• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
First few done:

Satisfying to play through, but really, really short (better than too long though). Objects feel like they’re a little too close together, could space them out more horizontally. I do like how you can bust use the P-block though to get through the door or use the Tanooki tail up top.

Thanks for the feedback.

The length of a level and things crammed together are things I'm having issues with. I'm not really good at filler.

Oh, and there was a third option for those blocks. Not just the P-Block and Tanooki Tail. There's an invisible block with a shell too.

Alright GAF, I will be streaming NeoGAF stages starting at roughly 9PM Pacific Time Zone. That will be roughly less than an hour from now on !

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages ! Hope I am able to provide you guys feedback from a non-pro Mario players. I've seen a few GAF members play Mario stages like a champ. That won't be me, haha !

I hope you play my level, Shiba! You don't HAVE to finish it, but you've seen how it plays now so you know the tricks ;)
I'm watching the stream!

Here's the code: 73A1-0000-0049-51EA

jholmes

Alright GAF, I will be streaming NeoGAF stages starting at roughly 9PM Pacific Time Zone. That will be roughly less than an hour from now on !

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages ! Hope I am able to provide you guys feedback from a non-pro Mario players. I've seen a few GAF members play Mario stages like a champ. That won't be me, haha !

If you also wanted to do Caramel Cliffs, that would be rad.

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

jnWake

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Very few people have cleared this one so it'd be interesting to see someone play it.

Name: Climbing Goomba City.
ID: D075-0000-0034-B953.
Run through Goomba City while using both Goombas and moving platforms to get to the goal! I'd say it's pretty challenging.

If you edit and reupload a level, does it keep the same code? I would hate to have to go back and edit the code back all over the place XD

Kirk

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

OK, try out this one, "Spruce Moose": 35B3-0000-0044-F724

Thanks for your critique!! I really appreciate it. I've learned a LOT from seeing people try my level. I think you're right about it and I'll probably either make changes or alter the level entirely into a sequel level. I don't think it's particularly hard at any one point (I beat the level on my 2nd try, the long way)... obviously I know the intricacies of the level, but it does require you to be on point for a long time.

Did you manage to finish the level, or find any of the shortcuts?

I beat the level. I didn't notice the shortcuts but by the end I was cautious as I didn't want to do the whole thing again.

The way I see difficulty is that say a particular challenge a player has a 90% chance of getting through. Not so bad, right? Well add in another one, multiply that out and that's 81% chance they get through 2 challenges. If the level has 10 challenges that's like 35% chance they would beat the whole level. It adds up quick.

The challenges you had were fine. You just need to train the player more subtley, mix up the challenges up more so it wasn't challenge A 1, 2, and 3, then challenge B 1, 2, and 3, and not make the level so long or hard so that the player isn't set back so much on death.

Thank you for the feedback I will definitely take that into account going forward. I don't know why that shell at the beginning is now getting stuck. I tested it so many times and It never got stuck. I will have to go back and take a look at that.
Yeah, I liked the idea, it just got tiring after doing the level over and over a couple of times. Maybe put the shell thing near the end.

xandaca

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

If you want a gentle stage, try this: BE18-0000-004D-59FC. It's the stage I submitted for the 1-1 Challenge (although it's a different code now), the level itself shouldn't pose much of a challenge but see if you can find all three 1ups.

Changes code every time
Damn :(

I beat the level. I didn't notice the shortcuts but by the end I was cautious as I didn't want to do the whole thing again.

The way I see difficulty is that say a particular challenge a player has a 90% chance of getting through. Not so bad, right? Well add in another one, multiply that out and that's 81% chance they get through 2 challenges. If the level has 10 challenges that's like 35% chance they would beat the whole level. It adds up quick.

The challenges you had were fine. You just need to train the player more subtley, mix up the challenges up more so it wasn't challenge A 1, 2, and 3, then challenge B 1, 2, and 3, and not make the level so long or hard so that the player isn't set back so much on death.

You make a great point about the multiple 90% challenges. The later 1/2/3 stuff is mostly trying to take notes from Nintendo's design where they give you the same challenge with new twists each time. I do agree with you on the first spike wheel, though, that it shouldn't be deadly. It's supposed to be Safe Challenge -> Medium Challenge -> Mastery Challenge.

BooJoh

So I've finished 100 Mario Challenge on Easy as Bowser a couple times and there's a little easter egg for that. Has anyone done it on Normal or Expert yet? I'm curious what it might say but it seems like I mostly get NSMBU levels for the final castle in Normal.

Very few people have cleared this one so it'd be interesting to see someone play it.

Name: Climbing Goomba City.
ID: D075-0000-0034-B953.
Run through Goomba City while using both Goombas and moving platforms to get to the goal! I'd say it's pretty challenging.

Just played it. Saw your other level on the stream. Was really good.

I like this one. It was a nice progression. The clear rate is super low which surprises me because I cleared it in one attempt. My only issue with the level is that because the screen does not scroll fast, when you need to do vertical platorming sometimes you are on your way down before you actually see the platform. Might want to lower a few of those platforms. Otherwise. Great man. Starred and following.

My first Mystery House level got a good reception so I decided to make a second one:

WVW69iZl6WkkkgsiKH

Mystery House Surf: E3B1-0000-004D-050B .

For the second entry in the Mystery House series, I went with the SMB3 look. In this level, you have to, well, surf!

Wait, surf?

WVW69iZl7UMMNqJh0W

YES!

I discovered this mechanic in a GAF level, Nightmare in 1-1 (shame I don't have the code at hand but you can search for it in this thread, it's pretty cool). Mystery House Surf features four challenges around riding the beetle helmet and it can actually get pretty challenging, but it's also pretty fun!

Hope you guys try and enjoy it!

If you liked this level, please try my other levels. There's another (easier) Mystery House level there too.

EDIT:

Try this one!

That was super super sweet - loved the fourth challenge, it was really tricky! Amazing job.

Bog

Junior Ace
What About Bills?
4CC0-0000-004D-A714

After the runaway critical success of "What About Bill?", it was only a matter of time before a sequel was greenlit. In the follow up, expect even more heart-racing, intense 'Bill action as you attempt to navigate a difficult course while keeping at least one Bullet Bill alive throughout. This latest installment pushes the SMB engine to its limits, delivering the most thrilling 'Bill experience yet. From the originator of the "keep bullet bill alive" gameplay comes...

What About Bills?
AmgLu5t.jpg

4CC0-0000-004D-A714

jmizzal

Just made a Zelda level

It has Link in plenty of spots
Also has an over world plus dungeon
With Mini Boss and main Boss - made so that you will most likely have to kill him with the hidden weapon before you can exit lol
Also has secrets

I worked hard on it, took a while check it out, would like to know what you guys think

Zelda Maker - E698-0000-004D-D724

CPPUaQMVAAAc-X7.jpg:large

clav

Beat it! It was actually surprisingly fun and intense dodging all that stuff. Big problem though; I made it right near the end on my second try and found the p-switch, the problem was the Lakitu’s had spawned a bunch of spinys just floating around it while I was killing the hammer bros, making it impossible to progress without getting hit and dying. So I would take them out. The other thing, take out the bloopers man. They aren’t a good enemy, just terrible pathing on them. I don’t even know why Nintendo created those little bastards.

Hey thanks for the feedback.

I'll make note of the changes.

Yuterald

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Tree of Beginnings: 37A5-0000-004D-C561

My latest revision of my first stage. I think I'm finally done with it and ready to move on. Any feedback is appreciated.

Macheezmo

Oh man, I start up Mario Maker today and suddenly a bunch of people have played my Goomba course, then I find out I'm in the community showcase! Thanks to whoever suggested it and to everyone that has played it! I really enjoy that stage and I want to make some more easier ones. Now that it's finally the weekend I'm gonna try to play some more gaffer stages and work on a couple more of my own.

In the mean time, I whipped up a quick stage when I found out Yoshi can eat fireballs and throw them back, and also hammers. It's just a single screen boss fight type of stage. More of a concept demo than a real stage.

WVW69iZoeZQbfunVgS

Title: Catch and Release
Difficulty: 3/5
Description: As stated above, I found out Yoshi can return fireballs and hammers so I designed a boss fight around it. It's a bit of an endurance match, but with an infinite supply of Yoshis it's not really too hard
Code: 3D93-0000-004D-D4D1

If you want a gentle stage, try this: BE18-0000-004D-59FC. It's the stage I submitted for the 1-1 Challenge (although it's a different code now), the level itself shouldn't pose much of a challenge but see if you can find all three 1ups.

I gave this a try. You got the difficulty right. I think my main issue is there are a lot of different elements thrown at you too quickly. I think for a 1-1 you need to introduce maybe 4 enemy types at most and maybe one additional element.

xandaca

I gave this a try. You got the difficulty right. I think my main issue is there are a lot of different elements thrown at you too quickly. I think for a 1-1 you need to introduce maybe 4 enemy types at most and maybe one additional element.

I can see that - might have got a bit too carried away in the number of 'introductions' to make in a single stage. Hope you enjoyed it though!

