• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24 Questions Black People Have For White People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb video however I really do need to know why white folks kiss dogs on the mouth and or share utensils with them. It's fucking disgusting. My girlfriend will lay in bed while our dog is going absolutely ham on her mouth like its coated in peanut butter or something.

To answer this question we require more information. Does she do it open mouth or not?

SmokyDave

Dumb video however I really do need to know why white folks kiss dogs on the mouth and or share utensils with them. It's fucking disgusting. My girlfriend will lay in bed while our dog is going absolutely ham on her mouth like its coated in peanut butter or something.
Sounds like your missus is a little bit too close to Rover. I'd probably have a word if I were you.

JDSN

Banned
Oh no. ..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wow, that was really stupid. Am I wrong on this one? =[
The video is throwing out stereotypes and racial situations (plus some humor) that blacks face daily while generalizing white people. It then flips things around and says, "you don't like being generalized into one giant group, do you? well we don't either." The questions aren't really meant to be answered if you're a self respecting person but the video is meant for you to look within yourself and say "wow, it's not okay that black people are treated this way". Essentially the video is supposed to make you feel black for five seconds. Notice how angry people get at that idea. We've got tons of white people and a few non-black minorities declaring how stupid this video is. The fact that people are arguing the weight of a lion dying vs. thousands of human beings getting killed unjustly every year by the people sworn to protect them due to their skin color is petty and disturbing. That's okay though cause there's tons of black people and only a few of those lions left. "But we can focus on more than one issue at a time" we're effectively dealing with this cop, firearm, and racial profiling problem aren't we? "That problem is too complex and will take a long time" yeah, like 300+ years of systematic racism that still exists because we've been actively trying to stomp that out, huh?. I guess it really is hard to see from the outside looking in. So yes, you are in the wrong

Let me break it down for you, because it seems like you're making a meticulous effort to defend your stances with as surgically-precise rhetoric as possible:

No. No, it was not. Mumei very clearly laid out that this video is directed towards the people whom practice aforementioned dumb diet racist stuff, not all white people, as it were.

And yet:

This doesn't actually refute anything that I've said. I agree with the video, just not the title. I disliked being generalized.

If people were coming in here to exclusively express their concerns regarding the title of the video and the structure of it alone, this thread wouldn't be ten pages long.

There's other people in this thread talking about things other than the title and structure of the video.

Let's revisit this one:

This is a solid "hell no" through and through. This, if nothing else, is where you stumbled into a 1:1 comparison. You're more or less suggesting that minorities / oppressed peoples have to come to you with their plights with perfect clarity, diction, and MLA citations. It's not a sacrifice "we" have to make. It's a sacrifice you're trying to get black people to make, even though they've already had so much stripped from them in the first place. Just because you believe that you, personally, are approaching this with such a level head, clear intent and succinct rationale, doesn't mean that you can attempt to force that on the whole of victimized groups. White people (but not all of them!) are already in a position of power relative to people of color. On a fundamental level, this means that they're probably going to be coming at situations like this with markedly more definitive intent, as though it's possible to either "end racism" or distill the belief into others that it's already been taken care of.

tl;dr you're more or less attempting to trivialize the entire conflict through some purportedly enlightened veil of "necessary objective scrutiny" and you're trying to build semantic pitfalls to avoid actually getting called out on anything that could remotely paint you as a bad person. You're going with the "both sides" argument because you see posters in here refuting white opinions and as a result you feel like you don't have to "give in to them."

What is being "forced" here? Accurately explaining your position in a conversation? We are currently having a conversation. Conversation is held through nuance, and though it can be sussed out through all this shitflinging, it's best if people say what they mean instead of things that can and will be misconstrued.

What about asking for nuanced discussion means that the rest of the discussion is trivialized, and certainly, when does that boil down to "both sides"? I never said that "both sides" were guilty of anything in an even remotely proportional way, as you are implying. Your entire point here hinges on me holding the opinion that the discussion is somehow lessened or tainted by this conversation, and though other posters have expressed that sentiment, I have not, and don't believe that at all.

