• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Uploaded this set a few days ago and forgot to post here

Super Nando Bros. Episode 1 is out now!

1-1: 77F6-0000-0030-1C48
1-2: 6116-0000-0030-6C52
1-3: D181-0000-0030-9DB0
1-4: 59EC-0000-0030-BFD2

This is me trying to make legitimate mario levels with some occasional, slight twists and my own spin on secrets. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think! I also have another 6 levels you can find on my profile, so please give me a follow if you like what you see!

correojon

Just reached the exit. I liked how most areas had multiple ways of reaching them, though I'm not sure all of them are intended. Especially the way I finally solved the level.
Got the first mushroom, ran far enough to the left to see the feather spawn, followed it down and took the hit from the big Thwomp to get it
, which kinda ignored most areas.
I thought the way you have to get the Yoshi is a bit unfair, since you can't really see it when kicking the shell. You can also jump that row of flowers with a spin jump if you're small. And if you reach the left area without a feather (and you're small), you have to kill yourself, maybe a one-way exit back into the level would help there.
But anyway, I really liked the level, looking everywhere for the exit was a lot of fun. Good thing it couldn't really be seen.
Haha no, you weren´t suppose to get the feather that way, I´ll have to block the way better. Also, the problem you describe when getting Yoshi is part of the puzzle: just go right until the egg spawns, then go to where you can kick the shell; you can see the moving platform from there, so you just have to time your kick with the platform.
Not once when testing the level did I think of getting to the leftmost part without the feather; I´ll have to look into that too. Thanks a lot for the comments, you´ve given me a lot of ideas to correct the level´s flaws :)

If you want to try beating it the "correct" way, the order of powerups should be:
mushroom, flower, helmet, Yoshi, feather, starman

Hasney

Great stage one of the few Ashley stages i liked, and ghost mansion stage. As for suggestion maybe a few trick doors perhaps and maybe even a giant magikoopa boss fight would spice things up near the end or in a secret room perhaps? Either way great stage.
Alright time to try out some more stages.

Cheers for the feedback man. Yeah, I know what you mean though. After playing an amazing ghost stage in this very thread, I realised I should aim higher with a ghost stage, so I'm going to give it a shot soon!

zeioIIDX

Finally finished a remix of Flash Man's level from Mega Man 2! I built it to spec as best as I could, right down to the enemy placement and proper enemy substitute as well as the same amount of blocks used in the original level. Of course the scale is different in Super Mario Maker though. Anyway, I had fun making this so give it a try if you like Mega Man!

MM2 Flash Man Remix
3316-0000-0043-A782

These completion rates have me convinced that the majority of today's gamers outright suck at playing video games.

Perhaps this is why Nintendo's modern games are piss-easy compared to those they developed for the NES and even SNES (and, to a limited extent, N64).

Hasney

Wow! Straight forward, no gimmicks and enough secrets to warrant a replay! Feels like it came from Nintendo themselves.

Great job, no complaints.

<3. Thanks for the play man. Can't wait for this 1-1 contest next month, think there's going to be a lot of good stages around that one theme!
These completion rates have me convinced that the majority of today's gamers outright suck at playing video games.

Perhaps this is why Nintendo's modern games are piss-easy compared to those on the NES and even SNES (and, to a limited extent, N64).

Seriously, I was amazed that level I'm talking about in this post was down in the 30% range before GAF started playing. It wasn't even like some people were skipping in 100 Mario or something, going by attempts to players, a couple failed multiple times.

I feel sorry if any of those people ended up buy New Super Luigi U

WolvenOne

Need some input here. I made a fairly basic level called Verticality Mk2, but so far nobody besides myself seems to have cleared it. I didn't think I had made it THAT challenging.

23A5-0000-00-40-8CCE

I might have to rework it, if it's too tough.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
My daughter and I made a castle stage together. CFCD-0000-0043-8698

Simple as can be with still limited resources, but for a six year old, not a bad first try considering she only watches me play video games and tells me what to do. She might just have a future as a creative design lead.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My level was way less unfair than this. I think what I'm learning is that I either have to make my levels less punishing/easier or I need to fill my levels with utter bullshit just so at least has that interesting super unfair factor that makes for a fun stream.

Hasney

My level was way less unfair than this. I think what I'm learning is that I either have to make my levels less punishing/easier or I need to fill my levels with utter bullshit just so at least has that interesting super unfair factor that makes for a fun stream.
Or make an autoplay level. The amount of times I get them is annoying, then I look at the stats after and see some with hundreds of stars.

