing it for years? - I don't know.

Why is white crime seen as an isolated incident but black crime is seen as a representation of my entire community? - The answer is pretty obvious. Racism. Also white folks have a large hold of the media.

Why does talking about race make you feel so uncomfortable? - It doesn't.

You don't really believe that racism is over just because we have a black president? - Of course racism isn't over.

Why is it easy for you to notice when there are no white people around, but you hardly ever notice when there are no black people around. - Who says I don't notice these things?

Why is your goal to be colorblind? - It isn't.

Why do you want to say the "N" word so bad? - I don't.

Why do you think it's ok to touch our hair? - I don't.

Why do you think having one black friend makes you a cultural expert or not a racist? - I don't.

Why do you feel comfortable cursing at your parents? - I don't curse at my parents.

Why do you kiss your dogs on the mouth? - I don't have a dag.

Why can't you pronounce black names, but you can pronounce other names? - I can pronounce black names.

Why do you feel like all lions lives matter, but all black lives don't? - I never said black lives don't matter.

Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge your privilege? - I do acknowledge it.

How does it feel to not be the spokesperson for your entire race? - It feels good.

Must be nice. - Yes, it is.

Edit: I missed the point.

CLEEK

What I do find interesting is that it seems pretty clear that no group likes being treated as a monolith, as can easily be seen by this thread. Yet this is what black people literally have to face every day of the week. Take solace in the fact that for you it's condensed to a video that you watched one day for 5 minutes.

Completely right. Having broad generalisation made about your group, which might be entirely false, is always confronting and far more likely to trigger a negative, defensive response and dismiss the points being made.

I'd imagine if you're black, you'd think that video is pretty mild stuff, asking basic questions around stuff you have personally experienced. I'd imagine if you're white, the majority of questions will be answered with "I don't think that" and the video will just get your back up.

If you don't do something, why would you think that a question asking why you do something was directed towards you?

??? Because the question was directly asked to me as a white person.

injurai

Banned
If you're answering the questions point by point even when they have no relevance to you, I think you're missing the point. Despite saying they are "questions black people have for white people," the title is a bit of misdirection. Like, if you've never asked a black person to teach you to twerk, it's not directed towards you. Or if you have never wanted to touch a black person's hair apropos of nothing, a question about why you want to touch black peoples' hair is not addressed to you. If you aren't one of those people who got up in arms about Cecil, but ignored or defended the killings of black people, that question about lions' lives probably isn't directed to you.

Some of these questions describe attitudes that are broadly true among white people (e.g. a desire to be colorblind or difficulty acknowledging racial biases, whether personal or more broadly conceived), or describe patterns in the media (e.g. something previously performed by famous black people is described as new or is treated with more seriousness when a white person does it), and a few generalizing questions where the point isn't necessarily to have question itself answered (or necessarily present an observation that is broadly applicable in the way some of the others indeed are), but how those questions resemble the way black people are similarly generalized based on limited information.

Or you've missed their participation in the thought experiment, because everyone answering those question is coming to those conclusions without you having to tell them.

Question to white people from mexicans:

Why do yall have so many fridges

How is it a party if you don't dance

Why are yalls stomach so weak

Why do you put such big tires on trucks. You cant haul trailers and weight with big tires

Why are your sports announcers so boring

stufte

Or you've missed their participation in the thought experiment, because everyone answering those question is coming to those conclusions without you having to tell them.

Exactly. I started answering line by line because I thought "sure, why not" and by the time I got to the last question I was well aware of what I had just done. I posted it anyhow because I found it interesting and thought provoking.

Question to white people from mexicans:

Why do yall have so many fridges

How is it a party if you don't dance

Why are yalls stomach so weak

Why do you put such big tires on trucks. You cant haul trailers and weight with big tires

Why are your sports announcers so boring

Why do yall have so many fridges - Gotta keep all the things cold! *grabs a beer from the beer fridge*

How is it a party if you don't dance - We can't dance.

Why are yalls stomach so weak - Shit is gross.

Why do you put such big tires on trucks. You cant haul trailers and weight with big tires - I don't own a truck.

Why are your sports announcers so boring - That's a good question

D i Z

It doesn't miss the point as long as the video is addressed to "white people". Some people don't like being lumped into blanket statements, and will respond accordingly.

It totally does if respondents can't seem to figure out the difference between "people" and "I" in a situation obviously designed to illustrate a simple point with its questions.
As in, it's obviously not meant to be a personal attack, so why take it personally and by doing so, avoiding the actual conversation that it's begging to have?

My best friend is half white half Chinese, I've watched him curse at his mom (his dad is Chinese). Shit blew my mind, I would never think to even say "hell" to my mom as a kid. My mom would have killed me and denied she ever had a child when asked where I was.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at people literally answering these questions.

It's like someone asking "Why do people litter", and another person popping up and saying "Well, I don't. What a stupid question."

Mumei

Er. If they were coming to the same conclusion as me, they would not have answered the questions point by point in the first place.

??? Because the question was directly asked to me as a white person.

I'm also a white person, and had no trouble parsing it. I'm sorry that you misunderstood, I suppose.

It's like someone asking "Why do people litter", and another person popping up and saying "Well, I don't. What a stupid question."

You, I like.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
Do I appear to be someone who lets the media influence me, or do I appear to be someone who completely understands how much the average American's views are shaped by the media? Pro tip, it's the latter. Denying that with this "individualism" counter argument is exactly what black people are talking about. No shit black people see themselves as individuals, the issue is that society doesn't and this is in part by the media.

You're in gross denial if you don't think the media representation of black people makes it that much harder to be black. Income levels don't really change this at all.

I never said it didn't. And I don't think they should be able to but they can. Bitching about it isn't going to get anyone anywhere. The "race barrier" still exists, but that's why people should work against it. Idk of racism will ever become extinct but separating the masses isn't a very good example to use if you're trying to make a point about anti-racism. It takes more than one group to solve a problem between that group and another. I don't know if you're trying to be polite or rude, but all I'm saying is that videos like this aren't helping the situation. A lot of people, including you, have made very valid points so far; but there is no point in this "debate" we're doing as we are only putting our own opinions in perspective. Calm down buddy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I see a forum full of white nerdy male children of privilege aren't taking this video too well.

But seriously Buzzfeed does a ton of great stuff.

Lowmelody

This video (along with almost every occasion race being discussed on the internet) gives me the constantly reoccurring notion that your average black person is so much stronger than I am emotionally because if i had to put up with even a goddamn 10th of that shit I would be so discouraged to even interact with white people. Like at all. Even with the shit loads of privilege I have I'm nearly always depressed and keep to myself. It was always humbling to me that the few black friends I grew up with were always so friendly despite how things are for them. (grew up in rural KS)

I do consider that a tame list of questions though, the scary movie and dog kissing questions for example could have been replaced with one of hundreds of pretty heavy things but that just a nitpick, other than that good video.

It's completely transparent if you stop and think. If you don't do something, why would you think that a question asking why you do something was directed towards you?

Because it was directed towards me as a white person. If it was directed at dominant attitudes expressed by white media and people who are ignorant to the racial troubles plaguing the country (as it obviously was) it should be stated as such. Yes, it's longer and requires nuance, but, well, that's a sacrifice we have to make in educated conversation.

It totally does if respondents can't seem to figure out the difference between "people" and "I" in a situation obviously designed to illustrate a simple point with its questions.
As in, it's obviously not meant to be a personal attack, so why take it personally

Because it was addressed to me as a white person. People don't like getting lumped into groups and are voicing how that makes them feel.

and by doing so, avoiding the actual conversation that it's begging to have?

I don't see how this stops conversation or avoids the point of the video. The problem this thread is running into is that the video is largely preaching to the choir, aside from its title.

I'm also a white person, and had no trouble parsing it. I'm sorry that you misunderstood, I suppose.

Oh please, mumei. Did any of us have trouble parsing it, really? People are voicing their opinions over clumsy wording, that's all.

Nephtis

As far as the names go, yeah, there's a lot of times that I find myself struggling to pronounce a lot of them. The point made in the video is moot though, a lot of people would also have a hard time with Schwarzenegger if he wasn't famous. The same applies for the other names mentioned.