Made a level that I thought about at work this week. Finally was able to play around with it. Wish we could use more vertical.

It's called: Falling With Style
Code: 62F8-0000-004D-E455

You have to be good at wall jumping to finish this. While I think it's difficult, it's very short.

edit:
1) How do people stream WiiU?
2) How are ppl taking screenshots of levels?

kinggroin

Banned
End of the stream ends with the greatest last laugh ever. I nearly burst out laughing.

"...that fucking stage"

Lord have mercy my sides still hurt

screenshot_20150919-04cu0o.png

If you also wanted to do Caramel Cliffs, that would be rad.

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

That vine at the end was god tier. I think it was a good level. Fairly simple difficulty. The part with the 1up in the blocks was sorta bull because every other drop had land beneath it. It was out of turn because. I appreciate vertical levels. Something different

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A minor tip for anyone streaming this game: make sure your colors are calibrated for 709 Limited. Otherwise your greens are probably too bright and your reds are too dark.

It's a little thing, but it's something you don't stop noticing elsewhere once you've fixed it for yourself.

clav

Made a stage inspired from one of the old SMB3 fortresses.

Mystery of the Bill Bomb Boo:

6E62-0000-004B-0F1B

Features a game mechanic that some of you have probably already seen.

Please offer feedback. Thanks!

kiryogi

Banned
Oh god, realized I never added a code to my post but thought image would work. Updated now, but here's the code too:

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

M.D.L

Neo Member

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

2yMfk5X.png

cress2000

ugh...block limits suck. I'm trying to make a Metroidy level and I guess I'm gonna have to scale it and back and/or use ugly workarounds. :\

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ugh...block limits suck. I'm trying to make a Metroidy level and I guess I'm gonna have to scale it and back and/or use ugly workarounds. :\

I'm shying away from making any more underground-centric stages for this reason. You can't make narrow caverns padded with thick walls for long before you run out of blocks.

hpkomic

Neo Member
Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

V0GSIS1.jpg

Adventure 1-1 ~ Grass Outskirts
Id:D782 0000 004D F33D
Tile set: New Super Mario Bros. U
Worlds: Ground, Underground

Tried to go simple and easy, cover the very basics. Has 2 bonus areas.

Pretty fun. It's nice to have normal stages to play. Definitely starred and followed.

clav

NSMB ☆-2

6054-0000-004D-FC49

WVW69iZo3VwTHogpIh

Played it.

Nice twist with a bit of a familiar Mario underground in the beginning and then something different.

FYI, players can enter pipes both ways. I entered the subarea from the exit and actually worked backwards.

I also expected a 1-up in the middle of the bridge.

Taramoor

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

795F-0000-003B-25BE

Try this one, it's fun and a little silly and shouldn't be too hard.

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

ShibaFan/NetMapel, I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for playing my stage. You downplay your own playing ability a lot, but two things:

1. You're still better than most Mario players
2. I learned far more watching you play my level than I did watching the "expert" players earlier. I want my levels to be approachable so seeing where the tough spots were for you is a huge help.

Thank you again!

Played it.

Nice twist with a bit of a familiar Mario underground in the beginning and then something different.

FYI, players can enter pipes both ways. I entered the subarea from the exit and actually worked backwards.

I also expected a 1-up in the middle of the bridge.

Yeah, I know you can go in both ways. I wish there was a way to stop that. Did you find anything interesting doing that backwards? lol

devonodev

If anyone wants to play yet another uncreative stupidly hard level where you're just avoiding buzzsaws, here you go!

78F1-0000-004D-A816

WVW69iZoAOAVoqcvSQ

Stoze

I'm alive, I promise. Here's the next batch:
My first Mystery House level got a good reception so I decided to make a second one:
WVW69iZl6WkkkgsiKH

Mystery House Surf: E3B1-0000-004D-050B .
Try this one!
Already been following you so didn’t even have to type it in :). I also made daily levels based on the tools you unlock in the editor like you did, but got bored after making Day 3 haha.

This level is great! Gradual introduction into difficulty and mechanics, and I really like the shell surfing. Only thing that’s kind of annoying is if you miss time your jump on the shell, it’s over without even hitting the spikes. But it’s not a big deal, the level is short and satisfying enough to not warrant a change.
If you wouldn't mind giving mine a try, would love to get some more people playing! And if you have any you would like me to play just list them and I will try them also!

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1
Multiple paths to the exit, 3 hidden 1-ups and watch out for other hidden boxes for other goodies!

