• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Just bit on this for £28. GOODBYE MGS V!

Anyway, kinda hyped. Not sure what to expect or if i'll fall in love. Hope I do, hated Mario Kart U and haven't turned my console on in a long ass time. Man, I miss Nintendo :/

MouldyK

Oooh, a Maze Level where you can get a mushroom after running a long path...only to realise you can't exit the hole after...

...skip.

Jobbs

Banned
Oooh, a Maze Level where you can get a mushroom after running a long path...only to realise you can't exit the hole after...

...skip.

A core consideration in all my levels is that they always be finishable with no dead ends or moments of "standing on solid ground but unable to finish". Mix that with some branching paths and optional risk/reward spots.

Nohar

If you could run through this very short level of mine multiple times (or download it and move yourself around), I'd appreciate it. There are five different paths with different themes that will all lead to a different route to the flag at the end. I'd like a guinea pig to give me feedback on it as a whole. I feel like most just run through it once and only get to see like a fifth of the work I've put in. :(

The themes of each path are: a standard (albeit short) level, a coin vault, a mysterious factory, flora taking over through years of neglect, and an infestation.

Secret of Magenta Mines: B279-0000-0034-1EB8
Difficulty: Beginner
Length: Short (Replayable)
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground
Clear rate: 59%

I gave your level a try, and I must say it was an interesting ride! A little frustrating at first, until I understand the "secret" of the mines. In hindsight, it was a fairly obvious hint. I found 2 routes, and I'll try the other ones tomorrow I think :)

MouldyK

A core consideration in all my levels is that they always be finishable with no dead ends or moments of "standing on solid ground but unable to finish". Mix that with some branching paths and optional risk/reward spots.

Oooh, a level where you have to move in 2 seconds as Koopa Turtles are coming at you...

...only for the level to be entirely made of jumping on blocks over gaps...

...Let's skip this...

EDIT: Oh, a stacked enemy level...yeah...

McNum

Just gonna answer a bit of feedback for Boo's Inverted Haunt (DBF8-0000-0042-2E51).

The inverted level is probably the best user created stage I've played in Mario Maker as of yet. Great Work! Ashley level was also pretty neat too.

This is an amazing idea and even better execution. One of the best stages in SMM I've played so far. Seems like so much work to get a good level design that works here.

I just played the Haunt House, what an awesome level! It had everything: nice pacing, varying platforming, making you think where to go next...Also, few different elements used, but combined in many ways ramping up complexity as the level advanced. It really felt like it had been taken out of SMW, big congrats to you, what an inspiring work :)

Legit one of the best freaking maps in this thread and the game itself.

Yeah, I'm going to go along with that. Wow.

Felt like a real ghost house SMW level despite the restrictions the game has in making them.

Sölf;179038951 said:
Time well spent. The best level I've played so far. Not really hard, but the gameplay, holy shit.

Thank you everyone. I's awesome to see the level so well received. And yes, it is exactly as much work as it seems. Sadly, you cannot copy from main to sub stage, and even if you could, you can't rotate a multi-selection. The only way to do this is to break out some squared paper and draw out the level, block by block, and the draw it again upside-down in-game.

One free tip for anyone who's mad enough to try the same concept: Flip the Gamepad and draw upside down. You can draw as if you were drawing a normal level like that.

But it was worth it, I'm impressed you pulled it off, I'm sure I'd go mad trying to lay out the logistics of it if I dared to tackle such an idea myself.

McNum, you're insane. The work that went in to making sure rotated ares still play well. Damn.

I feel like these two quotes answer each other. It was a crazy idea, but it just wanted out, if that makes sense.

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71 Hansey
3681-0000-002F-ECEB I Wanna Be The Guy
2B43-0000-0038-3F06 octopiggy
E9AE-0000-0039-9511 SuperJay
2397-0000-003F-B983 ElectricBlanketFire
17D1-0000-0040-D11A Kebiinu
72AE-0000-0043-2481 OmegaDL50
2FED-0000-0043-077A DoubleYou
78B4-0000-003F-EC06 Pinky
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf
4C09-0000-001E-B5F1 Theorymon
483C-0000-003E-38A7 Oidisco
9DEF-0000-0033-41C8 JRBechard
4E90-0000-003F-918E KittenMaster
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51 McNum
36A3-0000-0038-EC1B Jocchan

I'll be playing for about 90 to 120 minutes. We'll see if I can get through all of these.
Thank you for streaming, and including my level. It was great to see that yes, most of the subtle details I did to lead the player do work, except for one where you hesitated. Sorry about that, I couldn't find a better way that a line of coins into a blind drop there, hoping that you've been conditioned to trust my coin placement by then. It worked, but it could have worked better. Maybe next level I'll avoid a blind drop like that.

Oh, and for those who didn't find the three hidden 1-Ups, here's a hint:
Look in the same ? Blocks you get Fire Flowers from, but inverted
. Knowing where they are is one thing, getting there is another. Good luck.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The problem is, if you go in and play 100 Mario mode or even just use the course finder, that's the impression you come away with in general. Nintendo really have to patch in some way of finding courses people want to play who want a Mario experience or at least another platformer experience and want to go away from the autoplay and the enemy spam.

Agreed. They really need to curate these levels better - even the top featured ones are auto-play machine levels. I played so many that were just complete garbage, and broke if you didn't do some random task it needed to function. Didn't help that half were plastered with 'notes' from players like 'drop down here' 'jump on the turtle' which just felt like so many people had never touched the series before.

Enough negativity - the levels on here have been great and are inspiring my own with ideas.

I have about three or four levels uploaded but wanted to share this one I made:

"Pitfall Who?"
BCC3-0000-003F-AE1B
WVW69iZNHK8UIPCfgA

Randomly thought of swinging on vines in Pitfall!, and the level started in that theme but then became something else entirely. I hadn't unlocked the track set yet at the time so that might have made for a different kind of level. (Autoscrolling at slow speed fyi)

Trying though not to make future levels so gauntlet-esque. One of the things I do enjoy about 2D Mario has been its pacing and balance that line of challenge and leisure.

KooopaKid

Banned
I really need feedback on that level. Are the puzzles too difficult?

fhbatW8.jpg

Thanks! I will play comment on any GAFers levels that gives feedback too :)

MouldyK

Enough negativity - the levels on here have been great and are inspiring my own with ideas.

Here's a good idea:

- Stacked Enemy Level.

- Clutter it some more so the player is small after getting a mushroom...

- Get them to go through a Safe Path for Small Marios, but make it so 2 Mushrooms spawn and make them big and trapped in a hole...

...how the fuck does this level have a Star and mine don't?

Model 500

Keeping up with this thread is proving next to impossible, but I want to recommend someone elses level I bumped into at the "featured" section.

Course ID: 2501-0000-001D-21A0

It's nothing fancy regarding visuals, but the gameplay design is great, and I would like to see levels like this a lot more. Very nice attention to risk and reward, enemy placement, interesting gameplay & flow, good safety features and hints, etc. Very enjoyable to play through.

If you enjoyed the gameplay approach in this level why not try one of mine as well, they're a bit more hardcore, but still fair, etc. Just do a search with my name and the posts will come up, I don't want to spam my own levels too much.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I have two good courses made. follow and friend me. Ill follow back.

nnid: bombdrop

hit me with some feedback. 3/46 attempts on one. 1/18 on another.

cyba89

Maybe I'll do a level that is an autoscroller and has an invisible block with a P-switch right at the start. Of course the switch is required to reach the flag at the end.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71 Hansey
3681-0000-002F-ECEB I Wanna Be The Guy
2B43-0000-0038-3F06 octopiggy
E9AE-0000-0039-9511 SuperJay
2397-0000-003F-B983 ElectricBlanketFire
17D1-0000-0040-D11A Kebiinu
72AE-0000-0043-2481 OmegaDL50
2FED-0000-0043-077A DoubleYou
78B4-0000-003F-EC06 Pinky
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C Solf
4C09-0000-001E-B5F1 Theorymon
483C-0000-003E-38A7 Oidisco
9DEF-0000-0033-41C8 JRBechard
4E90-0000-003F-918E KittenMaster
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51 McNum
36A3-0000-0038-EC1B Jocchan

I'll be playing for about 90 to 120 minutes. We'll see if I can get through all of these.

Thanks for submitting and watching. The stream archive is posted here, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnQrTzvA6Wc

I'll try doing this again later tonight if I have time.

I expected Lost Levels like pain from you and you didn't disappoint.

For the most part the difficulty is fair here, I got as far as the interior where I got hammer bro'd trying to rush up the shifting vine.
So the only two points I'd state regarding the difficulty otherwise is...
- A small one here but when you bop down across the paratroopas in the second area the screens shifting actually hides the cloud platforms you're supposed to land on from view, so a guiding coin trail coming off the last koopa wouldn't go amiss.
- The rail platform under the ship, here you're kind of at the mercy of how many flying spinies got fired at you (depending on the bill blasters location as you step on the moving rail platform, I've had to deal with just one or sometimes 3, but oddly the hardest bit for me here was managing to get on the winged donut block because of the spinies.
I think having at least one other donut block to give more room to maneuver round the spikes if they're still present as well as making it that bit easier to get in the pipe to the airship.

Not that you're actually asking for feedback, I would say it's tough but fair from what I played.

First point is a good one. I remember that crossing my mind at some point while designing but just forgot about it after the Nth test play.

Second point: I actually had 2 adjacent donut blocks here originally, but that actually made it more of a hassle because you couldn't guarantee that they'd spawn adjacently. It made it look like a mess. I might redo that part later. If not changing the donut block, then maybe making the jump to the pipe shorter or less obstructed.

Really good level. It's challenging but never unfair... well apart from one little bit.

If you miss the pipe to enter the airship you do land safely on some clouds for a second chance. However, having a second go on the blue platform will prove a lot harder the second time as now the canon has had a chance to shoot multiple spinies since you have to wait for the blue platform to return whereas the first time across you only need to contend with one.

You can use the previous pipe to exit and reset the room. Not an elegant solution, I'll admit.

Sadly, I'll be at work for a few more hours, so I'll miss the live streams. Do you plan on permanently uploading the playthroughs once you're finished?

Youtube should processes the archive automatically. The link is up top.

FYI: If you come into a stream while it's already in progress, Youtube should allow you to rewind up to 4 hours so that you can catch anything you missed. You can also view the recorded content at double speed so that you'll eventually catch up to where it's live.

Yay my level isn't the most frustrating on the stream!

I actually really like difficult but simple stages based around a single concept. The only overall thing I'd change about yours is maybe making a makeshift "checkpoint" system: replace the lava with an actual floor that leads backward to a door that in turn puts you back at the start of the current room. That way there's no "lava death -> restart whole stage" factor to deal with. Maybe put in more mushrooms so that it doesn't take just one hit on a buzzsaw to end the whole run, either.

You did a great job being so composed during my level (The Black Lodge).

Thanks again!

Qualty Stage Design™

If you're looking for rage and reaction mugshots, you'll need to bother some other Youtuber. :p

CarelessAcrobaticDoctorfish.gif

D4: The Dave Identity 1DE0-0000-0043-6437

The fourth installment of the acclaimed series Spiky Dave has officially gone live on Mario Maker. This new map is packed with classic Spiky Dave gameplay along with some new twists. Can you at last discover Dave's secret? Follow the clues. Things aren't always what they seem...

The Spiky Dave series, known for its challenging but fair, risk and reward gameplay, originally launched in September 2015 and has since garnered cumulatively over 20 stars and numerous awards. Play it today.

Challenge: Find Dave, and kill him. Both are possible to do, and will require skill and resourcefulness. The only hint I'll give is that you'll know when you've found him.

The way you describe these is hilarious, btw.

This was a PM but I'll answer it here because it's a good question:

Sölf said:
Hello there! Is there a way to watch your stream later? Does Youtube archive them somehow? Because I couldn't watch it, thanks to blocking it in Germany.

Sorry about that. :( You should at least be able to watch the archives, unless Youtube is just blocked outright in Germany.

Nessus

I love how the game really shows you how important it is to teach the player every single new idea as you go.

My course requires the player to use a shell to break a brick wall to progress to a new section. Initially I just put that at the end of each part expecting people would figure it out.

But then I added that to the very start of the level, just a shell and a brick wall, and saw that a bunch of people died right there. And if they can't get past that they'll never manage the rest of my level.

Tidalwave

It's finally here. The epic finale: Mario vs Bowser

Will Mario finally slay the villainous King Koopa, or will his journey come to an abrupt end?

Will he lose everything or fight to take back the princess?

The choice is yours.

The battle is now.

Mario vs Bowser
1Hp6n8T.jpg

ID: 86F4-0000-0041-0C02

Ollie Pooch

Here's a good idea:

- Stacked Enemy Level.

- Clutter it some more so the player is small after getting a mushroom...

- Get them to go through a Safe Path for Small Marios, but make it so 2 Mushrooms spawn and make them big and trapped in a hole...

...how the fuck does this level have a Star and mine don't?
Give it time, I'm sure those kinds of levels and creations will start sinking and the better ones will rise to the top. Hopefully. I certainly imagined there'd be more traditional levels but that's why this thread is so great.

MouldyK

Reviewed the 9th Level of 16 I gotta do in Normal 100-Mario: "Nice Level! You didn't create a cluster of uselessness like everyone else so far. 100%"

Give it time, I'm sure those kinds of levels and creations will start sinking and the better ones will rise to the top. Hopefully. I certainly imagined there'd be more traditional levels but that's why this thread is so great.

100-Mario will never let you forget them though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I actually really like difficult but simple stages based around a single concept. The only overall thing I'd change about yours is maybe making a makeshift "checkpoint" system: replace the lava with an actual floor that leads backward to a door that in turn puts you back at the start of the current room. That way there's no "lava death -> restart whole stage" factor to deal with. Maybe put in more mushrooms so that it doesn't take just one hit on a buzzsaw to end the whole run, either.
Yeah that's a conclusion I've already come to after other feedback I've got. I plan on doing another stage with this concept but doing exactly that and allow players to restart each segment instead of dying and having to do the whole thing again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I learnt an important lesson in level testing. LinkMan found an error in my stage that could cause you to get stuck. It was an easy fix, but having to re-upload a level is rather annoying, especially if you've already started to get stars for it. Well new code is: F6C7-0000-0043-DA6C. Hopefully now that level is done with.

Started work on my contest entry. Think I've got a level I'm happy with. Since it's a 1-1 one has to remember not to go overboard with it but I have to hope I didn't go too simple.

Sölf

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Alright, here is my submission for the GAF Contest #1:

WVW69iZNa4gPj7I5tw

1-1 Pleasant Fields
5805-0000-0043-E62F

It's in SMB 3 style, because I like that one and I had the most ideas for an entry level in that style. I tried SMW first, but after finishing most if it, I took a look at it and thought "That's quite bad" and deleted all of it. xD
The level is also doable as a speedrun, which was a nice side effect.

Finn

Probably my favorite outta the set i just played, really feels like SMW a stage in that bonus world or something just easier, really not much to criticize with this stage looking forward to more of your work Finn
give me an Ice Kingdom stage

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Ollie Pooch

Reviewed the 9th Level of 16 I gotta do in Normal 100-Mario: "Nice Level! You didn't create a cluster of uselessness like everyone else so far. 100%"

100-Mario will never let you forget them though.
I gave up after 3 levels on 100-Mario for that reason :p

toa95

Finally made my first Castle, this was made using stuff pre Mario World Set unlock so I tried to stick to just a few key mechanics, it features 2 different paths that lead you to Bowser, looking for any feedback, I tried not to make it too hard.

Bowser's New Castle: CDEF-0000-0043-E9A8

Sölf

Sorry about that. :( You should at least be able to watch the archives, unless Youtube is just blocked outright in Germany.

Archives work. Just wasn't sure if Youtube actually archives Streams or not. It worked partway through, but I had to use a browser addon and that more or less just killed my internet most of the time. The stream was either lagging every 30-60 seconds or it just died completely. D:

Anyways, thanks for playing and thanks for the link. <3

Thud

Name: Thuddert
Title: Cave Trolls
Description: Fun little level with a nice sense of designers humor aka trolls.
ID: 8274-0000-0043-CBB2
WVW69iZNQ54YxW1-jj

I'll go down the list again tomorrow, almost up to date. You can also PM me your level and I'll give you feedback :)

I have another classic style level. Not too difficult, not too hard. I'm hoping it gets me a few more stars. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

7FBF-0000-0043-D49A

MouldyK

I gave up after 3 levels on 100-Mario for that reason :p

I think 100-Mario Challenge is a ploy to sell more Amiibo...

...becauseas soon as I finished my first ever 16 courses on Normal...

...I rushed to my Amiibo Cabinet to scan in the 40 I had so I don't have to suffer as much pain. :p

PSqueak

Banned
Anybody seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSm1Rn7Prcs

I bring it up not for the comedy (it is hilarious tho) but because this level has a check point and im here to share the idea for those interested.

Basically, the check point is an easily accessible door after the first section (which funnily enough means this parody allows you to skip cutscenes), when you enter it it takes you back to a point above the begining that you cannot see when you start the level, by dropping and knowing there is something above you it is possible to locate a few invisible blocks to reach the door and bypass the first section entirely.

So the gist is, in the beginning of each section you can hide a door beyond view whose invisible block path only becomes obvious after going thru the door after the section, creating a way to be able to bypass sections that you can only find after beating each section, like a ghetto check point.

Im planning on implementing this idea on a Boss rush level.

Top Bottom