• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

I've been toying with Mario Maker a lot and now I think I'm ready to start sharing levels.

This is a really short one with a simple idea.

Not So Fast, Kamek!

(97D0-0000-0049-C8A0)

This one is longer and uses springs throughout.

Let's Bounce

(EC7B-0000-0036-57C3)

My first attempt at an airship level.

Baby Bowser's First Airship

(D20E-0000-0043-1863)

All feedback welcome! It's really interesting trying to balance the difficulty throughout to give an enjoyable level, and how one element added/removed can dramatically upset that balance.

alcabcucu

Be Brave and get 50 coins Trilogy High difficulty

Evil Bowser has hidden 50 coins in each level and you have to find them to save the princess! Explore the levels, be skillful, and think to properly use the items and solve the riddles. On the final stage there's an optional -and epic- battle against King Bowser. Will you be able to defeat him?
Each level has been designed so that you can explore and find the 50 coins, or do a speedrun without requiring any item. They aren't as hard as they seem, but you have to think a little to make them easier. Do not despair and accept the challenge!!!

Just in case you need help, here are the videos showing how to get the 50 coins or do the speedrun!!

ID: DF89-0000-002D-0183 - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins
How to get the 50 coins (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsFAatUns0
Speedrun without items (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knTfvXegfe0

ID: 5084-0000-0037-64ED - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins (2)
How to get the 50 coins (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GWAeg4BGTI
Speedrun without items (2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8zs7NyQfw

ID: C115-0000-0047-479B - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins (3)
How to get the 50 coins (3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJWwYDzTiw
Speedrun without items (3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG4VZ70HsAY

Please leave a screenshot in Miiverse if you get all the coins, or post your best times if you do the speedrun!!!

KingBroly

Banned
Super Groundhog Day!
WVW69iZWZRUe8HYMYZ

041E-0000-0047-4280

Mario seems to be stuck in the same room, whatever he tries to do, he just can't seem to escape. Can you help him out of there in time?

A pretty easy room (still, some people managed to die.... ), but I really liked the idea and tried to work it into a level.

I think what you should have done here is enter a pipe to start the room progression since the camera gives away that you're at the wrong end of the level. This would definitely play up the confusion that you're going for. I didn't quite understand it at first, but I managed to beat it my first try.

Xhorder

I think what you should have done here is enter a pipe to start the room progression since the camera gives away that you're at the wrong end of the level. This would definitely play up the confusion that you're going for. I didn't quite understand it at first, but I managed to beat it my first try.

Hmm... good one. That would definitely be an improvement yeah. I kind of maxed out warping between areas, so I think I might have to remove a room then.

correojon

This is my latest level, an expansion on circular platforms. I used few elements, but combined them in different ways to create new situations. There are some challenging jumps, but nothing too crazy and everything is introduced one step at a time. The level is slowly paced with rewarding moments between the different challenges. There are 3 secondary areas with cool rewards that can help you bypass the most difficult spots and in some points there is more than one way to take, so even though the level is mostly built around around platforming, there is some exploration in it too.
No instant deaths, crazy bosses or random chaos in this level :)
Circular Platforms2 said:

Please let me know your opinion!

KooopaKid

Banned
This is my latest level, an expansion on circular platforms. I used few elements, but combined them in different ways to create new situations. There are some challenging jumps, but nothing too crazy and everything is introduced one step at a time. The level is slowly paced with rewarding moments between the different challenges. There are 3 secondary areas with cool rewards that can help you bypass the most difficult spots and in some points there is more than one way to take, so even though the level is mostly built around around platforming, there is some exploration in it too.

Will try!

This too : (BAFC-0000-0049-1C32)

nikos

Think I'm going to pick this up today. Was waiting for Best Buy reward certificates to be available.

Will it still come in the NES style box, or was that a preorder thing? I must have it.

KingBroly

Banned
So after beating Easy 13 times, Normal 18 times and scanning in every amiibo thus far, the game is telling me I need to play Expert to unlock the final 15-16 costumes that I need.
I'm not sure if I can unlock Builder Mario in 100-Mario Challenge or not

Lame

R00bot

MineShaft

Explore this sprawling mine with multiple secrets to find. Can you find your way out? (probably it's not really that kind of level lol)
Will you escape?

