• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Eteric Rice

So, whats the chances of them patching in more tools in the future? Also, how do I use those crazy laser effects? I don't even know if I unlocked them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've uploaded a revised version of my Groundhog Day level:

Groundhog Day v3
(1550-0000-0056-E34C)

nmOqjge.jpg

OfdqZDM.jpg

Mario is stuck in a time loop, and the same day is repeating endlessly. Can you find a way to escape the loop and fix time?
As usual, there are three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.

Feedback would be very appreciated!

My other stages:

Welcome to Retroland 1-1
(546B-0000-0022-5E73)
A simple opening level, with a few secrets and three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cube: 9 Rooms, 9 Challenges (featured here: http://kotaku.com/20-excellent-mario-maker-courses-you-should-play-1731659732)
(36A3-0000-0038-EC1B)
It's loosely inspired by the movie The Cube, and features nine 1-screen rooms arranged in a 3x3 square with different traps inside.
I wanted to make a puzzley level with small, self-contained rooms, and experiment with backtracking and permanent changes to the environment. Which proved itself to be quite the challenge.
Not all rooms are mandatory to complete, some lead to the three 1up mushrooms hidden around, and one features an optional puzzle whose completion can make your life a bit easier later on.
Don't Trust The Coins!
(453F-0000-004C-10A9)
For 30 years, we've relied on coins to guide us and tell us the way. What happens when they revolt? What happens if they try to kill us?
A SMB3 styled castle level with (once again) three hidden 1up mushrooms, and a twist: if you see coins, be aware. They may be trying to lure you.

Schlomo

~ Diddy Kong's Kong Gloomy Jungle ~

Almost 4 Hours of work, it's an easy, short and solid level, so please ... take a look !

7B44-0000-0053-C416

WVW69iZ72LAdMpnC0g

yep, stars needed :/

The first P switch was fine, but I couldn't make it past all those walls with the vines, sorry. The laughter sound didn't make it better...

Jocchan said:
Groundhog Day v2

OK, I didn't get this at all. I found a P switch but couldn't reach it. Any hints?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Go My Way!! - DCB5-0000-0055-83D8

This is my first go at a music based stage. Learnt quite a bit making this; mostly, don't try to make too long a piece of music as it is very easy to hit the enemy limit. Just making the melody used it up (even then I had to cut it short by a couple of bars) so I had no chance to add a lot of other instruments and items can be more tricky to use as they move around a lot more, have too by contained and often disappear if on the same square as an enemy meaning they can't use the same note. If you were to download the stage you'd see what a mess of blocks the music half is in some areas.

As you can see in the screenshot I didn't want this to be an autoplay level so you have to still play a Mario level rather than twiddle your thumbs. I used Cheetah speed to move the player along but all upcoming dangers should be nicely projected (I hope, since builder bias means I will always know what is coming up). There's a bit of difficulty in it I admit but I ease down on the difficulty towards the end to allow you to hear the rest of the piece without the risk of having to start again.

Since this was my first attempt there is room for improvement. My suggestion would be to use music creation for a bonus area. That would be perfect for a shorter ditty. This would also allow the rest of your level not be constrained because of it (because I hit the enemy limit my tool options were hampered quite a bit especially as on rail items are part of the same count!)

Just played your level. Loved it. It has the simplicity that a 1-1 level should have but has it's dangers here and there. And great positioning of that 1-up!
Thanks.

vikki

Koopa Hill - 9E33-0000-0055-8C19

Solid entry. The one thing I didn't tackle in my 1-1, which I decided not to deal with was the exit pipe. There are few ways i've seen others deal with pipes that you may not want the player to get to if they haven't reached the entrance pipe. Your solution was good, surrounding the pipe with Stone and having the platform above. There are other ways i've noticed, pipe being out of reach or using flip blocks, but I like your solution.

daakusedo

I watched the replay of the stream Kyzon.
So I made a walkthrough for the optional path based on it.

Yes, you can reach the koopa! A spin to get in between.Gonna like the ? block on top...

Walljump here to not loose the koopas chain.

You don't like stopping on ground so obviously you fall here.

The last tricky moment, a spin where the coins are should make you land on the falling koopa.

After that, then end is near.

Schlomo

You might need
something to help you jump higher.

