• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Level Name: I Wanna Be The Mario

Difficulty: Very Hard, but Short

Code: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

I wanted to make a hard one, and I had an idea for one level that didn't pan out, so I worked it into this idea. It's a pretty hard level, but it's short for player sanity. It took me about 2 hours to put it together and beat it. I had to change around several jumps to make it manageable and fun.
I didn't change the third jump though.

As always, feedback is appreciated.
I like your title. Good trick to get me to try it! Will play soon.

VandalD

Reposting my second level from my Super Mario Planet series. Are the puzzles too obscure?
Was indeed confused for a bit, and died quite a few times, but I did eventually beat the level. The confusion was all on me. I think you telegraphed things appropriately in hindsight.

PSqueak

Banned
The boss is pretty unique. I keep losing my helmet though, and a couple times I got stuck after killing the whole thing. I threw a shell to the right to break the blocks, and I didn't have a tail to stop them. I'll keep trying for a bit. Edit: And then I got it next try. Now that I realize all I had to do was duck in the left corner, I feel a bit dumb. Getting out of the corner with the P-switch and the spring is a bit weird too. Think you've got a good idea here though.

Thanks, when i thought up the boss i had to find a reason why you should kill it instead of ignoring it, and also had to think a way to discourage people from trying to use the spinies to break the blocks, so everything kinda fell into place.

Also: Is this well known?

Yoshi can use the fire breath attack if you try to eat the flame from the burners. I had no idea until now.

octopiggy

Why does holding jump lets you bounce off enemies but holding jump doesn't let you bounce off trampolines and music blocks?
I hate trampolines. Was this really a design decision?

BooJoh

My submission:

Super Mario Adventure: World 1-1
Code: 56E3 0000 0040 BF67

Qlo0dr6.jpg

tWR61OS.jpg

Points of interest:
- slowly and carefully teaches the player jumps and enemies (basic 'jumpman') rather than going too crazy with other mechanics
- item boxes grow on mushrooms
- go inside Toad houses
- the exit card is a magic portrait on a Toad house wall
- there's a huge secret near the end involving a magic whistle super leaf ;-)

Pretty good, nice original concept. The middle section climbing up the mushrooms sort of reminded me of Wizards & Warriors.

Why does holding jump lets you bounce off enemies but holding jump doesn't let you bounce off trampolines and music blocks?

I don't mind that the note blocks are trickier, but the window to pull it off is extremely small, they should be more forgiving.

Trampolines should be easier to bounce off of. (And please make a type that can't be picked up.)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh for crying out loud! The level I uploaded last night only had 3 people try it, with only an average of 2 attempts per player with no wins. There is nothing unfair in this stage that should make people give up that quickly. Please give my level a go guys.

0E3C-0000-003F-227D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

They've been like that since SMB. Does allow you to make areas that require timing to proceed though. For example, my test level (025D-0000-001F-B973) I used a spring at the end to jump off to get the flagpole 1-up.

The other springs in the level can either be jumped over or with the case of the three in a row, the easy solution is to jump run off the pipe and let Mario's momentum to bounce him across.

(And please make a type that can't be picked up.)
Oddly, the stationary spring is referenced with the spring mystery costume's up pose.

Schlomo

It has been that way in most Mario games. I agree the timing is too hard. I get it right 95% of the time, but it always feels like bullshit if I do mess it up and unceremoniously fall to my death.

Painguy

My fourth level is done. Spent about 6 hours on it. As with all my other courses you don't need to run in order to beat it, but you can if you want. Doesn't matter.

For this course I tried to aim for a 5-20% completion rate. The course is on the hard side, but it's not a 2hard4u troll style level.The level focuses on magikoopa's and learning how to use their attacks to progress through the level. It also focuses on learning how to dodge their attacks for the boss battle. I tried to make an interesting boss battle. It essentially relies on you avoiding magikoopa attacks and bowser's flames until bob-ombs open up a path way for more bob-ombs to destroy bowser. I put a lot of power-ups in the level. The level becomes a lot quicker if you know how to slide duck. You'll know what I mean if you try it out.

