• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

So is there any way to get the Big Mushroom without using the 30th Anniversary Amiibo? Having all of the other Amiibo stuff unlockable except for the one that actually effects gameplay would be a super shitty move.

Well, I changed the bullshit fire at the end seeing how it was clearly stupid and everyone kept dying there, thanks to Gsnap and whoever else played it.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

You made a fun stage, I managed to complete it and gave you a star. Thanks!

ohNOitsRO

"Path Less Taken"
The less taken path is the 'main' path? Considering every time I tried to stray from the main path I was punished it doesn't really work - despite being a cool twist, it will still lead to moments that feel kinda cheap.
Alright - your other one was better - this one has a few Dry Bones issues:
1. Dry Bones right in the start quickly goes to below the blocks if you don't run right away. That'd be fine - but the timing makes that he will raise a bone just as he's getting out, and you'll probably be falling down to try to kill him.

2. The Dry Bones after the first main jump (in the raised platform) will absolutely kill you if you hit the block. The Boo Circle shouldn't really kill you in its surprise, but the Dry Bones will when you go to the top of the block to be safe.

Besides that, I'm not the biggest fan of the Donut Climb to the room of death. That was pretty cheap - and I'm not sure if you intended, but after I got the cape (nice job on the clocks pointing out the cape though) and entered the pipe getting below the goal, I could just spin jump and spin the rotating blocks, so I just slid and got to goal. I think I probably needed to do something more there.

Bonus area right near the end of the level and with a lot of repeats isn't exactly all that enticing and precision platforming is never really super fun. Your other level is really way better - even if this one was fun in some ways.

Not a problem! But yeah, I always try to do that (it's a bit stolen from those analysis videos but I find it works for me as well) - end the level with either a callback to the level mechanic or to its theme. It really wraps things up nicely. Going for your other one now!
E: Actually I got stuff to do - but one thing - the pipe at the top-left corner of the map leads to a sub-area, and in that sub-area it's super easy for the yellow platforms to de-sync, never letting you through. Use different lengthed tracks there and your problem should be solved.

Hmm I will definitely go back and tweak some of the dry bones issues, and the donut climb is a trick :p it leads to a ghost room that you have to maneuver back out of and has no purpose other than to be an annoying ghost room..

And yeah at the end on top there's a pipe that spews out shells for you to make an opening near the goal but it's good to always find ways to break a level so thanks !

Even though it didn't really tickle your fancy, thanks for playing them man and for your thoughts on them! Definitely will keep in mind what you've said

ramparter

Banned
Damn I see all these levels, I have made 3-4 more but didn't have the time to finalize them so I'm stuck with only the first one uploaded.

NSMB theme is really tempting since it also gives you the wall jump and personally I like its looks, but I plan on giving my favourite SMB3 the love it deserves.

edit: Oh and I'm planning to follow you all of you when I get the chance.

Munter

I checked last night and only had 7 stars across my levels. Would love for people to give them a try and provide some feedback, so I can think about my levels going forward.

Name: New horizons!
Code: A746-0000-0020-EBAE

Name: Beneath the surface!
Code: C4FF-0000-0024-8E1A

Name: I'll have a P, please Bob-omb
Code: C446-0000-0038-0DF9

There's a 4th level called Bowser Time, but I don't have access to the code just now :)

Stoze

What's with these underwater levels nowadays that I'm actually liking? You guys are besting Ninty in that regard, heh. (It's the lack of Bloopers thank you so much). Anyway - it's a really fast-paced solid level. It doesn't force you to keep moving but the way it's tightly designed makes you keep moving forwards, as well as the increase of bullet bills shooting fish and the placement of the coins. I do like the way you make us pick the mushroom at first. My 'problems' are really the fact that the fish don't really pose the biggest threat (they are really slow off the cannon) and each segment drags on for longer than it should. I think shorter segments (with maybe one or more two segments later on improving on the challenge later on) would be better and make the whole thing feel even more fast-paced (and fun) than it is.

So yeah - really solid stage. Didn't wow me mechanically but it was still really fun to play and my 'issues' would imo really just add more to it instead of fixing something. Great job.