Most of the video bugged me, not because of the questions asked, but because of how they were asked. Which really destroys their message, I think.

stufte

Er. If they were coming to the same conclusion as me, they would not have answered the questions point by point in the first place.

Sorry if I didn't arrive at the conclusion in the same way. Do you feel smarter than me?

I never said it didn't. And I don't think they should be able to but they can. Bitching about it isn't going to get anyone anywhere. The "race barrier" still exists, but that's why people should work against it. Idk of racism will ever become extinct but separating the masses isn't a very good example to use if you're trying to make a point about anti-racism. It takes more than one group to solve a problem between that group and another. I don't know if you're trying to be polite or rude, but all I'm saying is that videos like this aren't helping the situation. A lot of people, including you, have made very valid points so far; but there is no point in this "debate" we're doing as we are only putting our own opinions in perspective. Calm down buddy.

The "race barrier" exists because one group doesn't like talking about and believe some nonsense about being post racial and a politicial party that pretty much wants things to stay the status quo because money and racism, and because of that the other group has to walk on egg shells when they bring it up.

Separating the masses? No clue what you're talking about there.

It takes more than one group to solve a problem? I agree, and there is one group who's been very vocal about these problems and another group that by large doesn't want to listen because it doesn't effect them. They'd rather cry about some lion 2,000 miles away.

I'm pretty calm, I just get tired of people with this whole "we're one people, humans, let's come together and sing kumbiya". view.

You'd get a lot of those responses if you said "Why do white people litter", though. :p

injurai

Banned

The differences is they came to the conclusions that the problem lied in the asking of the questions, not in the answering of them. Because to answer them is to challenge the problem of the questions all together. They understand the question is the problem.

So do you think you've arrived at a moral high ground by choosing to not answer the questions? Because the way I see it, the only differences is for some realizing the nature of the questions was enough, and others wanted to test them out to further internalize having to answer and oblige someone's line of questioning.

Onemic

This video (along with almost every occasion race being discussed on the internet) gives me the constantly reoccurring notion that your average black person is so much stronger than I am emotionally because if i had to put up with even a goddamn 10th of that shit I would be so discouraged to even interact with white people. Like at all. Even with the shit loads of privilege I have I'm nearly always depressed and keep to myself. It was always humbling to me that the few black friends I grew up with were always so friendly despite how things are for them. (grew up in rural KS)

I do consider that a tame list of questions though, the scary movie and dog kissing questions for example could have been replaced with one of hundreds of pretty heavy things but that just a nitpick, other than that good video.

Gotta space it out with a few non serious questions :p

I dislike it when people ascribe viewpoints or opinions to me that I don't have.

I really think you should view the post I replied to you with a page back.

CLEEK

Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge your privilege? - Because very few white people have experienced it from the other side. It's like being thankful for food without ever having to starve.

I saw a great discussion on Reddit a while back. An Asian poster, who failed to emigrate to the US, felt that every US citizen was in a position of privilege. But how many black Americans would acknowledge their privilege of living in the US? Not many, I'd wager. For obvious reasons. Even though by world standards, it was an accurate statement.

Why do you make such horrible decisions in horror movies? - Because, predominantly, white people are writing the movie script. Rich white people, to be specific. And in order for something bad to actually happen to a white person, they need to make a mistake. It's an extension of the bootstraps theory, that you're only in your shitty position because you fucked up or didn't work hard enough. White people, specifically rich white people, don't want to admit that sometimes the system just fucks you over. And they carry that subconsciously into most media. It's why when some form of media actually portrays the reality of life, people are blown away by its honesty.

Why do you freak out when black people are picked to play white fictional characters? - Because people have an easier time empathizing and relating to characters similar to themselves. White people have a hard time empathizing and relating to minority characters. It's why they are always a gamble in any media format.

Why is a big butt and big lips considered attractive on a white woman but not on a black woman? - Statistically speaking, white men don't find black women as attractive as white women. So, overall, things will always look better on a white woman than a black woman for a white men.

Do you really think Miley is the one who created twerking? - No one actually thinks that. No one who isn't an idiot actually thinks that.

Why am I supposed to teach you how to twerk? - You aren't. Please. Do not do this.

Why is it that white people always act as though they've discovered a new trend when black people have been doing it for years? - Because white people appropriate other cultures. We are the undisputed king of it. And if we can get away with not giving you credit, why not.

Why is white crime seen as an isolated incident but black crime is seen as a representation of my entire community? - Because we're over 70% of the population. And you're 13%. Also because the police target you. And so does the media. It's mostly the media.

Why does talking about race make you feel so uncomfortable? - Because there are very few circumstances where white people, in general, are on the right side of any race issue. We're the perpetrator of the vast majority of racism, because we're the vast majority of the population.

You don't really believe that racism is over just because we have a black president? - Obama only exacerbated open racism by giving racists a high profile target to throw tantrums over.

Why is it easy for you to notice when there are no white people around, but you hardly ever notice when there are no black people around. - It's noticeable for people who were raised or live in diverse areas. I notice it when I travel sometimes. But there are a lot of white people that were raised or currently live around only other white people. So it's hard for them to notice what is essentially normal for them.

Why is your goal to be colorblind? - That's stupid.

Why do you want to say the "N" word so bad? - This one is kind of your own fault; excluding racists who just want to say it because they are racist. Black movies and music have glamorized the word for decades and a lot of people grew up listening to and watching its usage be both idolized and vilified. So it has both the allure of something that's forbidden and the allure of being something that's 'cool'.

Why do you think it's ok to touch our hair? - It isn't ok to touch anyone who doesn't ask for it.

Why do you think having one black friend makes you a cultural expert or not a racist? - Because people feel like they are able to better relate when they have a cultural or racial friend to lend them perspective. It makes them feel like they have an advantage in racial discussion over white people who don't have black friends.

Why do you feel comfortable cursing at your parents? - Because white parents, statistically speaking, are less likely to hit their kids. I don't feel comfortable cursing at my parents, and it's mostly because I'd get five fingers to the face.

Why do you kiss your dogs on the mouth? - Because it ultimately doesn't matter. It's only gross if you forget that your dog also rubs his ass on your bed pillows when you aren't looking. Pets in general are pretty gross. But it's all relatively harmless.

Why can't you pronounce black names, but you can pronounce other names? - I can't pronounce any of those other names either. Also, we hear famous people's names repeated several hundred times. We don't, necessarily, hear specific ethnic names repeated frequently. Until we do, then we can pronounce them. I mispronounced my neighbors name the first three times I spoke with him, he's Iranian, but he was very understanding about it. And now I pronounce it just fine. It's a matter of exposure.

Why do you feel like all lions lives matter, but all black lives don't? - White people really like to get behind causes that don't take a lot of effort but make them feel good. Like an 'awareness' campaign. Super easy to participate. Makes you feel good for doing something good. Actually does near fuck all nothing. The effort to fix racism is well beyond the threshold most people are willing to invest. Also racists. Also animals is something everyone can get behind. The media loves animals. Oh look, the media again! Hi guys!

Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge your privilege? - I'm a white male. If I was also rich, I would be the most privileged motherfucker on earth. But two out of three ain't bad.

How does it feel to not be the spokesperson for your entire race? - Sometimes I wish I was so I could tell white men to stop being so fucking awful to women.

I'm a little drunk, so I probably answered way more honestly than I should have. Some are a little sarcastic, most aren't. But there you go.

I saw a great discussion on Reddit a while back. An Asian poster, who failed to emigrate to the US, felt that every US citizen was in a position of privilege. But how many black Americans would acknowledge their privilege of living in the US? Not many, I'd wager. For obvious reasons. Even though by world standards, it was an accurate statement.

Yes, being lucky enough to be born in the US makes me privileged in a lot of ways.

Making comparisons like this is just deflection; some one else's hypothetical behavior doesn't excuse one's own behavior.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
The "race barrier" exists because one group doesn't like talking about and believe some nonsense about being post racial and a politicial party that pretty much wants things to stay the status quo because money and racism, and because of that the other group has to walk on egg shells when they bring it up.

Separating the masses? No clue what you're talking about there.

It takes more than one group to solve a problem? I agree, and there is one group who's been very vocal about these problems and another group that by large doesn't want to listen because it doesn't effect them. They'd rather cry about some lion 2,000 miles away.

I'm pretty calm, I just get tired of people with this whole "we're one people, humans, let's come together and sing kumbiya". view.

