• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

Poor you.

I agree with the other guy. If America was forced to watch this instead of filtered nonsense from ineffectual political pundits, more would empathize with the gut-wrenching horror that is gun crime.

I do not need to see graphic murders to be able to understand the horrors of violence and empathize with its victims.

Double D

What's nuts is that he sat there with the gun pointed right at her and she didn't see it. Looks like he waits for the camera to pan back to her before he does it. This is fucked.

entremet

This fucker posted footage of the shit from a GoPro online??? Wtf.

Yeah. I was confused about it too. I thought people were reacting to the original video.

So there are two videos. The footage taken by the camera man who was killed and GoPro footage by the killer upload to his Twitter and FB pages.

jred2k

The cameraman was 27 and went to Virginia Tech so he was probably enrolled or about to be enrolled when the shooting happened there. It's insane that someone can so easily be close to two killing sprees within a decade. Shows how frequently people are being killed for no reason.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Poor you.

I agree with the other guy. If America was forced to watch this instead of filtered nonsense from ineffectual political pundits, more would empathize with the gut-wrenching horror that is gun crime.

This is so dumb and ignorant.

I'm form reform, but if he didn't have a gun we'd have seen a first person account of him stabbing someone from behind and then chasing the rest.

I'm at the gym now. Beyond sad for the people involved.

I don't think this coward would have been able to confront someone with a knife. I hope America has a moment like Australia where society decides enough, but I don't think it will. Not enough people vote, and a reliable block vote entirely for selfish reasons.

Yeah. I was confused about it too. I thought people were reacted to the original video.

So there are two videos. The footage taken by the camera man who was killed and GoPro footage by the killer upload to his Twitter and FB pages.

Yeah, and I accidentally saw both videos. Should have stopped it when I saw the gun.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm so mad he killed himself.

That's really all I can say. It's just exhausting, and frustrating, and heartbreaking that this shit happens time and time again, and people are more concerned with keeping their guns than saving innocent lives. I'm disgusted in more ways than one right now.

Nibel

What would you call it? Do perfectly sane and stable individuals walk up to a group fo 3, two of which "did nothing to deserve being attacked" and start firing? It's not a huge stretch to think he was all there upstairs and something caused him to snap.

But he prepared a manifesto for ABC News, went to the filming location with a camera and had access to the internet/social media where he spread the footage; besides, I think his tweets indicate that this stems from jealousy

This all looks planned to me

Kalor

This whole situation is awful. I hope we don't see anymore instances like this but the reality is that this likely won't be the last time.

"Law enforcement confronted Vester Flanagan on Interstate 66 and Flanagan shot himself, officials tell CNN. It is not clear whether he was killed or injured."

What does "It is not clear whether he was killed or injured" mean?

-x.Red.x-

its horrifying and surreal to see both perspectives... the victims and the shooter.

as this ever happened before? a shooter broadcasting his actions online?

hope this doesnt lead to "online killings"

Fury451

Banned
"Law enforcement confronted Vester Flanagan on Interstate 66 and Flanagan shot himself, officials tell CNN. It is not clear whether he was killed or injured."

People survive self-inflicted gunshots, even to the head. It's probably unconfirmed at the moment is all that means.

Vyer

just horrible and terrifying. Reading about the fiancee and the people involved with the victims is just immensely sad.

Yeah, I stumbled upon the video he posted because I went to his Twitter when he first started posting. Very surreal, especially after seeing the first video from the news cameras angle when this all started.

It's not graphic, but very very hard to watch. They were so focused on the job they didn't notice him. He just lingers there for awhile and then starts shooting. Eugh. Terrible.

Yeah, :(

He actually pointed the gun, put it back down, and shuffled around some more, before coming back again. He was so close to the three of them and yet they never noticed. just frightening.

SmokyDave

What's nuts is that he sat there with the gun pointed right at her and she didn't see it. Looks like he waits for the camera to pan back to her before he does it. This is fucked.
That's the bit I found surreal. I kept wondering how she hadn't seen it from the corner of her eye. I guess the camera distorted the angles or distance or something.

entremet

Glad he's dead, not a single dime of tax payer money will be spent on keeping that sick fuck alive.

But that's the problem.

Not really vengeance, but why don't these shooters start with themselves instead of ruining the lives of hundreds of people.

They don't have enough information on whether he's actually dead.

Poorly worded.

Shiina

He shot himself but might still be alive.

I don't think this coward would have been able to confront someone with a knife. I hope America has a moment like Australia where society decides enough, but I don't think it will. Not enough people vote, and a reliable block vote entirely for selfish reasons.

eh, someone in my neighborhood just randomly killed someone with a knife in the grocery store aisle a few days ago. It's a cowardly act no matter the weapon.

KingGondo

Banned
curiosity got the better of me

just saw it, man that was heartbreaking

tumblr_kss4xvn6RE1qzcxrxo1_1280.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I saw the movie Nightcrawler the other day. The resonates so much with that movie.

Daft_Cat

This is so dumb and ignorant.

Yah? Maybe. In what way, though?

I saw the videos posted live, and I've never felt brutality personalized in such a shocking or traumatic way. It was very upsetting, but not in a desensitizing way. It's hard to explain I guess.

Definitely affected the way I feel about gun control. I've always understood and agreed with the rational arguments, but this is different. This is something more guttural and instinctual. I guess I was just generalizing from my own case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom