• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Was that good?

It took some learning to get used to it but yeah I enjoyed it, It made playing forza 4 less of a chore and more exciting, the green lights on the wheel would flash and light up as you over-revved and the triggers were nice and wide compared to the 360 pad triggers, good quality too.

If you had something you could mount it too to hold it still but allow it to still rotate it was pretty much a portable racing wheel setup.

Thinking back I also used it briefly with F1 2010 and Horizon 2, F1 felt fine but horizon 2 was a little too fast with narrow winding roads to feel like you could respond in time, much better as a pad game.

GHG

I get 2:41 with Automatic, ABS On, STM and TCS On with Normal Steering on the Pad.

I use Automatic for my Wheel as hitting the paddles at the right time would be too much to think about haha. I'm swamped as it is!

But now, it's hard to use Manual with a Pad for me.

To get better times in wet weather you really need to use manual gearing. Upshifting early in certain sections to reduce the amount of torque (and wheelspin) is key.

zero86r

Looks like I'll be spending a bit of time with photomode, I haven't done so really since FM3 entering the weekly photo comps. Y'all are posting some truly awesome images.

For those of you who play with controller, do you use "normal" or "simulation" steering?

I use simulation steering in FM5 as well, but switched to normal for the FM6 demo when using a controller. Too twitchy for me, but I'll wait to see how it feels with tunes that suit me.

danowat

Banned
I just didn't find simulation steering in FM5 fun on a pad, so use normal, and I use normal in FM6.

It's not perfect, there is a bit too much steering damping, but it's better than the way you get uncontrollable tank slappers with the sim steering.

SarBear

I just didn't find simulation steering in FM5 fun on a pad, so use normal, and I use normal in FM6.

It's not perfect, there is a bit too much steering damping, but it's better than the way you get uncontrollable tank slappers with the sim steering.

The tank slapping doesn't seem to be AS BAD in Forza 6. I prefer sim steering; i've deluded myself into believing i can feel more tension when enabled.

Didn't you say you could drift like a demon in Forza 5 with simulation steering on a gamepad and I was super impressed??
(It was in the PCARS thread I think)

Noobcraft

x1OGg4.png

u8ecLm.png

xuCaiU.png

V7hF61.png

fgcjxW.png

ga9MYP.png

I used to be very "no assists ever" - for years in fact. But recently I've realised having fun is more important than measuring ones manhood (as if any videogame could!). And given lots of racing uses TCS and ABS I softened my approach.

Over the last week or two I've finished the last few FM5 career races I hadn't done. I used normal steering and on newer cars TCS and ABS. What struck me was that I was more involved in the races and felt more able to up the AI level I was thinking more of racecraft than just driving.

I still play with assists off when I'm hot lapping and just playing around, but racing I am more pragmatic approach. And I'm having more fun.

I also ditched the HUD. Removing the map has made me pay much more attention to the track. Though I do keep the RPM counter on when there's no dashboard gear display because otherwise I am such an idiot I will put the car into reverse by mistake.

MouldyK

I used to be very "no assists ever" - for years in fact. But recently I've realised having fun is more important than measuring ones manhood (as if any videogame could!). And given lots of racing uses TCS and ABS I softened my approach.

Over the last week or two I've finished the last few FM5 career races I hadn't done. I used normal steering and on newer cars TCS and ABS. What struck me was that I was more involved in the races and felt more able to up the AI level I was thinking more of racecraft than just driving.

I still play with assists off when I'm hot lapping and just playing around, but racing I am more pragmatic approach. And I'm having more fun.

I also ditched the HUD. Removing the map has made me pay much more attention to the track. Though I do keep the RPM counter on when there's no dashboard gear display because otherwise I am such an idiot I will put the car into reverse by mistake.

I like ditching the HUD in racing games, except like you, I also leave the Speedometer on when not in Dashboard Camera.

However i'm feeling what with puddles and the steering feeling weird for me in rainy conditions, I might ditch my "Manual Only" approach and go Automatic for races now. Like you said, fun is better.

We are the problem with Forza! Casuals right here, guys! :p

I knew the cars were never touching the ground!

W.S.

For those of you who play with controller, do you use "normal" or "simulation" steering?

I switched to simulation in F5 and found it to really make the cars feel more alive and I liked it. In this demo I'm struggling though, maybe it's been too long since I last played Forza...

I usually go simulation for the reasons you stated but my overall configuration for the controller is never fully automatic or fully manual.

As an example I never go for manual gear shifting so that may hurt me in some areas but on the whole I do fine with it and I don't need rewind since that feels like cheating and I don't need brake lines since I'd rather just gauge that naturally. Turning off stuff like that easily increases payouts without affecting the handling but when t comes to that I usually go for the middle ground between full control and automatic.

Jube3

Awesome job G Rom, those pictures look great. I still use your hot air balloon shot from a couple years ago as a wallpaper.

MilkyJoe

I'm confused... I played the three races on the demo and it asked me to choose which to buy, so I turned it off. Where and how are these photos coming from???

carl32

Banned
How accurate are the cars in Forza 6 compared to real life in accelerating, braking and their weight etc. I have a 2014 Golf R (manual) and it doesn't go above 60 mph in 2nd gear.

How accurate are the cars in Forza 6 compared to real life in accelerating, braking and their weight etc. I have a 2014 Golf R (manual) and it doesn't go above 60 mph in 2nd gear.

Says at the beginning the cars are pre-tuned to be around the same PI as each other.

Well I think it does.

G Rom

Glad you guys liked the photos ! :)

Awesome job G Rom, those pictures look great. I still use your hot air balloon shot from a couple years ago as a wallpaper.

Nice ! Hopefully I'll be able to top that in FM6 !

