• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

Do you have any tangible evidence that many people are not going to buy this, or is it a gut feeling? I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum in that this will take the crown from the DualSense Edge to become the best selling accessory (by dollar) in the US, but that's based on my gut feeling.

We know as of 5 years ago that there were over 5 million people using remote play, and that number should have only grown since then with the introduction of more compatible devices that support the feature. The introduction of this device does not mean they aren't also working to expand cloud to more devices, those things are not mutually exclusive. We know that an "aggressive cloud initiative" is planned to be revealed in the coming months, this was said by Jim Ryan earlier this year. We can see what precisely that will entail.

Nice. Yeah, the Z Fold is definitely an exception to the rule in this case in terms of how much usable space you'd have when streaming. 7" should suffice quite nicely.

Of course there are other reasons to get the Portal, like full DualSense capabilities and ergonomics in a handheld form factor. Based on what Sony has told previewers, there should also be a bit less latency when streaming because you'd eliminating the part about the phone/tablet having to communicate with the controller, since it's all built into the Portal. We'll of course have to wait and see just how well it performs once reviewers and the public get their hands on it.

Oh I'm sure part of the reason is also that they want to sell accessories, but that doesn't negate the fact that Bluetooth is laggy dog shit for gaming audio. That's a whole can of worms not worth opening so it's best that they leave it out on the console and its accessories.

It's definitely a gut feeling. For all we know this is going to sell like hotcakes and sausage in Japan and people are going to buy PS5s left and right just to play it with the portal while playing at home.

I just don't think that will be the case and I'd be stunned if we ever get reporting on how well this has sold and I wouldn't be shocked if this is discontinued quietly and barely spoken about within a year or two.

It's not just that they aren't working on supporting other devices, it's what the priority is and how a device is marketed. Marketing this as not being able to support cloud from day 1 is a bad look for it ultimately. Even if it supports it in a year or two, to re-educate the consumerbase on the product is a bigger lift than you realize.

If it wasn't worth opening that can of worms, why do the two leaders in the mobile space both support it?

Reality is you can do remote play on an iphone with bluetooth headset and backbone but can't use bluetooth on this all in one device... it's a bad look and people are going to return it when they realize it won't work with their existing 150-300 dollar headphones.

In reality you're looking at 350-400 dollars to remote play unless you use some cheap wired headphones (do they even come with them?)

ReBurn

Gold Member

The hands-on report from the PlayStation blog:

49I3JW0.jpg

vivftp

It's definitely a gut feeling. For all we know this is going to sell like hotcakes and sausage in Japan and people are going to buy PS5s left and right just to play it with the portal while playing at home.

I just don't think that will be the case and I'd be stunned if we ever get reporting on how well this has sold and I wouldn't be shocked if this is discontinued quietly and barely spoken about within a year or two.

It's not just that they aren't working on supporting other devices, it's what the priority is and how a device is marketed. Marketing this as not being able to support cloud from day 1 is a bad look for it ultimately. Even if it supports it in a year or two, to re-educate the consumerbase on the product is a bigger lift than you realize.

If it wasn't worth opening that can of worms, why do the two leaders in the mobile space both support it?

Reality is you can do remote play on an iphone with bluetooth headset and backbone but can't use bluetooth on this all in one device... it's a bad look and people are going to return it when they realize it won't work with their existing 150-300 dollar headphones.

In reality you're looking at 350-400 dollars to remote play unless you use some cheap wired headphones (do they even come with them?)

From what little I understand, those devices also use various low latency protocols for select supported devices, but the amount of support devices is relatively small compared to the greater total number of BT devices out there. That's the can of worms. One user in that FAQ thread shared info regarding low latency supported devices:

"It's really niche. Apt-X is also proprietary so both ends need to use Qualcomm parts AFAIK. Sennheiser is pretty good with Apt-X support but then both ends need to support it. Also, there are different Apt-X protocols so Apt-X in itself doesn't mean low latency, it needs to be Apt-X Adaptive (which has replaced the earlier Apt-X LL). At that point I can understand why OEM's would just skip paying the Qualcomm royalties and implement their own protocols where they can make sure the whole chain works as it should."

