• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

DoubleYou

Post a code for a level and I'll stream a playthrough of it in about an hour. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served. I'll stream until about 6PM Eastern.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try:

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I wanted something in the SMB1 style that felt very un-SMB1, so this is a "vertical" air ship stage, to the extent that the game can let you disguise sub-areas as multiple segments, anyway. There are 5 distinct areas: ground, sky, outside the ship, inside the ship, and the captain's deck. It's probably too difficult for the average player, but I tried to at least keep the difficulty to precision platforming and not bullshit trolls. You can either see or react to pretty much everything that's coming.

Third Time's The Charm.
ID: 002D-0000-0043-30DA
:)

Pinky

Banned
Post a code for a level and I'll stream a playthrough of it in about an hour. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served. I'll stream until about 6PM Eastern.

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I wanted something in the SMB1 style that felt very un-SMB1, so this is a "vertical" air ship stage, to the extent that the game can let you disguise sub-areas as multiple segments, anyway. There are 5 distinct areas: ground, sky, outside the ship, inside the ship, and the captain's deck. It's probably too difficult for the average player, but I tried to at least keep the difficulty to precision platforming and not bullshit trolls. You can either see or react to pretty much everything that's coming.

One I'm proud of. Just uploaded it last night.

Plants in the Abyss

78B4-0000-003F-EC06

For those who have played my Storm the Stronghold level and thought it was too unfair, I've made changes to it.

D434-0000-0043-1C36

It now has some mushrooms scattered about. I've made an attempt at giving a hint on how one should deal with Hammer Bros and the sub level was redone completely (it had no focus as I was really just playing with ideas) so now the level should be much more coherent.

You get a star for visual goodness, clever use of the rail to make a drawbridge look.
But maaaan fuckin' hammer bros, this is my special hell, I eventually beat it but I still think less of those kinda unpredictable bros could be in order.
The staircase before the cannon gap is hell until I went over the previous fort, on the other hand crossing the vast gap with the cannonball tower is rad.

Sölf

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

Well, here is my level:

Andarro's Mansion:
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C

A pretty normal one, but would like to see someone else play it. :D
Also, could you post a link to your stream? I will give your level later a shot.

Xenoboy

I played Expert Mario Challenge again today and somehow ended up with around 50 lives :D
I actually got better levels today than previous times, maybe it's starting to change...

It probably isn't

Theorymon

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Since I always got the impression that you're a more hardcore Mario player (since you love lost levels about as much as I do probably :D), I don't think the goomba level people have been talking about here is gonna appeal much to you, since I made that one more around a story than platforming.

Instead, I'll give you my first course, which only 2 people have seemed to clear so far. It's based around using sound effects to tell you when to guage your jump (and you should always be dashing since you're sonic lol), but I'm worried I may have made this one too unfair. Since you're really good at Mario, I want you to be the judge!

Sonic's Spindash Symphony! 4C09-0000-001E-B5F1

I made a fun little level. I wanted to try out to see what I could make aesthetically with some of the tools so I made a cool bridge. Not really difficult but there are some secrets to find.

9gAQU7U.jpg

Level ID: 87A6-0000-0043-2BC7

Check it out if you want.

Oidisco

I kinda want to see you play my Yoshi level since it's easily my best, but instead I'll for a different one.

The Forgotten Fortress:
483C-0000-003E-38A7

It's kinda tough and pretty long, so don't spend too much time on it if you don't want to. Also the final section of the Fortress is kinda bad and I apologise for it, the block limitations ruined my plans for that part.

And I'll play your level once I start playing Mario Maker again later tonight

One I'm proud of. Just uploaded it last night.

Plants in the Abyss

78B4-0000-003F-EC06

I can't believe I got killed by the buzzy beetle right by the door, I just dropped down perfectly in front of him instead of on him.
But I did it in the end *sweatin'*
Nice tricky stage, shame that pipes spawning piranha plants have this odd delay in this game, makes some of those winged one come out of nowhere.

JRBechard

Raid Bowser's Floating Fort - 9DEF-0000-0033-41C8

Your level seems similar to mine! I'll check it out tonight!

I've been trying to get people to play this one: 4E90-0000-003F-918E

Apparently it is much harder than I intended based on comments on this thread and I would be interested in seeing a video of it. It's a moving platform and conveyer belt based level, something with very light puzzle element, I guess I could say.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
yeah, finished the first one, died on bowser on the second and rage quit :p
If this game had checkpoints I would have put a checkpoint before the bowser section! That's the trouble making challenging stages. People get frustrated when they have to repeat long sections.