WVW69iZePRsV5-6K50

C041-0000-0049-EE00

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
g64g9h2.jpg

My first level upload! My partner just said the name and I designed it around that- I'm really happy with it. Feedback welcome :)

Bulletproof - AF17-0000-0049-F6B4

R00bot

So after beating Easy 13 times, Normal 18 times and scanning in every amiibo thus far, the game is telling me I need to play Expert to unlock the final 15-16 costumes that I need.

Lame

I think he's only unlocked by
completing the fly minigame.

octopiggy

Lame

Oh shit. I was worried that might be the case.

koam

Evil Bowser has hidden 50 coins in each level and you have to find them to save the princess! Explore the levels, be skillful, and think to properly use the items and solve the riddles. On the final stage there's an optional -and epic- battle against King Bowser. Will you be able to defeat him?
Each level has been designed so that you can explore and find the 50 coins, or do a speedrun without requiring any item. They aren't as hard as they seem, but you have to think a little to make them easier. Do not despair and accept the challenge!!!

Just in case you need help, here are the videos showing how to get the 50 coins or do the speedrun!!

ID: DF89-0000-002D-0183 - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins
How to get the 50 coins (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsFAatUns0
Speedrun without items (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knTfvXegfe0

ID: 5084-0000-0037-64ED - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins (2)
How to get the 50 coins (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GWAeg4BGTI
Speedrun without items (2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8zs7NyQfw

ID: C115-0000-0047-479B - Name: Be brave and get 50 coins (3)
How to get the 50 coins (3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJWwYDzTiw
Speedrun without items (3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG4VZ70HsAY

Please leave a screenshot in Miiverse if you get all the coins, or post your best times if you do the speedrun!!!

I just watched these, very nice levels. Need to go to work now but I'm commenting here so I don't forget to try them out later.

Here are a few of mine that you might enjoy in similar style:

100 Coin Challenge (A3DE-0000-0042-5BB7). None of the coins are hidden.
WVW69iZKMvg6kXnIoX

Underground grounding (3A95-0000-0044-6DF8). I don't find this one tough but it's only got a 1.34% completion rate.
WVW69iZOkok5HEg8VE

A more classic level (26EE-0000-0048-D5E7) As the name implies, this is a more traditional Mario level.
WVW69iZaY4sMdimidy

Gone fishing (3E75-0000-0048-79DD) The continuous struggle to make an underwater level that doesn't suck. Spoiler: Not sure if I succerded, let me know.
WVW69iZZGEgl1z8Omn

Bydobob

Nice, uncluttered level with a cool concept, but left me wanting more! I liked the secret areas but it's too easy to rush through the level and miss them. They are discovered more by accident after for missing a jump, and I'm not sure players should be rewarded this way.

Will try!

This too : (BAFC-0000-0049-1C32)

Gave this a good go but sorry, got stuck at the vines, bones and flowers bit. Maybe I'm thick but couldn't see a solution. Seems a lot of work went into this one though so might revisit it.

Nohar

I only tried stage 1.

Your stage relies too much on the players actually knowing where they are going, since a lot of platforms are not (or barely visible) on screen, and you need to do perfect jumps to reach the platforms (and, worse, there is a koopa waiting to OHKO on the third platform if you didn't time your jump perfectly; on my numerous tries, I only managed to not get killed by it one time).

I initially thought that you didn't upload the same stage as the one shown in your video until I discovered I could make longer jumps by pressing L or R (never really played New Super Mario Bros games, so I wasn't aware of that gameplay mecanic unique to those games).
Needless to say, I find the beginning of your level a little unfair.

Why put a "?" block at the beginning if you just ignore it in both of your videos (especially since the player who just began to play will assume there is a coin inside necessary for the 50 total)? Turns out, there is a bumper inside, but getting to get it out of the "?" block is rather tricky. So, the player is stuck between losing all the koopas to go further, or having to get the bumper, which can be difficult.