This explains why SIE are going ahead with their own protocol that they can fully control, start to finish to offer low latency lossless audio via PS Link.

Aaron Olive

Yes, and it's not a standard Bluetooth connection. It's a proprietary connection designed for low latency. In other words, not something you're going to find on normal Bluetooth devices out there.
Is there any documentation that proves this?
Because as far I know it’s just standard Bluetooth 5.1.

I'm not saying that it has no right to exist, but it may be more than just a niche product, it could be a failed product as well.

More importantly the resources spent producing this could have gone into producing something with more wide-ranging appeal.
this is a dualsense with a tablet in the middle...i'm sure it was very cheap to make

Why do you think this is going to have a better connection to your PS5?

A direct connect technology has not been confirmed or denied. We do not know if Playstation Link is only for audio

I have three rooms where I could potentially play PS5. I'd probably buy a 2nd PS5 and outfit an extra room rather than a PS5 Portal, that I'm going to need to constantly charge and headphones that I'm going to need to constantly charge with it as well. Just thinking about that sounds like a hassle. If they were smart they would have included some sort of mechanism to charge the earbuds directly with the Portal with one charging cable or dock.

So you're gonna buy another $400 PS5 and TV just because you have to charge they Portal? lol, ok bud. What about the restroom, kitchen or office room?
Also, didn't you post earlier about a Steamdeck and Switch being a better alternative? Both being chargeable devices? I'm inclined to believe that at this point you're just coming up with any negative scenario you can think of to shoot this device down.

You don't have to market it against other platforms, the price places it against other platforms. A 200 dollar accessory is a VERY expensive accessory and at that price point it needs to really perfect a major need and this is going to ultimately be VERY niche for a small number of people.

Sony is marketing this as an ACCESSORY! So it honestly does not matter if YOU think it competes with other platforms. Sony will determine whether or not the ACCESSORY was successful. You say its expensive but in the same breath have absolutely no issue adding 100s of dollars on top of it to get another PS5 or a Steamdeck.......

You can use the same argument against a DS: Edge. Its another controller that $200! Yet it is selling very well.

There is no direct connection to the PS5, it's just remote play, there's nothing special about this device. You're not going to play outside your home, you just aren't. Look up videos of remote play at hotels... it's not good. The further you are from home, the more hops you're dealing with and the worse the experience is going to be.

You have no concrete evidence that there is no direct connection. Also, try not to tell people what they will and wont do. I could care less about videos of people playing at hotels......I know what experiences I have had.

Last edited:

yurinka

It’s in the official blog post from Sony. It doesn’t have Bluetooth at all. The only way to connect wireless headphones is by using their new protocol PlayStation Link.

What I want to know is if this device can connect directly to the PS5 without using wifi (or maybe wifi Direct) when being near the console. I believe the PS Vita was able to connect that way to the PS4 (and/or PS3)?
No, in the PlayStation Blog they don't say if PS Player supports BT or not.

They say both Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore will support PlayStation Link wireless technology to connect them to PS Player or (using USB adapter) to PS5, PC and Mac. They also say Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore also support BT, and they can even be connected to multiple devices at the same time, including one via PS Link and other using Blueetooth, as an example to be connected to both the console and your phone to get calls while playing.

They also mention that the (obviously) the Remote Play connection between PS5 and PS Player is done via wifi.

They also mention that PS Player has an audio jack for wired headsets. But they don't say if PS Player supports BT or not. Also, if it wouldn't support BT you could also use the headset in wired mode or connecting it via BT to the PS5.

I don't remember if it was with Vita or PSP, or if it was with PS4 or PS3, but I remember that long ago you had the option of doing Remote Play with direct connection (for when playing locally next to the console) or via internet (for playing outside home). I may be wrong, but I'd say that at some point Remote Play became available only using internet.