Seriously, I was amazed that level I'm talking about in this post was down in the 30% range before GAF started playing. It wasn't even like some people were skipping in 100 Mario or something, going by attempts to players, a couple failed multiple times.

Yeah, my very first level (which you can see here) isn't overly difficult by any means, yet its completion rate sits right around 30% as well. It seriously blows my mind. I figured today's gamers weren't quite as skilled as those in the "old days," but I didn't realize they were this bad.

Or make an autoplay level. The amount of times I get them is annoying, then I look at the stats after and see some with hundreds of stars.

What I've learned thus far (aside from most people sucking) is that most people also clearly prefer gimmickry over levels that have strong gameplay and replay value.

ohNOitsRO

Ok thanks to the feedback of a fellow Gaffer I have made some adjustments to my level! Would love some feedback on it now, definitely made it friendlier this time around!

Gripvine Central
Side scrolling vine gripping, saw dodging, tense ride! Hold on tight!
ID: F91D-0000-0043-888D

Leave me some levels going through Gaf levels again!!

I really need 20 more stars :( I wanna keep uploading but my 10 current levels just don't have exposure :(

JPickford

Yeah, my very first level (which you can see here) isn't overly difficult by any means, yet its completion rate sits right around 30% as well. It seriously blows my mind. I figured gamers these days weren't quite as skilled as those in the "old days," but I didn't realize they were that bad.

30% means it took an average of 3.x lives to complete. That's normal for a moderate level. It doesn't mean only 30% of players could finish it.

It's a shame nintendo didn't include a way to quick upload videos. I'd really like to see people doing some of these courses. I know I'm probably in the minority but I find this game more fun to watch than play, lol.

kinggroin

Banned
Sure, why not :p

EF7B-0000-0040-BE85

Tips:

Show ahead of time that blue platforms fall. Better to have the death fall completely on the shoulders of the player since you taught them first. Also, the spin jump at the height of jumps isn't known by a lot of people (evidenced by the death spots) so maybe make the player jump high and have some coins at the peakread ZR or something.

Also, you can take the Lakitu cloud over the first few set of spikes, making the level WAY easier.

Once I got the flow down, it was fun to use muscle memory and memory-memory to follow the coins (well, most of them) to victory.

Naar

this game needs a dislike button :\

sick of getting into levels where you die immediately at start if you dont move quickly

also just made my first 1 screen level!

B74B-0000-0043-74EE

"I Can See It!"

jholmes

No level from me today so the second level I've come across at random that I feel like sharing:

Take your time (but hurry up!) by BoukenLou

As you might imagine, time is tight and you have to run. But this SMB3 level, while short, is well laid out. Not hard so much as hectic -- in a good way!

FF93-0000-003C-16B7

It's just about getting eyes on your stuff. Of course if you have a following online you're going to get a bit more attention and people are going to give your levels more of a chance, because your fans will want to see what you're making. I would try to not get discouraged and let your levels speak for themselves. With half the game being about creation, unless you have people specifically seeking you out, it's going to take time for your stuff to rise to the top even if it's great.

Well said. Anyone who has a shortcut to those eyeballs, I can't begrudge them for it -- if you're proud of a good level, why wouldn't you tell everyone? -- but the game doesn't do a good job of evening that out for those who don't.

Perhaps this is why Nintendo's modern games are piss-easy compared to those they developed for the NES and even SNES (and, to a limited extent, N64).

A lot of people on 100-Mario try a level like once and give up. If you think completion rates are low, compare the number of players to the number of completes. It's ridiculous.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a shame nintendo didn't include a way to quick upload videos. I'd really like to see people doing some of these courses. I know I'm probably in the minority but I find this game more fun to watch than play, lol.

I just wish I could watch people playing my stages so I can see what people are having trouble with.

Rodin

Fucking wow at the Washington Post review. They basically insulted every single person that created a level with the editor.

cyba89

iorjqBe.jpg

This game is such a huge time sink.

ohNOitsRO

Community Submission Challenge Mario 1-1

Heh, forgot to what to put exactly to formally submit a level

Mario 101

ID:CFBA-0000-003B-85A2

Fuck it, I made this level as a 1-1 design but it might be a littttllee tougher than that, but whatever can't hurt to submit!

Hasney

Fucking wow at the Washington Post review. They basically insulted every single person that created a level with the editor.

The problem is, if you go in and play 100 Mario mode or even just use the course finder, that's the impression you come away with in general. Nintendo really have to patch in some way of finding courses people want to play who want a Mario experience or at least another platformer experience and want to go away from the autoplay and the enemy spam.

