• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For people who re-upload a V2 of a level;

Do you delete the original or keep them both up incase some actually liked your original version?

Jucksalbe

Banned
For people who re-upload a V2 of a level;

Do you delete the original or keep them both up incase some actually liked your original version?

I did both. One level was simple updated a little to fix a few things so I deleted the first version, the other I changed a bigger part of it so I kept the first version.

Hasney

I just ran through all your stages, I can tell that you improved on your designs the more you made, I mean sure that's kind of a given but it's worth noting.
Also someone likes their sublevels!

Gave a star to the Goomba and SMB3 stages, they were nice simple stages that flowed well, for the people lamenting stages that are too tricky or just wanting to play something more normal give Hasney's stuff a go.

Cheers! Yeah, I think if the levels were just a little longer, I wouldn't sublevel as much haha. But yeah, hoped I was improving but you can't tell as the star system really seems to favour easy rather than good, but I think a lot to do with that is the discover-ability.

Thanks again for Czeching them out.

OmegaDL50

Okay here is my Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1'.

WVW69iZLemQEt9Q9aC

Omega Mario 1-1

0CA4-0000-0043-010C

sinxtanx

A couple of courses I did on my first day with the game. Tried to make something good with what little the game gave me.

Rocket Espionage
C008-0000-003D-F28E

Mario is tasked with sabotaging the Koopa Clan's space program. All weapons are procure-on-site.
-Simple, puzzle-style themed level. Infiltrate the base through the wreckage of an old prototype rocket and find a way into the new one, and then take out the control tower.

Totem Throwdown
3DDF-0000-003E-AB30

Is the circus in town, and you all want to run away with it? Is that it?
-Some mild exploration and puzzle elements

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I wanted something in the SMB1 style that felt very un-SMB1, so this is a "vertical" air ship stage, to the extent that the game can let you disguise sub-areas as multiple segments, anyway. There are 5 distinct areas: ground, sky, outside the ship, inside the ship, and the captain's deck. It's probably too difficult for the average player, but I tried to at least keep the difficulty to precision platforming and not bullshit trolls. You can either see or react to pretty much everything that's coming.

Hasney

Post a code for a level and I'll stream a playthrough of it in about an hour. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

Give Hocus Pocus a go and see what you think :)

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71

I'll give yours a shot when this controller charges.

correojon

^ your picture isn't working

I'll play some more peoples courses later. My gamepad needs to charge....

I even have the extended bloody battery

Will try soon. I have very similar level called Mariotroid (haha!), so give this a try as well (BF68-0000-003D-3DA2).

Also your image doesn't show.

Edit: Your image also doesn't have the code.

Thanks, it should be working now, first time uploading a pic from the WiiU to GAF :p

I´m going to try Mariotroid now

Grinchy

Banned
Tread Lightly3: Tread Light Rises --- A48A-0000-0043-0175

It's ready to go! I put bird chirp sound effects in so that if you are jumping at the right time from the platforms, you get the chirp. If you don't hear the chirp, you're probably dead.

Please try it out!

SplendidSillyCassowary.gif

WVW69iZLgWUM06Dq2T

Good Enough (a slightly Goonies-inspired underground course): 3776-0000-0042-EBDE

Ok, that's awesome. I'm at work, I haven't played this yet but I like this idea.

Actually I wish it was ghost house themed, because that music has always reminded me of the Goonies 2 music!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Post a code for a level and I'll stream a playthrough of it in about an hour. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served. I'll stream until about 6PM Eastern.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try:

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I wanted something in the SMB1 style that felt very un-SMB1, so this is a "vertical" air ship stage, to the extent that the game can let you disguise sub-areas as multiple segments, anyway. There are 5 distinct areas: ground, sky, outside the ship, inside the ship, and the captain's deck. It's probably too difficult for the average player, but I tried to at least keep the difficulty to precision platforming and not bullshit trolls. You can either see or react to pretty much everything that's coming.
Hmm. I think I'll chosse my favourite of my levels so far which I'd like to have more plays.

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

PSqueak

Banned
Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon...

Legit one of the best freaking maps in this thread and the game itself.

Sölf

I've been working on a level which isn't too long, or too hard, but sitll offers some challenge. Especially at the end. There's also some paths that give powerups that aren't mandatory but make things easier:

WVW69iZHLNgPH21LMh

Goomba 1-3 4A72-0000-0041-25FC

That was fun. Pretty short, but quite interesting.

octopiggy

Post a code for a level and I'll stream a playthrough of it in about an hour. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served. I'll stream until about 6PM Eastern.