Obviously you wanted to make those levels difficult, but the beginning of that first one is tedious.

(People are going to think I'm a bad player and/or that I dislike everything I play at this rate...).

Nintenleo

A lot of work in this stage, especially for balancing its difficulty.

A nice little adventure inspired by some of the best castle stages in Super Mario World.

Hope you'll enjoy, play my levels and I play yours!

WVW69iZeU3sQm1syu3

Love Letter to Castles: 3841-0000-0049-F512

Nohar

Title: SMB3 1-1 Redux
Code: D3FF-0000-004A-2BBD

A 1-1 Level made if SMB3 got a sequel.
Fun little level that I made this morning.

Nice level. A little short though. Also, I believe you are way too generous with coins. But for a 1-1 level, it is nice :)

Game desperately needs a Luigi option for every style. The shorter stages lend themselves nicely to NSLU design.

I agree, it would be a nice addition (instead of relying on the ? shroom for that).

Nice level. A little short though. Also, I believe you are way too generous with coins. But for a 1-1 level, it is nice :)
Yeah, I was going for a SMB3 level made in a SMW decade. I made the bonus area like the first Switch Palace, ha ha.
The length is about the same as original SMB3 1-1, so did not want to go that far off. It is easy to forget SMB1 and 3 had short levels compared to SMW and NSMB. (Mostly cut out that P-Switch section because even in the original game ... it felt pointless)

El Daniel

Want something short and tough? Check out my new level. There are some nasty invisible blocks but there's a pattern to it, no mickey mouse stuff. Follow the coins!

sQNOl55.jpg

Bydobob

A more classic level (26EE-0000-0048-D5E7) As the name implies, this is a more traditional Mario level.
WVW69iZaY4sMdimidy

Good level, gave it a star. Some well positioned enemies, challenging enough for decent players yet friendly enough that my wife even enjoyed it. The drop for the coins at the end though is bad placement. Not only is the jump too hard, but it makes it impossible to get to the top of the flag for that perfect run.

Made my 3rd level:

Come back Yoshi!
D39D-0000-0048-BDC7

Thought I'd give players an easier time after beating them up with my last level, but still make them feel like they've been on an adventure.

Raven77

So does anyone know how to set enemy paths? It seems like 99% of the enemies I drop just walk endlessly to the left until they get trapped between something or fall off a cliff. I could swear I've played some levels where enemies patrolled a certain area but I may just be going crazy.

Xhorder

So does anyone know how to set enemy paths? It seems like 99% of the enemies I drop just walk endlessly to the left until they get trapped between something or fall off a cliff. I could swear I've played some levels where enemies patrolled a certain area but I may just be going crazy.

You can't really set paths, but some enemies, like the red shell turtles, don't fall off cliffs. So they just turn around and continue their path the opposite way.

Most enemies are programmed to fall. Red koopas are programmed to not fall.
Hammer Bros also barely move. Think the manual shows what path they are programmed to do.

Hasney

Most enemies are programmed to fall. Red koopas are programmed to not fall.
Hammer Bros also barely move. Think the manual shows what path they are programmed to do.

Drybones and wigglers keep their platform too. Red koopas and drybones with wings also take a vertical path compared to green koopas bouncing.

boekLvn.jpg

Wiggler on the Rails - 8FA4-0000-004A-5D2B

Quite happy with this one. A two-route stage with an easy route at the bottom and a more difficult route at the top. But still shouldn't pose a real challenge to Mario veterans, I tried to make it do-able for relatively new players. If you're confident in using moving enemies as platforms there's plenty of 1-UPs to find.

It seems that there's no option to update the level. I made few mistakes with my first and second level so I think I just need to delete it.

Semajer

I haven't really been following user-made levels for SMM, but does anyone know if there's been an attempt to recreate the Super Mario Bros. Special levels in SMM?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just uploaded a new course. Since my cape level has by far the most stars of all my levels I figured I'd make a level around the raccoon suit this time. Plus I hadn't made a SMB3 level yet. Let me know what you think.

