• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 3.0 Features

SZips

For anybody still having trouble seeing the differences between jpg and png, look at colors that are red or similar to red between each comparison shot.

Red tends to look terrible with even the slightest bit of compression and is perhaps the easiest to spot differences on. The pink/purple of the characters hair in that one game posted above and the red archway in the Driveclub pictures will be the easiest to see.

On Demand

Banned
For anybody still having trouble seeing the differences between jpg and png, look at colors that are red or similar to red between each comparison shot.

Red tends to look terrible with even the slightest bit of compression and is perhaps the easiest to spot differences on. The pink/purple of the characters hair in that one game posted above and the red archway in the Driveclub pictures will be the easiest to see.

You have a very keen eye.

Dinjooh

YlsxHfo.png

Highlighted some of the places where there's a clear difference.

Stillmatic

Pretty easy to see here if you open them up in tabs and switch between the two:

lsnBn6l.jpg

lqW11o1.png

Mostly the bottom half of the screen, taillight of the car, car in general, shadows around the tire and even some color and sharpness of the road. Really glad they added this.

benzy

Pretty easy to see here if you open them up in tabs and switch between the two:

lsnBn6l.jpg

lqW11o1.png

Mostly the bottom half of the screen, taillight of the car, car in general, shadows around the tire and even some color and sharpness of the road. Really glad they added this.

Pretty big difference. Compression in the jpg pic is awful.

Agent X

10 GB of storage is nice, but Sony should consider finding a way to trim down the bloated saved data files. Some of those files seem way too large for the scope of the games they're working with.

Does that have to do with Sony or the developer?

I am almost certain that this is on Sony's shoulders. They seem to be mandating some sort of padding on the data files, for a reason that I can't fathom.

Up until recently, the smallest game saves that I had encountered on PS4 were 10.49 GB. These include games like Another World, Metal Slug 3, Race The Sun, OlliOlli, and Thomas Was Alone, which are all fairly simple games. These games are all available on PS3 and PS Vita, and while I don't remember the exact sizes, I am sure they are much smaller than 10 MB.

A few recent games (Aqua Kitty DX, Super Stardust Ultra, OlliOlli2) have 3.15 MB saves. These files are still way too bulky for the relatively light amount of data they're handling, but it's a definite improvement over 10.49 MB.

Downloaded and installed. PS4 and P.T. survived.

Looking through the System Update options, am I correct in assuming you can (safely!) downgrade back to the stable version?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
US Account, Got in also. Damn Gmail...put the email with the beta code in my "Promotions" folder, i almost didnt see it!!!

I'll install it tonite after work!

Mastperf

This isn't about the new firmware but I didn't know where else to ask. Can someone else check Youtube in the PS4 browser and see if you can get a video to play in HD? I can't get anything to play in HD and I'm not having any problem with my Internet connection.
*edit* I just checked the Youtube app and everything is playing in HD so I'm no sure what's up. I usually use the browser as I prefer the layout over the app.

Yazuka

I need to ask. A few pages back in this thread, somebody said you could turn off automatic screenshots for trophies. Is that true?

I need to ask. A few pages back in this thread, somebody said you could turn off automatic screenshots for trophies. Is that true?

Yes.

Also, download speeds for me have improved dramatically since going to 3.0. Hope that means they've fixed something on their end.

Azdoune

Yazuka

Yes.

Also, download speeds for me have improved dramatically since going to 3.0. Hope that means they've fixed something on their end.

Both of them sounds fantastic. I'm so sick of the automatic screenshots of trophies. Often is just dark screens or other useless things. So glad we can choose to remove it now.
And hallelujah about the download speeds! About time something happened with them.

Both of them sounds fantastic. I'm so sick of the automatic screenshots of trophies. Often is just dark screens or other useless things. So glad we can choose to remove it now.
And hallelujah about the download speeds! About time something happened with them.
I agree it's great to have the option to turn it off. I will say though that while I initially thought it was a stupid idea, and there are plenty of dud screenshots produced, there have also been some pearlers - enough that I've come around to the idea of the automatic trophy screenshots.

Ok, I decided to try Youtube Streaming yesterday. I am REALLY impressed. The quality is so much better than Twitch. Even better than recording through PS4's DVR and exporting to Youtube later. Here is the recording (ignore my bad driving skills, hahahaha).

Driveclub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9hEvXFmogg

Nice videos. Glad the video quality is better than the DVR because the compression really makes the game clips look fuzzy. Compare it to one of mine from the DVR, it's definitely not as sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CaFbApeDM

Hope they improve the DVR compression or give us 1080p recording in the next update, as that will really make things sharper.

MaKTaiL

Nice videos. Glad the video quality is better than the DVR because the compression really makes the game clips look fuzzy. Compare it to one of mine from the DVR, it's definitely not as sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CaFbApeDM

Hope they improve the DVR compression or give us 1080p recording in the next update, as that will really make things sharper.
Yeah, DVR definetly destroys video quality, specially when you put it through ShareFactory.

Just tried Youtube streaming last night. Some Battlefield 4 gameplay . Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/IAgjtU67UZ8
Nice video. Did you put it at Best HD when you started the streaming?

terrible

Banned
I'm late to the party here but 10GB? Finally!! I bet I'll find a way to fill that up by 2017 though, maybe sooner lol.

I just recently deleted a large number of online save files to make room for future save files. Is there an easy way to force those to re-upload or will they just do that themselves eventually?

MaKTaiL

I think it was either Best or Best HD. Somewhere along the lines of streaming, it just stopped somehow. Not sure why.
I think it was Best. Notice that the texts are not as sharp as they could be. If you put it on Best HD the next time it will be even better. ;)

10gb storage is good. Everything else is kinda meh. They still to to update the absolutely shit media playback capabilities and allow customizable folders + deletion of library items (demos).

I'm noticing very fast loading speeds. Keep in mind I have a hybrid drive installed but it is way faster loading the dashboard and I nearly have my drive filled up. Also, Madden 16 loads quickly compared to before and all the laggy menu jank has been cleaned up.

Murdoch

I'm noticing very fast loading speeds. Keep in mind I have a hybrid drive installed but it is way faster loading the dashboard and I nearly have my drive filled up. Also, Madden 16 loads quickly compared to before and all the laggy menu jank has been cleaned up.

I'm wondering whether the obligatory "rebuilding of database" during the 3.0 firmware update is responsible for this; rather than the update build itself.

My dash feels about the same; if not, ever so slightly more sluggish.

I'm wondering whether the obligatory "rebuilding of database" during the 3.0 firmware update is responsible for this; rather than the update build itself.

My dash feels about the same; if not, ever so slightly more sluggish.

To be fair, all of the firmware updates since... 2.0 or so force a DB rebuild when installing.

That being said, I can certainly say that it does feel snappier. PNG screenshots are a fantastic addition. There are a few things that I did with the new firmware in general that I cannot really share because I want to remain within the NDA, but so far it's been great.

Murdoch

To be fair, all of the firmware updates since... 2.0 or so force a DB rebuild when installing.

That being said, I can certainly say that it does feel snappier. PNG screenshots are a fantastic addition. There are a few things that I did with the new firmware in general that I cannot really share because I want to remain within the NDA, but so far it's been great.

I'd love to know what you've been fiddling with. Aside from the publically announced communities feature I've been struggling with "new" things for my idle thumbs to mess about with!

Top Bottom