• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Finn

Now complete with fancy picture.

Also, tonight I'm probably gonna stream for a couple hours. I'd like to try out GAF stages tonight as I configure my stream setup to make it not lag. Quote this with 1 of your stages or PM me one and I'll add it to the list.

Would appreciate if you could try mine out:

Title: B Sharp or B Flat
101E 0000 0044 520F

Grinchy

Banned
Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon...

This is really insane. I didn't beat it (I died trying to make a long jump that I probably shouldn't have tried) but it's a pretty amazing level.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tried out the three of these, pretty fun overall! Most of my deaths (most) I felt were due to my own stupidity, so sorry about bringing down the clear average on Toaster Coaster in particular. ;P

The one thing that mainly stuck out to me, and this is true of both Toaster Coaster and the Ghouly Shrooms was a minor issue with the skull platforms being placed right in amidst the lava. It gets really hard to tell when it's about to give way when you can barely see them shake and descend.

Fun concept, although I think I may have cheated and solved it in the non-puzzle fashion. :p

Haha, I can guess what you did. I redid it, there are still a couple of ways to beat it, but none stand out as the super easier way. My best time is about 10 seconds remaining.

CB8D-0000-0044-AE98

Olly88

I've just finished my second level.

Ot3bUcB.jpg

There are probably tons of Metroid-like ones by now, but I thought it would be a fun thing to try. I'm pretty happy with it!

zroid

Banned
ugh, I'm trying to design a course where you have to jump between two saws on a track, but the saws keep spawning asynchronously and it's ruining the timing. it's really annoying.

PSqueak

Banned
ugh, I'm trying to design a course where you have to jump between two saws on a track, but the saws keep spawning asynchronously and it's ruining the timing. it's really annoying.

The problem is the game spawns things as you get closer to them, if you approach slowly you'll trigger one to appear but not the other one until you advance further, ruins the timing of many things like canons and bullet blasters too.

Dad

twitch.tv/mugenmidget

Streaming right now! Your level is in the queue. :)

I don't know if you're still taking level requests, but here's one of mine:

Long Gone Mine
666D-0000-0036-F091

All of my hazards are in the sub area, so I can't see the death markers to really gauge how people are dying down there. I would really appreciate the chance to see how some fares down there!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
twitch.tv/mugenmidget

You're probably swamped with requests, but if you have time, this my stage that seems to have the best reception overall.

80AD-0000-0034-354C

WVW69iYqEs0zGXlpnM

Of course, I'd like everyone here to play it as well. :)

I think I'll be taking a good week or 2 long break from this game. I've already put in 40 hours over the past week lol.

I'll occasionally check to see who has played my levels, but aside from that no more mario maker hahaha. I'll re post my levels one more time. I would really like to hear more criticism for my 2 most recent levels. :p

4th Level (NEW)
Magikoopa Armageddon
C5B4-0000-0040-E6CE

3rd Level
Kickin' Koopas
(supposed to be much easier than all my other levels, but I guess I failed somewhere, any ideas?)
D3F0-0000-0035-5897

2nd Level
Flying Buzzy Beetle Castle
60FF-0000-0026-3C2F

1st Level
Spring Jump Sewer
3C21-0000-001C-DC7C

I played 3 and 4. 3 was my favourite. One of the best Mario Maker stages I have played thus far. Simple but the design was really coherent. As for why people were failing. If you want the stage to be easy avoid putting 1 block wide jumps withs Koopas :p

I really enjoyed 4 but the concept is better suited to checkpoints. Dying makes you go back so far. The secrets you hid were clever. The first room was really visually cluttered. Made it hard to see. The room where you have to throw the bob omb up is also visually cluttered. I dunno of there is any way around that.

Starred both. They are the types of levels O wish 100 man Mario had more of.