I'm a bit shocked at the completion rate of my Kickin' Koopas level. I was expecting at the very least 50%. There are hardly any real hazards until the end (mostly some bottomless pits that aren't too wide. Can anyone let me know where I could improve in making an easier course?

4th Level (NEW)
Magikoopa Armageddon (Expect 5-20% Completion)
C5B4-0000-0040-E6CE

P7l51Tv.jpg

3rd Level
Kickin' Koopas (20.00% Completion, 11/55)
D3F0-0000-0035-5897

GZroA5C.jpg

2nd Level
Flying Buzzy Beetle Castle (3.83% Completion, 12/313)
60FF-0000-0026-3C2F

htOjH3E.jpg

1st Level
Spring Jump Sewer (22.38% Completion, 15/67)
3C21-0000-001C-DC7C

RkxLllB.jpg

As always let me know what you think. I encourage any sort of criticism and ideas.

octopiggy

They've been like that since SMB.

It has been that way in most Mario games.

I realise that. But they've gone and retroactively let you hold jump to bounce off enemies in SMB (you couldn't in the original) so that's not stopping them.

Just feels a bit inconsistent and ruins lots of levels that I've played online.

Trampolines should be easier to bounce off of. (And please make a type that can't be picked up.)

I guess the work around is to put 2 blocks either side. Not always ideal and doesn't look too pretty though.

vikki

New level:

DsFg1bo.jpg

Trial by Fire ~Bring your helmet~
ID:E42F 0000 0040 B304
Tile set: Super Mario Bros. 3
World: Castle

Im going to be honest, im not feeling it with this one, was aiming for a more cohesive theme on the level (fire) but my boss fight experiment didn't come out as expected.
The boss is two "dragons" going in circles around Mario, you defeat them by headbutting them with a spiny helmet. Remember, pick a helmet up and then press down to wear it.

Now the bad news, seems like the game has a bit of a problem when picking up new helmets from the ground, sometimes Mario will kick it instead of picking it up and it basically screws you over, so be careful and try not to run towards it.

For some reason small Mario is less likely to kick it, as long as you hold y and down running towards it as small Mario he will instantly wear it.

This was tough. It took me a few times to figure out how to escape after I killed the two dragons, The POW is out of place, it's not really useful in killing the dragon. Kicking the shells instead of wearing the shells is the most effective way to kill the dragon. Figure out a way to stop from throwing the shells to kill the dragon, and get rid of the fireball pipes in the fight. There are enough things flying around that the fire pipes just takes away from paying attention to the dragons.

To escape, I had to figure out how to grab the P, throw it up in a place where it wouldn't block my way up, then hope i can grab it again, to use it. It didn't feel intended, it felt a little wonky. I think if you adjust the stage so the spring will launch you to the top and maybe put the P in an empty slot halfway up to grab on the way up it'd be better. Or just put the P above where the Dragons are circling. These are just my suggestions though. It is a cool idea.

new level. i really like verticality in platformers, so i tried making one where that was the main concept. originally, it was smw with a ground theme, but i changed it since the background was messing with the illusion too much.

Solid idea and pretty well executed. It was a fun stage. I had a little trouble figuring out if I needed the boot or not, but it became pretty clear that I needed it.

Finished a new level! Mario's fallen asleep on the job, and it's up to you to wake him up! Help him escape from his dreams while avoiding strange things.

WlThH4u.png

It's fun making levels that are thematic over Kaizo levels of unfair platforming.

I've seen a couple of these dream state mario stages now. It's a cool concept. Stage was interesting, not difficult, but I had to take it slow as I had no idea what to expect. I would suggest, instead of a door that leads to a pitfall, make the door lead back to the beginning or something. That way it is more inception vs. loss. You are keeping them in the dream

I made a level that I feel is decent-ish.
WVW69iZFdggECGj10I

Petey's Plateau.

32C6-0000-0040-CAAA

It shouldn't be too challenging. A bit more complex than my other ones so far. Looking forward to unlocking more tools to play with.

Pretty short stage, but pretty cool classic idea. You were pretty liberal with your use of the mushrooms. I suggest making it unnecessary for so many mushrooms by creating ways where people wont need them as much? Not sure how you keep the theme and help people keep the mushroom they just got, but that's my suggestion.

VandalD

Oh for crying out loud! The level I uploaded last night only had 3 people try it, with only an average of 2 attempts per player with no wins. There is nothing unfair in this stage that should make people give up that quickly. Please give my level a go guys.

0E3C-0000-003F-227D
I gave you a few (looks like 8) more deaths, but also a win. Nice level. I don't want to hear the p-block theme for a while now.

Edit: Also what BooJoh said below. I died in a few of the same spots. The only reason I jumped to the right after landing on the blocked up flagpole is I assumed you didn't trap up the castle off screen. Had the same thing happen with Bowser.

PSqueak

Banned
This was tough. It took me a few times to figure out how to escape after I killed the two dragons, The POW is out of place, it's not really useful in killing the dragon. Kicking the shells instead of wearing the shells is the most effective way to kill the dragon. Figure out a way to stop from throwing the shells to kill the dragon, and get rid of the fireball pipes in the fight. There are enough things flying around that the fire pipes just takes away from paying attention to the dragons.

To escape, I had to figure out how to grab the P, throw it up in a place where it wouldn't block my way up, then hope i can grab it again, to use it. It didn't feel intended, it felt a little wonky. I think if you adjust the stage so the spring will launch you to the top and maybe put the P in an empty slot halfway up to grab on the way up it'd be better. Or just put the P above where the Dragons are circling. These are just my suggestions though. It is a cool idea.

About the pow: It's actually not meant to be used against the boss, it's only meant to stop the boss music which is tied to the spiny buried in the ground, it was my solution as to not let the boss music stop when you move around the screen.

I think i did go overboard with the hazards, since most of my testing was as small mario, he dodges things easier and has less trouble properly using the helmet so basically if you're quick as small mario you're invincible.

As for the P switch placement, it's deliberate how it is placed the idea is that you would have to go for it down, but you cant go down until you kill the "dragons", placing it above would encourage people to not actually fight the "dragons", tho i admit that its a bit awkward to grab if you're holding y down like every mario player ever.

Thanks for the feedback! Will have it in mind.

BowieZ

Banned
On top of the things you mentioned, it's also completely playable without ever pushing the run button, and the few bottomless pits are very small. Solid level. I'm gonna do a second run of it to see how it plays for a veteran trying to go fast.

Couldn't do anything crazy like chain jump on enemies, but it played well enough going fast. Also found two extra one-ups a beginner would never think to look for. I feel SMBU is better in regards to accomodating veterans and newbies, what with the wall jumping and the air stall, but I think you did great with this. Also like the houses you built.

Excellent level, love your use of scenery and the houses are very clever, specially the goal. This one will be hard to beat in the contest.

My only critique is, too many 1-ups for a 1-1 level.

Pretty good, nice original concept. The middle section climbing up the mushrooms sort of reminded me of Wizards & Warriors.

Is there a way to get
the 1up on the wall opposite the door to the leaf, or is that just to hint you towards the 1up generator?

I liked it. Not sure about it introducing basics, I think it expects better jumping than that. Impressive how much you dressed the end of the stage.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm not sure about the very for-beginners structure but it was enjoyable trying to think about design from that perspective. I suppose it could be said that it is better to challenge the player with an increased curve of difficulty and variation rather than a straight tutorialistic stage, but I had fun seeing how interesting and varied I could make something so simple on the surface.

And yes, that 1up is possible. ;)

BooJoh

0E3C-0000-003F-227D

I gave you a star and a win, but I can tell you what's wrong. The level is rushed as it is because of the P-Switches, and the difficulty ramps up as you go. I died the first time I got to the tower of enemies that requires the goomba bounce, I died a couple times on the koopa bouncing, I died by being a fraction of a second too slow and the P-Switch ending after the giant chompers, I died twice to the fire spitting pirhana, I died the first time I got to the donut block. Once I got past that I had to take a leap of faith off the flagpole to the pipe I didn't know was there, and then I had to go through the underground section twice because the first time I hit the P-Switch too soon and had to get by Bowser then try again.

The level isn't really aesthetically pleasing except the underground section. It felt like a lot of memorization and If I had run across the level in 100 Mario mode I would've skipped it after the third death or so.

Not saying the level is bad, just pointing out what I think are the negative points, but I'm not sure I would exactly call it completely fair either. Trial-and-error levels will usually get skipped if they aren't really short.

Link Man

Banned
So, had an idea this morning, perhaps others have had the same idea. You know how you can only earn 3 1-ups per level in 100 Mario? Make the 1-ups into Mario 64 style challenges. One can be the flagpole, one for 100 coins, and one in a block for rewarding a platforming challenge (or for managing to kill enough enemies in a row).

VandalD

So, had an idea this morning, perhaps others have had the same idea. You know how you can only earn 3 1-ups per level in 100 Mario? Make the 1-ups into Mario 64 style challenges. One can be the flagpole, one for 100 coins, and one in a block for rewarding a platforming challenge (or for managing to kill enough enemies in a row).
I already do the flagpole thing. In most of my levels, I don't let you hit the top of the pole without going an alternate/hidden path. I use coins more as markers of sorts. As much time as I spend making levels, I probably can't be bothered to make sure I have exactly 100 coins per level. Having to do these workarounds to reward exploration (and when it doesn't even do anything when playing a single course) kind of sucks. Another downside is that this is a bit less feasible with SMW levels thanks to the goal, and I don't think there are special conditions for a one-up in SMB3.

dno_1966

I've uploaded my first level - Flame Grilled Mario, code 9E42-0000-0041-06AF, hopefully the title gives you an idea of what to expect. I think it's quite a tricky course so I've included plenty of power ups, maybe too many/not enough, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

(mat)

Here are some simple puzzles. Just a few small ideas I had in my head that I decided to configure into a level. :)

6E1F-0000-0041-0B95

Painguy

Here's a new level of mine

Club 30 (F1BB-0000-003F-CB76)

WVW69iZCvX0de9T_9v

It's a bit easier than my first level "Loco Motion" which nobody has been able to clear yet. Here's the course ID if you guys wanna try that one out.

Really fun course! Not difficult at all. Only issue I had was I accidentally fell off the blocks with the bob-ombs in the beginning after touching one.I couldn't get back up so I had to restart once. Only thing I can say is watch out for situations in your levels where players can't progress because of a power-up or getting a very specific task wrong. That's just my style though :p

This one is a bit of a tribute to 8-2 and 8-3
SMB ☆-1 (190E-0000-0040-C4E0)
WVW69iZFfFQtB8RlBH

This is exactly what it sounds like.
Luigi's Mansion 1-1 (8C2E-0000-003A-2C6A)
WVW69iY2Xt0RJxsFNv

Pikma

Banned

0E3C-0000-003F-227D
Well, I couldn't beat it. Tried like 20 times or so.
It was neat, though.

Kangi

New level:

http://i.imgur.com/DsFg1bo.jpg?1[IMG]

[B]Trial by Fire ~Bring your helmet~[/B]
ID:E42F 0000 0040 B304
Tile set: Super Mario Bros. 3
World: Castle

Im going to be honest, im not feeling it with this one, was aiming for a more cohesive theme on the level (fire) but my boss fight experiment didn't come out as expected.
The boss is two "dragons" going in circles around Mario, you defeat them by headbutting them with a spiny helmet. Remember, pick a helmet up and then press down to wear it.

Now the bad news, seems like the game has a bit of a problem when picking up new helmets from the ground, sometimes Mario will kick it instead of picking it up and it basically screws you over, so be careful and try not to run towards it.

For some reason small Mario is less likely to kick it, as long as you hold y and down running towards it as small Mario he will instantly wear it.[/QUOTE]

That was a fun boss fight, though I gamed it by just throwing the shells instead of wearing them (which didn't work half the time anyway), and thwapping the rest with my tail. I did manage to get stuck trying to get out, which you'll see in an accompanying Miiverse comment.

It was creative and fun, and it's nice to see a level from you that isn't a gauntlet of absolute pain. =p

[quote="vikki, post: 178992484"]There are enough things flying around that the fire pipes just takes away from paying attention to the dragons.[/QUOTE]
Rule #1 of PSqueak levels: everything is trying to kill you.

Nohar

This game is seriously addictive. It is a little disappointing that so many levels made by players (and available in the 100 Mario Challenge) are uninspired, restrict Mario's movements too much, automated, kaizo-ish or just chaotic. I guess I'm too attached to regular Mario levels, but a ton of those levels are just not fun to play at all.

I'm not sure how I feel about re-creation either. I guess that as long as these levels can add something more to the originals, I'm fine with them.

Oh well, I guess the Sturgeon's Law is in full effect. 90% trash levels, 10% wonders.

VandalD

SMB ☆-1 (190E-0000-0040-C4E0)
This definitely felt like a combination of original SMB levels. It wouldn't be out of place with them. Well done.
Luigi's Mansion 1-1
(8C2E-0000-003A-2C6A)
Spooky 1-1 with Luigi. Neat.
Oh well, I guess the Sturgeon's Law is in full effect. 90% trash levels, 10% wonders.
Yeah. It really can't be helped. 100 Mario Challenge gets tiresome quickly because of it. GAF levels are usually pretty fun though.

KingBroly

Banned
This game is seriously addictive. It is a little disappointing that so many levels made by players (and available in the 100 Mario Challenge) are uninspired, restrict Mario's movements too much, automated, kaizo-ish or just chaotic. I guess I'm too attached to regular Mario levels, but a ton of those levels are just not fun to play at all.

I'm not sure how I feel about re-creation either. I guess that as long as these levels can add something more to the originals, I'm fine with them.

I'd say levels are getting better the more the game is out, but sometimes it feels like things are done for the sake of doing them without much thought, like Lakitus, Springs, Music Blocks and Enemy spam.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I gave you a star and a win, but I can tell you what's wrong. The level is rushed as it is because of the P-Switches, and the difficulty ramps up as you go. I died the first time I got to the tower of enemies that requires the goomba bounce, I died a couple times on the koopa bouncing, I died by being a fraction of a second too slow and the P-Switch ending after the giant chompers, I died twice to the fire spitting pirhana, I died the first time I got to the donut block. Once I got past that I had to take a leap of faith off the flagpole to the pipe I didn't know was there, and then I had to go through the underground section twice because the first time I hit the P-Switch too soon and had to get by Bowser then try again.

The level isn't really aesthetically pleasing except the underground section. It felt like a lot of memorization and If I had run across the level in 100 Mario mode I would've skipped it after the third death or so.

Not saying the level is bad, just pointing out what I think are the negative points, but I'm not sure I would exactly call it completely fair either. Trial-and-error levels will usually get skipped if they aren't really short.
I'll definitely give you that leap of faith. I actually intended to put an arrow pointing down there but I already uploaded the level before I realised I forgot to do that.

As for the rest, I don't get it. Is difficulty not supposed to ramp up the further you get in a level? I don't feel like any of those deaths required knowing those deaths were there to avoid them. Is it a trial and error level? Technically in the sense that people may error and have to try again, but that's what happens in any challenging Mario stage. I gave the player clear view of enemies and obstacles. I mean I suppose the general GOTTA GO FAST nature of the level is what would cause players to make mistakes on seemingly simple sections like the koopa bouncing section for example. But I don't think that makes it unfair in any way. But something being fair doesn't necessarily mean it wont frustrate players so I hear what you're saying.

But I can see what you mean with the Bowser section actually. I got players in a habit of hitting P Switches ASAP and perhaps then making that abad idea for that bit could have led to frustration. Maybe players being in that rush mode wouldn't see the object straight away there.

I also recognise that yes it's not a very aesthetically pleasing level.

Kangi

100 Mario Challenge has been getting better for me. Though now even the "Easy" levels are trying desperately to kill me. Getting Kaizo levels, underwater spike mazes, and "wall-jumping on ice between giant saw blades" kind of levels. I don't mind a challenge, I just didn't expect it from the mode that's usually just comprised of people's testing ground stages that they for some reason uploaded.

Trampolines are based on SMB design, which is wonky. SMW trampolines were way more consistent. Noteblocks are SMB3 design, which I am more used to.

Anyways, I got tired of Koopa Jumping levels and decided to make a decent one: C756-0000-0041-33B8

Edit: Fixed with camera scroll.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's kinda hard to figure out where people who aren't you are going to have trouble. Like, I make a section in my level that I'm getting through easily and consistently but then other people play it and struggle. It's weird. Level design is hard.

AniHawk

automatic levels are the most disappointing thing because someone went through a lot of time and effort for something that results in the player not doing anything. it's like the inverse of the kaizo levels of people not putting in any effort and having the player do a bunch of frustrating things.

i'm actually impressed when i randomly run across a decent normal platforming challenge. this is all 100 mario challenge too - the ones here tend to be pretty good since people actually have ideas they want to share.

It's kinda hard to figure out where people who aren't you are going to have trouble. Like, I make a section in my level that I'm getting through easily and consistently but then other people play it and struggle. It's weird. Level design is hard.
I know I have to dial it back because I am good at Mario. If I make a level I think is just right, it will be hard for most people. So I try to make levels I find easy like the recent underwater level.

Hasney

'Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1'

A Very Mario 3 Time

8D6A-0000-0040-D034

Feels like a nice 1-1 for Mario. No need for pace or jumps, but there's a couple of places for an advanced user to get to.

WVW69iZGI3wmXidYsG

My other shizz while I have your attention:

Decided to do quite a traditional level, so a couple of tricky jumps but nothing insane!

Bowser Lurks Below!

FFDF-0000-003D-AA92

WVW69iY-licC8zbtpD

Any feedback welcome, know the fire flower near the end of the main path is kinda pointless, thought I had more space

Re put up the Mario World level Castle or Airship now I have coins. It's hard, but as a warning, castle path is easier :)

2DDE-0000-0032-2AA4

KingBroly

Banned
I died a lot, but I made it. Not usually my kind of level, but the shortness of it made winning feel more attainable.

I'm glad you gave it a try at least. I feel like too many levels out there with a lot of Challenge tend to overstay their welcome, so I wanted something that people could feel like they could do. I also ended up changing 2 jumps to make the level somewhat consistently doable.

Fun Fact:
You can reach the far right of the stage as soon as the scrolling ends.

This is my best One yet As far As i think:

4CFC-0000-0041-2860 Sorry Bowser is another room

Please try it And hit me with some remarks :) Hope you enjoy it :)

theaface

I made a level that's inspired by Super Mario 64's Tiny-Huge Island. Give it a go and let me know what you think, please!

Escape From BigSmall Castle
1445-0000-0038-4B9C

My 1st level again, as well. For those who like a tough but fair challenge...

The Tunnel of Imminent Peril
C8C3-0000-0030-5A42

Nohar

While making an underwater level, it struck me: we can't make pipes which push Mario away in one direction (you know, pipes which eject bubbles)? :'(

VandalD

Anyways, I got tired of Koopa Jumping levels and decided to make a decent one: 3FD8-0000-0041-15DE
I'd have preferred it if the screen scrolled up with Mario, instead of this being a game of align the center of the screen with the koopa you want to land on. But I got through it in a few tries.

Work in progress level.
You only live once
Agent Mario must infiltrate the volcano base of the evil Gold-shell and put an end to his evil shenanigans. Can you defeat bowser and grab the 1ups along the way.

Half finished but would appreciate feedback. First part is a clown car shmup style thing.

q7YRDF9.jpg

Nobody gave feedback (maybe because the topic moves very quick in the US evening). Would appreciate someone giving it a go. I will happily play/star/comment on anyone's levels in return when I get home from work later today.

I'd have preferred it if the screen scrolled up with Mario, instead of this being a game of align the center of the screen with the koopa you want to land on. But I got through it in a few tries.
Yeah I don't know how to fix that, in Lunar Magic you can adjust the screen scroll. Guess I could put some objects out of view to force it to scroll up.

Top Bottom