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

If you haven't played it, I'd love to see someone play this:
WarioWare, Inc. - 2B43-0000-0038-3F06

if you have already played it then maybe this one:

Why Can't Mario Crawl? - 643B-0000-001A0F89

Kebiinu

Banned
Spent literally hours crafting my latest stage yesterday. I would love for y'all to check it out and let me know what you think!

I'll go ahead and post all the stages I've created thus far, starting with my most recent. I'll streamline this post as much as possible.

Aeroskies
UOCaYDd.jpg
BSwjj56.jpg

Stage ID: 17D1-0000-0040-D11A
This stage took work, a LOT of work. With a heavy focus on exploration yet familiar linearity; not every missed jump is a missed opportunity, so look for those secrets!

Kelp Assembly!
CXhQhcd.jpg
PH7obYp.jpg

Stage ID: B281-0000-003A-FB76
A linear pipe foreshadows your route as you make your way through this autoscrolling water stage. Despite the implied pace, don't panic; just keep swimming!

Trial Caverns
YaTtAGO.jpg
qshsg4x.jpg

Stage ID: 273C-0000-002F-B77A
Deep in Mushroom Kingdom you'll find this cave at the base of a towering mountain. Venture if you dare...for what awaits, are perilous drops, tricky platforms, and some persistent enemies. Make sure you pace yourself before proceeding along the pipe walkway!

What Goes Up...!
lkKxWN3.jpg
gkRWGKp.jpg

Stage ID: 777C-0000-002E-4B15
...must come down, or so they say! This stage will have you doing both as you make your way across this canyon of pipes and tight platforming! Watch out for that last step, it's a doozy!

I really hope you guys enjoy these stages. I've been steadily unlocking materials as I create, so I've been taking a slow and steady approach. I enjoy it though, because that means I can test my creativity with what's currently available. Every stage is not without it's secrets, but I don't believe in spoilers, so have fun!

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Does anyone remember the level before the game came out where you had a bunch of cannonballs you had to hop on while avoiding stars to make it across some gap? Wanted to play that one but cannot remember the name of it.

SuperJay

Legend of Zelda: Ganon's Revenge E9AE-0000-0039-9511

Thanks!

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

correojon

Will try soon. I have very similar level called Mariotroid (haha!), so give this a try as well (BF68-0000-003D-3DA2).

Also your image doesn't show.

Edit: Your image also doesn't have the code.

Edit2: fixed now. :)

Just finished Mariotroid, you did a great job, for moments it felt like a real Metroid game. That moment
when you enter Mother Brain´s chamber
was fantastic!! The way you used the enemies or the location of the powerups and shorcuts, I was getting Metroid vibes all the time. I really enjoyed it, congratulations!

Hasney

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

Gave it a shot, but balls that was tough. Never felt unfair though, so I gave it a star. Pretty fun when I had most of it nailed.

PSqueak

Banned
Nobody gave feedback (maybe because the topic moves very quick in the US evening). Would appreciate someone giving it a go. I will happily play/star/comment on anyone's levels in return when I get home from work later today.

Short but enjoyable, i liked the concept and the puzzle rooms.

Thanks!

The Black Lodge

2397-0000-003F-B983

Xhorder

I finished my latest level: Super Mario Challenge Rooms
I'm pretty excited about this one. You have to go through each room to the warp pipe. I created the illusion that if your going through the warp pipe you'll end up in the next room. I think that's pretty cool!

The level starts pretty easy, but get's kind of hard. The boss is annoying, but hey.. it's a challenge room. :) Still, I've placed a lot of power-ups everywhere, so I think it's doable.

I really would love to get some feedback.

AE16-0000-0042-FE9A
WVW69iZLdPwYHBKm97

Hasney

Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.

Legit one of the best freaking maps in this thread and the game itself.

Yeah, I'm going to go along with that. Wow.

Felt like a real ghost house SMW level despite the restrictions the game has in making them.

Sölf

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon...
Time well spent. The best level I've played so far. Not really hard, but the gameplay, holy shit.

Finn

So, this is my 8th level and I think my most cohesive / feels most complete. It's done in the SMW style. I always have the most fun when creating a level that feels as though it could appear in the actual game, and this one is no different. Check it out and tell me what you think:

Title: Rocky Roads
86BF 0000 0043 10C7

foltzie1

I need to avoid gaf, I'm taking a break from a paper and I see these great levels. Must resist.

Congrats all, some of these are amazing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mk02gmO.jpg

I wanna be the guy: fuck you man, lmao
Yeah that part is what I meant by I uploaded too early. I think that part needed tweaking, or at least I should have made a makeshift checkpoint just before that so they didn't have to start again.

You think I should just delete it and reupload it making that last bit less annoying?

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I expected Lost Levels like pain from you and you didn't disappoint.

For the most part the difficulty is fair here, I got as far as the interior where I got hammer bro'd trying to rush up the shifting vine.
So the only two points I'd state regarding the difficulty otherwise is...
- A small one here but when you bop down across the paratroopas in the second area the screens shifting actually hides the cloud platforms you're supposed to land on from view, so a guiding coin trail coming off the last koopa wouldn't go amiss.
- The rail platform under the ship, here you're kind of at the mercy of how many flying spinies got fired at you (depending on the bill blasters location as you step on the moving rail platform, I've had to deal with just one or sometimes 3, but oddly the hardest bit for me here was managing to get on the winged donut block because of the spinies.
I think having at least one other donut block to give more room to maneuver round the spikes if they're still present as well as making it that bit easier to get in the pipe to the airship.

Not that you're actually asking for feedback, I would say it's tough but fair from what I played.

Hey GAF, what are the best ice level names you can think of? I have one in mind but I'm just curious.

SMB3 style level.
Ice guys always finish last...
Okay I wouldn't name a stage that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that part is what I meant by I uploaded too early. I think that part needed tweaking, or at least I should have made a makeshift checkpoint just before that so they didn't have to start again.

i liked your p-block level though!

Yeah, so... do you guys have an oral fixation when you're drawing/thinking a lot?
I have a habit of putting the damn stylus in my mouth when I'm thinking through something.

And last night I bit the "back" end off the damn thing working on a level XD

DoubleYou

No pictures this time but I had a cool idea and it worked out pretty great.
It's kind of a multilayered autoscroller that makes you climb up through doors.
Each time you start over at the start of the stage but at a higher level.

If anyone would like to test and comment on this that would be great.
I'll try to do the same for you. :)

Third Time's The Charm.
EDIT: Found a mistake, new upload coming

New ID: 002D-0000-0043-30DA

KingBroly

Banned
I'll post this again since I posted it early today, but my new level.

I Wanna Be The Mario
ID: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

Completion Percentage: 0.52%

Jucksalbe

Banned
I made a Metroid like level, there are few enemy encounters or platforming, almost everything is based on puzzles:
t97gJEF.jpg

ID: 1FFE-0000-0041-91A0
Tip: Your goal is to find the objects and power-ups to solve every blockade, you don't have to pull off any crazy stunts.

Who will be the first to find the exit?

Any feedback will be appreciated :)

Just reached the exit. I liked how most areas had multiple ways of reaching them, though I'm not sure all of them are intended. Especially the way I finally solved the level.
Got the first mushroom, ran far enough to the left to see the feather spawn, followed it down and took the hit from the big Thwomp to get it
, which kinda ignored most areas.
I thought the way you have to get the Yoshi is a bit unfair, since you can't really see it when kicking the shell. You can also jump that row of flowers with a spin jump if you're small. And if you reach the left area without a feather (and you're small), you have to kill yourself, maybe a one-way exit back into the level would help there.
But anyway, I really liked the level, looking everywhere for the exit was a lot of fun. Good thing it couldn't really be seen.

Just finished Mariotroid, you did a great job, for moments it felt like a real Metroid game. That moment
when you enter Mother Brain´s chamber
was fantastic!! The way you used the enemies or the location of the powerups and shorcuts, I was getting Metroid vibes all the time. I really enjoyed it, congratulations!

Thanks! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those who have played my Storm the Stronghold level and thought it was too unfair, I've made changes to it.

D434-0000-0043-1C36
New code: F6C7-0000-0043-DA6C

It now has some mushrooms scattered about. I've made an attempt at giving a hint on how one should deal with Hammer Bros and the sub level was redone completely (it had no focus as I was really just playing with ideas) so now the level should be much more coherent.

Kebiinu

Banned

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

This sounds fun! I'm gonna partake, so I'll play your stage now, my code is below. Where can I catch your stream?

Aeroskies
UYzHoqN.jpg

Stage ID: 17D1-0000-0040-D11A

OmegaDL50

I think this is my most challenging but fair level. Please give a try and tell me what you think.

WVW69iZLx1IikGDD4t

Bowser's Piranha Plant Tower

72AE-0000-0043-2481

Top Bottom