• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming]: Playstation Portal to be Tracked as a Console per Sony's Request

Success

And they banned the poor bastard over at Era who did a thread on Spain's weekly sales charts for "trolling" after he simply shared the numbers, which showed that PS Portal had sold more units than the Xbox Series consoles lol
Got a link? It is easy to say something happened to ERA to get free likes.

Woopah

That just means they aren't afraid of revealing its sales numbers.
How? It means the Portal will be tracked as one type of hidden number instead of a different type of hidden number.

Circana hides all the numbers. We just get rankings.

Last edited:

GHG

Track it as a piece of shit instead.

Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

What does that make Xbox though?

nial

Gold Member
How? It means the Portal will be tracked as one type of hidden number instead of a different type of hidden number.

Circana hides all the numbers. We just get rankings.
Yeah, fair enough. The thing is that NPD doesn't do peripheral rankings.

coffinbirth

Not natively though, its streams the games from a source console to act strictly as a secondary screen.

Its textbook example of a peripheral-based accessory. Otherwise the wii u gamepad should also be considered a console
That's just going by the internet "definition" of game console, as what I was replying to what was obviously an exercise in semantics. Saying this is a "textbook example" of anything is similarly misguided.

That being said, Is such a distinction needed or even accurate when cloud gaming exists, and indeed is (supposedly) coming to Portal? If Sony are doing such a thing, it absolutely makes sense to classify it as a console. In that context, it steps away from Wii U, also a two device platform, on that front. It's hardware that displays and plays video games. I also think the distinction between native and streaming execution of said games is irrelevant in the context of the OP.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Got a link? It is easy to say something happened to ERA to get free likes.

I need the link LMAO.
They are not bullshitting, the person did get banned but it's a pretty shit OP.

DarthPutin

They even banned someone else in the thread for disrespecting XBOX. Well, for "trolling" but if we can't joke about platform's performance, it means platform has been elevated to the status of patron saint.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don't care about sales/numbers wars or whether "some" people think it's shit.

This is only a good thing for already existing owners (or people interested in this) since it means that A) cloud gaming is 99% coming to this (adding value to the handheld) and B) when it'll come, sales will get better most probably leading to a better, upgraded SKU with an OLED screen, maybe better battery and wi-fi 6 amongst other things.

People may not like it but an ergonomic portable, with full dualsense haptic functionality and a nice 8inch screen able to play both your personal catalogue AND a streaming/subscription based one is actually a nice extra to have, in the end no one's forcing you to buy the thing.

They're just dipping their toes with this version /the state it launched at (only console RP, no HDR capabilities which leads to screen fuckery, a Uber basic UI etc), this is literally a "more to come down the line" piece if hardware - I mean, this is Soony® we're talking about - a company which launched their next gen console with no VRR nor ALLM, both of which got released via FW Update.... one year after the console's launch.

Anyway...

Last edited:

Three

I guess this just means that they plan on using this as a PS+ cloud device In the future. I think it was smart to release it as an accessory and then allow cloud play later on.

I predicted the same in another thread. Xbox plans to release a cloud controller that requires a separate thin client screen soon and this is Sony releasing something better equipped ahead of time.

Their cheap entry in future could be a Stadia like controller with cloud (Sebile) and not a new S model. If that takes off in popularity PS will likely be ready with a Portal software update too.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is anyone here an adult like me and works with numbers and inventory systems?

This means a lot of things but either way, they must want specific tracking and they're entitled to that.

K2D

Banned
Is this from the same circle that proclaims that Microsoft is posed to push PlayStation down to third place? *Yawn*

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But it can emulate all of those systems.
You mean by hacking it? Even so unlike the system I mention Portal will never get its own game solely exist to play games you already can play on PS5.

For me the reason buy any gaming systems, portable or console because it has games I want to play but with Portal it doesn't have any game which already can play it on my PS5.....so that goes any reason for me to even get this thing.

Gamerguy84

Yep it's a solid guess to think they are adding streaming and it also being a PSNOW device.

Seems like it would make perfect sense. Its free sub money. They don't really make money on hardware but make it up on services and software.

