• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'll be playing some GAF levels for about a hour or so. Quote me with your level + ID and I'll give you some feedback and a star.

Here are some of my own levels:

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3AD
Description: Revisit Mario Kart 64 while racing through Bowser's castle. The ? blocks are mostly filled with Mario Kart items.

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y)
0BB1-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day)
2BBD-0000-003F-4B9
Description: A short retelling of the moon crashing on Termina. Spiritual succesor to the Dawn trilogy.

Mariotroid II: Return of Mario
1542-0000-0050-8DB5

Don't give me a star if you didn't like it. ;)

Also, some of your levels are missing a digit.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Satisfying to play through, but really, really short (better than too long though). Objects feel like they’re a little too close together, could space them out more horizontally. I do like how you can bust use the P-block though to get through the door or use the Tanooki tail up top.

Get this: 5% clear rate.

Banananananannanananannasaurus Rex cleared one of the most insane levels out there today

Bomb Voyage by PangaeaPanga!

Level ID: 2A8F-0000-0049-9485 if you fancy a go

4HH7r1k.gif

I'm fine thanks.

Ah that sounds good :) I do admit that the level gets pretty hectic after awhile with the flying thwomps and if the lakitus stick around long enough to throw down too many fireballs. I definitely need to redo the end of the level, I'll own up to it having the least amount of work.

But yeah, I think separating out the fire throwing lakitus as their own challenge will be something I will try. I'm a little worried about the majority of enemies being invincible and whether or not that'll impact how enjoyable the level will be.

BTW did you find a use for the koopa at the start of the level?

Seeing the coin I was expecting a 1up, all I got was a shell in the face.
So no I guess not.

IceMarker

Hey guys, I've been gone all week, but I've had my Wii U on me and I have created a ton of levels in that time! I'm here to post the more interesting ones. Thanks to anyone who tries one out!

zLQeQoi.jpg

Wailing Warehouse (8587-0000-004E-4799)

FSC7kY2.jpg

Retro Road (0BF2-0000-0039-2574)

zQrydnm.jpg

Cold Cavern (15F9-0000-0041-ABF4)

h9U0L4T.jpg

Bonesaw Base (84ED-0000-0047-B188)

qbHhlmq.jpg

Dinosaur Land (980F-0000-004E-4725)

d9xyRJQ.jpg

Reznor's Return? (4CDE-0000-0052-B2EF)

I'm really close to getting a new medal, so any stars are extra appreciated!

Ramsiege

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Level Name: Peaceful Plains
Code: EAA5-0000-0052-DF04
Tile set: Mario 3

Concepts Introduced:
Power-ups (Mushroom/Flower/Star Power)
Sub-levels
Run Jumping
Kicking and carrying Shells
Secret Blocks
Secret Vines
P-Switch

All which are optional. The only skill needed to beat the level is going right and regular jumping.

This is actually the second revision (albeit very slightly modified). The first one I had up to gather opinions and deaths. Even though the level is extremely simple there was a 78% clear rate, with 9 deaths outta 41 clears. The vast majority of deaths came from the very first goomba.

Good level. It really felt like an early world Mario level. Starred it for you!

Kouriozan

And here we go, my longest course yet.

Classic feeling : F0E3-0000-0052-EDE7
wiiu_screenshot_gamepg8ko6.jpg

I still need to get better at level designing but I'm happy about this one. Should be easy to normal difficulty.

Here's two of my levels:

Dr. Mario visits the three little Bowsers
83CA 0000 004B 9354

It's based on the three little pigs. Dr. Mario attemps a house call on 3 Bowser Jrs, but they don't take kindly to unwanted visitors. My version of the three different houses (I made the straw one out of coins lol) Watch out for the giant kitten attack on the roof!

Somewhere over the Bowser Stack
A23B 0000 0040 9876

I like this level I made, but almost noone has managed to beat it. I don't even think it's that hard! Would appreciate if some people here could beat it so that 6% beaten stat can go up lol

ChrisD

I deleted all levels except my Most Successful one.

And yeah, as much as I wanna get 1,000 Stars for making a crap level like Super Meat Bros. or any of RubberRoss's levels, I prefer levels which ain't Sadistic.

"The Past Shows The Way" will always be the most creative one I will make as very few do it. Might just move to making a 2nd one, but more fun and maybe less tedious.

Course ID: EA90-0000-0039-3E6A

People can try that if you want, it's hard to lose. :D

Hey man, say what you want about the auto-plays and sadistic just to be sadistic, but Super Meat Bros. is great. Super Meat Boy translates really well here, so any level that ACTUALLY sticks to its design works with me.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Hey guys, I posted my first level!

#staysmall A029-0000-0052-6259

It's following what I didn't know the a common theme of avoiding mushrooms, but I feel like I've built mine with a lot of care for the player and no points where you would get stuck being big.

I'd love to get some feedback to see if it works as well as I think it does. Thanks!

Kyzon

Can't get enough of some of the edit themes, especially the one for the SMW airship.

It'd be cool if you could play the stages with this playing but the original music stylised after the games they're from is obviously more appropriate.

I really wanna play stages with the edit music, honestly.

Thanks a lot! Out of curiosity do you have a link to your stream? I'll follow so that I can find out when you get on :)
Here ya go. http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

This was played on a couple of streams last night, but I'd still enjoy seeing it played again. I learned a lot from watching both of the others.

E8BD-0000-004B-D274

Edit: Oh, oops, I'm waaaaaaaay late.

I got ya tonight

If there's still room, I'd like to see one of my levels streamed.

Mario's Inside Story: A2E3-0000-003F-4572
Rightside Down Galaxy: 8641-0000-0051-F352

Which one is top priority? I'd like to do 1 of each gaffer's stage before doubling up on anyone.

Goomba's Grinder Grotto: 3A39-0000-0052-9D81

KDt1rFo.jpg

Got ya :)

You could try my rollercoaster stage if you like :)

What's the number for it?

I was pretty happy with the one I just posted-

The Big Boo Switch-Up!
AA8C-0000-0052-99E8

Also the previous one I made has hardly gotten any plays:

Kuribo's Boot-Bop
4F67-0000-003B-4F4F

I'll do one of them in the initial run, just lemme know which one you want to have priority. I can do a second after I go through everyone.

GAF. I'll collect stages for one hour starting now. 1 stage per member until 5:00pm Pacific time.

It's taking me a bit longer than expected to finish this stage I'm making, lol

correojon

I'll be playing some GAF levels for about a hour or so. Quote me with your level + ID and I'll give you some feedback and a star.

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D
Description: Revisit Mario Kart 64 while racing through Bowser's castle. The ? blocks are mostly filled with Mario Kart items.

0B81-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

2BBD-0000-003F-47B9
Description: A short retelling of the moon crashing on Termina. Spiritual succesor to the Dawn trilogy.

Please try my level:
I just finished another level, this one has taken me 3 days and I´m pretty happy with the result. Hope it gets the same reception as Circular Platforms 2!

Hope you enjoy it and if you find the secret treasure room please post a comment and brag about it!

I´ll play some of your levels and comment back.

kiryogi

Banned

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D

0B81-0000-004F-CF08

2BBD-0000-003F-47B9

Here's mine! Only one person has been able to clear it so far. Definitely on the expert side of things.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

A Ghost House themed like an abandoned lab with overgrown monstrosities and lots of ghosts! Travel through various paths and puzzle rooms. Remember to not trust the arrow signs!

Would absolutely love more feedback. There will be a more friendlier ! ! version coming soon.

Thud

Well, some feedback is always accepted!
Vie multiple nella nave volante
ID: 7435-0000-0037-3A28

Enjoyed it, but it lacks polish. Could fare better with the aesthetics and level design imo. The saw in the beginning where you drop down is a bit mean. I think I got a shortcut, skipped a lot of the level. The sublevel is very different from the airship, it feels off.

I hope it's useful.

Mariotroid II: Return of Mario
1542-0000-0050-8DB5

Don't give me a star if you didn't like it. ;)

I rather give some people multiple stars. Anyway fun level, easy to lose track of time. I wonder if you could have put the kuribo shoe behind the piranha plants. Lost my fire flower when I ran into these guys. A final puzzle would have been nice, but I'll gladly take the safe ending.

Your star is well deserved :)

jholmes

GAF. I'll collect stages for one hour starting now. 1 stage per member until 5:00pm Pacific time.

Would you care to play my new stage Torpedo Ted's Revenge? (B4F2-0000-0050-E8E2) It's not getting a ton of feedback or plays so I'd appreciate it.

WVW69iZwajkqHHAn5M

MouldyK

Hey man, say what you want about the auto-plays and sadistic just to be sadistic, but Super Meat Bros. is great. Super Meat Boy translates really well here, so any level that ACTUALLY sticks to its design works with me.

Oh fine! I was just salty about that one as it was hard. xD

Jucksalbe

Banned
I rather give some people multiple stars. Anyway fun level, easy to lose track of time. I wonder if you could have put the kuribo shoe behind the piranha plants. Lost my fire flower when I ran into these guys. A final puzzle would have been nice, but I'll gladly take the safe ending.

Your star is well deserved :)

Thanks. :)
Which piranha plants do you mean? As long as you didn't already cross those black plants you should always be able to get another fire flower and afterwards you don't need it anymore.

koam

I like the challenge of this level, I first used that easy route I think (
using the red turtle into the skull platform thing
). Pretty fun. The one part a wasn't too fond of, though is the section with the three thwomps and a few bricks, I feel like it slows down the level too much.

Thanks, yeah that's the shortcut, it's considerably more easy using that path. The three thwomps were there to slow down the pace a bit before the long thwomp passage that you have to go through right after but I guess if you take the shortcut you never notice that. I'll adjust.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I got ya tonight

Which one is top priority? I'd like to do 1 of each gaffer's stage before doubling up on anyone.

I'll do one of them in the initial run, just lemme know which one you want to have priority. I can do a second after I go through everyone.

Castello in aria? No, in acqua
ID - EF24-0000-0045-AB42

After two and a half failed expert runs I discover you can skip levels without losing a life. Seeing stars out of plays ratio helps tell if a level is worth trying.

correojon

I tried the 3 levels, here is the feedback:
Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D
Didn´t like it much, I couldn´t understand if I was supposed to go at full speed or carefully like a normal level. If I went at full speed Lakitu would get in the way, if I didn´t I couldn´t make some jumps. Also, there were block positioned just so you would die if you went for them...I left the level the moment that happened.

0B81-0000-004F-CF08
This one was much better and enjoyable. Awesome setting and very cool the idea of the cape tutorial. On the negative side it wasn´t clear where to go, once I died just next to the goal without knowing it was there. Also, sometimes doors or pipes would spawn you next to an enemy. Anyway I liked it and gave you a star.

2BBD-0000-003F-47B9
This was funny and original. Cool setting again, this was my favorite of the 3, so I gave you another star for this one.

It seems you really know how to give character to your levels.

kiryogi

Banned

I got ya tonight

Please try mine out. It is indeed very hard with only one person clearing it so far.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

A Ghost House themed like an abandoned lab with overgrown monstrosities and lots of ghosts! Travel through various paths and puzzle rooms. Remember to not trust the arrow signs!

I have a friendlier version coming soon, but for now I want to see if anyone else could clear it.

Nia

A Zelda II inspired level. Pretty proud of it, especially the boss fight. Hope you all check it out!

I completed it, though I will say it ended up being an ordeal, because of a random occurrence and my own hubris. I was happy when I
brought the P-Switch to the Fire Flower, but when I got there I found the Fire Flower wasn't there.

That also happened to someone who played my level, which is how I became aware of it. I assume that was the adjustment you mentioned? On another attempt I got the
Fire Flower and passed the flaming Cheep Cheeps (hate)
so I was celebrating, then a Goomba dropped on me...I tried again though and completed it. Good level.

Anteo

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Spring up!

45B4-0000-0053-3581

This stage is based on a 1-1 like stage I made earlier, I tried to smooth the difficulty and make it so players could learn a few thing safely. I think I still have some problems in the first series of pits but it should be alright.

I try to introduce the players to springs and how mario, powerups and enemies interact with it. Also I try to safely show them how to use the springs (as in its hard for them to kill themselves using it) and about running jumps in a super safe enviroment. There is also a hidden area that is well hidden that skips most of the level.

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
I felt inspired to do another Sonic 2 level, so I tried recreating the Wing Fortress Zone:

WVW69iZ1ahg7juMT81

Wing Fortress Zone
DFAF-0000-0053-1314

I think it worked out for the most part. The vertical size limitation made me have to squeeze some parts into smaller sections, but I think it worked out for the most part. All but 1 of the shortcuts from the original are able to be taken.

If you like that level, you might also like to try my other Sonic level:

Emerald Hill Zone Act 1
7FA5-0000-0028-C987

Good luck!

I've been working in some levels throughout the week. This is the first one that's good enough to be published. It's not too difficult and there's a lot of shortcuts.
Chilled to the Bone
CECB-0000-0052-F78C
2Oxiwvl.jpg
This other course was the result of a happy accident. It is the most simple stage I've made but it is still pretty fun.
Bouncing Bill Blasters
EF41-0000-0051-91E4
I6QZIL6.jpg

urfe

When you unlock Characters in the 100 Mario challenge, is there a way to set which one is in the question mushroom?

I only know how to do it with using an actual amiibo.

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
When you unlock Characters in the 100 Mario challenge, is there a way to set which one is in the question mushroom?

I only know how to do it with using an actual amiibo.
After you place the mystery mushroom, tap it and it will give you a list of all the costumes you have available.

RaidenZR

1 - big boo switch-up
2 - Kuribo's boot-bop

Thanks man! Appreciate it, and I hope ya enjoy your time with them!

BooJoh

I'm working on a logistically complex ghost house, and I just realized there's a pipe-pair limit on warping between main and sub world. I can no longer drag Mario onto a pipe to create new warps. Time to retool my level :|

EDIT: The limit seems to be 10 pairs.

Jobbs

Banned
The 100 Mario challenges seem to be about 9/10 either garbage or "press nothing" (or some variant) levels, and 1/10 good levels.

The first "press nothing" type level I saw amused me for its novelty -- After that, though, they do nothing for me. Pointless. Wish there was a way to downvote levels, or, at least, levels need some kind of categories or tags or something so I can avoid shit I don't like.

They really need some new way to engage people, to guide them to good levels, to incentivize beating levels. They need more engagement somehow.

I'm working on a logistically complex ghost house, and I just realized there's a pipe-pair limit on warping between main and sub world. I can no longer drag Mario onto a pipe to create new warps. Time to retool my level :|

EDIT: The limit seems to be 10 pairs.

This is but one example of the many, many harsh restrictions and limitations of the editor. Some are inexplicable, like the lack of a vertical slider.

Somewhere I recall reading that the editor has a placement limit on objects/tiles, but that it's so high you'll rarely bump into it in practical use. I have run into it on nearly every level I've made. My most popular level, Dave 4 1DE0-0000-0043-6437, ran into it so early that the only way forward was to fill the terrain with holes, like swiss cheese.

Top Bottom