• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Thud

Please try my level:

CIRCULAR PLATFORMS 3
A48C-0000-0052-02E2

I´ll play some of your levels and comment back.

I played a different level earlier, don't know if I cleared it.

Anyway it's fun and challenging. The coins are enough to get a feeling. There are a lot of arrows in it lol. Skipped through a lot of your level when I ventured into a warp pipe and lost my feather. Then the next warp pipe sends me directly above the goal. In this case I would punish the player and send them near the warp pipe I entered or let them retry the challenge with a cape.

Thanks. :)
Which piranha plants do you mean? As long as you didn't already cross those black plants you should always be able to get another fire flower and afterwards you don't need it anymore.

I did get a refill on the fire flower. It's not a big deal, they could have been better placed after the piranha plants.

Here's mine! Only one person has been able to clear it so far. Definitely on the expert side of things.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

A Ghost House themed like an abandoned lab with overgrown monstrosities and lots of ghosts! Travel through various paths and puzzle rooms. Remember to not trust the arrow signs!

Would absolutely love more feedback. There will be a more friendlier ! ! version coming soon.

I gave it a few tries, but the clown cart part killed me. The star above that part is gone before I can use it.

The first part is a good troll, but it's trial and error. I don't know if you can even make it without getting hit and abuse the invulnerability at the start. I gave you star tho, would love to see a version I can complete.

braves01

Banned
Some levels from earlier this week and a couple new ones. I don't want pity stars, but I will gladly take them since I've run up against the upload limit.

Bowser's crib : 9FD1-0000-0048-AFED

Bowser's bone cruise: 5CE7-0000-0034-603D

Mario Horror Story: Boo House: 4B32-0000-0048-7665

Yo dawg airships: 6160-0000-0044-D26C

Mario got skinny: 6BF7-0000-0053-168D

Spelunking with Captain Toad: BB1B-0000-0050-A669

Kyzon

The second one. It's the latest I made and unlike the first, it offers some challenge.

lol sry forgot to post it: 9258-0000-0050-E2EC

Would you care to play my new stage Torpedo Ted's Revenge? (B4F2-0000-0050-E8E2) It's not getting a ton of feedback or plays so I'd appreciate it.

WVW69iZwajkqHHAn5M

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=179352728

The top one labeled Mouth of Madness! Thanks!

Castello in aria? No, in acqua
ID - EF24-0000-0045-AB42

Please try mine out. It is indeed very hard with only one person clearing it so far.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

A Ghost House themed like an abandoned lab with overgrown monstrosities and lots of ghosts! Travel through various paths and puzzle rooms. Remember to not trust the arrow signs!

I have a friendlier version coming soon, but for now I want to see if anyone else could clear it.

1 - big boo switch-up
2 - Kuribo's boot-bop

Thanks man! Appreciate it, and I hope ya enjoy your time with them!

Alrighty then It's 5pm. I'll cut it off right here. Those who sent me stages earlier today and yesterday, I got you as well.

Gimme about half an hour or so to eat, and then I'll post the order and stream so I can try out your masterpieces :)

Dad

I've been working in some levels throughout the week. This is the first one that's good enough to be published. It's not too difficult and there's a lot of shortcuts.

This other course was the result of a happy accident. It is the most simple stage I've made but it is still pretty fun.

So you're the guy that's been starring all my stuff! Haha. But yeah, I played Bouncing Bill Blasters and it's a really fun concept. I could see it being incorporated in some really interesting ways down the road. Recommended.

After unlocking everything I finally made a course I was comfortable with uploading. It was originally too hard so I added fire flowers, mushrooms, and capes to make it more manageable.

fCqEqkm.jpg

The code is E58D-0000-0052-9B32

If anyone tries it, what do you think?

Made my first level. "Combo Jumps!"

I just got the game so I don't have much unlocked. I am trying to think in a Nintendo mindset when creating a level. Not incredibly hard, not too easy, and set up the level in a way the eases you into the strategy needed. Would appreciate some input/ critique!

8546-0000-0053-1C69

Thought I'd try making a level now that I have everything unlocked, but kept it focused. It's an airship level that focuses on multiple paths, a few secrets, and even an optional mid-boss that you can't immediately run from:

ID: 0D94-0000-0053-45CE

jnWake

Can you copy stuff from the main level to the sublevel (yes, I finally unlocked those haha)?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Contest entry. I think it's pretty neat!

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I found the star+leaf, cool level. I'll try it agan without it.

Edit: So what's the p switch for?

The P-Switch is for the blocks that lead to the door. The leaf can be used as well. I put a few different things in there to serve the same purpose.

Thud

I tried the 3 levels, here is the feedback:

Didn´t like it much, I couldn´t understand if I was supposed to go at full speed or carefully like a normal level. If I went at full speed Lakitu would get in the way, if I didn´t I couldn´t make some jumps. Also, there were block positioned just so you would die if you went for them...I left the level the moment that happened.

Somewhere in between :p. But the lakitu is an issue I could solve with a track in the first two laps. And I don't know which block you're talking about. Maybe the one next to the thwomp in the final lap, but everything is carefully placed while taking symmetry into account. The idea is to up the challenge every time after first letting the player feel safe.

Too bad you didn't like it, but hey we can't like everything. The feedback is helpful, I'm a bit torn on uploading something different beside it or putting up a new version.

This one was much better and enjoyable. Awesome setting and very cool the idea of the cape tutorial. On the negative side it wasn´t clear where to go, once I died just next to the goal without knowing it was there. Also, sometimes doors or pipes would spawn you next to an enemy. Anyway I liked it and gave you a star.

There is an arrow putting upwards towards the goal. You could see it when you enter the star pipe. Could have toned down on some goombas, did not know the respawning was that vicious and SMW goombas are harder to kill. The cape is not mandatory btw, there is a vine hidden in a block near the big goomba.

Another secret are the doors in the sub castle so players can skip the part they already completed.

You should also check out Marioary I made before. It's very friendly, although I was kinda experimenting with warp pipes :).

This was funny and original. Cool setting again, this was my favorite of the 3, so I gave you another star for this one.

It seems you really know how to give character to your levels.

Thanks, I didn't have a preset of the moon, so I had to improvise a bit. The bowser in Bowser's Castle 64 was based on the 8-bit version grid by grid.

Although the item distribution got a bit weird and loses a bit of focus. I don't know if I can tackle it that easy.

Glad you enjoyed it, Weird that I wasn't sure if people would like this one and getting some decent stars on Bowser's Castle 64.

RaidenZR

And here we go, my longest course yet.

Classic feeling : F0E3-0000-0052-EDE7
wiiu_screenshot_gamepg8ko6.jpg

I still need to get better at level designing but I'm happy about this one. Should be easy to normal difficulty.

I liked this one. Clean, simple, and it does have that classic feeling. Starred it!

Boba2007

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

FACB-0000-004E-F5CE

W5Jurph.jpg

I basically just tried to make it feel like a 1-1 that would be in an actual Mario game. It tries to introduce all the basics to a new player, including moving platforms and fire flowers, with it slowly becoming more difficult. It has two secret areas (underground and above the stage) and ends with the classic staircase!

O3DB5Tq.jpg

B_Bech

Alright, so I decided I'd try my hand at creating a full world. For the first theme I decided to do character cameo levels, each with their mechanics similar to the game the character originated from.

They turned out pretty fun, though one was a bit harder than I expected. I left it, because I kinda liked the challenge. I'll be posting my second world a bit after this.

---- NINTENDO WORLD-----

N-1

Rosalina's Interplanetary Stroll
(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

WVW69iZ1rR0fcibqXF

Difficulty: Easy

For this stage I decided to take the anti-gravity / multiple planets system from Mario Galaxy. You play as Rosalina, leisurely floating from pne planet to the next. Most planets are optional, but if you want to collect all the 1-UPs you'll have to explore them all. I tried to make them all feel like completely different worlds. Goomba Bounce Planet, Spiky Cave Planet, Party Piranha Planet, Silent Scream Planet, Rocky Wrench Hideout and Space Worm Planet... in case you wanted to know their names! This is probably the most fun out of all the levels I made. I found myself coming back to it just to stroll about. I hope you will, too.

N-2

Super Splatoon: Moray Towers
(7C91-0000-0051-EF58)

WVW69iZ1tCgaIGyQt3

Difficulty: Normal

This stage is quick and dirty, sorta like a match of Splatoon. Most of the maps in Splatoon do not lend themselves to a sidescroller de-make, so I picked Moray Towers-- a stage I find to be the most like a sidescroller. You can't kill enemies in this stage, so your main focus is dodging fire and scaling the towers. Kinda like avoiding snipers on Moray... I wanted it to be like ranked mode, just getting to the enemy base as the objective. (Which is pretty much Mario anyway) I used fireball cannons and squids stacked on Fire Piranhas to simulate the enemy ink fire. It's not my best level, but it's a nice nod to Splatoon... and the ending should be familiar to any of you who play online. I'm going to remake the DJ Octavio boss fight eventually, but for now this will do.

N-3

It Ain't Easy bein' Ollie
(BF91-0000-003C-B50B)

Difficulty- Normal- Expert

WVW69iZ1xOczPIfgPi

WVW69iZ1y2YGKNjPud

Fun fact, this world started out as a Luigi level. This was one of the first ideas I had when I heard of this game and the large enemy mechanics... I wanted to do something similar to a shrink ray, invented by E Gadd. Then my Olimar amiibo came in the mail and inspiration struck. I figured, how better to demonstrate a world becoming large than to use Olimar!? Yeah... so I at some point realized the Anniversary Mario amiibo makes you larger... Naturally, I put the two together to further exaggerate that sense of scale. So, you start the level off as Mario (big, and the level is a breeze)... then you go through a pipe. You must redo the level as Olimar. The catch is, everything is four times the size... and you now have to fight the bugs you couldn't see as Mario. Gaps you could walk over now can cause your death. You'll be running/ figuring out how to hide from your enemies in the second half of the level. Just like in Pikmin!

N-4

Pacman Fever
(8038-0000-0030-897D)

Difficulty: Normal

WVW69iZ1vO0JJCWaFL

This is the first cameo level I made. I wanted to make a puzzle level where you had to get to the middle rather than the end, and the whole stage had no real start point or a linear objective. I figured, which game better to do that with than Pac Man? This stage uses lots of tracks to simulate the feel of navigating a Pac Maze filled with ghosts. I also wanted to to make it important to kill the ghosts, as well have incentive to "eat" the pellets/ coins. I won't spoil the puzzle, but I definitely managed to hit those goals. Whether you find this easy or hard boils down on your ability to forget about the conventions of a Mario stage and play it like Pac Man!

N- BONUS

The Mysterious Castle Dracula
(BAFC-0000-0049-1C32)

Difficulty: Expert

WVW69iZbaf0jZpNeKB

I included this as a bonus level because it does not use an Amiibo Costume Mario, nor does it represent a Nintendo franchise. This level is essentially a miniature Castlevania game. There's no singular really, linear answer to progression, and, interestingly, you're technically advancing up rather than right. I added all sorts of Castlevania nods, like health ups in the lanterns. This is by far the hardest stage of the five. You'll need to figure out the way through that works best for you in order to beat both Dracula AND the clock. I even included a haunting clock room to rub it the fact that it's one of your biggest enemies. The puzzles are not obtuse and there's quite a bit of an action focus for a puzzle level. I think of all the stages I've ever made, this stage is probably the best-- as it should be... taking two days. I think if you really want to test yourself, this will provide an awesome challenge. It's a mini- Castlevania game, so expect it to be more of a self contained game then a simple level.

I really love all feedback, and if you take the time to try and star my levels I'll be more than happy to return the favor. Thanks guys, and I hope you really enjoy my cameo world!

Thud

Can you copy stuff from the main level to the sublevel (yes, I finally unlocked those haha)?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Contest entry. I think it's pretty neat!

If you want to copy things it has to be on the same layer. It's a pain, I put a lot of work getting blocks and the right spot. Luckily I aim for consistency, like 3 blocks here, then 6. Still a lot of switching between the two layers.

I have this feeling that mario maker was designed around the old SMB. Look at the start then place some ground next to it. You'll always notice the difference in SMB3, SMW and NSMBU. In SMB you can't tell the difference. I don't think I designed a level with ground next to the start in those styles. I think it's hideous lol.

Finished another level. Couldn't really think of a name for it so I just called it Underground Ghost House.

ID: 8DAE-0000-0053-7326

And my other decent level I made a few days ago.

DOTA!

ID: 5527-0000-0034-05CE

I'll be playing some GAF levels for about a hour or so. Quote me with your level + ID and I'll give you some feedback and a star.

Here are some of my own levels:

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D
Description: Revisit Mario Kart 64 while racing through Bowser's castle. The ? blocks are mostly filled with Mario Kart items.

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y)
0B81-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day)
2BBD-0000-003F-47B9
Description: A short retelling of the moon crashing on Termina. Spiritual succesor to the Dawn trilogy.

Wanna try mine out and let me know what you think?

So you're the guy that's been starring all my stuff! Haha. But yeah, I played Bouncing Bill Blasters and it's a really fun concept. I could see it being incorporated in some really interesting ways down the road. Recommended.
Thank you so much for playing it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I always star levels that are really fun and have a nice, reasonable challenge which is especially true for your levels. Here in GAF, I've seen so many interesting levels like yours with some really clever ideas that I just hope I can make one just as good soon enough.

kiryogi

Banned
Couldn’t get too far into this one, sorry mate. I died a lot and only made it 1/3 or ¼ of the way. There’s just too many enemies on screen, and the challenge feels like it’s coming from navigating around a bunch of giant hitbox enemies while I hope to not get hit by a stray chainchomp swipe or a fireball. I like the theme, aesthetic, and trick doors though!

I gave it a few tries, but the clown cart part killed me. The star above that part is gone before I can use it.

The first part is a good troll, but it's trial and error. I don't know if you can even make it without getting hit and abuse the invulnerability at the start. I gave you star tho, would love to see a version I can complete.

So here's the new public friendly version of Boo's Lab. I've added sound cues for effect but to also guide the player. Reduced enemy count and adjusted other things to be less obtuse. Also regarding the clown car portion, there's actually many ways of approaching it to my surprise based off what I've seen others do, so I did left that alone. XD Anything I didn't change was left intentionally otherwise. I'm pretty sure I toned it down a ton, the original took me two hours to do the clear upload, this only took me two lives. lol D:

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! (Notice it's two !! instead of ! ! ! !) Remember, arrows don't mean what they represent! Ghost House logic.
BDC8-0000-0053-6C16

Kyzon

Stream is here for Gaf stages. http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Wowfunhappy E8BD-0000-004B-D274
Daakusedo D1D4 0000 0048 4AA4
Mpl90 EF24-0000-0045-AB42
jholmes B4F2-0000-0050-E8E2
Suavelicious 9258-0000-0050-E2EC
RaidenZR AA8C-0000-0052-99E8
Coffeehofi 3A39-0000-0052-9D81
Gvitor 3A39-0000-0052-9D81
CoconutTank 4CCE-0000-0035-9AF6
Kinggroin 480A-0000-004E-3CA0
Kiryogi 0B04-0000-0049-57CA

I'm derping around for about 5 minutes then starting.

BowieZ

Banned
I had a thought that might be really old, but has anyone suggested the idea of a standalone downloadable app of just Course World? Maybe charge $9.99 or something, and then people who feel like they can't justify spending $50+ on a full game can just get all the user generated content and 100 Mario Mode, which has the added advantage of throwing more players, raters and commenters into the mix, rather than 'relying' on creators having to create the levels (which ideally take a long time to make) and play all the levels...

Dad

Stream is here for Gaf stages. http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Wowfunhappy E8BD-0000-004B-D274
Daakusedo D1D4 0000 0048 4AA4
Mpl90 EF24-0000-0045-AB42
jholmes B4F2-0000-0050-E8E2
Suavelicious 9258-0000-0050-E2EC
RaidenZR AA8C-0000-0052-99E8
Coffeehofi 3A39-0000-0052-9D81
Gvitor 3A39-0000-0052-9D81
CoconutTank 4CCE-0000-0035-9AF6
Kinggroin 480A-0000-004E-3CA0
Kiryogi 0B04-0000-0049-57CA

I'm derping around for about 5 minutes then starting.
I don't know if you have room for anymore, but...

City Beneath the Waves
57D8-0000-0027-65E2

R00bot

Super Mario Galaxy!

3B7C-0000-0053-8F56

Not so much based around exploring the planets as Mario Galaxy was, but more about the space ships and what's in them. Have a play, spent some good time on this one.

WVW69iZ2l_Qy2FJSNz

B_Bech

Super Mario Galaxy!

3B7C-0000-0053-8F56

Not so much based around exploring the planets as Mario Galaxy was, but more about the space ships and what's in them. Have a play, spent some good time on this one.

WVW69iZ2l_Qy2FJSNz

I just made a level completely opposite of this! I'll play yours if you play mine.

(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Been wondering if the difficult level I made is even fun to play, or just unfair at points. Anyone mind trying it and providing feedback?

48EF-0000-004A-CC29

Spoilers in case you don't want to know anything about it:
Mainly wondering about the two turtle shell jumps over the spikes.

DaBoss

So here's the new public friendly version of Boo's Lab. I've added sound cues for effect but to also guide the player. Reduced enemy count and adjusted other things to be less obtuse. Also regarding the clown car portion, there's actually many ways of approaching it to my surprise based off what I've seen others do, so I did left that alone. XD Anything I didn't change was left intentionally otherwise. I'm pretty sure I toned it down a ton, the original took me two hours to do the clear upload, this only took me two lives. lol D:

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! (Notice it's two !! instead of ! ! ! !) Remember, arrows don't mean what they represent! Ghost House logic.
BDC8-0000-0053-6C1
Just completed the original. Is this the most optimal path?

1. Take a Mystery Shroom and abuse invincibility to go to the door in the top-left.
2. If you need a Mystery Shrrom take the Peach or Yoshi one and then head to the right. There will be a Hammer Bro in a Clown Car. Take it out and then ride it to the box at the top-right. Let the star as far as it can go and then take it while in the clown car. Go around to the spiked path below and jump off the Clown Car and dash towards the pipe.
3. Take the Yoshi Mystery Shroom if you need it and ride the moving platform through the obstacles and then head to the door on the right.
4. Get through the block maze and then head to the final part which is just some tight jumps and hit the hidden block above the door which contains a vine. Use it and head to the flagpole.

Speaking of which, where does that door go? I just needed to jump around just to make sure there was nothing there before I would take the door lol.

I would say the level is technically fair with the platforming providing a good challenge, but the other paths I tried seemed to be very punishing.

PSqueak

Banned
New level experiment:

A7aC0XY.jpg

Destination: The Moon
ID: 7DB5 0000 0053 9069
Tileset: Super Mario Bros. 3
Worlds: Underground

This is an experiment with a more narrative level, please make sure to turn on on screen comments in at least the gamepad because it occurred to me that this system can be used to add little bits of narration and lore in this way, so i put a bit of story line sentences around the level (that's why it has 5 comments, that's me narrating!).

kiryogi

Banned
Just completed the original. Is this the most optimal path?

1. Take a Mystery Shroom and abuse invincibility to go to the door in the top-left.
2. If you need a Mystery Shrrom take the Peach or Yoshi one and then head to the right. There will be a Hammer Bro in a Clown Car. Take it out and then ride it to the box at the top-right. Let the star as far as it can go and then take it while in the clown car. Go around to the spiked path below and jump off the Clown Car and dash towards the pipe.
3. Take the Yoshi Mystery Shroom if you need it and ride the moving platform through the obstacles and then head to the door on the right.
4. Get through the block maze and then head to the final part which is just some tight jumps and hit the hidden block above the door which contains a vine. Use it and head to the flagpole.

Speaking of which, where does that door go? I just needed to jump around just to make sure there was nothing there before I would take the door lol.

I would say the level is technically fair with the platforming providing a good challenge, but the other paths I tried seemed to be very punishing.

Congrats on being #2! How long did it take you? The average seems like 2 hours ohoho D:

That's a pretty good path. Definitely the door hidden behind the Boo Wheel/Chain Chomp/Hammer Bros is a shortcut. It is possible to get it unscathed but more than like you'd have to damageboost.

Meanwhile that door is the biggest troll in that level, remember that one way path above the pipe at the end of the spike tunnel? As a friend puts it, puts you from 95% progression to 35%. Pretty evil, but one of the themes I try to emphasize heavily in this level is do not follow what the arrows tell you to do. It is the exact opposite.

In any case the revision has sound cues to help emphasize this further.

Also fix, I left off a letter on the revision if you want to explore it with less punishment: BDC8-0000-0053-6C16

Here's my contest entry.

Mario Begins 1-1
ID: C8DB-0000-0053-A30F
Pz6SCQL.jpg

No tricky platforming, just a straightforward level where I try to teach a few mechanics and reward players that learn them with a couple secret areas, coins, powerups or 1ups.

OmegaFax

Finally got around to posting them (reupped/tweaked/added new ones). Here's a list of all the stages I've made so far:

SMB 1-3 (SMW) 66C4-0000-0013-1FAE
More or less a replica of SMB 1-3 in SMW style.

Who Cares Aboot Koopas? 1B71-0000-0018-3206
Original stage. The "Aboot" was an intentional Canadian-ism of the word. Also, Sonic uses a Goomba's shoe.

Super Mario U.S.A. (2) Throwback 0CE9-0000-001C-7C94
Did SMB2 in SMW style because you can pick up and throw Goomba in this style.

Flight of the Buzzy-Beetles 2682-0000-0025-B30E
The layout for the very first part is similar to NSMBU's "Flight of the Para-Beetles" ... but everything is different after that. It's just a homage to that stage

Operation: Shy Guy 77AB-0000-002A-D2F4
Another SMB2 1-1 stage but with Shy Guy costume and a few slight adjustments here and there. Prefer this one to the SMW-style version.

Memories of Giant Land
AFD5-0000-002A-DEAA
Remix of two SMB3 Giant Land into one.

Giant Land Remix 8D44-0000-0032-34F4
Basically the SMB3 stage but with the ability to use the giant mushroom exclusive to the SMB1 style. You can take some massive shortcuts here.

Luigi's Timeshare A09D-0000-0034-089E
An original stage!?! Just a quick run with a few obstacles.

Kirby's Other Adventure 79D6-0000-0034-8AA0
Kirby's Adventure's first stage. Did the best I could with the lack of slopes.

30 Years Later: 5-1 is Haunted 5BD0-0000-0037-A25D
SMB's 5-1 stage with ghost characters replacing what would normally be Koopa Troopa and Goomba.

This Level is a Work in Progress E2B4-0000-003F-5798
Kind of intentionally half done. Starts out as NSMB's first stage but drops off into a short Bowser battle.

SMB 6-2
95AA-0000-003F-F61D
Pretty straight forward version of SMB's 6-2.

Grass Land Airship Remix BD78-0000-0042-E176

SMB3's airship stage ... again, more or less a faithful recreation with a Bowser Jr. fight at the end that's unique as in you probably have to beat Bowser Jr. before you can move to the goal. Tried to get something faithful to the Koopa Kid fights without doing something over the top.

Esper Alcove F9C8-0000-0043-9FE9
A completely original stage. You can beat it without running. More of a platform stage vs. an enemy stage.

8-3 (SMB) F490-0000-0044-AF20
Flood of unoriginality continues ... but hey, you can download it and mess with it if you want.

1-6 (SMB3) 2F5B-0000-0045-24CE
Yup.

Mega Man Dies at the End DD3D-0000-0045-28C0

More or less avoiding Bowser and dying at the end. Also, I liked that web series.

SMB3 6-1 Remix 663E-0000-0049-4FE6
Some different enemy placements.

Run, Metal Mario. Run! 19A2-0000-004C-66FB
SMB3's 7-6 more or less.

The Great Gig in the Sky 309B-0000-004D-EDE0
Super Mario World's "Tubular" stage with more enemies. Winged Hammer Bros. take over for the lack of Chagin' Chucks.

Crazy Vulcan's Keep 032B-0000-0052-6FDD
Original challenge stage. I like SMB3's fortress style. Ah, the memories. There's a lot of Bowsers in this stage though.

Anyways ... enjoy, comment, scold my lack of originality.

R00bot

I just made a level completely opposite of this! I'll play yours if you play mine.

(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

You're on! :)

Played and starred. Didn't quite finish it after getting to the rail platforms part and losing my platform, then trying to do it with a wiggler and falling off to my doom.

koam

I've been doing a lot of fun but easier stages and I decided to change things up. I've created a level that only people who have been playing mario for years can complete. It's not crazy or anything, it just requires a lot of skill, patience and you need to know your enemy.

It took me a solid 20 minutes to beat this stage so any tweaks resulting from feedback might take a while :)

Bowling With Bowser
0317-0000-0053-C044
WVW69iZ3EIUB2fiOuY

correojon

I played a different level earlier, don't know if I cleared it.

Anyway it's fun and challenging. The coins are enough to get a feeling. There are a lot of arrows in it lol. Skipped through a lot of your level when I ventured into a warp pipe and lost my feather. Then the next warp pipe sends me directly above the goal. In this case I would punish the player and send them near the warp pipe I entered or let them retry the challenge with a cape.
Yeah I may have overdone it with the arrows, but I wanted to make sure the player knew which direction each platform will take when stepping on them.
That was the last challenge of the level (the part you skipped is a simpler, easier version for people who couldn´t get the cape and keep it ´till that point). If you fail that challenge you can still get another feather before exiting through the pipe adn try again, but you must be big to break the blocks guarding access to it. That means you can only get hit once in that challenge. The reason is that this challenge guards the secret treasure room which then warps you to the goal. Something like this:
Normal path: Enter the goal with a platform.
Get hit twice in final challenge: Enter the goal from above with the cool ending.
Beat the final challenge: Get access to the treasure room and then enter the goal from above with the cool ending.

Thanks for the suggestions, I´ll have them in consideration for future levels :)

AdanVC

Holy. I just discovered that by pressing left/right + holding the Y button you can scroll fast during edit mode. GOTY.

Quoting myself because I also discovered by accident a very useful shortcut to delete items/enemies/etc. Just grab them and slide them to the edge of the Gamepad screen. GOAT.

jnWake

'Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1'

Here's my entry for the contest:

WVW69iZ3JJ860HFL8W

1-1 Rescue Mushroom Town: 1D4B-0000-0053-C672.

Mushroom Town is being attacked by Bowser's troops and it's up to Mario to save it! Mushroom Town isn't your typical 1-1 setting, since it's located in giant mushrooms above the tallest mountains of
Super
Mario's World. Luckily, you can use this mushrooms and the bridges built by the Toads to explore the city and take out Bowser's minions!

Most 1-1 levels tend to be ground based so for my entry I wanted to make something different, basing all the platforming in mushroom platforms and bridges. It lends to a cool visual identity. I thought pretty hard about platform placement so that the level was easy enough to be a 1-1 yet unique enough to be different. I tried my best to make the level naturally introduce the basic Mario mechanics and even the special mechanics tied to bridges and mushroom platforms.

I also added lots of places to explore and play around, with hidden power-ups and many hidden 1-ups (I think there are about 5, not counting ones you can get with coins and other stuff). There's a hidden area that only "experts" should reach. For said experts, an interesting challenge is trying to clear the level in 19 seconds, which is my fastest time.

Hope you like it! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. If you liked this level, please try my other ones: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178647401&postcount=4749 .

I'm also working on 1-2! It looks pretty cool so far, but a lot more challenging.

Here's my contest entry.

Mario Begins 1-1
ID: C8DB-0000-0053-A30F
Pz6SCQL.jpg

No tricky platforming, just a straightforward level where I try to teach a few mechanics and reward players that learn them with a couple secret areas, coins, powerups or 1ups.

Solid level! It was simple and fun, and finding the secret areas was nice. I think you could take the same style of teaching and add on some more difficult challenges at the end of the level for having the player use what they learned again.

Here's a new one from me. My brother and I made it together.

(Note: This isn't my contest entry.)

Protect Your Hiney
0815-0000-0053-BCBB

We took the idea of jumping over a tall wall and expanded on it for a sometimes difficult level, making sure to try and ease the player into it a bit. There's a silly "secret" area and three 1-ups, including the top of the flagpole. Hope you all enjoy!

Let me know if you play mine, and I'll play yours~

RaidenZR

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Basic Introduction: 5D10-0000-0029-1236

I hope all Mario beginners out there enjoy simple levels like this :)

No one appreciates simple levels, man. SMM is all about the auto-plays and the level trolling. If SMB 3 levels were in part of SMM, they'd get the lowest number of stars.

Top Bottom