Last edited:
A direct connect technology has not been confirmed or denied. We do not know if Playstation Link is only for audio

So you're gonna buy another $400 PS5 and TV just because you have to charge they Portal? lol, ok bud. What about the restroom, kitchen or office room?
Also, didn't you post earlier about a Steamdeck and Switch being a better alternative? Both being chargeable devices? I'm inclined to believe that at this point you're just coming up with any negative scenario you can think of to shoot this device down.

Sony is marketing this as an ACCESSORY! So it honestly does not matter if YOU think it competes with other platforms. Sony will determine whether or not the ACCESSORY was successful. You say its expensive but in the same breath have absolutely no issue adding 100s of dollars on top of it to get another PS5 or a Steamdeck.......

You can use the same argument against a DS: Edge. Its another controller that $200! Yet it is selling very well.

You have no concrete evidence that there is no direct connection. Also, try not to tell people what they will and wont do. I could care less about videos of people playing at hotels......I know what experiences I have had.

PlayStation Link IS for audio. There was no discussion about needing to use PlayStation Link to use this device. You're stretching.

I've got 2 extra tvs with no gaming systems hooked up to them. I also have a phone and an ipad. I don't need this device and I think it's a bad idea. Both Steamdeck and Switch are chargeable devices that can work entirely offline... Your wifi goes out and you literally can't use this device. You have wifi issues and you can't use this device.

Again, they're marketing it for 200 dollars which puts it up against other devices that are 200 dollars or near 200 dollars. And frankly that's insane.

The Dual Sense edge fits a specific need, but it's functionality is that of a controller. This is a game system that you can play away from the TV and there are much better ways to do that. Are there better ways to control your PS5?

Aaron Olive

If there is, I don't have access to it. This is just the info I've seen shared online for a long time. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to chime in.
Anyway as a strong supporter of Sony the Portal is the most baffling move yet including the Pulse Elites design which look to be designed with even thinner plastic and makes a critical break point even weaker. Had to replace my Pulse headset with the INZONE H9.
8F2KLI8.jpg

2YC7rcm.jpg

Last edited:

Gambit2483

This is such overpriced junk at 200 dollars
No Cloud gaming
No Bluetooth
No 3.5mm jack
No oled
No cellular connectivity
Da fuck are you paying 200 for ?
U can easily add those side mount controls to Ur phone and do exactly what this overpriced peice of junk does
No external speakers killed it for me. I don't always feel like using headphones or earbuds but apparently that's the ONLY way you are going to hear sound from this thing. Nah...this ain't it Sony.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
No, in the PlayStation Blog they don't say if PS Player supports BT or not.

They say both Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore will support PlayStation Link wireless technology to connect them to PS Player or (using USB adapter) to PS5, PC and Mac. They also say Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore also support BT, and they can even be connected to multiple devices at the same time, including one via PS Link and other using Blueetooth, as an example to be connected to both the console and your phone to get calls while playing.

They also mention that the (obviously) the Remote Play connection between PS5 and PS Player is done via wifi.

They also mention that PS Player has an audio jack for wired headsets. But they don't say if PS Player supports BT or not. Also, if it wouldn't support BT you could also use the headset in wired mode or connecting it via BT to the PS5.

I don't remember if it was with Vita or PSP, or if it was with PS4 or PS3, but I remember that long ago you had the option of doing Remote Play with direct connection (for when playing locally next to the console) or via internet (for playing outside home). I may be wrong, but I'd say that at some point Remote Play became available only using internet.
Yeah I vaguely remember something like that being the case. I think now Remote Play on PS5 will not try a true direct connection between PS devices, but it will first try local network and then try remote internet if no local devices are found. As far as I'm aware an external internet connection is not required if your local wifi network is working and the PS5 is discoverable (and the link has previously been made).

