• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Sephzilla

Is Bowser In A Clown Car supposed to be taking like 50 hits until he dies (I'm using SMB 3 style right now, by the way)? I know actual SMB 3 Bowser also takes a ton of fireballs to defeat, but this makes what looked like it might be a fun boss encounter tough as nails. I was expecting him to go down after only a couple of hits Super Mario World style. :-/

Bowser's HP in Mario Maker is... weird. Like he goes down reasonably quick to fireballs, but if you try hitting him with Bob-ombs (what he throws in the clown car) he takes an eternity to beat.

I've thrown together a few levels and would like some feedback for future reference.

92D5-0000-0025-608D "underground lol"

712B-0000-0034-89CE "Bowser's Coemdy Castle"

26F2-0000-003D-ADA0 "Stiletto Hop"

I think the last two are decent enough, the first is a little meh. I have another level uploaded but it was just fooling around with a bunch of random tools and it's not that great at all. I'm going for levels that are reasonable, and not just a ton of nonsense on the screen. I'm gonna spend some time playing hours guys' levels right now and will report back with some feedback.

Inspired by that SMB3 vertical World 7 stage but with some different ideas, here is Vertical Pipeworks: 1415-0000-003E-3619. Please give it a spin and offer feedback if you have the time. :) Thank you in advance!

Oidisco

Oh god it's finally done!

The Forgotten Fortress:
483C-0000-003E-38A7

wiiu_screenshot_gamepx3ozg.jpg

I had a lot of fun making it at first, but once the block limitations started it completely ruined it for me. It really shows in the final section of the Fortress which was slapped together simply due not having a single spare block left.

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

The Wonderful 1-1
C86E-0000-003E-23FC
WVW69iY_c-cU9h4uhS

So here is my take on a 1-1 for a new Mario game. Not so easy to create something so simple that is still interesting to play.
I tried my best to teach newcomers all the important mechanics, give some reward for using these mechanics and make it speedrunnable on multiple paths for expert players (a lot of enemy placement optimization went into that).

I'm curious to learn what you all think about this and can't wait to try out the 1-1's you create, GAF.

Winner by pun only. (Quoting so I can play later!)

Bowser's HP in Mario Maker is... weird. Like he goes down reasonably quick to fireballs, but if you try hitting him with Bob-ombs (what he throws in the clown car) he takes an eternity to beat.
Thanks for the info, I was working on a setup where you use Goomba's shoe to defeat him, but it's downright obscenely hard. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I made this one last night. I wanted to use the bombs in a creative way and I think I succeeded. First you have to learn to jump on a spring, then use bombs to clear the way, then some more jumping and in the end you have to combine the bomb and jump skills.

Also I think about five 1ups are hidden and an there is an alternative path in the last sub world.

Super Bomberman Bros
80D8-0000-0038-82E3
WVW69iYzYqIrPUB3qk

(I wanted to name it Mr Driller Bros... but I figured the bombs might make it more like Bomberman... I dunno.. maybe I had to call it Super Minecraft Bros)

I liked the idea behind this but I didn't like the jump in the first section which, although optional, was too hard to do consistently (for me anyway) and didn't even give you a decent reward.

Then, twice in a row, I got stuck in the first big bombing section. No bombs were spawning from above and I couldn't get back up to them or to the ones below.

So I gave up!

Xenoboy

I'm currently making my submission level for the community thingy. I'm nowhere near being finished yet, as I am still waiting for sub-worlds to unlock for me. I have a pretty neat idea in how I'm going to use it.

I might change to SMW theme and make a whole new level instead. If I do that, I'll change level theme too, since I'm using the plains theme right now.

Hope the ones of you doing it too are doing some great stuff :}

Oh, and how do you change your cursor? I'm doing what the internet is saying, but can't find out how. :/

PSqueak

Banned
Is Bowser In A Clown Car supposed to be taking like 50 hits until he dies (I'm using SMB 3 style right now, by the way)? I know actual SMB 3 Bowser also takes a ton of fireballs to defeat, but this makes what looked like it might be a fun boss encounter tough as nails. I was expecting him to go down after only a couple of hits Super Mario World style. :-/

Dunno about the clown car, but in SMW style he dies at the 20th galoomba thrown at his face, it's likely that he can take 20 or so bob-ombs too.

DarkKyo

This was really fun. Challenging, but not stupid anywhere apart from one part... Can you actually make it past the double saws without getting hit? I might just suck, but even a short press jump wasn't enough to clear it.

This is the longest one I played too, shame there's no checkpoints in the game since you get a little buggered if you make one mistake. But enjoyed it overall!

