• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

ohNOitsRO

So I really like the level. The execution is great.

But this game REALLY NEEDS CHECKPOINTS. I made it pretty far and died. Went through again and died early on. Few more tries and I'm good for now. Maybe I'm just the epitome of impatient, but those tries were enough to sway me from playing again atm.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying there's an issue with your level. The length seems well-paced, you pull off the concept well, there's nothing unfair. I'll definitely try it again later on. But an optional halfway marker would make everything in this game so, so much better.

I totally get you about the checkpoints dude, I agree and I'm glad you at least tried it out :)

Just re-pimping my first level, Five Walls

ID: 6AE0-0000-0023-B681

My%20Video%20Screen%20Shot%2092015%202.40%20PM.png

It's relatively short and easy for Mario veterans, but people have told me it's pretty enjoyable.

Five%20Walls.gif

Edit: I'm also about to start working on my first underwater level, but seeing how a lot of people hate them I'm not even sure it's worth it.

RowdyReverb

Ok, herr's my latest course, this time the image actually shows the ID code lol

WVW69iaLYuMWhoFOTH

Pretty tough, but I like the theming so I kept with it. I couldn't beat the boss, unfortunately. The second thwomp got me EVERY TIME. Fun level though.

It's relatively short and easy for Mario veterans, but people have told me it's pretty enjoyable.

Five%20Walls.gif

God damn music blocks are the bane of my existence. I can never get the timing right for the springs or music blocks in SMB1. Finally beat it though, and it was satisfying.

Took me some time but here we go...

- Super Mario Ice Climber -

ID: CA6F-0000-005B-3978

12027748_10153217642661884_1371651730078636847_n.jpg

Climb it until the very end! :D!
It's really fun, but it's a bit long for its difficulty. I made it as far as the thwomps. It escalated pretty quickly after the Laikatu death room.

Pretty tough, but I like the theming so I kept with it. I couldn't beat the boss, unfortunately. The second thwomp got me EVERY TIME. Fun level though.

God damn music blocks are the bane of my existence. I can never get the timing right for the springs or music blocks in SMB1. Finally beat it though, and it was satisfying.
Thanks for trying it! :D if you post yours I'll give it a try later tonight for sure.

rawk

Last week I posted a Metal Gear Solid tribute level called Mario Gear Solid, and I got me a ton of cool comments and stars. Unfortunately, it also had a few game-ending design problems that would prevent progression if random events didn't go your way.

I tweaked the level, hopefully fixing the issues, and re-uploaded here:

Mario Gear Solid (fixed version)

2F34-0000-0059-6223

If anyone here would care to try out the new version and let me know if you get stuck, that would be great!

Here's a video of someone playing the level in its original form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=cSoBSzDZ0CQ

ChrisD

Ok, herr's my latest course, this time the image actually shows the ID code lol

WVW69iaLYuMWhoFOTH

Enjoyed this one (managed a victory on the second run; thanks, Megaman experience)!

I love that you had Fire Mario for the bit where shooting was warranted, but ensured you were Megaman for most of the course.

I am curious, what was with the Star in the block you can only hit by making that long jump? General collectible?

If I made any changes it would probably just be the addition of another Fire Mario section to keep up the Megaman vibes with the run-n-gun.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Am I playing this game wrong? I've been playing highly starred or up and coming levels and so far most of them have been so boring to play. Basically, this game for me has been Super Mario: Let 12-Year-Olds Design The Levels.

Jobbs

Banned
Basically, this game for me has been Super Mario: Let 12-Year-Olds Design The Levels.

That's pretty much an accurate assessment if you play the 100 mario thing. In my experience you get several "push nothing" levels which are pointless after the slight novelty the first time you encounter one, several garbage levels, and maybe one good one.

If you want to play good levels you have to just find them directly from people, which is a shame, because it's not really convenient. The game undoubtedly needs better curation.

Platy

Last week I posted a Metal Gear Solid tribute level called Mario Gear Solid, and I got me a ton of cool comments and stars. Unfortunately, it also had a few game-ending design problems that would prevent progression if random events didn't go your way.

2F34-0000-0059-6223

If anyone here would care to try out the new version and let me know if you get stuck, that would be great!

Sad that it is a smb3 level because of holding items and boxes. a "? block" costume would be awesome

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Am I playing this game wrong? I've been playing highly starred or up and coming levels and so far most of them have been so boring to play. Basically, this game for me has been Super Mario: Let 12-Year-Olds Design The Levels.

It's become my most played Wii U game in a week, but nearly all the value I'm extracting is from making levels, not playing them... As anyone sensible would have surmised, nearly everything user-created is crap. But there are some really good levels being posted in this thread. I'd check those out before getting too disappointed.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
That's pretty much an accurate assessment if you play the 100 mario thing. In my experience you get several "push nothing" levels which are pointless after the slight novelty the first time you encounter one, several garbage levels, and maybe one good one.

If you want to play good levels you have to just find them directly from people, which is a shame, because it's not really convenient. The game undoubtedly needs better curation.

god damn it. this is my fault. I should have seen a game dependent on sharing content online from Nintendo and a billion red flags should have popped up.

It's become my most played Wii U game in a week, but nearly all the value I'm extracting is from making levels, not playing them... As anyone sensible would have surmised, nearly everything user-created is crap. But there are some really good levels being posted in this thread. I'd check those out before getting too disappointed.