Depends on what your metric of success looks like, for me, it’ll work as I can bring it to my job and play my library of games that I own, and not just the ones offered by a subscription service.

I’m sure once project Cronos materializes, the portal will get that functionality.

PlayStation Link IS for audio. There was no discussion about needing to use PlayStation Link to use this device. You're stretching.

I've got 2 extra tvs with no gaming systems hooked up to them. I also have a phone and an ipad. I don't need this device and I think it's a bad idea. Both Steamdeck and Switch are chargeable devices that can work entirely offline... Your wifi goes out and you literally can't use this device. You have wifi issues and you can't use this device.

Again, they're marketing it for 200 dollars which puts it up against other devices that are 200 dollars or near 200 dollars. And frankly that's insane.

The Dual Sense edge fits a specific need, but it's functionality is that of a controller. This is a game system that you can play away from the TV and there are much better ways to do that. Are there better ways to control your PS5?

Sigh...feels like I'm going in circles. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I've just had a eureka moment 😳 ok so "PS-LINK" is Sony's new wireless protocol created to get low latency lossless sound. The wireless earbuds base acts as a charging station/ps link base while the headphones come with the usb adapter for the ps-link connection to the headphones and PS5. The PS Portal has the ps-link already built in for a seamless low latency lossless connection to the headphones and earbuds. Essentially it all boils down to being playstations new wireless protocol going forward so they'll do away with the usb adapter by next-gen similar to what Xbox is doing with the difference being this solution theoretically would be more powerful by offering up wireless lossless audio. I fully expect ps-link will be built into the PS5 Pro.

I thought this might confuse people.

The Vita isn't selling for 250 dollars today, it came out over 11 years ago. Would the Vita still be selling for 250 today (no in fact it dropped to 200 dollars just a year later). If they kept making that exact product through to today how much would it cost?

Over a decade later we're actually getting less tech for a lot more money.

They're two completely different products.

Today we can get a Switch for much cheaper than a Vita. So we are getting more tech for less money.

They're two completely different products.

Today we can get a Switch for much cheaper than a Vita. So we are getting more tech for less money.

You're actually helping to make my point.

The Switch is more tech for less money, but this is less tech for more money...

The Vita could do remote play. All this can do is remote play.

Aaron Olive

Hmm 🧐 i wonder if Portal is just removing the middle connection to server that the remote play apps require, Remote play requires you to sign into your account and connection over the web to the server’s, where as Portal might be oh I see the PS5 on your home network which = P2P connection. it would explain why there’s an experience similar to playing local in the lab test that IGN and many YouTube channels experienced on their fly out.

In theory the PlayStation team could update the remote play apps to replicate the P2P functionality of the device but I doubt they will.

So many interesting questions as to how this works is intriguing. 🤔

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Niche product for sure, but honestly that niche might be bigger than we expect.
Most people have their playstations hooked up to their main TV, and unless you're living by yourself, other people are gonna be using the TV most of the time.

The reason sony is doing this instead of PSP2 is because they don't have to dedicate developers to this. That's been history what caused problems for both sony and nintendo.
They'd have to split up their developers causing either their handleld (psp/vita) or console (gamecube/wii/wiiU) to be neglected.

Switch is a portable with a TV output, and for playstation, their console can now output to a handheld.
Developers only have to support one platform.

Aaron Olive

Niche product for sure, but honestly that niche might be bigger than we expect.
Most people have their playstations hooked up to their main TV, and unless you're living by yourself, other people are gonna be using the TV most of the time.

The reason sony is doing this instead of PSP2 is because they don't have to dedicate developers to this. That's been history what caused problems for both sony and nintendo.
They'd have to split up their developers causing either their handleld (psp/vita) or console (gamecube/wii/wiiU) to be neglected.

Switch is a portable with a TV output, and for playstation, their console can now output to a handheld.
Developers only have to support one platform.
Yeah as a Company this would be an investment risk which I completely understand in this market.

As a Consumer sometimes people just want what they want and don’t think about the first.

Last edited:
Have we discussed that the Pulse 3D headset seemingly won't work with this thing? Which is wild.

How long until Sony officially discontinues the Pulse 3D? They're still actively selling it on PS Direct... with no warning that this will no longer be supported across the PlayStation ecosystem...

It’s not a similar product

Neither the vita or switch is capable of playing ps5 quality games

This plays PS5 quality games but literally on reliably/potentially reliably in your own home...

Vita and Switch gave you way more opportunities to play and the Vita if it were still supported today and the game had the appropriate keys would have no problem remote playing PS5 games...

Rob_27

Have we discussed that the Pulse 3D headset seemingly won't work with this thing? Which is wild.

How long until Sony officially discontinues the Pulse 3D? They're still actively selling it on PS Direct... with no warning that this will no longer be supported across the PlayStation ecosystem...
I know. I bought this and its total bollocks it won't support it. Apart from plugging it in with a cable.

I thought I saw it had small speakers. If it doesn't that is one mother fucker bad design flaw. And Sony believe people will just buy the new buds or headset. Hang on dickwads I've already got a pulse 3d ffs.

I know. I bought this and its total bollocks it won't support it. Apart from plugging it in with a cable.

I thought I saw it had small speakers. If it doesn't that is one mother fucker bad design flaw. And Sony believe people will just buy the new buds or headset. Hang on dickwads I've already got a pulse 3d ffs.

It has speakers and it has a microphone jack, but I think it's pretty poor of Sony to not have enough ecosystem foresight to have a product that just launched 3 years ago still work across its product line.

I do think the Pulse Elites will replace the Pulse 3Ds and that is why they're only 150 rather than 200-250 which would be more in line with the Maxwells which are at 300.

But that is to say nothing on the Inzone headsets. They just released last year... also don't support PlayStation Link...

Their product and marketing teams are all over the place.

Ultimately, I think this thing WILL support cloud gaming, but only once Project Cronos officially launches. They just started Cloud streaming in 4K for PS5 games earlier this month. My guess is that either this product WILL launch with cloud capabilities at the end of the day or shortly afterward.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yes, and it's not a standard Bluetooth connection. It's a proprietary connection designed for low latency. In other words, not something you're going to find on normal Bluetooth devices out there.
Kinda like the BT aptX LL codec, also design for low latency and quite common now.

vivftp

It has speakers and it has a microphone jack, but I think it's pretty poor of Sony to not have enough ecosystem foresight to have a product that just launched 3 years ago still work across its product line.

I do think the Pulse Elites will replace the Pulse 3Ds and that is why they're only 150 rather than 200-250 which would be more in line with the Maxwells which are at 300.

But that is to say nothing on the Inzone headsets. They just released last year... also don't support PlayStation Link...

Their product and marketing teams are all over the place.

Ultimately, I think this thing WILL support cloud gaming, but only once Project Cronos officially launches. They just started Cloud streaming in 4K for PS5 games earlier this month. My guess is that either this product WILL launch with cloud capabilities at the end of the day or shortly afterward.

Now you're just looking for things to complain about. This is a brand new protocol, of course previously released headsets aren't going to support it. This marks the milestone in their ecosystem where they unify everything under PS Link going forward. It's gotta start somewhere an it makes sense there is a hard cutoff line.

Now you're just looking for things to complain about. This is a brand new protocol, of course previously released headsets aren't going to support it. This marks the milestone in their ecosystem where they unify everything under PS Link going forward. It's gotta start somewhere an it makes sense there is a hard cutoff line.

That cutoff you're referring to should have been the start of the generation. This isn't some magical new technology, it's just a proprietary 2.4ghz wireless connection and we'll see if the new PS5 model implements this out of the gate. My guess is it will.