Raccoon Fun - DD54-0000-004A-70DE

MrBadger

Has anybody created a level where you have to avoid cape feathers to stay small? I'm totally making one just so I can call it Cape Fear

Sephzilla

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Simple Beginnings - (C73D-0000-0048-ECD1)

WVW69iZalTo2p2MJyZ

Warning: Incoming small essay

As I made this level I actually went back and watched Egoraptor's Mega Man X video just to get myself in the proper mindset for how I wanted to approach designing this. Firstly, I built my 1-1 around the idea that the person playing this has played little to no Mario 3 in his or her life. So over the course of the level I try to put the player in situations where they will learn the basic tools needed for Super Mario Bros 3 and rewarding them for learning. Then the final screen or so of the level is a final test to make sure they have the basics down.

The first thing presented to the player is the standard lone Goomba, a generally nonthreatening enemy which puts the player in the position of learning how to avoid/destroy the enemy (jumping). Since jumping is the first and most simple thing a player should learn for playing Mario, immediately following the Goomba I present them with a question block and two semi-solid platforms with coins on them, followed up by a small gap they need to jump over. This shows the player the benefits of jumping in these games; to learn that question blocks hold items, to show them what a power up is, to climb terrain, and to avoid pitfalls.

Following this the player confronts a Koopa Troopa, the objective here is to show the player that jumping onto a Koopa allows you to pick up and kick their shell around to destroy blocks. There are two Koopas and two things that the Koopas can be kicked into; the first is a standard brick block which is destroyed when the Koopa shell hits it (showing the player that these can be destroyed), and the second thing is a question block holding a 1-up. Since we've already established that question blocks hold good things, the player should be drawn to the question block and want to see what's in it.

The next portion of the course first presents the player with a standard green pipe. If the player attempts to go down the pipe they'll be sent to a sub room with a large amount of coins in it (again, rewarding for learning). The exit pipe returns them to the same part of the main world. From here the player is then presented with a question block that gives you the Racoon Leaf, which three brick blocks stacked on the ground next to where this question block is. Since the player has never seen the racoon tail power up before, they're going to be interested to know what this power up does and ideally should learn that hitting the appropriate button does the tail swipe attack. Since the player has then learned what a breakable brick block is, they'll hopefully attempt to use the tail swipe attack on the three stacked blocks next to them. The bottom brick of the three contains coins, rewarding the player again and also letting them know that brick blocks can also hold things as well. Now with this knowledge instilled, the player will hopefully attempt to tail swipe the two brick blocks above it. If they successfully hit the top brick it will trigger a vine to rise up into the sky, which the player can climb up to find a cloud platform which holds coins and a 1-up question block as a reward for successfully learning the tail swipe. This also puts the idea in the players head that there may things higher up in the sky that are out of their initial field of view.

Once the player returns back to the ground the next thing they'll face are a couple of winged Koopas followed by a long gap that cannot be crossed by a standard jump. It can only be crossed by doing a full running jump. The ground before this gap is long runway to get the player up to speed for the jump. Assuming the player hasn't lost their raccoon tail yet, which they shouldn't have because their jumping stuff from before should prepare them for the Koopas, when they make it up to full speed for the jump they should be able to take off and fly. There is a trail of coins leading them upwards and hopefully some natural curiosity should take them up there as well given that we've already shown them one secret "upper level" section. Up in this second secret area, there's a series of coins and a pipe that leads to a sub world. The room the player goes to via the pipe contains a few 1-up question blocks, which is their ultimate reward for flying up to that whole area initially.

After the player leaves this next bonus room they'll reach an area that's basically the final test of the level. They have to avoid some goombas and koopas and a gap in order to make it to the end of the level.

That's my 1-1 entry. I do give out a good chunk of 1-ups and coins, but my intention of this as a first level is to not discourage the player in the event that they fail to learn something and I also want them to feel excited going forward because "yeah, look at all these lives I managed to get!". The whole point of my level is built around teaching the player and leaving them excited to continue onward with the game.

Top Bottom