I don't know why you picked Shy Guy though (level itself seems to lack an explicit theme to the character) but HOLY SHIT YOU CAN COMMENT IN LEVELS YOURSELF? I need to update Waluigi Parable with the voice of the narrator stat for those that have comments on. O-O

Thanks a bunch man! And yeah, I definitely played it safe by repeating mechanics and slowly easing the player in. Mainly because I was unsure of how well it would pan out considering spikes + underwater + lots of projectiles sounds awful. I'll try more water stuff later once I unlock the ability to sub world.

I actually used the amiibo mushroom here specifically because I wanted the player to swim more comfortably through gaps yet still be able to take an extra hit, which is great because the hitbox stays the same as small mario. Had I just done Mario with a mushroom I think it would've guaranteed you losing it constantly and possibly be frustrating.

But yeah, I picked Shy Guy because I thought he had the cutest and coolest swim animation (those little legs!) out of the costumes I had lol.

KeRaSh

Posting these again since I'm close to unlocking the second medal (I think).

Dry Steve's haunted Mansion
BC1A-0000-0038-2B29

WVW69iYyzace2mp2LG

Scumbag Mario raids Bowser
2CEB-0000-002D-2393

WVW69iYeKzoSmiU5ct

That Wizard came from the Moon!
EABC-0000-001E-2358

WVW69iYF2kkA7MbkS4

Goomba's Kave
610A-0000-0014-5423

WVW69iX4iq8rKoMDBp

I'm really enjoying all the GAF levels so far. I keep sending the codes to myself via email and check them out after work if I have time to play.
Keem them coming!
...and maybe check out my levels too!

RobbieNick

Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade

0733-000-0040-A487

Still needs a little work. I don't have pathway and you can only use up to 3 Bowsers (to replace DK) so no fourth level. Still, pretty faithful to the original. Except for Bowser spitting fire at you from his cage.

jholmes

made a fourth level titled 'De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period' (ID: 9FD1-0000-003F-4D8B)

0z6dD7A.jpg

sort of a side project and more an expression of mood than a mario level, that's all i'm gonna say‎
‎
‎
You make levels look good! Maybe a bit too loose but I enjoyed taking in the sights, so it's a success!‎
‎
Pleeeeeeaaaase someone try it and comment.

I'll play whoever's stages that tries and leaves feedback. I've edited this level like 5 times after uploading lol. Could really use help with nip tuck.
‎
‎
Some clever ideas -- thwomps hitting P blocks is great -- but I hate levels like this where I'm doing everything exactly like the creator meant to. It feels like I'm running a drill. Good ideas, but levels are meant to be interactive, you know? I liked the end bit more where I was actually doing things. Still, spin jumping is fun so I can see people digging this.‎
‎
This is suppose to be a more traditional course, but I'd love to hear some more feedback on it. 

7812-0000-0040-48A8
‎‎
‎
The tight spaces in the water are way too close and a pain to get through. Liked the above-ground stuff but it was over before in knew it. Other than that it's not bad... was I supposed to find Yoshi?

Would you try Gotta Go Fast for me? If you have one of yours you'd like critiqued, let me know and I can return the favor. 

28AE-0000-0034-3C34

Not a fan of gimmick levels but I can't lie, it was fun. Sort of mindless but it had that Sonic feel. You accomplished what you set out to do with this level!‎

I'd love it if you played mine!

Name: Under the Thwomp.
ID: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F.
Description: Castle level with falling Thwomps and moving platforms you can use as umbrellas. It has some neat hidden secrets.

Thwomps hitting moving platforms is a weird concept to base a level around, but you nailed it. You know how to introduce it, put a spin on it and take it up to another difficulty level. It also doesn't feel tacked on -- you take time away from the thwomps, so when the player gets back to them, it's significant. However, at the one point just before the end you have thwomps, and podobos, and bullet bills, and fire bars. It's just too much to time all at once. Otherwise very good job -- I just wish the game let us have more control over moving platforms.

Tried designing a vine scrolling level! Well it's more of a vine level in general! 