The reality is they're going to license this to headset manufacturers who want to put out "PlayStation" "compatible" headsets. It's just a way for Sony to charge manufacturers like 5-15 dollars per headset and even if consumers buy non-sony headsets they'll still make more money.

They created the space for this by not allowing bluetooth headphones to work directly with their system and now they're going to run to the bank with it. We'll see how many if any manufacturers run to support PS Link or not.

But again people who bought the Pulse 3D headset or the Inzone headsets, i.e. Sony official branded headsets will be on the outside looking in. Staggering that you don't see that one anti-consumer move doesn't justify another. They've created this situation inorganically and they've created the cutoff for support inorganically as well.

Imagine a scenario where PS5 supports bluetooth headsets out of the gate but then Sony comes out with PS Link in all new hardware. A large percentage of people would just utilize the bluetooth and the manufacturers certainly would as well. But now manufacturers are going to have to ask themselves if they want to create a dongle for every headset they make going forward or if they'll adopt PS Link and the answer is obvious for them to probably adopt PS Link instead. Mind you these headsets will still be bluetooth compatible because they have to be...

I don't get some of the criticism. I also see a lot of entirely false comments being made like no headphone jack, no speakers, being forced to use one of two proprietary headsets, etc.

1. It's an accessory, and not a "flagship" device like the PSP or Vita was. It's not meant to be a standalone device.
2. The people calling it DOA are forgetting that another accessory releasing at the same price is the best selling accessory of the year I believe.
3. You can use any wired headphones you want, and while I would love to have bluetooth we don't have it on any console right now besides the Switch. PS5 and Xbox doesn't have bluetooth and Xbox even requires proprietary wireless connection but I don't see as many people complain about that besides being a much more mainstream product.
4. Price. I don't think $200 is a terrible price. It's the highest most people would pay for a console accessory. It's also a niche product. Sony is almost guaranteed to know that it won't be selling a shit ton of these things and even if they priced it at say $149 which seems like a lot of people seem to want it wouldn't change much in sales. Sony knows that streaming is important in the long run and want to make sure they have a device ready just as they did with VR. PSVR doesn't sell gangbusters either
5. We don't know enough details either. They haven't even really introduced PS5 game streaming to consoles yet either so it's possible that the feature could be added in later.

I get that people don't like streaming, and I do think it's stupid that it doesn't support PS+ streaming but overall I don't think it's terrible. I'll be looking out for more reviews because I'm interested but not sold entirely on it. Luckily I have 1000down Fiber so I shouldn't run into many issues if I do choose to jump in.

Last edited:
I don't get some of the criticism. I also see a lot of entirely false comments being made like no headphone jack, no speakers, being forced to use one of two proprietary headsets, etc.

1. It's an accessory, and not a "flagship" device like the PSP or Vita was. It's not meant to be a standalone device.
2. The people calling it DOA are forgetting that another accessory releasing at the same price is the best selling accessory of the year I believe.
3. You can use any wired headphones you want, and while I would love to have bluetooth we don't have it on any console right now besides the Switch. PS5 and Xbox doesn't have bluetooth and Xbox even requires proprietary wireless connection but I don't see as many people complain about that besides being a much more mainstream product.
4. Price. I don't think $200 is a terrible price. It's the highest most people would pay for a console accessory. It's also a niche product. Sony is almost guaranteed to know that it won't be selling a shit ton of these things and even if they priced it at say $149 which seems like a lot of people seem to want it wouldn't change much in sales. Sony knows that streaming is important in the long run and want to make sure they have a device ready just as they did with VR. PSVR doesn't sell gangbusters either
5. We don't know enough details either. They haven't even really introduced PS5 game streaming to consoles yet either so it's possible that the feature could be added in later.

I get that people don't like streaming, and I do think it's stupid that it doesn't support PS+ streaming but overall I don't think it's terrible. I'll be looking out for more reviews because I'm interested but not sold entirely on it. Luckily I have 1000down Fiber so I shouldn't run into many issues if I do choose to jump in.