I've always believed day 1 it would be cloud capable. It also should have a suite of video service apps. This is barebones compared to what it will be. Funny thing is right now it only does one thing and people that own it are happy with it.

But we all know it’s not, though. It’s an accessory. It’s a controller shell with a screen that streams games from another console. Sony can track it however they want but we all know it’s just a refined Wii U GamePad sold separately for too much money.

In no way shape or form is it a console. It’s not a standalone device that can play games, it requires a stream. Cloud or not, the Portal is solely an accessory. If a device can’t run a game on its own, it’s not a console - plain and simple.

MScarpa

It's not especially weird. Sony are looking into adding cloud streaming support for the Portal. While that means it won't have any dedicated games built for it like a normal console or even a platform/accessory like PSVR2, that would mean it would be a standalone device that people can buy and access games without the need for purchasing a PS5. It'd exist in some sort of hybrid category where it's an accessory and a standalone device.

We know that things like PSVR2 are being tracked, so looks like Sony wants to lump the Portal into a similar hybrid category
WHOOAAA wait so you won't need a PS5 to use this?? I am a PSPlus premium member. I'd love to be able to stream like Gamepass.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, maybe we should just add on other random peripherals while we’re at it? I’d like to see tracking of Switch JoyCons by color scheme.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just imagine what Nintendo's consoles sales would be like when if they combined their dedicated handheld sales back in the day as console.

Wii 100M
DS 200M

Nintendo console sales hit 300M!

Sony used to do this kind of thing back in the Wii days. When Wii was selling like hotcakes, Sony would promote their "family of systems" would outsell Wii. While Wii sales were standalone counts and DS was separate. Sony combined PS2, PS3 and PSP sales into one giant number and promoted it outsold Wii.

Last edited:
It's not just cloud streaming, but potentially more importantly, cloud streaming of digital library games, which absolutely makes this a platform onto its own.

Sony is trying to tackle the issue of not being able to create a PS5 Switch device by pushing for cloud streaming, which will give them greater subscription concentration. This is probably why they increased the price of PS+ and PS+ Premium to be exact. They also confirmed the ability to stream your digital library, which clearly wouldn't make much sense to do on your own console.

This will be the first major stand-alone streaming hardware on the market. It's clear that with the purchase of iSize, Sony is reading their re-entry into streaming.

Imagine next we'll see PS+ App on Sony TVs and then eventually non-Sony TVs and maybe a Streaming stick with Wifi/Ethernet and the PS+ App and a Dual Sense controller (or maybe sold separately).

But again, this is where I criticize the strategy for PS Link. All Sony TVs going forward should come with PS Link built in. Will a dongle even work on most tvs? Probably not without some firmware update. The PS5 Slims should have included PS Link and basically all Sony products moving forward should support PS Link or at least SIE products.

vivftp

Yes, you do.

No, you're wrong. Many folks have used remote play while away from home or even in different cities or countries. The Portal is no different in that regards and folks are already using it away from home. You just need a decent enough wifi setup on both ends, but you can even tether to your phone and it'll work

baphomet

No, you're wrong. Many folks have used remote play while away from home or even in different cities or countries. The Portal is no different in that regards and folks are already using it away from home. You just need a decent enough wifi setup on both ends, but you can even tether to your phone and it'll work

I literally just tested it again.

On the same network you're still getting at least 2-3 frames of latency compared to the display.

For some cinematic games that don't require much accuracy that's fine. For anything requiring timing or skill, it's borderline unplayable.

5G was at least 8-10 frames of lag.

vivftp

I literally just tested it again.

On the same network you're still getting at least 2-3 frames of latency compared to the display.

For some cinematic games that don't require much accuracy that's fine. For anything requiring timing or skill, it's borderline unplayable.

5G was at least 8-10 frames of lag.

Your experience doesn't cover everyone elses experience. Experiences will vary and there are plenty of folks who have played just fine from an external network

baphomet

Your experience doesn't cover everyone elses experience. Experiences will vary and there are plenty of folks who have played just fine from an external network

Well considering the laws of physics are the same for everyone, it just means some people are willing to play games subparly thanks to lag. Whether they understand that or not is a completely different question.

Top Bottom