Here are some more of the Scuderia :

mobile.20gpu3n.jpg

mobile.21qau2j.jpg

mobile.22tcuq1.jpg

mobile.23jruag.jpg

mobile.24l2ube.jpg

Something completely different :

mobile.26l9urb.jpg

mobile.28uxumo.jpg

And finally, one of the GT :

mobile.25lhuur.jpg

You can be very sure, that the gear ratios for stock cars are accurate.
In the demo the reason obviously is that it's a tuned car and there was either a cam-shaft tuning upgrade applied or the car got an adjustable gear box. But if it were stock and still be off, then it could only be down to different versions (US, EU, J) or the engine rev limiter in Forza going too generously into the red zone.

Turn 10 (claim to) even double and at times triple check the data they are given from manufacturers by checking supplier part data and car magazine tests. They have a "research department" and library room for that.
Sometimes the 0-60 acceleration values shown in Forza are slightly off compared with original car catalogs, that's because Turn 10 doesn't bother to put the values in, they are calculated from their powertrain/tyre/etc. data and are almost always accurate, maybe more accurate than what is claimed in the catalogs.

Of course their research has limits. Aero is problematic for cars from manufacturers that don't like to work together closely with the video game industry and cars with modern computer assisted chassis that treat the adjustable suspension, e-axle-differentials and center-differentials as well as steering and braking as a vector system (your Golf R does that too) weren't simulated well in previous forza games (I'd say "not at all" but Dan Greenawalt claimed otherwise in interviews).

carl32

Banned
You can be very sure, that the gear ratios for stock cars are accurate.
In the demo the reason obviously is that it's a tuned car and there was either a cam-shaft tuning upgrade applied or the car got an adjustable gear box. But if it were stock and still be off, then it could only be down to different versions (US, EU, J) or the engine rev limiter in Forza going too generously into the red zone.

Turn 10 (claim to) even double and at times triple check the data they are given from manufacturers by checking supplier part data and car magazine tests. They have a "research department" and library room for that.
Sometimes the 0-60 acceleration values shown in Forza are slightly off compared with original car catalogs, that's because Turn 10 doesn't bother to put the values in, they are calculated from their powertrain/tyre/etc. data and are almost always accurate, maybe more accurate than what is claimed in the catalogs.

Of course their research has limits. Aero is problematic for cars from manufacturers that don't like to work together closely with the video game industry and cars with modern computer assisted chassis that treat the adjustable suspension, e-axle-differentials and center-differentials as well as steering and braking as a vector system (your Golf R does that too) weren't simulated well in previous forza games (I'd say "not at all" but Dan Greenawalt claimed otherwise in interviews).

Yes i forgot about them being tuned, i used to have a R32 and from what i remember the max speed in gears used to be very similar in previous Forzas from what i remember and i will compare a stock 2014 Golf R in Forza when i get it out of curiosity.

Yes i forgot about them being tuned, i used to have a R32 and from what i remember the max speed in gears used to be very similar in previous Forzas from what i remember and i will compare a stock 2014 Golf R in Forza when i get it out of curiosity.

By the way... the newest Golf R is clocked with 8:14 on the Nürburgring Nordschleife... just saying. If you want to check the FM5-realism and have a good challenge, maybe try to come close to that (they usually use better tyres for those lap times, but slicks aren't allowed) ;)

MouldyK

Something i've seen in videos is that you get the same amount of Payout whether you finish 1st or 24th...

Maybe they thought that would be good since instead of the Medal System, we are having Objectives instead, such as "Finish in Top 3 or Restart the Race".

Sort of like a way of going "You drove the same amount you would have if you won...but you lost! So do it again and we'll give you the same payout, but win this time unless you want to retry the Race!"

Opinions, my Single Player racers?

I use simulation steering in FM5 as well, but switched to normal for the FM6 demo when using a controller. Too twitchy for me, but I'll wait to see how it feels with tunes that suit me.

Yeah, it's like it's become more twitchy than before. But I'm not certain until I've tried more cars. I'm glad it's not just me though.

I usually go simulation for the reasons you stated but my overall configuration for the controller is never fully automatic or fully manual.

As an example I never go for manual gear shifting so that may hurt me in some areas but on the whole I do fine with it and I don't need rewind since that feels like cheating and I don't need brake lines since I'd rather just gauge that naturally. Turning off stuff like that easily increases payouts without affecting the handling but when t comes to that I usually go for the middle ground between full control and automatic.

I personally favour manual shifting (without clutch), not because I'm chasing those extra seconds on my times but because I enjoy the added level of control. Being able to use it to control slides in particular.

I normally play with braking-line only (I sometimes turn it off, but never use full guidelines as I find that distracting), traction-control and stability management off, anti lock braking on, rewind on (yeah, it feels like cheating but I like having the option always available should I cock it up near the finishline).

With Forza Horizon I play with automatic shifting though, because I want it to be more arcade-y.

J3ffro

Thursday cannot come soon enough and this thread isn't helping. One play through on the demo was enough.

I'm curious, am I the only one debating buying an Elite Controller for Forza 6?

Obviously, I'd prefer a wheel, but a few years ago I bought a Fanatec GT2 wheel and clubsport pedals (and stand of course) for Forza 4 - which doesn't work with the Xbone. So I can either spend $300-400 on a new wheel set up, which both options (Thrustmaster and Mad Catz) are big steps down from what I've been using. The other option is to spend ~$1000-1200 on the new Fanatec set up and that's just not going to happen. My current wheel will work with Project Cars on the PS4, and that's about it. Thanks Microsoft, really did me a solid there.

My thinking on the Elite is the supposed better sticks and triggers, plus the paddles on the back could act like sequential shifters - plus its an upgraded controller that I could use for my eventual Fallout 4/Battlefront/Just Cause 3 purchases. Is this insane?

Top Bottom