Once again, it's seeming like you're extrapolating my opinion to that of many white people or other white posters in order to try and have a more palatable discussion, and notably, you've attempted to refocus my rebuttal so that I address the messaging of minority groups (by specifying "the whole" of victimized groups, even though that was something I never even remotely implied) as opposed to just the people in this thread reacting to the video and participating in this conversation, and the video itself.

EDIT: meta edit:

See tl;dr above. You've never had to immediately go on the defensive.

You're right. I didn't have to. It was a reaction I had after I felt like I was being generalized, and I felt like talking about it.

Daria

- Why is it good for a white woman to have a big ass and lips, but not good for a black woman?

I don't know many white guys who are really into big butts, and I've never heard any guy say they are into big lips (if anything the opposite). Guys like the song Big Butts but other than that every ass is pretty good. Its a common stereotype that black and mexican guys are into big butts, but I've never heard that white guys are into it too.

- Why do you want to use the N word so badly

For those of us who grew up listening to snoop, dre, NWA, etc its just a word we heard a lot in songs and our 13 year old inner self always wants to say it, but we are afraid too in public.

- Why is a lions life more important

Because getting lions saved is a pretty simple and reachable goal. Get retarded trophy hunters to stop by shaming them endlessly, send some money to African charities to beef up patrols. Done. Getting cops to stop shooting black people requires way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way more effort.

1. Big asses are fantastic. You can do much more and look at something in a much more appealing way than some flat ass girl. There's just no comparison when you're looking at them. Same with big lips, they are no issues at all. I actually prefer the feel of them, they're more comfortable in many situations.

2. I don't say that shit

3. a lion is sad but a humans life will always prevail as the bigger issue, especially in situations when it's a police driven murder

source: white guy in an interracial relationship

This is a common thing I see in these type of threads. Someone makes a point, and the response is like this. You're loading what you're saying with a lot more than what was warranted. This looks unarguable, because if the argument was about which race, black or white, experiences more racism then it would be. But when you're actually talking about people not liking being generalized then this doesn't even make that much sense as an argument. Of course black people have it rougher, and that's horrible. That doesn't mean that every point about generalization about white people is automatically moot because of that.

The symptoms that black people have because of those generalizations aren't exclusive to black people. White people also feel defensive/get offended by certain stereotypes. When facing a racial barrier as big as black people face with the white majority, offending in any way is probably not the best way to get people who don't agree with you to understand you. A seemingly harmless insult such as "Why do white people let their dogs lick them in the mouth" may turn someone who came in unbiased, biased against the video.

What do those people really matter anyways? They were closed minded enough to be turned away by such a small insult? What I'm saying is that being aware of this, when the goal is to make as many people understand your view as possible, is a good thing. Knowing that when you respond to someone that is trying to tell you that they don't like being generalized by saying "We have it worse, therefore I don't care that you're offended, just care about us" Isn't the most effective way to make people who don't currently care, care.

EDIT: to add a little:

What I'm saying is that the "Jokes" in this video, and the generalization makes this more effective at pandering to people that already know the problems and are on board. Much, much less effective as convincing new people to get on board. It may actually have a negative effect.

The entirety of you post is essentially, "white people have fragile egos about this, make sure you can lighten the blow as much as possible".

Hate to break it to you but that is literally everyday when it comes to black people. Make sure you don't say some shit that will upset the majority because it can and will screw you. But like this is a discussion forum where we should be above appealing to fragility so petty and shallow that it expects the marginalized people to censor plain reality. That's what I see neogaf as. If you can't have a legitimate discussion on this video free of pandering here, why even bother? How nicely does the brutalization and disenfranchisement of minorities have to be put forward before people give a fuck?

I'm not picking your post to say that you are one of these people or you don't get it. I am just saying, there is this idea so apparent about white fragility on issues of race and its entirely tiresome given all the other races have to have thicker skin because of it.

Subtle

This video wasn't made to create intelligent discussion between white people and black people. It was made to pander to black people. I mean the whole premise of asking white people these things immediately puts them on the defensive. "You didn't have to be on the defensive". Bullshit, man.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The entirety of you post is essentially, "white people have fragile egos about this, make sure you can lighten the blow as much as possible".

Hate to break it to you but that is literally everyday when it comes to black people. Make sure you don't say some shit that will upset the majority because it can and will screw you. But like this is a discussion forum where we should be above appealing to fragility so petty and shallow that it expects the people having it to not plainly state reality. That's what I see neogaf as. If you can't have a legitimate discussion on this video free of pandering here, why even bother? How nicely does the brutalization and disenfranchisement of minorities have to be put forward before people give a fuck?

It's not:

It's "Both sides have stereotypes, so when you say one side's don't matter because of the whole picture, you isolate the people that you're trying to send a message to."

You put out a video about stats, and harsh reality. I'll support it all the way.

You put out a video that makes blanket statements about the mindset of white people. I believe it hurts the cause more than helps. Which is what this discussion is about. This video.

Hate to break it to you but that is literally everyday when it comes to black people. Make sure you don't say some shit that will upset the majority because it can and will screw you. But like this is a discussion forum where we should be above appealing to fragility so petty and shallow that it expects the marginalized people to censor plain reality. That's what I see neogaf as. If you can't have a legitimate discussion on this video free of pandering here, why even bother? How nicely does the brutalization and disenfranchisement of minorities have to be put forward before people give a fuck?

I'm not picking your post to say that you are one of these people or you don't get it. I am just saying, there is this idea so apparent about white fragility on issues of race and its entirely tiresome given all the other races have to have thicker skin because of it.

Is asking not to generalize on race when they don't have to censoring reality? Yes, it's a reality that many, many people have to to deal with every day. And it's fucking horrid. But acknowledging that reality is not the same as saying that it is something that should be done. Generalizing will result in the outliers speaking out.

This video wasn't made to create intelligent discussion between white people and black people. It was made to pander to black people. I mean the whole premise of asking white people these things immediately puts them on the defensive. "You didn't have to be on the defensive". Bullshit, man.

Its suppose to make people defensive. Then the idea is you're suppose to tie it together and get "oh shit, this is how they feel all the time".

I don't really fucks with videos like this personally because people will latch on to any way to avoid talking about the actual issue at hand. O also think the only people these videos actually make sense to are people who don't need to watch them.

The idea however that this is pandering to "black people" as if any of this shit is stuff that we get off to is funny. No I do not like having to explain to white people why they should not say nigga. Do you think that is fun?

Subtle

Its suppose to make people defensive. Then the idea is you're suppose to tie it together and get "oh shit, this is how they feel all the time".

I don't really fucks with videos like this personally because people will latch on to any way to avoid talking about the actual issue at hand. O also think the only people these videos actually make sense to are people who don't need to watch them.

The idea however that this is pandering to "black people" as if any of this shit is stuff that we get off to is funny. No I do not like having to explain to white people why they should not say nigga. Do you think that is fun?

People aren't talking about the issue at hand because of the way it's packaged. If that's what the video was supposed to do, then it's doing a horrible job, as evidenced by the 12 page thread.

"it's funny because it's true" doesn't ring true here?

lednerg

I'd like to believe that there's some kind of meta thing going on with the video, where it's actually a commentary about the ridiculousness of generalizing, but I'm just not getting that kind of vibe from it. This is Buzzfeed we're talking about, a company who isn't exactly known for having too many original ideas of their own, or a knack for biting satire. They're no Clickhole:

This is what I find the most baffling about the thread.

People are arguing how "smart" a Buzzfeed video is, and how it has an incredible clever underlying message at the end.

A freaking Buzzfeed video.

I'll stick to Clickhole for my controversial racial videos, thank you.

SmokyDave

What's interesting though is that the next step apparently is not 'these people shouldn't generalise'. Instead, it's 'you shouldn't take this generalisation on board if it isn't applicable to you personally'.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The questions aren't really meant to be answered if you're a self respecting person but the video is meant for you to look within yourself and say "wow, it's not okay that black people are treated this way". Essentially the video is supposed to make you feel black for five seconds. Notice how angry people get at that idea.
I don't see people getting angry over that idea, but over the people mocking them when they don't get it correctly.