Thank you so much for playing, and for the feedback! There's a decent amount of saws in it so I'm not sure which one you mean. Perhaps the room with the two saw tracks on top of each other? I've done runs where I don't get hit by the saws, but they can indeed be troublesome. I'd kill to be able to make a check point, maybe where the ghost house portion starts. It's dumb that the game doesn't support them :/

Zero148

I've thrown together a few levels and would like some feedback for future reference.

92D5-0000-0025-608D "underground lol"

712B-0000-0034-89CE "Bowser's Coemdy Castle"

26F2-0000-003D-ADA0 "Stiletto Hop"

Played your last two levels an liked them. Didn't beat the castle one (I also didn't see the comedy xD) and I think you could give the player one or two power ups more, especially before facing bowser (maybe I have just missed them).

The second one was fun, but a little bit on the easy side (not ngative if it was indended as such)

Hasney

Thank you so much for playing, and for the feedback! There's a decent amount of saws in it so I'm not sure which one you mean. Perhaps the room with the two saw tracks on top of each other? I've done runs where I don't get hit by the saws, but they can indeed be troublesome. I'd kill to be able to make a check point, maybe where the ghost house portion starts. It's dumb that the game doesn't support them :/

Yeah, thems the saws. Was still usually powered up by that point though so wasn't too much of an issue at least!

RagnarokX

Okay. So now the level comes in two flavors:

Normal (4569-0000-0038-8CF2)
vt00i9r.jpg

Easy (E097-0000-003E-3B40)
8aL09bK.jpg

In the easy version I took out 1 of the munchers and made the vine 1 tile taller. Now you don't even have to use the vine at all. The ceiling above the saw is 1 tile higher. There is a bill blaster dispensing infinite fire flowers on the left side.

Played your last two levels an liked them. Didn't beat the castle one (I also didn't see the comedy xD) and I think you could give the player one or two power ups more, especially before facing bowser (maybe I have just missed them).

The second one was fun, but a little bit on the easy side (not ngative if it was indended as such)

I have a problem remembering to place power ups, which is something my roommate reminds me of when I have her play levels I put together. I probably don't take into account that I'm better at Mario than most people, lol.

The stiletto hop was an attempt to make something that's not terribly difficult but would still be interesting to a Mario player who isn't an expert

Thanks for the feedback!

Teppic

I'm just going post this one last time since for anyone who missed it:

WarioWare, Inc. - 2B43-0000-0038-3F06

People seemed to enjoy it when I posted it earlier and I figured most people would have been asleep/at work/school then.

Some of my other courses. (I'd also recommend the original version of "Why Can't Mario Crawl?" - 643B-0000-001A-0F89 and the newest version of "Death From Above!" - 9543-0000-003A-3A9D)
I really enjoyed it. I hope you're working on a sequel \(^o^)/

Hasney

In a form of rage creation to all the hard bollocks I just got (EVERY BLOCK YOU HIT HAS GIANT KOOPAS LOL ENJOY) I created an arthouse piece. Gone Home was a big inspiration.

Trampoline Searching For Purpose

B289-0000-003E-3C87

Or don't because it's terrible. Play this instead

Bowser Lurks Below!

FFDF-0000-003D-AA92

Oh god it's finally done!

The Forgotten Fortress:
483C-0000-003E-38A7

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_gamepx3ozg.jpg[img]

I had a lot of fun making it at first, but once the block limitations started it completely ruined it for me. It really shows in the final section of the Fortress which was slapped together simply due not having a single spare block left.[/QUOTE]

Loved the little bit of atmosphere at the start.
Nice visual with the bone fortress exterior, you earned a star!

Only hazard that felt a bit off to me was when the two giant fireballs come along the rail the only way to jump over them seemed to have me hit my head on the next one after them but trying to time those things can be sort of impossible at times and I had a sire flower at that point so I'm fine.
And I know that block limit pain, I could see a few areas where sacrifices in the walls had clearly been made.

The lack of Mario 3 levels I am finding hurts :(
Then you should play my SMB3-themed level!

It's pretty easy, but I tried to channel SMB3 World 1 a little.

SMB3 Sweet Nostalgia- 5FF2 0000 0029 C807

(and should also give my other two levels a try)

Five Walls - 6AE0 0000 0023 B681

Jumpy Jump: Note Blocks - (not at home, so can't check the code, but it should be visible in my profile)

Weng

Uploaded my first Ghost House. It's rather easy, but finding all three 1Ups and 100 coins turns it into a slightly more challenging level (at least that's what I hope).

Shine a Light (3 Ups, 100 Coins)
FA58-0000-003E-4E21

Reposting my latest course. I thought there'd be more interest in this from GAF:

To get the most out of my Kirby amiibo, I spent this evening working on a recreation of the first stage of Kirby's Dream Land.