Thanks. I had tried
putting the shell on the mushroom
before but couldn't quite make it, so I thought there must be some other solution. It's a good idea for a puzzle, but I think it should me more obvious the switch is even there.

Nohar

Here is my final level of World 1: 1-8 (I know, originality isn't my forte). Of course, since it is heavily inspired by SMB3, it is an auto-scrolling airship level. Rather short and easy, as it ought to be (trivia: the first airship stage on SMB3 lasts only 40~ seconds between Mario becoming playable and reaching the boss pipe).

Name: 1-8 Diff: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Airship - Autoscrolling)
ID code: 0775-0000-0056-1401
Notes: One hidden 1UP

For the intended gaming experience, I advise players to download levels 1 to 8 and play them from their level box. Indeed, if you arrange them correctly, you can play through level 1 to 4 and 5 to 8 in a row, thanks to the "Play" button right under the "World X" name (left side of the screen).

The purpose of this is the following:
  • You will experience a "normal" Mario playthrough.
  • You begin with 3 lives. Once you run out of lives, it is Game Over (unlike playing levels independently from each other). Lives are shared between the 4 levels of the "World" you are playing in.
  • Coins are shared between levels. If you finished level 1 with 32 coins, you will begin level 2 with 32 coins.
  • Sadly, power-ups aren't shared. Even if you finished level 1 as Adult Mario, you will begin level 2 as Tiny Mario.

You can find all of my levels here, in that recap post.

Keep in mind that I made those levels for new players, and tried to mimic the Super Mario Bros 3 level progression (with some exceptions). Therefore, they are easy (it is World 1 after all), and may not prove very challenging. I do hope that you will find them enjoyable.

Now that World 1 is done, I'll begin working on World 2, which will be a little more difficult.

daakusedo

Also, I played "Spin for koopa".
I don't know if it's intentional, but skipping the first part lead to awesome platforming nonetheless.
I jump on the first paratroopa to reach the cannons on the left, wall jump to bounce on the bullets coming to the right, sacrifice the spikehat on the plant and trigger a triple jump to land on the last platform before the second paratroopa.

Dad

I've made a few more levels since that last I posted. I'm not as happy with these as I was my earlier stuff, but I would love some feedback on certain aspects that are lacking.

WVW69iZyHHEClWEV3V

Chill Chill Manor
58CA-0000-0051-A54E
Easy-Medium Difficulty

WVW69iY-lA4yl7O5n8

Sharp Sharp Sawmill
18D3-0000-003D-AC0B
Medium Difficulty

WVW69iY1A3I3CxjXyu

Scrolling Smashers
931E-0000-0039-6D67
Medium Difficulty

R00bot

My two newest levels:

Super Mario Galaxy!
3B7C-0000-0053-8F56
WVW69iZ2l_Qy2FJSNz

The name is Super Mario Galaxy, but it's not really about exploring planets as the Mario Galaxy games we about. The level has you jumping from spaceship to spaceship, each with varying designs, as well as a planet or two and a satellite (which you will probably miss). Some ships are enterable, and the level ends with a gigantic shoe goomba space ship attacking a planet for reasons unknown (maybe you'll find out?).

And my newest (with a stellar name, might I add);
Randomly Repeating Room Romp
7595-0000-0056-14F5

WVW69iZ9ioQA4mkkid

This level will make you think you're insane, it made me think I was losing it as I was making it. Inspired by some of the repeating stages in older Mario games, of course with the usual Mario Maker flair (amateurishness in level design).

Have fun guys :)

Schlomo

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

1-1 My First Yoshi

6191-0000-0050-C068

WVW69iZwDBUjhluaaY

This is a 1-1 type level for a fictional new Mario game featuring Yoshi. It's also the first entry in the series not to have any bricks or ? blocks because Miyamoto was sick of them!

Experienced players can try for two challenges:
- Find 3 hidden 1-Up mushrooms.
- Clear in 20 seconds or less.

While I have your attention, here are my previous courses:

Fight Fire With Fire

85A1-0000-0020-5A2F
A short revenge story featuring fire flowers.

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates
7274-0000-0042-C6D7
Can you get back all 99 coins from the pirates who killed your father?