1. Not being a console doesn't shield it from criticism
2. The DSE has a defined market. I don't think anyone was saying it was going to be DOA when it was released, why do you think this is different?
3. No one wants to be forced to use wired headphones as someone stated the Vita could even pair with bluetooth. Sony, Microsoft, and until recently I believe Nintendo made concerted efforts to prevent the use of BT headsets for their own profit. We shouldn't cheer these moves on.
4. So you recognize that it is niche in one hand but not the other?
5. They have started to demo it actually

1. Not being a console doesn't shield it from criticism
2. The DSE has a defined market. I don't think anyone was saying it was going to be DOA when it was released, why do you think this is different?
3. No one wants to be forced to use wired headphones as someone stated the Vita could even pair with bluetooth. Sony, Microsoft, and until recently I believe Nintendo made concerted efforts to prevent the use of BT headsets for their own profit. We shouldn't cheer these moves on.
4. So you recognize that it is niche in one hand but not the other?
5. They have started to demo it actually
I’m not saying it shields it from judgement. I’m saying a bunch of people are judging it as if it’s a standalone device and not an accessory. Some people just don’t like it which is fine. You don’t have to buy it.

Plenty of people complained about the price of the edge and said it was a waste of money which obviously isn’t true for a LOT of people.

I wasn’t defending the decision as much as saying that in response to a lot of criticism coming from fake news about it not being able to use anything but the link compatible headsets.

I don’t even understand what you are trying to get at with the fourth one. Both the Portal and PSVR are niche products. Doesn’t mean that pricing the Portal lower will result in a complete change sales wise.

The streaming things has only gone out to very select members. What I’m saying is they aren’t going to announce it has functionality with something they haven’t opened up outside of the ps5. That streaming doesn’t work like that on pc or ps4 or iOS or android and this runs android so until they are ready to announce it we are clueless whether or not it would come to portal.

wait, this thing doesn't have an oled? lol.

lmao even.

I'll wait for the pro model to pair with my ps5 pro because I'm a pro gamer and not paying $200 for an lcd remote play screen rofl

I’m not saying it shields it from judgement. I’m saying a bunch of people are judging it as if it’s a standalone device and not an accessory. Some people just don’t like it which is fine. You don’t have to buy it.

Plenty of people complained about the price of the edge and said it was a waste of money which obviously isn’t true for a LOT of people.

I wasn’t defending the decision as much as saying that in response to a lot of criticism coming from fake news about it not being able to use anything but the link compatible headsets.

I don’t even understand what you are trying to get at with the fourth one. Both the Portal and PSVR are niche products. Doesn’t mean that pricing the Portal lower will result in a complete change sales wise.

The streaming things has only gone out to very select members. What I’m saying is they aren’t going to announce it has functionality with something they haven’t opened up outside of the ps5. That streaming doesn’t work like that on pc or ps4 or iOS or android and this runs android so until they are ready to announce it we are clueless whether or not it would come to portal.

While not a standalone system, it's very flawed to not have access to cloud gaming, which shouldn't be a technical limitation for this hardware. It's bad enough that for 200 dollars it can't be used in the way most portables would, but to not be able to access cloud gaming and just remote for the price is a head-scratcher.

People drop 250 dollars on SCUF controllers, so not sure where you saw plenty of people complaining about the price, except that maybe it isn't as feature rich as SCUF controllers in the same price point, but that isn't to say it is DOA but rather an inferior product.

I don't quite understand.

200 dollars without cloud gaming and without bluetooth support make it far more niche that it would have otherwise been. At 150 with bluetooth support and with cloud support, this would probably have a pretty decent market. Eventually the bluetooth matter will resolve itself, the price of this will drop, and I think it will eventually have cloud support. I also think we'll eventually see an OLED model depending on how the ultimate market is for this.