Gripvine Central
ID: CEEC-0000-003F-0167

I wanted to love this level so badly, but the difficulty is just not managed. There's a part in the first bit with the vine grip where three sawblades converge on Mario if you go up. It's OK to let the player find two solutions to a problem! I also couldn't get past the second part without tanking a hit. If it weren't for the difficulty issue I'd have given this a big ol' star and told the world about it. I loved how you jerry-rigged the vine to pop at the start of the stage, it was hilarious. I laughed every time.

And yes, I did beat it.

So I have this idea but something about it is just not right, would appreciate feedback on thism8-bit Pop Star recreation stage

I'D 21C0-0000-0040-53FA

2KvMXJWh.jpg
‎

The first half just seemed too empty and wayyyy too close to the ground. The second half with the cannons was more fun. Loved the mini-boss room, though! At the end of the day I think Kirby doesn't translate one-to-one into Mario. If you made a stage a little more inspired by Kirby, taking the highlights from this level, I think you'd have something great.

Glass Joe

Made a new level today called Trust The Coins, way more complex than the few I've been doing for the past few days, though I'm still missing a lot of tools. Here it is in case someone wants to give it a try. Also, any kind of feedback would be deeply appreciated.

WVW69iZE95Q7jwN9NG

I was 0 for 10 and didn't make it particularly far. A little less than halfway judging by the map, where I "trusted the coins" downward onto a platform that quickly dropped me to death before I could see the upcoming situation. It's a bit too hard. It may not seem like it to you since you know the hazards, but the map very quickly changes pacing. It goes from running max speed with a flutter jump (on the first jump!) and then full speed off a second one onto the skull raft where you're supposed to hit a dead stop. Doesn't feel intuitive. Plus on that raft the fireballs were hitting me every time. I can only imagine it stays that hard throughout so I lost interest but gave it a fair shot.

‎
Not a fan of gimmick levels but I can't lie, it was fun. Sort of mindless but it had that Sonic feel. You accomplished what you set out to do with this level!‎

Thanks, I made it the day that Mario started leaving a trail for me, so I suppose it did cause me to gimmick it up. I appreciate the feedback. I was having one issue with the middle gimmick where the physics were inconsistent with the music block. I think maybe Mario moves faster if you have a super star but I'm not sure. I figure the less of 2 evils was to make it work without the star and if it didn't always work with the star, at least the person is invincible.

Pikma

Banned
I was 0 for 10 and didn't make it particularly far. A little less than halfway judging by the map, where I "trusted the coins" downward onto a platform that quickly dropped me to death before I could see the upcoming situation. It's a bit too hard. It may not seem like it to you since you know the hazards, but the map very quickly changes pacing. It goes from running max speed with a flutter jump (on the first jump!) and then full speed off a second one onto the skull raft where you're supposed to hit a dead stop. Doesn't feel intuitive. Plus on that raft the fireballs were hitting me every time. I can only imagine it stays that hard throughout so I lost interest but gave it a fair shot.

Thanks, will definitely spend more time on refining it then.

Edit:

I edited the level, removed and added some things, including some you mentioned, and re-uploaded it, here it is in case you'd like to try it out again:

EF7B-0000-0040-BE85

Robin64

Currently racking my brain about my entry for the 1-1 contest.

It has to be easy and it has to teach things, which means we need to assume that people playing it have played no Mario level before. On the other hand, it can't be boring. And on another third hand, it can't be too derivative of what Nintendo came up with for each of the four games.

I'll probably break out paper for this one.

PSqueak

Banned
New level:

DsFg1bo.jpg

Trial by Fire ~Bring your helmet~
ID:E42F 0000 0040 B304
Tile set: Super Mario Bros. 3
World: Castle

Im going to be honest, im not feeling it with this one, was aiming for a more cohesive theme on the level (fire) but my boss fight experiment didn't come out as expected.
The boss is two "dragons" going in circles around Mario, you defeat them by headbutting them with a spiny helmet. Remember, pick a helmet up and then press down to wear it.

Now the bad news, seems like the game has a bit of a problem when picking up new helmets from the ground, sometimes Mario will kick it instead of picking it up and it basically screws you over, so be careful and try not to run towards it.

For some reason small Mario is less likely to kick it, as long as you hold y and down running towards it as small Mario he will instantly wear it.

May I make a suggestion for etiquette In this thread?

If you want your level critiqued, perhaps you should include a critique of another person's level in your post. Post two levels? Feedback on two others.

That way there is a better chance that everyone's level gets played.

AniHawk

new level. i really like verticality in platformers, so i tried making one where that was the main concept. originally, it was smw with a ground theme, but i changed it since the background was messing with the illusion too much.

Rizzi

I made a level that I feel is decent-ish.
WVW69iZFdggECGj10I

Petey's Plateau.

32C6-0000-0040-CAAA

It shouldn't be too challenging. A bit more complex than my other ones so far. Looking forward to unlocking more tools to play with.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Finished a new level! Mario's fallen asleep on the job, and it's up to you to wake him up! Help him escape from his dreams while avoiding strange things.

WlThH4u.png

It's fun making levels that are thematic over Kaizo levels of unfair platforming.

Hylian7

This is one thing that's been bothering me, and surely it has to be possible, as the 10-Mario challenge levels do it.

How the hell do you connect the start and regular ground in levels? I cannot figure it out. There's always that little gap that shows they are two seperate landmasses. It's triggering my OCD and bothers the hell out of me.

VandalD

new level. i really like verticality in platformers, so i tried making one where that was the main concept. originally, it was smw with a ground theme, but i changed it since the background was messing with the illusion too much.
That was fun. Didn't know you could use flying thwomps that way. Died once after that part and the wait there was a bit dull. I'm glad there was only that one section with flying thwomps.
This is one thing that's been bothering me, and surely it has to be possible, as the 10-Mario challenge levels do it.

How the hell do you connect the start and regular ground in levels? I cannot figure it out. There's always that little gap that shows they are two seperate landmasses. It's triggering my OCD and bothers the hell out of me.
Far as I know, you can't connect them. Best you can do is use a different block or put a bridge to other ground blocks.

BowieZ

Banned
Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

My submission:

Super Mario Adventure: World 1-1
Code: 56E3 0000 0040 BF67

Qlo0dr6.jpg

tWR61OS.jpg

Points of interest:
- slowly and carefully teaches the player jumps and enemies (basic 'jumpman') rather than going too crazy with other mechanics
- item boxes grow on mushrooms
- go inside Toad houses
- the exit card is a magic portrait on a Toad house wall
- there's a huge secret near the end involving a magic whistle super leaf ;-)

Hylian7

That was fun. Didn't know you could use flying thwomps that way. Died once after that part and the wait there was a bit dull. I'm glad there was only that one section with flying thwomps.

Far as I know, you can't connect them. Best you can do is use a different block or put a bridge to other ground blocks.

Damn, I wonder how they did it for the 10-Mario challenge levels. I guess those were just created by Nintendo without the editor we get.

Also, I haven't tried this yet. If you have pipes connecting your sub-world and main world, and go back and fourth, does it reset the enemies in the sub world?

VandalD

Finished a new level! Mario's fallen asleep on the job, and it's up to you to wake him up! Help him escape from his dreams while avoiding strange things.

It's fun making levels that are thematic over Kaizo levels of unfair platforming.
I enjoyed how weird that was. Definitely prefer this to something insanely difficult.

Hylian7

If a 10 Mario level does it, can't you just edit that level via Coursebot and see what they did?

Damn, I wonder how they did it for the 10-Mario challenge levels. I guess those were just created by Nintendo without the editor we get.

Also, I haven't tried this yet. If you have pipes connecting your sub-world and main world, and go back and fourth, does it reset the enemies in the sub world?

I should give that a try. I'm curious how it was possible.

Just figured it out: It's only possible in SMB1 style. Looking at all the non-SMB1 10-Mario challenge levels, they all have the gap there. The SMB ones do not, and I even deleted the block and put it back and there was no gap.

VandalD

On top of the things you mentioned, it's also completely playable without ever pushing the run button, and the few bottomless pits are very small. Solid level. I'm gonna do a second run of it to see how it plays for a veteran trying to go fast.

Couldn't do anything crazy like chain jump on enemies, but it played well enough going fast. Also found two extra one-ups a beginner would never think to look for. I feel SMBU is better in regards to accomodating veterans and newbies, what with the wall jumping and the air stall, but I think you did great with this. Also like the houses you built.

PSqueak

Banned
My submission:

Excellent level, love your use of scenery and the houses are very clever, specially the goal. This one will be hard to beat in the contest.

My only critique is, too many 1-ups for a 1-1 level.

ohNOitsRO

‎
‎
I wanted to love this level so badly, but the difficulty is just not managed. There's a part in the first bit with the vine grip where three sawblades converge on Mario if you go up. It's OK to let the player find two solutions to a problem! I also couldn't get past the second part without tanking a hit. If it weren't for the difficulty issue I'd have given this a big ol' star and told the world about it. I loved how you jerry-rigged the vine to pop at the start of the stage, it was hilarious. I laughed every time.

And yes, I did beat it.

Dude I totally get you, when I finished making it I also thought the beginning was a bit too hectic, but I didn't adjust it -_- and I'll adjust the second part two, it didnt seem that way when I play tested it though.. Thanks for the input though man! :) gonna have to resubmit

VandalD

Trial by Fire ~Bring your helmet~
ID:E42F 0000 0040 B304
The boss is pretty unique. I keep losing my helmet though, and a couple times I got stuck after killing the whole thing. I threw a shell to the right to break the blocks, and I didn't have a tail to stop them. I'll keep trying for a bit. Edit: And then I got it next try. Now that I realize all I had to do was duck in the left corner, I feel a bit dumb. Getting out of the corner with the P-switch and the spring is a bit weird too. Think you've got a good idea here though.

KooopaKid

Banned
Reposting my second level from my Super Mario Planets series. Are the puzzles too obscure?

fhbatW8.jpg

Here's the first :

hSKN2Jp.jpg

I will play more GAFers levels tomorrow night.

VandalD

Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade
0733-000-0040-A487
This is pretty great, and I think Bowser shooting fire from his cage is fine, except in the first level where you're getting it from both sides. Space the levels out more if you can. It'll help when you unlock sub areas if you haven't already.

BooJoh

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

WVW69iZFy6YBWEEeBb

Title: Back to Basics
Code: 3FF9-0000-0040-DC39

Philosophy: I've attempted to re-imagine a new 1-1 in the Mario 3 style, giving a couple nods to the original while trying not to be too derivative. The level attempts to teach the player the basics of the Mushroom and Fire Flower and a few basic enemy types. The level includes 3 1-Up Mushrooms, two easy-to-find hidden areas, and just for kicks an infinite 1-Up trick.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hah. Thanks for giving it a go! Yeah, that seemingly inaccessible coin entrance to the flag is a little joke I'm playing on the player. There is a wholly different way to access the flag :p

Hope you enjoyed it :)

I'll give it another go tonight. I did play it quite late so perhaps my mind entered one track mode so it focused only on that one possible solution.

I did enjoy exploring it and finding secrets in it like the two cloud areas.

My submission:

Qlo0dr6.jpg

tWR61OS.jpg

Points of interest:
- slowly and carefully teaches the player jumps and enemies (basic 'jumpman') rather than going too crazy with other mechanics
- item boxes grow on mushrooms
- go inside Toad houses
- the exit card is a magic portrait on a Toad house wall
- there's a huge secret near the end involving a magic whistle super leaf ;-)

Is there a way to get
the 1up on the wall opposite the door to the leaf, or is that just to hint you towards the 1up generator?

I liked it. Not sure about it introducing basics, I think it expects better jumping than that. Impressive how much you dressed the end of the stage.

KingBroly

Banned
Level Name: I Wanna Be The Mario

Difficulty: Very Hard, but Short

Code: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

I wanted to make a hard one, and I had an idea for one level that didn't pan out, so I worked it into this idea. It's a pretty hard level, but it's short for player sanity. It took me about 2 hours to put it together and beat it. I had to change around several jumps to make it manageable and fun.
I didn't change the third jump though.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Top Bottom