You say "The questions aren't really meant to be answered if you're a self respecting person" and that is essentially shitting anyone who answered the questions thinking it was a direct, honest communication. Instead of dealing with questions in a fully dismissive sense, they actually answered them, so they are told they "did it wrong" somehow.

Supposedly, they were supposed to think "so this is what it is like" and simply feel it, and respond to such inane questioning in exactly the same way that black people have taken to dealing with it after an entire lifetime of being bothered with such inane questioning every day.

Naturally, they aren't going to. Their impulses toward that sort of thing are going to be different if they haven't lived a life of it. Telling them their impulses to actually answer the questions are incorrect because they are not the same is silly, but then to try and shame them for not getting some lesson in empathy is even more silly if the communication was clearly failing at it's intent of establishing the same feeling minorities get.

When you do that, it it likewise silly to expect them to go back and try to experience it again with the right attitude. They are instead going to be focused on the fact it completely failed at doing what it intended to do, and they will (in trying to maintain understanding and rationality) explain that this was due to their interpretation of it going in due to the way it presented itself, and the importance of clear communications.

If you then take that as them being judgmental about how minorities are "allowed" to express their frustration, you have missed the point entirely. They aren't offended, they are explaining a broken method of communication. If they had to be told after the fact, it failed, and the "being told" was more effective, so it could have simply started with that and done better.

Yeah, if you said "hey, look at this video that tries to show you the kind of shit you get when you're black" it wouldn't hold the same out-of-the-blue effect, but if people don't deal with it everyday they will take it as a one-time occurrence that should be responded to in a direct manner. They aren't going to imagine "what if this was every day?" and understand, because the context of was was trying to be accomplished was misleading.

border

I'd like to believe that there's some kind of meta thing going on with the video, where it's actually a commentary about the ridiculousness of generalizing, but I'm not just getting that kind of vibe from it.

Yes, this was the impression I came away with too. I would hope that the whole point of the video is to upset white people but make them understand how it feels to have their entire race generalized and stereotyped in a dumb and capricious fashion.

But watching it, the whole thing feels like the creators very much approve and see no harm in making very broad generalizations and stereotypes about white people. We're not supposed to feel any animosity towards those people making the claim that whites want to grope black hair or that they collectively care more about a lion than human beings. The speakers in this video are supposed to be the ones that are "right", or pointing out injustice rather than continuing to perpetrate it.

It just feels like a way to score cheap zingers, and it goes without saying that a video where the roles were reversed would be seen as horrifyingly offensive.

It's not:

It's "Both sides have stereotypes, so when you say one side's don't matter because of the whole picture, you isolate the people that you're trying to send a message to."

You put out a video about stats, and harsh reality. I'll support it all the way.

You put out a video that makes blanket statements about the mindset of white people. I believe it hurts the cause more than helps. Which is what this discussion is about. This video.

Nobody has ever claimed stereotypes are okay. But again, a video of black people making stereotypes to make a point about how fucking annoying and destructive they are is not equivalent to "both sides". Its to point out the irony in the situation and its nothing but fragile egos trying to act as though a question about why the black person always dies in slasher flicks is trying to be some serious shit. Like actually?

People dying on video has not appealed to people's sensibilities. Hundreds of documents about the disenfranchisements of minorities has not appealed to people. Protests have not appealed to people. Scathing reports by the DOJ has not appealed to people. There is 101 video of the system fucking minorities, several discussions on neogaf. But a video teasing the generalizations that let's be fucking serious, are held by a not insignificant group of white people is what has damaged the cause and will make white people not wanna care? Yeah okay forgive me if I'm unmoved. This is the type of fragility that is damaging. Is everyone's feelings so fragile that a video that isn't even addressing those that dont partake in the actions is enough to turn "potentential allies" away. I'm not so naive to even entertain those people ever cared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom