• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Munter

I'm making a level where you traverse the landscape a bit then go through a large castle complete with ghost filled dungeon, hidden treasure (yoshi egg), etc. I'm about a 1/3'rd completed. Anyone want to help me test it? Is that even possible?

You could upload an unfinished version of it, and get people's feedback before editing/extending it.

rawk

I'm making a level where you traverse the landscape a bit then go through a large castle complete with ghost filled dungeon, hidden treasure (yoshi egg), etc. I'm about a 1/3'rd completed. Anyone want to help me test it? Is that even possible?

If i have a chance I (or someone else) could help you test it. Just upload it, have people play it, and then delete it. Rinse and repeat.

I've made a few levels just like that if you want to see how I approached them:

9B89-0000-003F-247B
6CE8-0000-0046-29D9
5293-0000-003A-7E9E

All three of those involve entering castles/buildings/caves and exploring them. It's a lot of fun to design levels like that, but requires a whole bunch of testing.

AGoodODST

You plough your way through a few 100 Mario Challenge stages.

One, an automated level. Another features obvious jumps with invisible blocks blocking you.

Frustrated you carry on, with hope that this time, this time it will be a good level. You hold your breath as the stage loads into view. It's a NSMBU stage. Several stacks of giant Bowsers and Bowser Jrs block a flag pole that is right in front of you. There are countless giant Koopa Troopers and Goombas with wings filling every available space. There is a single ? Block containing a Star on the otherwise completely flat stage.

Upon completion you see the stage has one million stars. You load up your own carefully planned and designed stage and stare at it's one star and .07% completion rate.

Slowly, with a dead look in your eyes, you begin to drag every possible enemy onto the level and make them giant. You place an amiibo constume in every avaiable block. You rename your course "dank mario meme run". You hit upload.

Two seconds later, your stage has over two thousand stars.

This is Mario Maker.

Question regarding unlockable costumes:

Is the limit of costumes set to 20 on easy 100 mario challenge, 40 on medium and 40 on expert? Cause if so...it's gonna be a while. Took me a good hour plus to beat expert, but at least with the skip option you can find some pretty awesome levels

Sölf

WVW69iZWZGgIlpZ-3I

1-2 Mushroom Gulch
2880-0000-0047-48AE

Build this one just now. Since I already have a 1-1 for the GAF contest I thought I could just continue and build several levels and worlds with increasing difficulty over time. Well, here is level 2, enjoy. :3

Grym

One, an automated level. Another features obvious jumps with invisible blocks blocking you.

Frustrated you carry on, with hope that this time, this time it will be a good level. You hold your breath as the stage loads into view. It's a NSMBU stage. Several stacks of giant Bowsers and Bowser Jrs block a flag pole that is right in front of you. There are countless giant Koopa Troopers and Goombas with wings filling every available space. There is a single ? Block containing a Star on the otherwise completely flat stage.

Upon completion you see the stage has one million stars. You load up your own carefully planned and designed stage and stare at it's one star and .07% completion rate.

Slowly, with a dead look in your eyes, you begin to drag every possible enemy onto the level and make them giant. You place an amiibo constume in every avaiable block. You rename your course "dank mario meme run". You hit upload.

This is Mario Maker.

I haven't gotten to the "dead-look-in-my-eyes" stage yet...but I sense it coming... ;)

Xhorder

Super Groundhog Day!
WVW69iZWZRUe8HYMYZ

041E-0000-0047-4280

Mario seems to be stuck in the same room, whatever he tries to do, he just can't seem to escape. Can you help him out of there in time?

I would really love some feedback on this one. I loved making it! :)

This is Mario Maker.

Keep fighting the good fight. May good quality levels prevail!

So I decided I'd try to write something that would pick levels from this thread to suggest to me. I'm not done, but in the process of writing this, I got some fun data for you all. At the last time I ran my script, I had:

• 8349 posts
  • 2964 posts with codes
  • 4506 codes mentioned (non-unique)
  • 2194 unique codes mentioned

AniHawk

This is Mario Maker.

i am just happy that even 20 people have liked any stage i've made. actually, i'm just happy to be designing platformer levels. like, actually doing it. this itself is a small dream come true.

ExVicis

SO I made this relatively simple level I think with piranahas and what I think are some cool jumps. Tried to do an increasing complexity and difficulty thing but I think it's still pretty simple as it goes further on.

I don't know how to get a picture of it off the WiiU but the ID is 6E28-0000-0047-4529 if anyone is willing to give it a look. Comments or criticisms are encouraged, it's only the first level I've ever tried to make.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

AGoodODST

i am just happy that even 20 people have liked any stage i've made. actually, i'm just happy to be designing platformer levels. like, actually doing it. this itself is a small dream come true.

In all seriousness though, I think that is the games best strength. It's just really fun to make levels. Mario fans have been crying out for something like this for years.

The game was always going to be swamped by rubbish stages like any UGC game, but so far this thread at least has had tones of great stuff.

Heck, even 100 Mario Challenge can surprise you (sometimes :p).

octopiggy

So I figured out why I've had a bumper haul of stars over the last 24 hours - Someone posted the video of my WarioWare course to reddit and it went down pretty well.

Well enough for me to get my next medal!
WVW69iZVqOIRS0gy5O

I'm having so much fun with this game. It feels like it was made with me in mind. I'm just finishing up a course that I'm really happy with. Watch this space!

Raven77

Thanks everyone, I'll upload my level later for testing and feedback.

This is kind of a dumb question. How do you keep enemies from just walking endlessly until they fall off a cliff or get stuck? Can't they walk a path back and forth?

daydream

Banned
i wanna post an update to the showcase later but i've just been too busy to keep up with levels

if you played a fellow gaffer's level in the last couple of days that you feel strongly about, send me a pm and i will give it a go!

Teppic

Same for me. Making the levels and see it all come together is what I like most about this game. Of course I'm happy when someone stars one of my levels, even if it's just a few people. Makes creating the levels even more rewarding.

aza

Galoomba Throw Cavern

CODE: 7FB3-0000-0047-48A3

qgmYwMN.jpg

Pick up a Galoomba and use it as cannon fodder to shoot your way through this level! Find the three secret 1-UPs for an extra challenge.

Difficulty: Easy-Medium

GpxsqU5.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome!

BooJoh

Same for me. Making the levels and see it all come together is what I like most about this game. Of course I'm happy when someone stars one of my levels, even if it's just a few people. Makes creating the levels even more rewarding.

I think the biggest reason I care about getting stars is because it directly affects how many levels I can have online at once. Luckily I surpassed the 50 stars required to get 10 more level slots before even putting up 10 levels.

But it does feel really good to know I've brought people some enjoyment through the levels that I had fun making in the first place.

Nohar

I swear, 9/10 Castle stages, without fail end like this;

Mine doesn't ♪ I went for a Hammer Bros, 2 Koopas and one Goomba, and a few platforms. And no one is stacked on someone else ♪ (well, I had in mind to make a mini-castle, and since we don't have the SMB3 mini-bosses and bosses, I went for that).

How the hell do I use a mystery mushroom when I'm building a course? I have 4 or 5 costumes unlocked and I can't figure out how to use them

Drag Mystery Mushroom from the toolbar, then tap it. You get a list of all things unlocked. Tap one you want and drag it on the mushroom to make it always that set skin.

kunonabi

My first course that ended up needing to be tweaked like crazy. There's an easy path, a bonus path, and a difficult path. I don't really like that kind of setup but I just sort of ended up doing it.

OK, so I finished off my "You only live once!" stage and tweaked it so that the boss battle is 100% always winnable. I'm quite proud of this level though it's not typical Mario fare. In any case, I still don't think anyone has tried and commented on the full version. Will play anyones stages who give this a go and comment. I've also posted a revamped version of my "Whomps Stronghold" level to remove the falling goomba cheap kill. Next I think I may try a simple level or an autoscroller, which I'm guessing will be hard to get right.

You only live once!
7A2A-0000-0047-66C5

dkw1LiY.jpg

Whomps Stronghold (Redux)
B430-0000-0047-5D65

IyaIYlE.jpg

McNum

Made a level with an unique twist. My girlfriend tried it and she didn't get the idea of map at all. I would love to get some comments, do I need to communicate it better? The whole twist of the map went flying straight over her head.

Upside Downside - 1274-000-0046-0CB8

I'm going to add more to this stage if it gets a good reception for sure. I really like the idea in it.
I feel like I should comment on this one, since I did something similar in Boo's Inverted Haunt (DBF8-0000-0042-2E51).

I obviously got the idea right away, but that's because I've been thinking upside down (actually 180 degrees flipped) for a few days, so I'm biased here. The opening with the enemies in boxes is serviceable, but consider using coins. Lots of coins. Place coins on the ceiling above the first pipe, so when you flip it, Mario lands on the coins. Coins where Mario needs to be, both in normal and upside down versions, so the player will know when to flip. I feel like there should be more instances of using both sides of a platform, too. Also, be careful with instant kill pipes. If you want this, you need to have the player trust in your gimmick. Being apprehensive about using a pipe will break the flow of the level.

I do like that Goomba you get to drop off the world, I wanted to do one of those for my level, but I didn't want to use SMW Dry Bones, so I had to leave it out.

You could also consider limiting the stage height to the lower screen, as noted by the thick line in the editor. If nothing, and that's not even a single block, is above that line, the stage becomes locked vertically and will not scroll. That would make it easier to make the change noticeable.

But feel free to look at my take on the flipping level idea and see if there are any ideas there that might inspire you for your own.

Schlomo

I made some changes to one of my stages as I noticed some problems.

Big & Small V2: D131-0000-0046-D00D.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cool puzzles, but I got stuck after getting the giant shoe. I know I have to get a regular size shoe to advance, but couldn't find any working pipe to get back.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Piranha Peaks - 50EB-0000-0045-9EAA

Busted bridge! Take to the rooftops, Mario! Integrates note-blocks (oh-so inconsistent!) and vines. Three hidden 1-UPs. Optional power-up in an odd haunted house.

I haven't had a chance to play this yet (at work), but I just wanted to say I love what you've done with the aesthetics in the thumbnail! Creative use of the tileset.

BooJoh

Name: 1-1 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3
ID code: 315C-0000-003E-363A

I don't expect to win the contest with this, but I know that if I don't post one level now, I probably never will.

/end submission

My others levels so far (all "Classic/Traditional").
I won't post again those levels in the future.

Name: 1-2 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
Notes: One hidden 1UP
ID code: EC10-0000-003E-FEC1

Name: 1-3 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Aquatic)
ID code: BD2B-0000-0041-DAEC

Name: 1-5 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Scrolling - Slow)
ID code: 29F6-0000-0042-F5AB

And now, time to try this Ghost House everyone is gushing about~

List of new stages posted elsewhere on GAF:
Name: 1-4 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Castle)
Notes: Two hidden 1UP
ID code: 758E-0000-0045-95B9
Original post

Name: 1-6 Janus' House Diff: ★★★☆☆
World: Super Mario Land (Ghost House)
ID code: 113E-0000-0046-D305
Original post

I played your 1-1 last night and I just played through the rest. I really like your levels, the Mario 3 themed ones in particular feel very genuine and make me feel like I'm playing through Mario 3 for the first time again.

Junahu

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1
WVW69iZVY_wHjhQ8Xi

Koopa Plateau 1 [46EB-0000-0046-D07B]

Nothing especially spectacular. The gimmicks are mushroom platforms, koopas and note blocks. Very low skill floor to complete the stage (There's one instance of needing to bounce off of a note block to reach a higher plateau). No running required, no jumping needed until the bonus room, only one pit you can reasonably fall into.

Getting the difficulty low enough to be playable but still being engaging is the hardest part of making levels. There's also the problem of the more skilled players taking blind jumps off of platforms. You have to make sure the level can adapt to being played hard and fast.

Okay well I wanted to see how much of the Kaizo layout stuff would work in Mario Makers physics surprisingly there can be stuff replicated from it somewhat. In some cases it makes it easier.

My first one where I was testing stuff out.

My newer one where I've added hidden shortcuts to make it easier for people. When I beat the level I didn't use the shortcuts but then again I was playing and testing it for a long while. Took a lot of set ups from the other Kaizo stuff to make this since I wasn't sure what kind of set ups I could do for this one. Now I learned new things.

Next level I make won't be ridiculous at all though. I'm gonna try something new. Spent like total of 9 hours testing these stages out. Crazy.

zeioIIDX

So I searched the thread but did not find an answer and I'm kinda stumped. Exactly how does one leave a course comment at a specific point in a level? Every time I've tried leaving a comment, it's just a general Miiverse comment and I see no option to place a little marker in the level for my comment to show up at.

Schlomo

You only live once!
7A2A-0000-0047-66C5

Extremely confusing level. The first part seems pointless because you can just skip it with the clown car. After that I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to do in the doors. Eventually I reached Bowser, blocked off by a giant bullet bill cannon. Tried all different things here but couldn't advance.

I liked your other level though!

Sölf

Name: 1-1 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
ID code: 315C-0000-003E-363A

I don't expect to win the contest with this, but I know that if I don't post one level now, I probably never will.

/end submission

My others levels so far (all "Classic/Traditional").
I won't post again those levels in the future.

Name: 1-2 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
ID code: EC10-0000-003E-FEC1

Name: 1-3 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Aquatic)
ID code: BD2B-0000-0041-DAEC

Name: 1-5 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Scrolling - Slow)
ID code: 29F6-0000-0042-F5AB

And now, time to try this Ghost House everyone is gushing about~

List of new stages posted elsewhere on GAF:
Name: 1-4 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Castle)
ID code: 758E-0000-0045-95B9
Original post

Name: 1-6 Janus' House Diff: ★★★☆☆
World: Super Mario Land (Ghost House)
ID code: 113E-0000-0046-D305
Original post

I also have to quote this. I played all of your levels, including the new one. I really like them, it's awesome. I hope you create many more, I favorited you so I can find you easier. :3

Jobbs

Banned
PinkRemoteAsianpiedstarling.gif

ID5: Independence Dave DF8D-0000-0047-8487

The harrowing fifth installment of this season's sensation, Spiky Dave, is now live on Mario Maker. In a dramatic turn of events, Mario and Dave set aside their petty differences and join forces to defeat the alien menace, restore peace, and unite the world under one banner.

In Dave 5, we don't fight to end tyranny or oppression or persecution, but to avoid annihilation. We fight for our right to survive, to exist. So, this Fall, declare you won't go quietly into the night. Let this be your Independence Dave.

Extremely confusing level. The first part seems pointless because you can just skip it with the clown car. After that I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to do in the doors. Eventually I reached Bowser, blocked off by a giant bullet bill cannon. Tried all different things here but couldn't advance.

I liked your other level though!

Thanks for playing. It's amazing how, because you're building a level and have a premise in mind, you assume everyone else will get what you were doing. Obviously not!

The clown car bit is supposed to be Agent Mario flying to Evil Bowsers Volcano base. It's a deliberate flying part. The rest is exploring the base. For the Bowser encounter
Depending on where you are determines where he fires at you. So you need to be up on the platforms so he disintegrates the blocks that hold the P switch. The P switch will then fall. Bowser will then, at some point, jump on the switch. This will cause the barrier to slowly lower. You can then either use a fire flower or take a bomb up to where the star is being held to finish off bowser and see the ending.
. Thanks for playing anyway - I guess this is a case where I need to remember the old adage "Keep it simple, Stupid" :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
A great filter would be game type so I don't have to suffer any NSMBU levels.
NSMB is by far the best style.

Also I'm utterly shocked at the completion rate for my Yoshi stage. I thought I made it a super simple introduction to the concept but only one out of the four people that played it beat it. I shudder to think what the clear rate of a more complex stage would be.

Top Bottom