Mario's Dream Land (GreenGreens)
E0DC-0000-0033-D109

WVW69iYpcKUxwypVRX

The name came up against the character limit.

Okay. So now the level comes in two flavors:

Normal (4569-0000-0038-8CF2)
vt00i9r.jpg

Easy (E097-0000-003E-3B40)
8aL09bK.jpg

In the easy version I took out 1 of the munchers and made the vine 1 tile taller. Now you don't even have to use the vine at all. The ceiling above the saw is 1 tile higher. There is a bill blaster dispensing infinite fire flowers on the left side.

Good idea and much appreciated. Definitely felt the difference.

I died but it was because I got too close to the edge of the vine and accidentally ground pounded.

Will be going through s'more of everyone's levels and giving feedback. Here are my two levels if you feel like returning the favor.

So I found this a little too tough. I like a hard level, but the spinning flames end up making it a little random. Like the one on the blue skulls goes so fast that the spinning flames at that point mean it could be randomly too difficult if they're out of sync. I like the continuity though with the theme and there's a lot of great ideas in it. That flying turtle jump was intense!

Thanks for trying and for the feedback definitely will go in and check out some stuff. I actually had the final spinning flames going in different directions but it made it way to hard for me to complete haha.

I like turtle jump sections but find levels where it's just a bunch of them too random so kept it at 2 and tried to just have different things going. Also thinking of putting another super mushroom towards the middle.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
made another this is very addicting now that i have all the tools these are the best ones ive made

escape the airship dock
C2B3-0000-003E-3B31
WVW69iY_oDMWyqePX7

fun house of sometimes death
8BAE-0000-003D-DA1E
WVW69iY_DMIKUk6s30

Ragnarok, that level was incredible. I had a bit of trouble with that part you mentioned but that was only because I jumped too high and kept hitting the spike, lol. Otherwise, it's just the right amount of challenge and imagination.

Oidisco

Loved the little bit of atmosphere at the start.
Nice visual with the bone fortress exterior, you earned a star!

Only hazard that felt a bit off to me was when the two giant fireballs come along the rail the only way to jump over them seemed to have me hit my head on the next one after them but trying to time those things can be sort of impossible at times and I had a sire flower at that point so I'm fine.
And I know that block limit pain, I could see a few areas where sacrifices in the walls had clearly been made.

Thanks dude, I spent a very long time on that intro so! Super happy you liked it!

And yea that final section was a nightmare to make and test. I spent a very long time on those fireball tracks to make sure it wasn't a complete mess. I still don't really get how exactly enemies spawn off-camera, so depending on player speed it can screw up the way those fireballs spawn.

5 sections were planned but I had already hit my limit by the 3rd section, though I was determined to get atleast 1 more in there. Thinking about it, maybe it would've been better if it had been cut.

octopiggy

I really enjoyed it. I hope you're working on a sequel \(^o^)/

Thanks. I have a couple of micro-games done (one of them is hidden in the original if you were to download it) but I'm going to have to have a think about how I can achieve more styles of gameplay that aren't just action/platforming.

Nohar

I guess I should give some of your creations a try. I didn't do much here, except for a 1-1 level I plan to make my family member play*. I guess I'll look through the last pages and pick a few levels. It will be a nice change from the automated levels of the 100 Mario run (automated levels are cool... but they aren't interesting to play, since, well, you don't play them, they play themselves).

* I'm more of a "classic stage" maker, so nothing revolutionary. Oddly enough, I just won my first star and medal with it. The guy who tested it was generous. If you want to try it, here is the ID: 315C-0000-003E-363A.

Played:
  • J-Fr: Fun stage. Your way of making a checkpoint is rather good! Only problem is to wait for the caterpillar to come back if you miss it when you reach his screen.

Jobbs

Banned
Dave 3: Reloaded is now live. This marks the third installment in the popular franchise, with the original garnering over 5 stars and numerous accolades.

SillyLameClownanemonefish.gif

5453-0000-003E-6BAE

This level has varying challenge depending on the path you take.

OmegaDL50

I can't believe there is a limit on how many blocks you can place.

I tried to make a massive complex like tower and found out after placing a certain amount of bricks, the block objects became greyed out and I couldn't place anymore.

What a weird limitation to have. I guess it's about sprite / texture memory I suppose.

DoubleYou

Second day, third stage.
I really like how this one turned out. I wanted to make a challenging stage without the spamming of enemies. It also has some cool secrets. :)

Vanilla Cavern
ID: 358C-0000-003E-6587

vanilla%20cavern.png

Top Bottom