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0
This one I attempted to go for a more classic Mario feel. It has a hidden exit and 3 hidden 1-ups.
Cool maze, I like the classic design where you fall down a path and hit invisible blocks to block off/create another path. I think you need to give more room with Mario to breath though, felt like I was too restricted.

Other level; I admit, I lost patience with this one and had to move on. I really like the concept of unlocking stuff with the Koopa shell destroying blocks, but it takes too long and kills the pacing at the beginning and middle/end of the level. Also the Koopa got stuck on the trampoline for some reason and I had to restart. It kind of makes the level drag on restarts. The long hallway is a bit unfair; you set the player up to go sprinting through that thing with Yoshi and then just throw a bunch of stuff at the player, they’re almost guaranteed to fall in the lava or lose Yoshi the first time. Same thing goes with the bullet bill across the lava with the other side not visible. The latter half of the level just felt kind of unstructured and slow. Good use of Thomps early on though.

Overall really neat concepts! But maybe try to put yourself into the player’s shoes more often when in the editor, think about space and what they see, and help guide them with coins or less branching paths.
Take your pick!

Bowser's Castle 64 [SMB]
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D

Cave Trolls [SMW]
8274-0000-0043-CBB2
Pick the pipe :)

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day) [NSMBU]
2BBD-0000-003F-47B9

Marioary [SMW]
73FC-0000-0028-6208
I pick all of them:

Bowser's Castle 64:Fun level and cool MK64 throwback. I feel like the Lakitu’s kinda got in the way and the giant thomp at the end killed some of the fast pacing. Sweet bowser sprite!

Marioary…I think I missed the reference on this one? But it was short and easy so…nice!

Cave Trolls – Cheeky little level. Player gets kinda screwed though if they use the p-switch, get the cape, and then lose the cape (unless I’m missing something).

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day): Sweet MM level, I like the moon getting bigger as you go through the level. It felt a bit directionless at times, like I was just kinda moving forward without feeling progress, but thanks to the generous power ups and helpful coin patterns I made it through.
Method to Madness: 1DE3 0000 0048 D02A

Shroom on the Ghost Ship: 8CD8 0000 004C 0374

I gave each one a few tries…sorry man, these ones aren’t for me. There’s an audience out there for people who like the super hard, trolling, invisible-block ridden type courses, but I don’t think you’ll find many here. I starred them though because it’s obvious they took quite a bit of effort. If one day you do try to make a more accessible level, just remember however many tries it takes you to beat, it’s probably going to take the player a lot more.

Asked before but would anyone mind giving my new level a shot. I went for normal difficulty and a classic design approach. Took the comments I got about my ghost house and incorporated them here.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

yH4Hu1r.jpg

hpkomic

Neo Member
Been going through and playing gaffer stages, find some really fun stuff. I'll keep trying stuff. If you have a course in particular you want feedback on, please respond. I'd also ask you try some of mine in return. I have pictures of these courses on my tumblr I made for Mario courses.

I have eight stages currently available and could use some feedback. I am doing them in a world format.

1-1 Use the Parakoopas 2.0 (3EC2-0000-0045-502F)
Use the Parakoopas to bounce your way across some gaps. It has two secret bonus rooms.

1-2 Piranha Plant Pop 2.0 (6400-0000-0045-50BC)
Avoid the piranha pants that pop out of the pipes. Keep an eye out for two bonus rooms.

1-3 A little help from Yoshi (A6C7-0000-0045-5166)
P-Switches and Yoshi! Yoshi will give you a boost, and he’ll catch up with you later on in the level. What a helpful dinosaur!

1-4 Backsy Forthsy Mansion 2.0 (82C0-0000-0045-5332)
Back and forth in a haunted mansion that puts you just out of reach of places you’ve been prior. Quite a challenging stage! Can you find the hidden door that leads to the back side of the goal?

2-1 Acrobatic Awareness (1323-0000-004B-E75B)
This stage features no enemies beyond a spawn pipe for Koopa Troopas. This map is all about mastering Mario’s moves and physics. It’s much harder than you’d think.

2-2 Mushroom Heights (4C2F-0000-004B-EB44)
I hope you’ve mastered vertical jumps and kicking around Koopa Shells. Tons of hidden lives can be found on this stage.

2-3 Bullet Bill’s Wild Ride (6B3E-0000-004B-F095)
Watch out for swarms of Bullet Bills as you make your way to the goal. Watch for some hidden paths.

2-4 That Crushing Feeling (35E4-0000-004C-01BF)
Time your traversal through this crushing cavern, and be prepared for the crushing depths of the deep sea. Definitely the hardest stage in world two.

Top Bottom