I still feel like you're putting me in that group though. I don't control the media....or the economy. Your word choice makes it sound like ALL white people are keeping black people down when I think you know that's BS. And the alternative to that "kumbiya " view you speak of is exactly what you're fighting against. You can have it one way or another. The world takes a while to change when it comes to social standards. The U.S. Is still a very young civilization my friend. You bet your ass we have some growing to do, but it'll take people like me AND you to change that eventually. I think a good portion of people in general are becoming more educated on black oppression and that's where the change should start.

I did, and I agree with you entirely. I agree with the video as well, I'm just butthurt at the title. :p

Why are you butthurt tho the title of the video was part of the point of the damn video thats where the fucking problem is. That is what I was talking about in my previous post as well.

JeTmAn81

I'll be real on the N-word thing. Since my only real experience with it is through hip-hop and movie dialogue from the likes of Quentin Tarantino, the word carries a certain sense of cool for me. I don't have first-hand experience with the ugliness that comes with use of the word in the real world. I would never use it in front of others but I might occasionally use it in my mind or while quoting a song lyric to myself.

Maybe the point would've been better made if this was black people telling stories of dumb shit white people have said/done/asked around them. This video puts white people into an immediate defensive stance.

But don't black people get killed first?

black people work twice as hard and are twice as smart in horror movies and still get killed first

don-t-be-a-menace-message-o.gif

Mumei

Sorry if I didn't arrive at the conclusion in the same way. Do you feel smarter than me?

I'm still operating under the idea that we didn't arrive to the same conclusions. Not that we don't agree to a certain point, of course. I started watching it thinking that it might be questions I would be interested in answering. I realized that it wasn't questions that had much personal relevance to me. You presumably also started with the same thoughts, and answered the questions as they arose. You presumably also realized that they didn't have much personal relevance to you. So, I think we're agreed up till that point, yes? But I think that we came to a different conclusion in that I thought that responding to the questions (if they didn't describe attitudes or behaviors that reflected your attitudes or behaviors, or at the very least attitudes and behaviors that you'd be interested in exploring as phenomena even if you don't hold them yourself) was actively counterproductive, and you thought it was going to be interesting or thought-provoking.

The differences is they came to the conclusions that the problem lied in the asking of the questions, not in the answering of them. Because to answer them is to challenge the problem of the questions all together. They understand the question is the problem.

So do you think you've arrived at a moral high ground by choosing to not answer the questions? Because the way I see it, the only differences is for some realizing the nature of the questions was enough, and others wanted to test them out to further internalize having to answer and oblige someone's line of questioning.

Well, there is no "line of questioning" here that needs to be either obliged or resisted. A line of questioning would be a series of questions ordered in a manner designed to develop a particular argument by eliciting specific answers that lead a person to a particular conclusion. These questions are just a grab bag of questions, some of which are quite clearly rhetorical and are designed to make a point in their being asked and do not invite or require an answer.

I don't think that I have the moral high ground by choosing not to answer, and I don't think that someone is dumb or a bad person for having chosen to answer them. I do think it was the wrong response, though.

Aselith

That video was supposed to be worthwhile how? There's no new thought in there. Just Buzzfeed doing what they do and regurgitating other people's thought.

CLEEK

Making comparisons like this is just deflection; some one else's hypothetical behavior doesn't excuse one's own behavior.

It's not deflection, it's the fact that unless you're confronted with the life/experience of groups less fortunate than you, your privilege just seems to be the default setting in life.

If you don't experience racial profiling, police harassment, institutionalised racism, being the minority presence in groups of people etc, you won't give much though about the fact you don't.

Onemic

I'll be real on the N-word thing. Since my only real experience with it is through hip-hop and movie dialogue from the likes of Quentin Tarantino, the word carries a certain sense of cool for me. I don't have first-hand experience with the ugliness that comes with use of the word in the real world. I would never use it in front of others but I might occasionally use it in my mind or while quoting a song lyric to myself.

I dont think anyone cares if you use it in those occasions. At least I'd certainly hope not.

The question is really directed to those that make the excuse that they use the word to other black people because black people use it in songs. Or that they'll casually use it in their dialogue with others because black people use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom