• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Acerac

Banned
This is a good idea, just that playing the level is pretty bland IMO. Just walking to the right, climbing across vines, and then walking to the right with a dry bones or two in the way. Maybe have the "animals" escape the zoo in the second half of the course by bob-ombs blowing up the walls as you go by?

The amount of sub 10% win complete rate levels I've had is disheartening. That said, I wholeheartedly agree. I'll see about adding a bit of spice without slaughtering the average Mario.

Blues1990

I've got a surprise from a friend today. She surprised me with a copy of Super Mario Maker, and I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I'm having fun with creating my own levels. I've been reviewing the Lost World levels to get some inspiration, even going as far to recreate them in SMM.

Right now, this is a test stage called "Getting Started," and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback: 8B3E-0000-0049-27B7

KeRaSh

I played a level called Mario is a terrible individual. yesterday. You have to watch a big group of enemies fall into lava one-by-one lol.

I made a similarly themed level:

WVW69iYeKzoSmiU5ct

Scumbag Mario raids Bowser
2CEB-0000-002D-2393

Tried to come up with a level for the 1-1 competition but only had half an hour so I didn't get that far. Boy it is really hard to find something that eases the player into the mechanics and is still fun. I might go back to the drawing board on this one. Hopefully I have more time after work to work out a prototype.

PKrockin

I've got a surprise from a friend today. She surprised me with a copy of Super Mario Maker, and I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I'm having fun with creating my own levels. I've been reviewing the Lost World levels to get some inspiration, even going as far to recreate them in SMM.

Right now, this is a test stage called "Getting Started," and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback: 8B3E-0000-0049-27B7
Only thing I would say is the first jump is pretty precise to be the first jump of the level. It's probably going to give players the wrong impression about your level. If you want to unlock the actual mushroom platforms right away rather than waiting days for them check the OP for instructions. It takes less than 10 minutes per set.

ExVicis

Alright so I made a new course level, this time using my favorite the Airship level set. I think I made a really good, tight, challenging but doable level just now. I really like it but I know it could be tweaked and tuned if someone is willing ro look at it and tell me what they think.

Of course you're also just welcome to play it and enjoy it without saying anything. Here's the ID: F387-0000-0048-F89E

I originally had called it "Through Fire and Cannon" but I'll probably re-upload it as a different name like "Gunship Gauntlet"

jholmes

Just getting started here.  I've made a few levels.  Mostly I try to avoid gimmicks and make levels that I feel wouldn't be out of place in a standard Mario game.  Here's my first airship level, which is not autoscrolling.  My goal was to have multiple paths throughout the level, but to have those paths interconnect, so you could traverse it any number of ways.  Not terribly difficult, but so far only one person has beat it.

Spruce Moose

(35B3-0000-0044-F724)

Some of the block placement early is a little restrictive and the back half is too easy to skip through. Too short but pretty solid otherwise.

Oh nice! Unfortunately I don't see it on mine, so I imagine there's an element of randomness to the featured list. I wonder what actually qualifies you to be there?

I assumed it was Nintendo actually going in and approving them internally, but now I'm not so sure.

B_Bech

WVW69iZbaf0jZpNeKB

The Mysterious Castle Dracula

(BAFC-0000-0049-1C32)

WVW69iZbK7Y-owA2GF

So, you guys are all well aware of the popularity of Metroid stages... Well, I took inspiration from these mini "mariovanias..." and made just that. This level is my best yet (of my puzzler series) and it took about 6-8 hours to craft and fine tune. This is my second venture into this sub genre for Mario Maker. I made an office themed Metroidvania level before --"Another Day at the Office" (0479-0000-0034-C6F9). This turned out to be one of my most popular levels. There was a problem though... the level focused solely on puzzles and without any prompt. While it provided fun and challenge for many players, even more were stumped-- put off by its sometimes obtuse nature.

I've rectified these problems with my new level. In "The Mysterious Castle Dracula", you can complete it in MANY different ways. The level is not at all linear, and how you solve the puzzle is entirely up to you because I've included multiple paths... solutions... even red herrings. Not only that, but I added a bit of flavor text to help the player via miiverse posts. It really turned out splendidly, and I even included a pretty unique mini boss encounter and a sweet boss fight at the end. I put a ton of effort into this stage so I would really appreciate it if you guys could all play this level and give me some feedback. Star it if you like it, because that really helps it get played by more people! I'll gladly return the favor if you PM me some of your stages you need testing/feedback.

Thanks so much for the help in advance, and I hope you have a blast. I have been running it myself to try to come up with challenges.

PS. There's 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms, a red kuribo shoe and dancing wiggler for you guys to find.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just made my first level.

Nothing difficult but it holds a few secrets for those willing to look and possibly take a few risks :p

http://i3.minus.com/ibcqAM5ePNNytt.jpg

Don't host images on minus. We can't see them.

The amount of sub 10% win complete rate levels I've had is disheartening. That said, I wholeheartedly agree. I'll see about adding a bit of spice without slaughtering the average Mario.

Don't worry too much about the percentage. That's "number of victories out of total number of attempts." I think a better metric would be "number of victories out of total number of unique players," which you can deduce yourself from the other information given.

Eteric Rice

I feel like there's some things I'm missing in this game. Like people have tiles that I don't seem to have.

There is a bar on the tool list that is empty. Not sure if anything goes there.

Alright finally finished 2 more courses, would love any feedback so I can keep on improving!

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1
Multiple paths to the exit, 3 hidden 1-ups and watch out for other hidden boxes for other goodies!

FZBIUCil.jpg

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0
This one I attempted to go for a more classic Mario feel. It has a hidden exit and 3 hidden 1-ups.

CLI4jafl.jpg

Stoze

Man I take a break from playing for a few days and I'll feel like I've lost all my creative drive ><. Maybe I'll go back and play some NSMBU or watch some videos tommorow to spark my interest again.

Gsnap

Well, what are you going for with this level? I'm just asking because I'd like to know a little about what you want the player to get out of the level in order to give clear feedback. But I assume you haven't unlocked all the tools yet, and making levels with less tools is definitely difficult.

But in general I'd say that it needs work. Polish. Your first jump is pretty bad. Not just for a first jump, but for any jump. Not only are springs some of the most difficult things to actually use for most players (even advanced players), but adding them to a jump where you have to be 100% perfect and nothing else is kinda not that interesting or fun.

I didn't enjoy the part near the end with the red koopas either. It would have been too easy to accidentally kill them both and then get stuck with nowhere to go. Unless I could go backwards and respawn them. The idea is sound, using enemies to make jumps. It's just that, those types of situations usually are optional and lead to secrets or faster routes, or if they're mandatory they're a part of a larger theme and failure generally ends in death, rather than just getting stuck and having to restart on your own.

But don't worry. It's not that it's bad. You're not making straight garbage like a lot of the levels we've seen in the 100-mario challenge. You just need more tools and more polish.

Nohar

I played your 1-1 last night and I just played through the rest. I really like your levels, the Mario 3 themed ones in particular feel very genuine and make me feel like I'm playing through Mario 3 for the first time again.

I'm glad you liked them :D I've really been trying to make them feel like genuine SMB3 levels, so I'm quite happy to read that!

Sölf;179173153 said:
I also have to quote this. I played all of your levels, including the new one. I really like them, it's awesome. I hope you create many more, I favorited you so I can find you easier. :3

Thank you too :D I will definitly make more, so stay tuned ;) I will notice everyone in this topic in any case.

~~~~~~

Wow this topic goes fast. It's hard to keep track of everything.
I'll take the day off creating and test your levels I think.

Svafnir

Well apparently soft launch went well enough that we had to add pagination. Really nice to see levels being added!

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/

I am currently looking for specific feedback any more categories we might need or user features people would want. We want a good way to promote the best content. The obvious is maybe a weekly list of the 10-15 best new levels. Also a star rating system on the levels in the database themselves.

xandaca

Well apparently soft launch went well enough that we had to add pagination. Really nice to see levels being added!

I am currently looking for specific feedback any more categories we might need or user features people would want. We want a good way to promote the best content. The obvious is maybe a weekly list of the 10-15 best new levels. Also a star rating system on the levels in the database themselves.

If I submit levels there, can I edit the details afterwards? Quite often I go back and iron out mistakes or shortcomings in my levels, meaning a whole new code is generated.

Sixfortyfive

One thing I want to point out that I haven't seen anyone talk about is that it's probably a bad idea to rely on using the stage title to provide hints on how to beat the stage. You can't expect every player to know English.

Putosaure

That hidden pipe near the beggining is so hard to reach haha, but I nailed the jump (on my second try of course). Running through small gaps is always so cool. I wonder how much people that are unaware of that suffer in those type of sections. I like the hidden paths you added for people that managed to find the first hidden pipe. Fun level!

Hey, thanks for playing ! I was afraid nobody will ever find the first hidden path. Otherwise, the level is too quick and simple to finish.

Svafnir

If I submit levels there, can I edit the details afterwards? Quite often I go back and iron out mistakes or shortcomings in my levels, meaning a whole new code is generated.

For now there is not. But if the website is something people like we will definitely add in user accounts and the ability to edit, add a YouTube video, add a spoiler section if you want to explain how to get through your level.

This is just a soft launch to see if people like the idea and would use it.

xandaca

For now there is not. But if the website is something people like we will definitely add in user accounts and the ability to edit, add a YouTube video, add a spoiler section if you want to explain how to get through your level.

This is just a soft launch to see if people like the idea and would use it.

I would certainly use it, but for the reasons stated, would need edit options to be a thing first.

illadelph

CarelessAcrobaticDoctorfish.gif

D4: The Dave Identity 1DE0-0000-0043-6437

The fourth installment of the acclaimed series Spiky Dave has officially gone live on Mario Maker. This new map is packed with classic Spiky Dave gameplay along with some new twists. Can you at last discover Dave's secret? Follow the clues. Things aren't always what they seem...

The Spiky Dave series, known for its challenging but fair, risk and reward gameplay, originally launched in September 2015 and has since garnered cumulatively over 20 stars and numerous awards. Play it today.

Challenge: Find Dave, and kill him. Both are possible to do, and will require skill and resourcefulness. The only hint I'll give is that you'll know when you've found him.
This was amazing and hilarious. I found Dave but didn't kill him hahaha...gonna have to check out the rest of the series.

KeRaSh

WVW69iZbaf0jZpNeKB

The Mysterious Castle Dracula

(BAFC-0000-0049-1C32)

WVW69iZbK7Y-owA2GF

Will give this a try tonight!

Awesome! Very easy to quickly add levels! Added my four levels within a few minutes. Very well done!

Here's my profile: http://www.mariomakerhub.com/creators/KeRaSh

I also brainstormed a little with Tiled to come up with something for the 1-1 competition and I think I have my layout finalized. I'll build it in SMM tonight and do a little testing. I'll let my wife play it to see if the progression is as natural as I think it is.

R00bot

Masochistic (Don't Get Hit!)

(4A13-0000-0049-24AD)

WVW69iZbWzUFd8Wrpi

As the name suggests, getting hit makes the level impossible to beat. Don't get hit.

Svafnir

I would certainly use it, but for the reasons stated, would need edit options to be a thing first.

It's in the works. We see enough interest to continue the project. I will try and keep you guys updated and get feed back as we go.

You all awesome.

ohNOitsRO

39 stars... Really wanna get 50. Shameless repost of my levels! I'll play yours if you send some my way.

Castle Siege
ID: CA34-0000-003A-B3C8
Yeah it's a little long and not exactly for Mario n00bs, but it's fair the whole way through!

The Path Less Taken
ID: 28CB-0000-003B-0BBC
Ghost Mansion in SMW! Some paths are treacherous meant to put a damper on your mood, while other paths are meant to reward and excite!

Race Against The Machine
ID: 5D18-0000-003B-1DE5
Get the shroom before its all over!

Waluigi's Cloud Spectacle
ID: 6C9A-0000-003B-C305
Not for the faint of heart, but for the Waluigi lovers

Mario-Type
ID: 47E7-0000-003E-A10A
R-Type in Mario!

Gripvine Central
ID: F91D-0000-0043-888D
Remodified vine scroller! Maybe this time around it won't stop people from putting stars because it was a tad hard :) Defibitely scaled down the difficulty

Mushroom Rise
ID: 8071-0000-0043-F087
Simple vertical level! Could easily be placed in a World 1 if not maybe 1-1 itself

B_Bech

It's in the works. We see enough interest to continue the project. I will try and keep you guys updated and get feed back as we go.

You all awesome.

I love it so far. I can see it becoming the standard for sharing. Are you going to have a 1-click copying macro for forums?

39 stars... Really wanna get 50. Shameless repost of my levels! I'll play yours if you send some my way.

Castle Siege
Yeah it's a little long and not exactly for Mario n00bs, but it's fair the whole way through!

The Path Less Taken
Ghost Mansion in SMW! Some paths are treacherous meant to put a damper on your mood, while other paths are meant to reward and excite!

Race Against The Machine

Mario-Type
R-Type in Mario!

Gripvine Central
Remodified vine scroller! Maybe this time around it won't stop people from putting stars because it was a tad hard :) Defibitely scaled down the difficulty

Mushroom Rise
Simple vertical level! Could easily be placed in a World 1 if not maybe 1-1 itself

I'm tipsy and tired so I can't guarantee playing more than Castle Siege (right now, that is), but it sounds very intriguing and I am about to wreck that sheit.

I have one star and could use a second, try out my first and only level I've made (it's the rough draft of my 1-1 submission) - 7473-0000-0049-5983

B_Bech

Castle Siege

The Path Less Taken

Race Against The Machine

Mario-Type
R-Type in Mario!

Gripvine Central

Mushroom Rise

I'll play em' and star em' all as soon as I wake up tomorrow.
Here's mine if you want a few to play: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/B_Bech/posts

jholmes

OK middle-of-the-night GAF, here's my latest: Caramel Cliffs!

WVW69iZb3P0Y5Frhuy

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

I've seen enough people on 100-Mario Challenge trying and failing to do a vertical level and I thought, I could do better! Tried to make this a bit harder than my other levels -- I picked up a Super Mario World Special levels vibe and kinda ran with it, difficulty included. I hope you all enjoy!

kiryogi

Banned
Went and revamped :and deleted my first upload: my first level. Expanded, not as cheap/jerkish with a little more room for mistakes compared to the former, but still brutal with different paths to take and mystery rooms to play around with. After all, it's a ghost house! Remember! Don't trust the arrows.

"Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !"
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

Would love any feedback on balancing or criticisms.

Blues1990

Well, what are you going for with this level? I'm just asking because I'd like to know a little about what you want the player to get out of the level in order to give clear feedback. But I assume you haven't unlocked all the tools yet, and making levels with less tools is definitely difficult.
Well, unlike for the dozens of players that have been (poorly) making Kaizo Mario-style levels, I just want to focus on building & designing levels that have a "good practice" level design, as well as focus on the four-step level design theory that was introduced in the Super Mario 3D Land/World games. In the case for the practice level that I was designing, I was trying to introduce (poorly, in retrospect) that there are platforms that you need to jump from. Maybe I should add some cushioning for the first series of platforms, so that if the player does fall down, they can learn from that mistake?

But in general I'd say that it needs work. Polish. Your first jump is pretty bad. Not just for a first jump, but for any jump. Not only are springs some of the most difficult things to actually use for most players (even advanced players), but adding them to a jump where you have to be 100% perfect and nothing else is kinda not that interesting or fun.

I didn't enjoy the part near the end with the red koopas either. It would have been too easy to accidentally kill them both and then get stuck with nowhere to go. Unless I could go backwards and respawn them. The idea is sound, using enemies to make jumps. It's just that, those types of situations usually are optional and lead to secrets or faster routes, or if they're mandatory they're a part of a larger theme and failure generally ends in death, rather than just getting stuck and having to restart on your own.

Okay, I'll remove the springs. But what would you suggest I do, with regards to replacing the koopa's?

But don't worry. It's not that it's bad. You're not making straight garbage like a lot of the levels we've seen in the 100-mario challenge. You just need more tools and more polish.
Yeah, about that. For some reason, I'm trying to do what the guy on the first page had done with unlocking the tools. But it's just....stop for me. Like, I'm trying different combinations of items on enemies and using the land block trick, but I have only unlocked half of the tools and I can't get anything else.

Sixfortyfive

I have a sickness where I'm compelled to fill in the entire course map with some kind of content. I'm incapable of settling on a short level, and it means that I take forever to finish designing anything.

What kind of contraptions have you guys seen or made that prevented players from skipping boss battles on courses?

In one of my courses, I blockaded the axe goal on one side and added some hard blocks on top of it that not only require well timed bob-omb throws to brrak, but a koopa clown car to reach. This while you had to fight a Bowser Jr. right by the goal. You could hypothetically ignore him and go for the blocks but its pretty tough.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
GAF! Play my level - Pipeflip Airship. Code is B73D-0000-0047-2D3F

LRdgJfg.gif

My goal was to invent an interesting mechanic that would be unique to my stage - as that's what Mario games are all about, right? Then it was a case of finding interesting and evolving challenges that derive from that central idea.

Would love to get your feedback!

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Oatmeal Plains

5E82-0000-001E-F62F

I hope it's not too hard, it was the first level I designed in the game, I felt like it was pretty easy, but it has like a 14% pass rate.

Teknoman

LRdgJfg.gif

My goal was to invent an interesting mechanic that would be unique to my stage - as that's what Mario games are all about, right? Then it was a case of finding interesting and evolving challenges that derive from that central idea.

I'll add to follow list and give a shot later.

Also why is there no Capitan Todd level yet?

Stoze

LRdgJfg.gif

Quoting so I can give it a shot tomorrow. Looks really awesome, love all the things you guys have been doing with pipes and sub-levels.

Kebiinu

Banned
Should be sleeping, but I was up working on a stage and well...you know how it goes!

Mushroom Heights
GJywodF.jpg
mYSzPNh.jpg

High above Mushroom Kindom, you'll find mushrooms taller than the clouds themselves. It's no coincidence that you encounter just that in this stage. With both high and lower altitudes, no matter how you're progressing, I hope you're prepared for an involuntary skydive!...that is, unless you're fortunate enough to don the Tanooki suit!

Stage ID: E7D5-0000-0049-5DCC

Hope you guys enjoy it, I put quite a lot of work in it!

I figured I should do an official "launch" of this level!

zQ1vDqO.png

Mario and Yoshi have been through a lot together. But can we really call them friends?

This level features several hard-to-find shortcuts that are ACTUALLY shortcuts. One of them, though tricky to get to, lets you pass like half the level. Don't worry though, when I submitted this level, I got through it the "long" way. It's very doable for Mario vets.

The arrows in this level are your guide. Follow them on the road to success, or ignore them at your peril.

Please try it, and if you give me feedback, please leave a code for one of your levels so I can do the same for you. THANK YOU GAF!

AGoodODST

LRdgJfg.gif

This was really clever. I liked the P Switch use. Well done!

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
So, has anyone run into a "inappropriate" level yet ( i.e. penis level)? I've played the 100 Mario Challenge a number of times and haven't come across anything inappropriate. Is Nintendo just really good a moderating?

Hylian7

Made a new course.

Name: Castle of Patterns
Style: SMB1
ID: F0EC-0000-0049-6CE1

I want to know a few things as far as feedback.

1. How much does the course map give away the solution to the first half of it?
2. How did you figure out the solution?
3. Any other comments you might have.

Kangi

So, has anyone run into a "inappropriate" level yet ( i.e. penis level)? I've played the 100 Mario Challenge a number of times and haven't come across anything inappropriate. Is Nintendo just really good a moderating?

These are the people who made an advanced penis-detection system for Miiverse. It wouldn't surprise me if they have something even more thorough for this game.

The only inappropriate things I've seen in any levels came by way of Miiverse comments.

Top Bottom