It hasn't released yet nor have they discussed a roadmap for it. That's opening it up for bad press which Sony seems to revel in lately. It's easy to say we're looking at opening this up to cloud gaming in the near future or distant future, but instead you announce it to bad press and it gets criticism (valid criticism)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have no idea why some folks are defending the fact that you can’t use your bluetooth headset, on this. Nintendo was crucified here for not having bluetooth headset support for Switch at launch, but its all “bluetooth have latency so no bluetooth is good” suddenly.

Home consoles not having bluetooth support is fine because you’re predominantly using it at home with TV audio.

This is a portable device you’re mostly using in noisier environments or when you have no access to the TV. Tablets, smartphones, Nintendo Switch and other PC handhelds already have bluetooth headsets for more than a decade. For folks who have switched entirely to ear buds for these devices, will have to pack a wired headset now just because Sony wants to cut corner here.

Last edited:

avin

With the drift issues I always end up having on controllers, and it seems to me especially Sony controllers, there's no way I'm getting a controller plus anything in one device. Drift on something like this would really, really piss me off.

avin

Synless

I have no idea why some folks are defending the fact that you can’t use your bluetooth headset, on this. Nintendo was crucified here for not having bluetooth headset support for Switch at launch, but its all “bluetooth have latency so no bluetooth is good” suddenly.

Home consoles not having bluetooth support is fine because you’re predominantly using it at home with TV audio.

This is a portable device you’re mostly using in noisier environments or when you have no access to the TV. Tablets, smartphones, Nintendo Switch and other PC handhelds already have bluetooth headsets for more than a decade. For folks who have switched entirely to ear buds for these devices, will have to pack a wired headset now just because Sony wants to cut corner here.
I’m sure as shit not. It still pisses me off I can’t use my Bluetooth headphones on PlayStation or Xbox Regular consoles.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Depends on what your metric of success looks like, for me, it’ll work as I can bring it to my job and play my library of games that I own, and not just the ones offered by a subscription service.

I’m sure once project Cronos materializes, the portal will get that functionality.
you need to play Knack at work too? I guess the freedom to practice one’s religion is a basic human right

What an awkward looking device, can see thing begin cracked and broken in no time, dose not look like it will survive 2 drops 😂.

Last edited:

vivftp

That cutoff you're referring to should have been the start of the generation. This isn't some magical new technology, it's just a proprietary 2.4ghz wireless connection and we'll see if the new PS5 model implements this out of the gate. My guess is it will.

The reality is they're going to license this to headset manufacturers who want to put out "PlayStation" "compatible" headsets. It's just a way for Sony to charge manufacturers like 5-15 dollars per headset and even if consumers buy non-sony headsets they'll still make more money.

They created the space for this by not allowing bluetooth headphones to work directly with their system and now they're going to run to the bank with it. We'll see how many if any manufacturers run to support PS Link or not.

But again people who bought the Pulse 3D headset or the Inzone headsets, i.e. Sony official branded headsets will be on the outside looking in. Staggering that you don't see that one anti-consumer move doesn't justify another. They've created this situation inorganically and they've created the cutoff for support inorganically as well.

Imagine a scenario where PS5 supports bluetooth headsets out of the gate but then Sony comes out with PS Link in all new hardware. A large percentage of people would just utilize the bluetooth and the manufacturers certainly would as well. But now manufacturers are going to have to ask themselves if they want to create a dongle for every headset they make going forward or if they'll adopt PS Link and the answer is obvious for them to probably adopt PS Link instead. Mind you these headsets will still be bluetooth compatible because they have to be...

So the cutoff was many years before the tech even existed and while it was still in development. SMH.

Yeah, keep running alt universe fantasy scenarios. I'm sure it's fun when you do that with the end goal of achieving whatever you think is the "right" thing.

Those people bought their headsets with the purpose of using them on their PS5. They didn't even know the Portal existed. They (myself included) are still getting what we paid for. We were not promised future compatibility with new hardware. Your moral grandstanding doesn't hold water.

Top Bottom