• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Yuterald

WVW69iZ3k4A67OwRUB

Worm Root Way: AF0C-0000-0053-F38F

Here's my second tree level. Pretty happy with it. Looking for feedback.

jnWake

Some pseudo-live commentary:

Would you care to play my new stage Torpedo Ted's Revenge? (B4F2-0000-0050-E8E2) It's not getting a ton of feedback or plays so I'd appreciate it.

WVW69iZwajkqHHAn5M

You always post feedback for people so I feel you deserve some feedback too! Torpedo Ted based level, huh? These things are always annoying to avoid... Placement of the enemies is a tad tough from the very beggining with 2 homing bullets greeting you at the beggining! Then bullets + fish already present a decent challenge, especially for begginers. I'm surprised there are no homing bullets at the secret area, it seemed like a given! Overall, it's a fun level but it feels like all the hazards are the same. I'm not sure how you could mix them up though...

I also made a promotional image for my little stage.

DSJA8K2.png

Nice promotional image! SMB airship levels are always cool because of dat music. The rocket looks pretty cool. Nice use of the tiles. Inside of the rocket is interesting, many fire based hazards. None are particularly hard to avoid, so it feels fair. It's kinda weird you introduce Bowser in one part but then you never make us battle him. Felt like a missed opportunity.

I felt inspired to do another Sonic 2 level, so I tried recreating the Wing Fortress Zone:

WVW69iZ1ahg7juMT81

Wing Fortress Zone
DFAF-0000-0053-1314

I think it worked out for the most part. The vertical size limitation made me have to squeeze some parts into smaller sections, but I think it worked out for the most part. All but 1 of the shortcuts from the original are able to be taken.

Sonic recreation sounds interesting! The part with the circular tracks looks a bit weird, like if the platforms aren't well spaced. I wonder if that has anything to do with how Mario Maker makes things spawn... When working with airship levels you need to be careful with putting stuff too high or too low since the camera's movement can hide them. I skipped a huge part of the level in one of the top sections. Not sure if that was intentional... Fun level though!

EDIT: Lol, almost 30 hours played of SMM so far... Woops.

Solid level! It was simple and fun, and finding the secret areas was nice. I think you could take the same style of teaching and add on some more difficult challenges at the end of the level for having the player use what they learned again.

Here's a new one from me. My brother and I made it together.

(Note: This isn't my contest entry.)

Protect Your Hiney
0815-0000-0053-BCBB

We took the idea of jumping over a tall wall and expanded on it for a sometimes difficult level, making sure to try and ease the player into it a bit. There's a silly "secret" area and three 1-ups, including the top of the flagpole. Hope you all enjoy!

Let me know if you play mine, and I'll play yours~

Thanks for your feedback! I didn't think about adding more challenges since I was a bit concerned the level was getting a bit too long for a 1-1 type level. I'd totally do it on a 1-2 type level though.

Played yours, loved the difficulty! It was just right (challenging but fair). Loved the secret area and that flag ending was awesome xD

vikki

No one appreciates simple levels, man. SMM is all about the auto-plays and the level trolling. If SMB 3 levels were in part of SMM, they'd get the lowest number of stars.

It is difficult to make a simple, yet interesting stage. I think the 1-1 challenge may be more difficult than later challenges because everyone wants to add elements that may not belong in a 1-1. My first incarnation contained Mega Bowser.

Also, I'm playing levels arm of anyone wants to post some. Not sure how many I can get through, but I'll give it a go.

Mr.Fusion

Just made a Super Mario Land inspired level "Super Mario Land 5-1". I tried to include set pieces featured in the original game. Hope you enjoy it!

C670-0000-0054-01D4

WVW69iZ3uH0ukeNlWr

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey, if I have one of those Wii Super Famicom controllers that plugs in like a classic controller, would that work in this game?

Oidisco

Shroom Hopping
5345-0000-0054-0FBD

Just a level based on Mushroom platforms, nothing special. I wanted to make a pretty standard platforming level since the last few were took such a long time to plan out and make. Outside of 1 jump between platforms at the end, this stage is pretty easy.

RaidenZR

It is difficult to make a simple, yet interesting stage. I think the 1-1 challenge may be more difficult than later challenges because everyone wants to add elements that may not belong in a 1-1. My first incarnation contained Mega Bowser.

Also, I'm playing levels arm of anyone wants to post some. Not sure how many I can get through, but I'll give it a go.

Only four I've made so far:

The Big Boo Switch-Up!
AA8C-0000-0052-99E8

Kuribo's Boot-Bop
4F67-0000-003B-4F4F

Airship Assault
2426-0000-0026-8D09

Spiny Situation
6655-0000-001C-D2C1

I did this one before my Spiny one, but didn't think it was good enough to share, but here it is anyway. I wanted it to be a really simple level and was thinking of making it a 1-1 submission at the beginning but it ended up way too difficult for that. It's not super interesting, but oh well.

PAltELm.jpg

Main Street Bridge

10D5-0000-0050-A1EC

---------

One thing I want to mention--is it just me or do the Piranha Plants come out of the pipes too slowly? I mean in the sense that it seems to take too long for them to come out for the first time. I seem to remember the Piranha Plants in actual Mario games coming out for the first time right around the time the pipe first appears on screen in order to advertise themselves, but in all the Mario Maker levels I make they seem to exit the pipe after you've long since past them, and it makes them frustrating to use. Maybe it's because I'm using pipes as main platforms more than obstacles.

those mario kart stages are really fun haha
best sounds B^)

just got the game today and am loving it but why isn't everything unlocked? I updated the game and restarted it a few times but it is still locked , i used every item too for the first wave

Axiom

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Super Mario 2D World 1-1

8353-0000-0049-66A2

WVW69iZ3pSAuDwRLsU

I have tried my hand at making a 1-1 that teaches gameplay, introduces elements in friendly ways and coaxes the player to play around to proceed without telling them what to do.

The concept being if western Mario 2 was a more traditional Mario game that preceded and informed Mario Bros. 3 the same way 3 did for Mario World

Haines

Banned
Quoting myself because I also discovered by accident a very useful shortcut to delete items/enemies/etc. Just grab them and slide them to the edge of the Gamepad screen. GOAT.

Idk how you guys are just figuring this stuff out. Did that on my first day. Maybe i just have a seasoned gamers intuition.

I usually play most new games for about 3-4 days after i get them than go back to whatever i feel like. Im definately craving a jump back into this game.

Any chance 100 marios is better stuff now or do i need to look up levels in the filter system.

Gvitor

Alright, I'll be hopping off early because I need to wake up early tomorrow... but it was a great stream, some great levels and specially creative ways to use Thwomps.

And it was pretty fun seeing someone play my level. Sorry about the 2 fuzzy effects though, they really shouldn't have happened.

If anyone saw it in the stream and wants to play it, here it is:

AdanVC

I just finished a new level! I spend my whole saturday afternoon working on it :(

DON'T JUMP AT ALL!
570D-0000-0054-307D
WVW69iZ4Ll4IUsvZUe

You can do everything else -Walk, run and duck- and trust me, you're going to use them a lot in this level! Just. Don't. Jump! DON'T I created this level with streamers in mind so they can test their skills and prove to their audience that they are really not jumping at all so it can be a fun watch as well :D

Difficulty 3/5

Hope you guys can check it out! Thanks! :D

Alright, so I played this. I have a lot of feedback so bare with me

The Good
The length is solid. This level does not drag on and on. Hard levels that go on for too long are bad design without checkpoints. Good job on keeping it trim. You design is visually consistent. The SMW airship theme has a tendency of getting cluttered. You were abke to avoid that for the most part. The vast majority of this level is actually fun to play. That's the most important thing and you accomplished it.

Needs Work
There are a few bullshit moments. This is my personal opinion but I think that once you clear a section, things from that section should not appear in new sections to kill you without you having the ability to kill them. I got killed by an off screen bone and and off screen hammer. That shit is annoying. The section with the 3 Red Koopas is baf. The pirahna plant right abovw you with the koopa shells closong in basically makes it where 1) go back thtough door and try again, 2) first reaction is jump, plant hits you, 3) tank a hit, 4) if you have fire flower breeze through it. Yoj either need to move all the koopas away from the door 4 blocks or get rid of the plant. You have a lot of help power ups but you hide them in invisible blocks. You rarely put them in question blocks. If its a help item remove the searching and put it in the open. I get they were between boxes but that is a pattern that I had to die several times to figure out.

For a first level this was superb. If this is your first I am really going to be impressed by your later stuff

Sorry for the late response, but for your called bullshit moments:
I tried to avoid them as much as possible. There is nothing I hate more than some stupid leaps of faith with no certain outcome or things that try to kill you right at the beginning of the stage or something.
The section you described with the three koopas...yeah, it might need more fine-tuning. It wasn't the part where I died the most in my test-runs but that can be linked to me being the creator of the stage. I better go and remove the big fire piranha flower.
It's actually supposed to start hard and get harder as well as being supposed to die a lot to get better by keeping your starting fire flower for as long as possible, but if the player has no indication of where to look for possible supplies it's becoming ugly fast.

Thanks for your critique. Will work on it :)

EDIT: Here is the new one, will delete the old one:

The Ariship Heist v1.1

Course ID: CD06-0000-0054-5A88

(same image because that part didn't change).
As I said before, it's hard but not unbeatable. You're supposed to "Git gud" by learning from your mistakes. Bullshit moments were taken away, hard moments were left alone or changed slightly, everything's better now!

jholmes

Pacman Fever
(8038-0000-0030-897D)

Difficulty: Normal

WVW69iZ1vO0JJCWaFL

Really cool non-standard stage! Doesn't even play like Mario anymore really, but still a lot of fun. You managed to make a level hard while still giving unlimited powerups, and no pits. Good work!

Kuribo's Boot-Bop
4F67-0000-003B-4F4F

Not just giant shoes but winged shoes? I didn't even realize winged shoes worked differently! This is awesome! Really good stage, secrets are smart, and you don't even need the shoe! If you're skilled you can definitely go without for much of the stage -- maybe not the very end. Definitely recommended, and not just for shoe fans!

vikki

Only four I've made so far:

The Big Boo Switch-Up!
AA8C-0000-0052-99E8

Kuribo's Boot-Bop
4F67-0000-003B-4F4F

Airship Assault
2426-0000-0026-8D09

Spiny Situation
6655-0000-001C-D2C1

Fantastic level designs.

WVW69iZ1jR0JVg8X5B

Lava Ghost Zone
ID: E117-0000-0053-2230

Castle/Ghost house themed with multiple paths

I was a little confused where to go at one point, but it was a very cool stage.

I just finished a new level! I spend my whole saturday afternoon working on it :(

DON'T JUMP AT ALL!
570D-0000-0054-307D
WVW69iZ4Ll4IUsvZUe

:D

I had to jump, but it is a cool concept.

A short mini level about DK Jr. heading home and being scared by boos.

DK Jr. runs home to mommy
2866 0000 0052 C5B1

There's an immature visual gag at the end too :p

I really love some of the amiibos in this game. DK was great, and that was quite the gag.

EDIT: Here is the new one, will delete the old one:

The Ariship Heist v1.1

Course ID: CD06-0000-0054-5A88

!
That stage was a lot of fun. It was a bit of bullet hell every now and then, but it was fun.

5BF1-0000-0054-382D.jpeg

Can I join in? Until now I've been lurking and enjoying everyone's levels, but now I've finished one of my own:
Beetlemania: 5BF1-0000-0054-382D
Hope you enjoy it!

RaidenZR

Not just giant shoes but winged shoes? I didn't even realize winged shoes worked differently! This is awesome! Really good stage, secrets are smart, and you don't even need the shoe! If you're skilled you can definitely go without for much of the stage -- maybe not the very end. Definitely recommended, and not just for shoe fans!

Fantastic level designs.

Woah, thanks a ton, guys!

TheFatMan

Man, I've uploaded 7 levels now, and while I have about a total of 120 unique plays on them combined, I've only gotten 8 stars =(

I feel like I either suck at making levels, or people only appreciate the crazy levels (most of mine are more of a realistic mario approach)

vikki

Man, I've uploaded 7 levels now, and while I have about a total of 120 unique plays on them combined, I've only gotten 8 stars =(

I feel like I either suck at making levels, or people only appreciate the crazy levels (most of mine are more of a realistic mario approach)

Some people seem to be very conservative about giving out stars. I pretty much give everyone a star, but i will usually comment if I really like a stage or find something interesting or cool.

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
Sonic recreation sounds interesting! The part with the circular tracks looks a bit weird, like if the platforms aren't well spaced. I wonder if that has anything to do with how Mario Maker makes things spawn... When working with airship levels you need to be careful with putting stuff too high or too low since the camera's movement can hide them. I skipped a huge part of the level in one of the top sections. Not sure if that was intentional... Fun level though!
Thanks for trying it out! With the circular tracks, they are evenly spaced, it's just that sometimes, depending on how fast you go, they spawn weirdly. Same thing was happening with the flames on the tracks in the end.

Also, are you talking about the first section with the vines in the question blocks? If so, that little opening to skip part of the level is supposed to be there. The moving camera is pretty annoying though, I wish you could turn it off.

Thanks again!

Ranger X

We should have a star GAF club where we simply heart all our levels of each other. At some point we'll have have to upload slots unlocked. lol

Give me the ID of one of your levels in PM (don't wanna search this thread). I like levels are more "real Mario" like

jholmes

5BF1-0000-0054-382D.jpeg

Can I join in? Until now I've been lurking and enjoying everyone's levels, but now I've finished one of my own:
Beetlemania: 5BF1-0000-0054-382D
Hope you enjoy it!

Fantastic stuff. Finally, someone uses automation for good and not evil. I wouldn't call this stage perfect because some of what you ask the player to do is a bit non-intuitive -- he'll figure it out and come back, don't get me wrong! -- but there's a tremendous sense of spectacle and perhaps false accomplishment (think Sonic going through loop-de-loops, for example) that is underpinned by an expectation of competence on the part of the player. Well crafted and easily recommended. This level just nails the fun factor!

Gsnap

Ok I re-uploaded my level from earlier, taking a few gaf suggestions into account. Not much as changed, but it should be a little easier to tell where to go now.

Adventures in the Sunken City

3F1E-0000-0054-7487

Mario traverses the Underground and discovers an ancient abandoned civilization sunken deep in the magma pools. The platforming is a little more challenging than my other courses, but it shouldn't be too tough for anyone here. Feedback is of course appreciated.

You can find my other courses here:

1-1 Galoomba Hills – My submission for the SMM 1-1 contest (D176-0000-0048-CA3C)
Raiding Rocky's Air Ride (9391-0000-0046-3111)
Trash. Futility. (1723-0000-0040-43B6)

Been on an SMB kick lately so I've made a few SMB-based levels that I was hoping you guys could check out and give some feedback on!

Wario's Mystery Mansion - 5984-0000-003F-1AA7
WVW69iZBYeA3a3S3Wy

My highest rated (only 6 stars but still...) and personal favourite. It's made to feel like a lost level from the Wario Land games rather than a Mario level. You play as Wario (unless you get hit a lot. Then you don't haha) and have to solve some tricky puzzles to try and escape a mysterious mansion.

Wario's Mystery Mansion 2 - 4792-0000-0048-C869
WVW69iZaRrQTf1rY1y

The highly anticipated (by 6 people) sequel to Wario's Mystery Mansion where there's more Wario, more mystery, and more mansion. Some fun tricky puzzles in this one and lots of secrets if you go hunting! Once again, this is styled as a Wario Land level rather than an SMB one!

Super Green Hill Bros. - 4DD7-0000-0051-B845
WVW69iZySacN6UG3TS

I started out trying to remake Green Hill Zone Act 1 in SMB form but quickly realized that there's not nearly enough room to fit everything in, so I gave up and instead I just made an SMB level with some areas "inspired" by the classic Sonic level. By "inspired" I mean basically ripped directly but whatever.

Mario Bros: Partners in Grime - B7D1-0000-0048-6830
WVW69iZY78Iz-8EePK

The wordplay came first and the level came later. Dash through the grimy world of the mushroom kingdom, using doors to switch between Mario on the top half of the level and Luigi on the bottom. Mario fights baddies on top while Luigi does some tricky platforming on the bottom and hits various switches for Mario.

Wario's Quest for Coins - 4EDE-0000-001A-4769
WVW69iX_-LQt9ko5n8

The very first level I made but my most played by far and 2nd highest rated, so maybe Nintendo was onto something when limiting the toolset at the start. No gimmicks here (besides the greedy bastard wanting a bunch of coins so they're EVERYWHERE), just some tricky platforming as some fat yellow guy.

Since my Capitan Todd level was received pretty positively I decided to try my hand at two more with different concepts. Would love some more feedback on them as well!

Capitan Todd reaches the catacombs! Can he avoid spiky thwomps, spiky enemies and get all 100 coins and 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms? His hefty backpack is full of treasure and he can't jump!

Capitan Todd - Lvl. 2 (DON'T JUMP!)
8974-0000-0054-5096

Capitan Todd takes it to the skies! Oh, well, not really, but since he can't jump, even the smallest of platforms turns into the dauntest of trials! Can you lead Capitan Todd through a series of unstable platforms, find the 100 coins and find the 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms?

Capitan Todd - Lvl. 3 (DON'T JUMP!)
4CCD-0000-0054-D224

And, if you missed the first adventures of Capitan Todd:

Can you lead Capitan Todd through the dangers of the world? With his sturdy backpack, he cannot jump - and it's up to you to figure out how to lead him across the dastardly perils he will find! For an added challenge, find the 3 1-Up Mushrooms and the 100 coins scattered across the level - but remember, you can't jump - get your finger out of that darn A button!

Capitan Todd - Lvl. 1 (Don't Jump!)
2915-0000-0049-1B14

If I upload a course, is there an option to prevent people from downloading it?

I'm making a course with many hidden secrets including an eshop code as prize for people that find it, but it would be useless to do that if someone can just see everything through the editor.

btw these are some nice levels. Would like to see them in the 100 man challenge rotation but that would be too good to be true.

If I upload a course, is there an option to prevent people from downloading it?

I'm making a course with many hidden secrets including an eshop code as prize for people that find it, but it would be useless to do that if someone can just see everything through the editor.

There's no option to restrict downloading courses.

Gsnap

Since my Capitan Todd level was received pretty positively I decided to try my hand at two more with different concepts. Would love some more feedback on them as well!

Capitan Todd reaches the catacombs! Can he avoid spiky thwomps, spiky enemies and get all 100 coins and 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms? His hefty backpack is full of treasure and he can't jump!

8974-0000-0054-5096

Capitan Todd takes it to the skies! Oh, well, not really, but since he can't jump, even the smallest of platforms turns into the dauntest of trials! Can you lead Capitan Todd through a series of unstable platforms, find the 100 coins and find the 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms?

8F32-0000-0054-5822

yeeeeeeeah, gimme that sweet todd.

EDIT: Unless I messed up, I think captain todd lvl 3 has a part at the very end where you can get stuck and have to restart (as long as you're following the no jump rule). Don't know if that was intentional, or if I was just dumb and couldn't figure my way out, but I figured I'd let you know.

8974-0000-0054-5096

8F32-0000-0054-5822

And, if you missed the first adventures of Capitan Todd:

Can you lead Capitan Todd through the dangers of the world? With his sturdy backpack, he cannot jump - and it's up to you to figure out how to lead him across the dastardly perils he will find! For an added challenge, find the 3 1-Up Mushrooms and the 100 coins scattered across the level - but remember, you can't jump - get your finger out of that darn A button!

Capitan Todd - Lvl. 1 (Don't Jump!)
2915-0000-0049-1B14

These sound awesome! Great idea for a level gimmick. Can't wait to check these out tomorrow.

Fantastic stuff. Finally, someone uses automation for good and not evil. I wouldn't call this stage perfect because some of what you ask the player to do is a bit non-intuitive -- he'll figure it out and come back, don't get me wrong! -- but there's a tremendous sense of spectacle and perhaps false accomplishment (think Sonic going through loop-de-loops, for example) that is underpinned by an expectation of competence on the part of the player. Well crafted and easily recommended. This level just nails the fun factor!

Oh man, thanks! It was hard to guess how somebody new would approach the stage, or just how tricky some parts would be. I'm glad you weren't deterred!

vikki

We've got to be around 50 by now, if not higher. And we'll probably get the bulk of submissions tomorrow

We all get to play them though, right? I've played a chunk of them already. Good times. If anything, 1-1 is easy so hopefully they don't take long to get through.

Dad

We all get to play them though, right? I've played a chunk of them already. Good times. If anything, 1-1 is easy so hopefully they don't take long to get through.

I can't help but feel there's going to be a skew towards earlier entries when people start to fizzle out around entry number twenty or thirty.

BooJoh

I spent the better part of the evening working on this relatively short ghost house stage. Much to my dismay I realized you can only have a total of 10 pipe pairs, but I made it work.

WVW69iai4k80V8PvB1

Big Boo's Box of Bewilderment

1CB8-0000-0062-C528

Gsnap

I can't help but feel there's going to be a skew towards earlier entries when people start to fizzle out around entry number twenty or thirty.

Possibly. I'm just worried about how much the levels may begin to run together in my mind since most of them should be pretty similar.

Raven77

Just uploaded my first level.

Yoshi Rescue!

C466-0000-0054-A82E

unnamed.jpg

Would LOVE some feedback. I went for a very natural style trying to incorporate underground things, multiple paths, complicated jumps, and not overdoing it with enemies, etc.

Top Bottom