Some of the levels in here are genuinely great, but a lot of people uploading are either kids or just uploading some bullshit because they can and if Nintendo doesn't want others to have a similar impression, they need to act.

If someone buys this because they want to play and see what the world has to offer, they're going to have a bad time.
I just wish I could watch people playing my stages so I can see what people are having trouble with.

Same. At the very least, see the trace of Mario's movement like we can see when playing around in the editor

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you want to try beating it the "correct" way, the order of powerups should be:
mushroom, flower, helmet, Yoshi, feather, starman

Oh, you can also get Yoshi early by
using the P switch at the beginning twice to get through the blocks on the right and either run through the flowers or using the shell of the red Koopa to clear the flowers
, if I remember that right.

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1
0GhLSDz.png

Easy Breezy (1-1)
EF0C-0000-0043-911B

WVW69iZMrKMtz_tR_Q

All the excitement of teaching players how a few things work SMW style.
Witness enemies slowly strolling towards you in a way that will make you think "I better jump up here!", marvel at the coins directing you to exciting discoveries and you don't even need the run button.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Need some input here. I made a fairly basic level called Verticality Mk2, but so far nobody besides myself seems to have cleared it. I didn't think I had made it THAT challenging.

23A5-0000-00-40-8CCE

I might have to rework it, if it's too tough.

I don't think you need to change it at all. It was a fun challenge, with only that last Thwomp confusing me for a bit (my own fault).

exfatal

If you could run through this very short level of mine multiple times (or download it and move yourself around), I'd appreciate it. There are five different paths with different themes that will all lead to a different route to the flag at the end. I'd like a guinea pig to give me feedback on it as a whole. I feel like most just run through it once and only get to see like a fifth of the work I've put in. :(

The themes of each path are: a standard (albeit short) level, a coin vault, a mysterious factory, flora taking over through years of neglect, and an infestation.

Secret of Magenta Mines: B279-0000-0034-1EB8
Difficulty: Beginner
Length: Short (Replayable)
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground
Clear rate: 59%

Man this is the second time i enjoyed your clever stages, love the digging aspect and the puzzle to get into the pipe. Anyways got a saying if it happens twice it'll probably happening thrice, time to replay and try to find the other ways to complete it.
subscribed can't wait to play some more of your stages.

I really wanted to make a SMW caste stage, love the music. It's called Bowser Jr. Well Protected: 1252-0000-0043-54D1. I'd love to get some feedback and feel free to check out my other courses.

CPDaifrVEAAGUCD.jpg:medium
Super Fun stage and great boss fight at the end, was pretty surprised when i found the secret at the end was ready to stand my ground against the asshole. It really felt like i was exploring the castle, maybe if u added a bit more routes to explore and find things would make the stage even better.

I'd love somebody to take a look at Take the A-Train (F5F2-0000-0040-42D2). I posted it late last night and it got rather buried (nobody has cleared it yet). It's an SMB castle stage, fairly straightforward but with multiple pathways throughout and 3 1UPs to find.

I'll be taking a break from stage creation myself to play through some of the latest ones in this thread. Things move so quickly here that every time I load up the game I can only get through a handful from the last few pages.

Unrelatedly, I had my first run-in with the censor today: tried to save a stage as "Yoshi test" and was informed it wouldn't fly. Surely they wouldn't block "Yoshi"? (Turns out they blocked "shi t".)

Super fun and challenging, was getting frustrated with all the thomps. till i found the helmet.. then lost it instantly cause i had to make a jump under a thowmp and lost it cause it was too low.. my only complaint really other wise it was a fantastic stage, hard but not unfair. except the thwomp thing..

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The problem is, if you go in and play 100 Mario mode or even just use the course finder, that's the impression you come away with in general. Nintendo really have to patch in some way of finding courses people want to play who want a Mario experience or at least another platformer experience and want to go away from the autoplay and the enemy spam.

Some of the levels in here are genuinely great, but a lot of people uploading are either kids or just uploading some bullshit because they can and if Nintendo doesn't want others to have a similar impression, they need to act.

If someone buys this because they want to play and see what the world has to offer, they're going to have a bad time.

Same. At the very least, see the trace of Mario's movement like we can see when playing around in the editor
You should be able to click on the x's on your map to see exactly that.

Sölf

Made a speedrun version out of one of my levels:

Andarro's Plains Speedrun
F8FD-0000-0043-0153

It's the exact same as the normal level, but ou only have 30 seconds to beat it. I managed it in 24, the fastest I've seen was 21. Since you have a few seconds leeway you may actually be able to play it safe at a few tight spots.

Next time I do something like this, I build the speedrun version first and then just increase the time for the normal version. xD

Rodin

This is true, but the editor is still fantastic and intuitive and like you said many levels are pretty good, so i think there's really no need to say the game is crap and to do such a generalization; i also found it pretty insulting towards all the people who are busting their asses to make good levels, i read people here saying that it took them many hours to make one. Sure, there's a lot of poorly designed courses as well, but i think it's normal: like any other game you have to understand how it works before getting better, i have no doubts that many people will improve their output by keep designing levels and understanding their flaws (especially with the help of the community, playing other people's works and reading other people's feedbacks means a lot here), whilst others will keep making bad stuff for the reasons you said. Still, this is not an issue caused by the game, which in fact gives you the best, simplest and most intuitive tools to make really good stuff, and many levels already are out there to prove this fact.

WolvenOne

I don't think you need to change it at all. It was a fun challenge, with only that last Thwomp confusing me for a bit (my own fault).

Yea, I'm rather proud of the way I set-up that last Thwomp. Wanted the stage to end on a slightly novel note, but I didn't want to challenge players TOO hard by that point.

StayDead

And so, my second world begins. This time with Mario 3 and there's 100 coins to collect!

R4QHW9F.png

I think I'll try collating my levels into one post then when I do that go back and follow a few more people from here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71 Hansey
3681-0000-002F-ECEB I Wanna Be The Guy
2B43-0000-0038-3F06 octopiggy
E9AE-0000-0039-9511 SuperJay
2397-0000-003F-B983 ElectricBlanketFire
17D1-0000-0040-D11A Kebiinu
72AE-0000-0043-2481 OmegaDL50
2FED-0000-0043-077A DoubleYou
78B4-0000-003F-EC06 Pinky
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf
4C09-0000-001E-B5F1 Theorymon
483C-0000-003E-38A7 Oidisco
9DEF-0000-0033-41C8 JRBechard
4E90-0000-003F-918E KittenMaster
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51 McNum
36A3-0000-0038-EC1B Jocchan

I'll be playing for about 90 to 120 minutes. We'll see if I can get through all of these.
Thanks!

No level from me today so the second level I've come across at random that I feel like sharing:

Take your time (but hurry up!) by BoukenLou

As you might imagine, time is tight and you have to run. But this SMB3 level, while short, is well laid out. Not hard so much as hectic -- in a good way!

FF93-0000-003C-16B7

Well said. Anyone who has a shortcut to those eyeballs, I can't begrudge them for it -- if you're proud of a good level, why wouldn't you tell everyone? -- but the game doesn't do a good job of evening that out for those who don't.

A lot of people on 100-Mario try a level like once and give up. If you think completion rates are low, compare the number of players to the number of completes. It's ridiculous.

I play the gaf levels to completion. But I will only deal with 100 man mario bullshit to a degree. The shit in Expert is fucking awful full stop

PSqueak

Banned
Thanks. I played and starred two of your levels. The 'Trial By Fire' and the 'Assault the Machine Fort' levels. I starred both but didn't finish either. I died at the bosses (?) a lot and it was a bind to have to keep going back. It's a shame because the levels are well designed but I think your levels, more than many I have played, suffer through lack of checkpoints. A checkpoint just before the boss room would have been a godsend for me. I wanted to continue but having to start again was a bit of a downer.

All that being said, the levels are really well designed, With the exception of one or two elements that annoyed me - those FUCKIN lava cheeps ;) and those Boos whose presence I kept forgetting about because I was too busy trying not to be killed by other stuff. Good Job though - enjoyed them.

I really need to chill out with the hazards hahaha and yes, i would love to have check points because so far all my levels have off beat Bosses, i have an obssesion for Boss fights...

...And vertical levels, i REALLY need to make something that is not vertical, but right now it's not the day because...

oZxucqC.jpg

Hail-Fire Peaks
ID: BE6A 0000 0043 A967
Tile Set: Super Mario Bros. 3
Worlds: Underground, Castle

I legit think this one is on the easy side because i put many power ups around and there is no boss battle in the end. Inspired by the Banjo-Tooie level of the same name. Unsurprisingly, yes, it's a vertical action heavy level.

Yay!! Just unlocked all the tools so now I can make a level with more variety in it.

My second level with moderate difficulty.

Yoshi' Springboard Spring
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB

MouldyK

Oh, you're going to have doors underwater which send you back to the start and have Spike Walls underwater I have to navigate?

I don't give out stars, but if I did, this guy would never get one.

Top Bottom