Also I deleted the mushroom course and reuploaded it allowing you to restart that final bit if you fail by just going in the warp pipe taking damage and coming out.

New ID is 93F4-0000-0043-2E6D

At least the ending is less annoying now.

McNum

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

I'm late to the party here, but if you have time, could you give my Boo's Inverted Haunt a spin (or ten)?

Boo's Inverted Haunt
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51

Seems like people like it quite a lot. Which is awesome, I couldn't have hoped for a better reception.

I'll try yours now. I have a weakness for Airship levels.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Hope I'm still in time. Would love to see someone else play it.
I'd really like to get some feedback about this level I just published:

The Cube: 9 Rooms, 9 Challenges

(36A3-0000-0038-EC1B)

WpLv3OC.jpg

It's loosely inspired by the movie The Cube, and features nine 1-screen rooms arranged in a 3x3 square with different traps inside.
I wanted to make a puzzley level with small, self-contained rooms, and experiment with backtracking and permanent changes to the environment. Which proved itself to be quite the challenge.

Not all rooms are mandatory to complete, some lead to the three 1up mushrooms hidden around, and one features an optional puzzle whose completion can make your life a bit easier later on.

Short but enjoyable, i liked the concept and the puzzle rooms.

Thanks. I played and starred two of your levels. The 'Trial By Fire' and the 'Assault the Machine Fort' levels. I starred both but didn't finish either. I died at the bosses (?) a lot and it was a bind to have to keep going back. It's a shame because the levels are well designed but I think your levels, more than many I have played, suffer through lack of checkpoints. A checkpoint just before the boss room would have been a godsend for me. I wanted to continue but having to start again was a bit of a downer.

All that being said, the levels are really well designed, With the exception of one or two elements that annoyed me - those FUCKIN lava cheeps ;) and those Boos whose presence I kept forgetting about because I was too busy trying not to be killed by other stuff. Good Job though - enjoyed them.

Pinky

Banned
I can't believe I got killed by the buzzy beetle right by the door, I just dropped down perfectly in front of him instead of on him.
But I did it in the end *sweatin'*
Nice tricky stage, shame that pipes spawning piranha plants have this odd delay in this game, makes some of those winged one come out of nowhere.

Hey, thanks for trying it out. :) I agree that the spawning of the piranhas is off and slightly frustrating. I noticed it when building/playing the level. Proceeding with caution is definitely encouraged.

Nohar

Name: 1-1 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3
ID code: 315C-0000-003E-363A

I don't expect to win the contest with this, but I know that if I don't post one level now, I probably never will.

/end submission

My others levels so far (all "Classic/Traditional").
I won't post again those levels in the future.

Name: 1-2 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3
Notes: One hidden 1UP
ID code: EC10-0000-003E-FEC1

Name: 1-3 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Aquatic)
ID code: BD2B-0000-0041-DAEC

Name: 1-5 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Scrolling - Slow)
ID code: 29F6-0000-0042-F5AB

And now, time to try this Ghost House everyone is gushing about~

List of new stages posted elsewhere on GAF:
Name: 1-4 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Castle)
Notes: Two hidden 1UP
ID code: 758E-0000-0045-95B9
Original post

Name: 1-6 Janus' House Diff: ★★★☆☆
World: Super Mario Land (Ghost House)
ID code: 113E-0000-0046-D305
Notes: Two hidden 1UP
Original post

Name: 1-7 Diff: ★★★☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Underground)
ID code: F85D-0000-004B-E9D1
Notes: One hidden 1UP + 102 coins in total
Original post

Name: 1-8 Diff: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Airship - Autoscrolling)
ID code: 0775-0000-0056-1401
Original post

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'll post this again since I posted it early today, but my new level.

I Wanna Be The Mario
ID: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

Completion Percentage: 0.52%
Tried it earlier and died a lot eventually giving up. It's super short so it does have that addictive one more try thing going for it. I'll try to beat it again later.

Gsnap

98A3-0000-0038-2E02

Hope you like it! I'll make sure to play your level soon.

Secret of Magenta Mines: B279-0000-0034-1EB8
Difficulty: Beginner
Length: Short (Replayable)
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground

I don't even care if you get to my level; I'm excited to tune in. Should be fun getting live reactions from everyone.

And now, time to try this Ghost House everyone is gushing about~

If it's the plumbing one, you're in for a treat!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71 Hansey
3681-0000-002F-ECEB I Wanna Be The Guy
2B43-0000-0038-3F06 octopiggy
E9AE-0000-0039-9511 SuperJay
2397-0000-003F-B983 ElectricBlanketFire
17D1-0000-0040-D11A Kebiinu
72AE-0000-0043-2481 OmegaDL50
2FED-0000-0043-077A DoubleYou
78B4-0000-003F-EC06 Pinky
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf
4C09-0000-001E-B5F1 Theorymon
483C-0000-003E-38A7 Oidisco
9DEF-0000-0033-41C8 JRBechard
4E90-0000-003F-918E KittenMaster
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51 McNum
36A3-0000-0038-EC1B Jocchan

I'll be playing for about 90 to 120 minutes. We'll see if I can get through all of these.

rawk

Raiders of the Lost Coin
9B89-0000-003F-247B

Raiders of the Lost Ark themed level.

Whoops, one post too late! Have fun with the stream!

Farmboy

My first attempt at a full-fledged level. Was aiming for an original take on SMW-style Ghost Houses. Feedback very welcome!

Honorable Mansion

Difficulty: Medium
I hope. This is the third version, trying to get the balance right. Earlier versions turned out too hard.
Tileset: Super Mario World
ID-code: 6298-0000-0043-30D2

WVW69iZL4OwaI6Mjvt

AdanVC

This is a spot on article from Kotaku about the (awful) way Course World displays levels to play and how is it ruinning the opportunity to find actual good levels. It also tells some ideas Nintendo could add to improve level finding.

Hardcore Mario fans are exasperated right now—it’s really difficult to find good Mario Maker levels.

Want to play gimmick levels, auto run levels, slight variations on 1-1, and hilariously difficult levels with poor game design? You can find those anywhere in the brand-new Wii U game. It’s flooded with them.

I’ve seen blame cast on the players, but a flaw in game is partially responsible, as is the fact that, as a society we’re just not all good enough at making games yet.

The real issue, which Thomsen misses, is that the game does not do a good enough job of highlighting worthwhile levels.

Mario Maker’s current system makes it so that the popular levels only become more popular. Less than 24 hours in, the levels highlighted in Course World became more or less locked-in. I know them by heart now. Sure, the “Featured” tab cycles through a wider selection of levels than the “Starred” tab, but after spending some time refreshing its options, it became clear to me that it also selects from a specific, limited pool. The “Up and Coming” tab feels similarly useless. I’ve had to resort to readers emailing me their levels, and crawling around forums such as Reddit and neoGAF to sniff out what’s worth playing—because there ARE plenty of fantastic levels. Mario Maker just sucks at showing them to you.

Mario Maker needs better sorting tools. The addition of a specific section for automatic levels could do wonders, for example. We don’t need to get rid of that sort of level—people love them! But levels that play themselves aren’t the only things that Mario purists want to play, and for them it’s pretty irritating to see these types of levels inundate the most visible portions of Mario Maker.

http://kotaku.com/crappy-levels-are-not-ruining-super-mario-maker-1731128413

DoubleYou

11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf

I'll be playing for about 90 to 120 minutes. We'll see if I can get through all of these.

Hey man, great! Ill be watching.
But I had to reupload my stage so could you play 002D-0000-0043-30DA instead of that one? Thanks ;)

Pinky

Banned

11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf

Sadly, I'll be at work for a few more hours, so I'll miss the live streams. Do you plan on permanently uploading the playthroughs once you're finished?

Nohar

If it's the plumbing one, you're in for a treat!

And indeed I was! I loved it! :D The gimmick itself is simple, but it is done very well (it must have taken a few hours to replicate the levels correctly and time the platforms perfectly ~ I wouldn't have thought to use them like that to enter pipes). An incredibly enjoyable level.

suikodan

Here are the four levels I created from oldest to latest.

Jump the bullet!!!
C24D8299-7E9D-4575-A459-0CDCD41908B4_zpsu76k4gte.jpg

(2AFE-0000-0021-9FB1)

A simple and short level requiring some skills. An unintended shortcut can be used to finish the level.

Bowser and son
8637392D-CFE1-47EC-972F-16B2B6198ACC_zpspufvtgvj.jpg

(378F-0000-0025-83F9)

An attempt at multiple ways to clear the level, each way with its own challenges.

Bowser digs a hole!
678D9211-D1BC-4D60-AAA9-543EE10D4D21_zpsn0jgpa8x.jpg

(A52F-0000-0032-57B5)

A recreation of SMB3's final fight but with something rewarding at the bottom!

Mario, Jr and the magical door.
7EBB6672-08B1-4229-859B-E79B7FBDABED_zps8m7opuid.jpg

(F9DF-0000-0033-4AA1)

Another level with shortcuts and surprises. Can you solve the mystery of the magical door?

Let me know what you think! Don't hesitate to follow me! I'll do the same on my side! :D

Hasney

Tried all these other than the underwater one and really liked them, nice work!

Was going to make a suggestion about changing the colours of the square platforms since they were all beige in the first two, but that fixed itself up by 1-5, so you worked it out!

EDIT: based on the streaming right now, doesn't look like you can star levels or get a play notice when they're downloaded which is a pain if you wanted to download a ton and play through them.

If this game had checkpoints I would have put a checkpoint before the bowser section! That's the trouble making challenging stages. People get frustrated when they have to repeat long sections.

Also I deleted the mushroom course and reuploaded it allowing you to restart that final bit if you fail by just going in the warp pipe taking damage and coming out.

New ID is 93F4-0000-0043-2E6D

At least the ending is less annoying now.

And boy am I glad that ending was changed, that was almost heartbreak right there at the end.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When you can actually see how people are dying on your stage it's so much easier to see what you should have done. It's so hard to judge things when I can consistently get past my own challenges.

The Great Goomba Escape!!
0B98-0000-0033-BE02

As a trapped Goomba in Bowser's torture castle, you must escape -- with your friends if you dare.

exfatal

Edited and reuploaded my new stage fixed some major flaws in the stage. And adjusted timer to make it a bit more time to look around. Hopefully you guys try it and can give me some feed back. Looking for ways to make it better.
The first bit is suppose to be traffic :p

Dont dare be late for work!!
ID: 42D1-0000-0043-4832

Nosgotham

Got another one!

The Keymaker's Manor
(4F8F-0000-0042-A981)

Several doors here, while none are necessary to finish, but they just might make your fight with Bowser a tad easier.

Check out my other levels too. Some are tough, some are just for fun.

I'm loving everyone's levels. I wish we could make a community in game that just has gaf levels

Crisium

Introducing,

Forgiving Blocks and Vines

A relatively focused level based on navigating blocks and vines. It ranges from easy to moderately challenging - nothing outlandish. But to make it truly forgiving, I have included quasi checkpoints.

Play it to see what I mean, it makes missing a jump turn from "Grrr I lost a life now to replay the whole stage" to "Oh, a minor setback, let me try again". There are a few points where death can await though - I'm no saint.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepxxsqx.jpg

DDD8-0000-0044-3A69

Please give me feedback, I want to see if this is a good quasi checkpoint system for platforming. Utterly new players may still be unable to beat the level, but anyone else hopefully finds it to be a well balanced, forgiving level that is hopefully a major relief from overexposure to Kaizo.

My previous levels, of which 3 is my favourite still:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Youtube playthrough

Really good level. It's challenging but never unfair... well apart from one little bit.

If you miss the pipe to enter the airship you do land safely on some clouds for a second chance. However, having a second go on the blue platform will prove a lot harder the second time as now the canon has had a chance to shoot multiple spinies since you have to wait for the blue platform to return whereas the first time across you only need to contend with one.

Robin64

Wow, just had a level in 100 Mario Challenge that drops to somewhere around 15fps. I didn't even think it was possible.

402A-0000-0035-7697

Insane.

(Also the level is fucking shit)

Nosgotham

Repost from the bottom of last page

Got another one!

The Keymaker's Manor
(4F8F-0000-0042-A981)

Several doors here, while none are necessary to finish, but they just might make your fight with Bowser a tad easier.

Check out my other levels too. Some are tough, some are just for fun.

I'm loving everyone's levels. I wish we could make a community in game that just has gaf levels

VandalD

I've reworked an old level of mine to both make it a bit easier and less tedious. Really helps to see even one person play your stuff.

Blast your way through a few walls and use either Bowser or Bowser Jr.'s abilities against themselves to beat the stage.

Break past Bowser or B.Junior v2
320F-0000-0041-C91B
TVQis2A.jpg

exfatal

Alright Gaf in super good mood, and wanna play some stages that seem to get ignored and want some critic on them by semi-pro mario player. Just quote me and tell me ur stage ID and what ever idea u were going for or something. and i'll give it a whirl. My Wii ID is Edge so if i don't get back to commenting on here i probably left u comment on miiverse. Alright let the Kazio mario stages come. my body is ready.
Also if u have the time try out some of the stages i made would also love some feed back

Top Bottom