CloakBass

I don't know if you're still taking level requests, but here's one of mine:

Long Gone Mine
666D-0000-0036-F091

All of my hazards are in the sub area, so I can't see the death markers to really gauge how people are dying down there. I would really appreciate the chance to see how some fares down there!
We sure are! We'll add you to the queue.

zroid

Banned
The problem is the game spawns things as you get closer to them, if you approach slowly you'll trigger one to appear but not the other one until you advance further, ruins the timing of many things like canons and bullet blasters too.

yeah I figured. I fixed it in one key spot by using doors, but I can't do that every time.

TheBear

how do you guys get the best out of Mario Maker?
The community levels are all shit. Some of the levels here are pretty good, but the whole inputting codes is a bit cumbersome. I don't know how this system could be better but having my iPhone open while I input codes to experience a level for a minute is a bit shit.

I really need feedback on that level. Are the puzzles too difficult?

fhbatW8.jpg

Thanks! I will play comment on any GAFers levels that gives feedback too :)

I tried the level you linked here and it was super fun. Just tricky enough to be fun, but not obnoxious. I followed you, starred, and commented on your other levels too. Lots of fun. Highly recommended.

Here's one of my stages if you want to take a look:

Pesca 2-1
9D0E-0000-002D-ED62

The community levels are all shit. Some of the levels here are pretty good, but the whole inputting codes is a bit cumbersome. I don't know how this system could be better but having my iPhone open while I input codes to experience a level for a minute is a bit shit.

Playing through the 100 mario stuff. What I like I like, what is bad I skip. Get to see a bit of everything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Input some codes from people here and on my Twitter feed. Follow the ones I enjoyed in game. Often search and play level they've starred, as they tend to have good taste. Then I follow those people as well.

But yes, it is moronic that we can't automatically follow people on our NNID friends list.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping the name of the stage would convey that you must spin jump on every Koopa you see. Maybe I'll have a different start to the stage or something.

I'll try your level right now :)

Edit: Great level. I love how there's a secret right off the bat. Not too difficult either. I'd say it's just right. LOL at all of the troll boxes though.

I went pretty crazy with the troll boxes. Ghost houses are the only time I dont feel bad about hiding bullshit in boxes haha

I had a lot of fun with this. It was challenging but not unfair. It feels like a good mid-late game level. I like the multiple paths. I think I found 3 1-UPs in the level. Well Done..

Thanks for the feedback. After my first level I really focused on trying to introduce mechanics logically keep the difficult under control. I was going for mid late game difficulty so that is good. Tried to keep it all 1 screen tall and hide 1 ups logically.

So I didn't have much time to explore the tools (I only have the 2 first days unlocked ahah!) so most of my stages are pretty short and sweet.

Here's my last one:

Pipes Dream
BD25-0000-0044-BF8F

PSqueak

Banned
Input some codes from people here and on my Twitter feed. Follow the ones I enjoyed in game. Often search and play level they've starred, as they tend to have good taste. Then I follow those people as well.

But yes, it is moronic that we can't automatically follow people on our NNID friends list.

I think they're banking on people using Miiverse harder, since you're supposed to have your friends in your feed and you'd get notifications of their levels as soon as the post them.

But so far im conducting myself like you described.

Painguy

I played 3 and 4. 3 was my favourite. One of the best Mario Maker stages I have played thus far. Simple but the design was really coherent. As for why people were failing. If you want the stage to be easy avoid putting 1 block wide jumps withs Koopas :p

I really enjoyed 4 but the concept is better suited to checkpoints. Dying makes you go back so far. The secrets you hid were clever. The first room was really visually cluttered. Made it hard to see. The room where you have to throw the bob omb up is also visually cluttered. I dunno of there is any way around that.

Starred both. They are the types of levels O wish 100 man Mario had more of.

Yeah that makes sense. That was a bit mean of me to do that 1 block wide jump. I probably shouldn't have put a koopa per platform either now that I think about.

And I do agree with you on my 4th stage as well. I think I will take that one down and try to fix it (after my break lol). I need to think of a less complicated way to do a Bowser battle.
Would you say the clutter for the 4th level was attributed more due to the background or level layout?

Really appreciate the advice, and thanks for playing :)

ThatMattZ

The Great Pipe in the Sky

9041-0000-0044-AF3D

This course is pretty straight forward and can be easy if you just plow through it. However if you take your time you just might find that great big pipe in the sky!

Core Zero

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Mushroom Kingdom Stroll
Code: F391-0000-003B-2DD9
Style: NSMB

CPEy-qBUEAAWj9e.jpg

A relatively peaceful stroll through the hills of the beautiful Mushroom Kingdom countryside. Of course, there is some danger, and some friends to help along the way. Perhaps a bit too hard for a 1-1 style course, but I think it still fits the idea of an introductory level well.

Yeah that makes sense. That was a bit mean of me to do that 1 block wide jump. I probably shouldn't have put a koopa per platform either now that I think about.

And I do agree with you on my 4th stage as well. I think I will take that one down and try to fix it (after my break lol). I need to think of a less complicated way to do a Bowser battle.
Would you say the clutter for the 4th level was attributed more due to the background or level layout?

Really appreciate the advice, and thanks for playing :)

The koopa on the 1 block width wasn't hard if you play a lot of mario. I needed 2 tries for your level. Its just that for a beginner/semi beginner stage its a little too much. I personally didnt think it was bad but I saw a lot of Xs at that location.

I actually liked the bowser fight tbh. Its just that in the beginning its tough to recognize what is going on. On my second attempt I got the idea. The issue is just that I got hit by some magikoopa bullshit but that is not something you can prepare for. They are very random lol.

I think the clutter is more background oriented. But for the type of boss battle you were doing I think SMW is the way to go. I dunno how you make it cleaner though.

Pikma

Banned
Wanted to make a really special level I've been thinking of but I noticed I'm still missing those damn conveyor belts. :(

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ya know I was getting pretty good traction on my first few levels in terms of play count, stars, etc. But my last two are a wasteland. I was feeling pretty down about it until I realized: those were made Monday and Tuesday. Do you think it's just a matter of overall game traffic? More players on the weekend? Anyone else see similar dropoffs?

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

D81E-0000-0044-070C UncleSporky
5321-0000-002E-3989 Zero148
B279-0000-0034-1EB8 Lady Siara
8274-0000-0043-CBB2 Thud
7A11-0000-0036-294D Solf
48DE-0000-003B-21C5 Belgian Dude
BDAB-0000-0033-2697 Theorymon
92AB-0000-0032-4720 jholmes
434D-0000-0042-5E2F OmegaDL50
C76C 0000 003B 787A PSqueak
98A3-0000-0038-2E02 Gsnap
FA34-0000-0031-3EBE PMS341
F5F2-0000-0040-42D2 QuixoticNeutral
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB Coffeehofi

Thanks for streaming (and especially for the star!). I've been working on yours, and it flows quite well like the vertical stages in NSMB, although I'm still figuring out the final pipe; I've been getting there consistently since the first attempt but managing the timing and height of the donut block seems a smidgen tight, especially as I keep bumping my head on those deceptive airship tiles surrounding the pipe entrance. Still chipping away at it, though.

twitch.tv/mugenmidget

I'd love to see another player take on mine, if you're still taking requests. As bolded above: F5F2-0000-0040-42D2.

xandaca

Added you both to the queue. Appreciate the levels everyone :)

If it's still possible, it would be amazing if you could play either of these two levels. I have to go to bed (it's almost 5am in the UK!) but I'll check out the archived stream tomorrow.

Bowser's Airborne Artillery
Theme: Super Mario World, Airship
Difficulty: Medium-Hard
Code: EB50-0000-003F-002F

Bowser's Undersea Artillery
Theme: New Super Mario Bros U, Underwater
Difficulty: Medium

Airborne is quite long, so maybe play it once and see how far you get. Undersea is easier and quicker, but your mileage may vary on underwater levels. Undersea is a sequel to Airborne, so they're both on essentially the same map. Thanks!

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

D81E-0000-0044-070C UncleSporky
5321-0000-002E-3989 Zero148
B279-0000-0034-1EB8 Lady Siara
8274-0000-0043-CBB2 Thud
7A11-0000-0036-294D Solf
48DE-0000-003B-21C5 Belgian Dude
BDAB-0000-0033-2697 Theorymon
92AB-0000-0032-4720 jholmes
434D-0000-0042-5E2F OmegaDL50
C76C 0000 003B 787A PSqueak
98A3-0000-0038-2E02 Gsnap
FA34-0000-0031-3EBE PMS341
F5F2-0000-0040-42D2 QuixoticNeutral
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB Coffeehofi

Thanks for the stream, good stuff! Will catch the bits I missed later. =)
I wasn't able to recreate all the paths though, heh. Biggest missing one is the Adventure Line.

CloakBass

I'd love to see another player take on mine, if you're still taking requests. As bolded above: F5F2-0000-0040-42D2.

If it's still possible, it would be amazing if you could play either of these two levels. I have to go to bed (it's almost 5am in the UK!) but I'll check out the archived stream tomorrow.

Bowser's Airborne Artillery
Theme: Super Mario World, Airship
Difficulty: Medium-Hard

Bowser's Undersea Artillery
Theme: New Super Mario Bros U, Underwater
Difficulty: Medium

Airborne is quite long, so maybe play it once and see how far you get. Undersea is easier and quicker, but your mileage may vary on underwater levels. Undersea is a sequel to Airborne, so they're both on essentially the same map. Thanks!

Added to the queue! Thank you both :)

I spend a few hours making a level then play some 100 man mario and gaf levels. Inputting codes sucks but I'll live. If this game had communities the gaf community would be incredibly well visited. Best levels I played were all gafers.

Pretty much 100 man mario expert is pure bullshit though.

I bought this game on launch day, but I didn't have my Wii U available til today. So far I'm kinda bummed with how so many of the top rated courses are just the flashy "don't press anything" type stages. I've really just been longing to see people make unique, but still classic Super Mario stages. Oh well, maybe it'll get there in time.

I've been digging into it as much as I could today. My first stage that I uploaded to get my feet wet, was I just made a backwards version of 1-1 from Super Mario Bros, lol.

I just finished and uploaded my first original stage. I used the SMB3 theme, and I think it's tough but fair like a classic Mario stage could be.

If anyone is willing to try it out, I'd greatly appreciate it, and would love feedback. here's the ID for it:

BB92-0000-0044-C9E2

It's called Return to Giant World

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Added to the queue! Thank you both :)

If you've got space for this one in the queue, I'd love to see you guys play it! Thanks. :)

My first real go at creating a level (after a few throw away attempts while getting used to the tools available):

WVW69iZO4iMvgXslOv

Goobma Gaol 266D-0000-0044-90F6

I'm not a terribly great SMB player, so I wanted to make a level that felt like the right difficulty to me. Some challenge the first time around, a bit of verticality, a few secrets, but a level that you can cruise through once you've mastered it. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Feedback is much appreciated!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thanks to everyone who watched. I might try my hand at designing another stage for a while before I do it again, although I'll definitely be back.

Is it just me or does this game really chew through the gamepad battery?

The battery just isn't that great to begin with, and time tends to fly in this game.

gamepad_battery.png

I've made a couple of levels in the vein of old school Super Mario VS. style. The levels are completely beatable while offering a nice challenge and maybe a couple of surprises. Here are the level codes:

Remix VS. One
8626-0000-0025-83C9

Remix VS. Two
DD1B-0000-0040-6ACE

If you can try these levels and leave me any thoughts or constructive criticism. These are my first couple of levels that I've designed and I look to make more with a classic style of challenge. If you like these levels, please feel free to give them a star.

Thanks.

Top Bottom