KeRaSh

Played around 30 GAF levels that I collected in this thread over the week. Finally got the time to play them. I enjoyed and starred most of them.

Here is a list of mine if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to work on a new level since my entry for the GAF 1-1 competition.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/KeRaSh

KingBroly

Banned
I'm discovering that I really am a big fan of visual design. I try to make everything make sense in a level visually, and I'm going to painstaking lengths on some things. It's so weird. Maybe it's just me wanting something different from Mario after all the years focusing on the Mario Bros. 3 look of a stage play with pre-school blocks everywhere.

MilesTeg

Banned
Figured I would post my two favorite levels that I have made thus far:

Mario's Multilevel Adventure - E324000000531DED

Grounded Airship - CD38000000512C09

They are fairly easy levels. Let me know what you guys think.

Dad

I'm discovering that I really am a big fan of visual design. I try to make everything make sense in a level visually, and I'm going to painstaking lengths on some things. It's so weird. Maybe it's just me wanting something different from Mario after all the years focusing on the Mario Bros. 3 look of a stage play with pre-school blocks everywhere.

I keep ending up doing this too. I feel like I'm trying to make DKC levels in a Mario editor.

Well, here's my first two. Please tell me what you'd change, as this is all new to me. :)
2A2D-0000-0056-8BE7 (medium-hard castle).
D871-0000-0050-923E (variations on a concept, the idea is to introduce it with easier examples and then progressively overcome harder versions).

Now to play everyone's levels and favorite them...

Schlomo

I've made a few more levels since that last I posted. I'm not as happy with these as I was my earlier stuff, but I would love some feedback on certain aspects that are lacking.

Chill Chill Manor

Solid stage, but maybe a bit too simplistic. It lacks that certain something.

Sharp Sharp Sawmill

Equally solid.

Scrolling Smashers

This was my favorite of this bunch. The single block platforms are very hard at first, but once I had adapted, this was a great stage!

cyba89

Tried to create an interesting underwater level that relies a bit on exploration. I know most of you hate underwater levels but I swear this one doesn't feature any bloopers (because f*** bloopers). Feedback is greatly appreciated as always.

Lost Treasure Of Atlantis
F6D5-0000-0056-79C7
WVW69iZ-otQW7hvb5H

Explore with Mario the hidden depths of a sunken city. Can you find the three 1-Ups?

Of course you can also try my other levels: http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/cyba89

urfe

Here are two levels. One level (基礎マリオ) has only been beaten once, and I don't get why because I honestly didn't try to make it too difficult.

The other one I just made, and while I think still shows me as an amateur, it is me trying to create a fun atsmosphere. It has zero enemies, so it should be fairly easy I hope.

DedValve

Banned
I made my second level (my first isn't good at all and will get a revamp)

I'm trying to use Nintendo's method of making simple levels that feature a gimmick and quickly teach you how the level works. Let me know what you think and any feedback is appreciated.

WVW69iZ3lIQQuQ26K8

Jump to the beat (51E2-0000-0053-F3FD)

Forkball

Finally made a new level.

Grand Galoomba Gala
KbZiwCK.jpg

6953-0000-0056-C61E

Bounce, fly, ride, and survive in this galoomba-only stage. You can knock them over, but please do not kill them, this is their home.

Gonna run through some GAF levels now. I can only take so many automatic stages before I lose my sanity.

Sölf

Here is my final level of World 1: 1-8 (I know, originality isn't my forte). Of course, since it is heavily inspired by SMB3, it is an auto-scrolling airship level. Rather short and easy, as it ought to be (trivia: the first airship stage on SMB3 lasts only 40~ seconds between Mario becoming playable and reaching the boss pipe).

Name: 1-8 Diff: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Airship - Autoscrolling)
ID code: 0775-0000-0056-1401
Notes: One hidden 1UP

For the intended gaming experience, I advise players to download levels 1 to 8 and play them from their level box. Indeed, if you arrange them correctly, you can play through level 1 to 4 and 5 to 8 in a row, thanks to the "Play" button right under the "World X" name (left side of the screen).

The purpose of this is the following:
  • You will experience a "normal" Mario playthrough.
  • You begin with 3 lives. Once you run out of lives, it is Game Over (unlike playing levels independently from each other). Lives are shared between the 4 levels of the "World" you are playing in.
  • Coins are shared between levels. If you finished level 1 with 32 coins, you will begin level 2 with 32 coins.
  • Sadly, power-ups aren't shared. Even if you finished level 1 as Adult Mario, you will begin level 2 as Tiny Mario.

You can find all of my levels here, in that recap post.

Keep in mind that I made those levels for new players, and tried to mimic the Super Mario Bros 3 level progression (with some exceptions). Therefore, they are easy (it is World 1 after all), and may not prove very challenging. I do hope that you will find them enjoyable.

Now that World 1 is done, I'll begin working on World 2, which will be a little more difficult.

Finished it. Good as always. And a nice boss at the end. :A

I currently have 5 levels for my first world, but I actually think because of the "Play world" that it would make more sense to either to 4 or 8 levels. Then again, I doubt many people would actually download it. And if you start in 1-5 and then go to 2-1 without pause, I doubt it would make that much difference.

Anyways, will start doing 2-1 now. BRB! xD

octopiggy

Wow! The stars are really flowing now. Got medal number 7!
WVW69iZ-0S4_H3u-jy

I think the next medal is 2,000.

I also just noticed that WarioWare, Inc. is number 34 in the all-time, normal difficulty chart.

urfe

WVW69iZ-0S4_H3u-jy

I think the next medal is 2,000.

I also just noticed that WarioWare, Inc. is number 34 in the all-time, normal difficulty chart.

That's amazing. I definitely still need to get the hang of this.

cyba89

Here are two levels. One level (基礎マリオ) has only been beaten once, and I don't get why because I honestly didn't try to make it too difficult.

The other one I just made, and while I think still shows me as an amateur, it is me trying to create a fun atsmosphere. It has zero enemies, so it should be fairly easy I hope.

First one is overall fun, but you have some blind jumps there. Especially in the last section with the Parakoopas and the Spike Tops where you have to go down. You can't see where the floor is and you have a very misleading coin there.
I liked the second one more. Good focus on pure platforming while not falling into Super Meat Boy-difficulity levels. Note blocks can be a bit unreliable so maybe don't focus too much on them, when you create platforming stuff. Died twice at the very last jump because of them.

Well, here's my first two. Please tell me what you'd change, as this is all new to me. :)
2A2D-0000-0056-8BE7 (medium-hard castle).
D871-0000-0050-923E (variations on a concept, the idea is to introduce it with easier examples and then progressively overcome harder versions).

Now to play everyone's levels and favorite them...

Both good and fun stages, although the concept in the second is maybe a bit thin and does not offer much variety aside from more fireballs.

Wow. congrats!
And I'm sitting here with my 142 stars...

urfe

First one is overall fun, but you have some blind jumps there. Especially in the last section with the Parakoopas and the Spike Tops where you have to go down. You can't see where the floor is and you have a very misleading coin there.
I liked the second one more. Good focus on pure platforming while not falling into Super Meat Boy-difficulity levels. Note blocks can be a bit unreliable so maybe don't focus too much on them, when you create platforming stuff. Died twice at the very last jump because of them.

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

General question, when you edit an uploaded level, do all the plays and favorites get deleted?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What the hell, some small stage called "Please Dance" that is basically one sub room with the party music and 2 Yoshis on a spring got 2419 stars.

Meanwhile, I'm fighting to even get 5 stars on my levels where I've put hours into them.

3cd8a33a.png

Thud

I also did my try with the 1-1 challenge, but I'm not gonna submit it. Here's a level reminiscent of SMB and Lost Levels with some secrets hidden.

WVW69iaAKFgiDm_f7Q

Sölf

Sölf;179417560 said:
Anyways, will start doing 2-1 now. BRB! xD

Took me 20 minutes, rofl. It probably helped that I had an idea for a level already.

Anyways, 2-1 here:

WVW69iaAYuQtk2MWSk

2-1 Over the Hills
C3C4-0000-0056-FA38

It's still an easy stage, but it has much more enemies which are also placed tighter together. Only a few secrets this time, mainly because the stage is rather short. Also no subsection yet. 2-2 will probably either my first autoscroller or another one with many jumps and pitfalls. Not sure yet. That one will definitly take longer than 20 minutes to create... xD

IceMarker

What the hell, some small stage called "Please Dance" that is basically one sub room with the party music and 2 Yoshis on a spring got 2419 stars.

Meanwhile, I'm fighting to even get 5 stars on my levels where I've put hours into them.

3cd8a33a.png

Welcome to Mario Maker! :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks. I had tried
putting the shell on the mushroom
before but couldn't quite make it, so I thought there must be some other solution. It's a good idea for a puzzle, but I think it should me more obvious the switch is even there.
Thanks for the feedback. I've uploaded a new version, which makes it a little bit more obvious and addresses a few other issues I noticed.

I've uploaded a revised version of my Groundhog Day level:

Groundhog Day v3
(1550-0000-0056-E34C)

nmOqjge.jpg

OfdqZDM.jpg

Mario is stuck in a time loop, and the same day is repeating endlessly. Can you find a way to escape the loop and fix time?
As usual, there are three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.

Feedback would be very appreciated!

My other stages:

Welcome to Retroland 1-1
(546B-0000-0022-5E73)

A simple opening level, with a few secrets and three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.
The Cube: 9 Rooms, 9 Challenges (featured here: http://kotaku.com/20-excellent-mario-maker-courses-you-should-play-1731659732)
(36A3-0000-0038-EC1B)

It's loosely inspired by the movie The Cube, and features nine 1-screen rooms arranged in a 3x3 square with different traps inside.
I wanted to make a puzzley level with small, self-contained rooms, and experiment with backtracking and permanent changes to the environment. Which proved itself to be quite the challenge.
Not all rooms are mandatory to complete, some lead to the three 1up mushrooms hidden around, and one features an optional puzzle whose completion can make your life a bit easier later on.
Don't Trust The Coins!
(453F-0000-004C-10A9)

For 30 years, we've relied on coins to guide us and tell us the way. What happens when they revolt? What happens if they try to kill us?
A SMB3 styled castle level with (once again) three hidden 1up mushrooms, and a twist: if you see coins, be aware. They may be trying to lure you.

MrBadger

3cd8a33a.png

That stage was on Game Grumps and made by Ross so there's your answer

TheFatMan

So I've made a few levels. Figured I'd post them up on here with a quick description. I appreciate anyone that plays them!

It's a Ship!
ID: DED8-0000-003E-AF2A
Description - A short ship level using the New Super Mario U format. A few secrets sprinkled in for fun and not overly difficult. Some fun areas. My most successful level as far as Stars are concerned.

Propellers!!
ID: 9C98-0000-003F-0A4B
Description - An underwater Super Mario 3 level. Very short, but contains some tricky spots to get past. About a 33% clear rate at this time. There are secrets hidden in the level to make some of the areas much easier.

Classic Mario
ID: 12DF-0000-004C-AD0B
Description - My first attempt at creating a Super Mario 3 level that would have fit right in to the original game. No crazy mechanics or intense difficulty. This is my favorite level I've built personally. So far it hasn't had many plays.

Pipe Jump 2
ID: 18FF-0000-003D-BE65
Description - One of my earlier levels. Uses the Super Mario World tile set. Lots of timed jumping and dodging piranha plants! I didn't think this level would be that hard, but right now it has about a 15% clear rate, so it appears I was wrong on that one. One of my only levels to get more than 1 star.

Again, I appreciate any playthroughs and feedback. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or recommendations as well. Thanks GAF!

Schlomo

Thanks for playing. At that part when you get the giant shoe go back to where the pipe where the one way block is and do a ground pound with the shoe which you can do with the giant shoe and it will break the blocks to that area.

I had no idea you could do that with the giant shoe. Tried it again and finished your stage. It's a shame this only has so few plays and stars. Give it a go, everyone!

KeRaSh

Really struggling to come up with something interesting for my new level. It doesn't help that I reached the block limit right when things started to flow... Might have to scrap half of it and just start at the point where I got inspired.
All this work for 10-20 stars within a week or two, right?

3cd8a33a.png

Hey man, as long as you enjoy makinh them and people find them quality who cares? The no effort pieces of shit do not become good just because they have stars. They still remain no effort pieces of shit. We'll play each othetrs levels. This game is a dream come true. I've playef so much quality on gaf.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Top Bottom