I'm gonna do that

tribal24

Banned
So i tried to recreate something from Megaman X1 and i recreated a version of Storm's Eagle level. Did the best i can with the tools, please let me know how it came out.

Storm Eagle X1:

730D-0000-005B-5D23

Gsnap

Finished another course. This one is very much unlike my other courses. It's pretty tough. Most people here should be able to handle it as long as you stay on the main, lower path. I try to introduce each new concept in a relatively safe environment, since some ideas here are a little unconventional. So I do feel it's well enough designed even though it's tough.

I did, however, add an upper section that acts as a shortcut, but this section is very difficult. Like, Kaizo-style difficult. I even added a comment at the very beginning of the level discouraging people from going on the upper path unless they're experts. It's definitely possible to get through it. I managed to get through it once. But you should only tackle the top path if you want a real challenge. It was fun experimenting with that level of challenge, and honestly I'd like to make at least one stage where such difficulty was in the main path, but at the same time it's almost more enjoyable making stages that are fun and easy.

Expect a little of both from me in the future.

So anyway, here it is. Mushroom Top Track Hop. 4833-0000-005B-4A12

Any and all feedback is welcome, especially constructive criticism, but remember, it is supposed to be difficult.

My other courses:
9391-0000-0046-3111
D176-0000-0048-CA3C
3F1E-0000-0054-7487

I'll be spending some time tomorrow playing other people's levels, so anybody who wants feedback on a level or two, send them to me in a PM so I can easily find them (though I think the judging for the contest is starting then, so I will probably spend a lot of time playing those, but PM me anyway and I'll get back to you as soon as I can).

Neki

Was wondering if anyone could give feedback my maps:
Run with the stars! C648-0000-0055-75DC
It's a star run map!
Scorch Trials: 8E93-0000-005B-3A27
Fire platforming!

Any criticism is welcome

galvatron

New page self quote!

Gravity Manor
ID:C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

Really liking the stage. My only criticism is that the windows in the first part throw off the illusion and the gimmick doesn't become unmissable to a player until the second section. I was planning on doing a gravity flip thing myself and I think using pipes exclusively instead of doors and the underground Mario 3 theme works best for that.

Also, I found an area where I can explode some bombs and get outside of your level layout. You can fly while crouching and swat the bombs in the right-side-up section with your tail if you jump while in the tiny opening That activated the bombs which explode the side wall and lets you go between sections.

Still, a fun level well worth a star!

Neki

80F7-0000-005A-83FF
"The Y Button"

I made a pretty straight SMB1 platformer which requires the player to effectively run (e.g. running over gaps). I'm still waiting on my additional tools to arrive, but this stuff is enough for now. What do you think of the difficulty?

I liked the map, concept was simple but effective. I died because I was reckless but effective use of y was required. Only part I didn't like was the first ? block because I thought I could just run over it but you actually needed a short hop, but that is my fault.

My%20Video%20Screen%20Shot%2092015%202.40%20PM.png

Five%20Walls.gif

Edit: I'm also about to start working on my first underwater level, but seeing how a lot of people hate them I'm not even sure it's worth it.

I liked it, only took two tries, music blocks are dreadful though Lol.

Nobody has played my newest level yet, not even random people that managed to encounter it on 100 Mario. Usually I have about two plays by now.

EDIT: PangaeaPanga's level on his Twitch stream looks insane.

Just played your recent level and beat it in one try, the difficulty was good, those falling blue shells were annoying lol. I really don't like the ? Block as a power up, it kinda blocks a lot of real estate. The toughest part was the end, all those wrenches almost got me. Might be too hard for the average person lol.

KeRaSh

A bit on the short side, would love more of the stuff.

Yeah, I was getting tired last night and I didn't want to push the format until it got boring.

On a slightly related note: For some reason I'm really in love with creating pyramids in SMB3. Two out of three SMB3 levels feature short pyramid sections and I already have an idea for a third one...

urfe

Reposting in hopes of getting some feedback. It's kind of a my first p-switch kind of stage, but there are optional secrets to find

Will try now and edit this post with my thoughts.

I liked it. I liked the secrets. I think I finished it a secret way as it was with a leaf and to a pipe up high, but there were arrows pointing me the way so it was definitely planned.

Sorry, as an amateur myself I'm not sure regarding constructive criticism.

Pikma

Banned
Enjoyed this one (managed a victory on the second run; thanks, Megaman experience)!

I love that you had Fire Mario for the bit where shooting was warranted, but ensured you were Megaman for most of the course.

I am curious, what was with the Star in the block you can only hit by making that long jump? General collectible?

If I made any changes it would probably just be the addition of another Fire Mario section to keep up the Megaman vibes with the run-n-gun.
Well, if you manage to get it you have just enough time to get rid of the boss, but I'm fully aware a jump like that is not worth it so it's just a tease :p because there's another one, way easier to get, hidden in the same screen, you just have to look for it.

Also, played your level, I didn't find anything wrong with it, it was fun and varied, the only thing I'd change is the length, other than that it's pretty good!

Neki

Reposting in hopes of getting some feedback. It's kind of a my first p-switch kind of stage, but there are optional secrets to find

Short nice level. I didn't really find any reason to stray off the beaten path though, you might need to make it more enticing or make the second path more accessible, because the route most taken is always left to right, which is what I did.

SirShandy

2F34-0000-0059-6223

I enjoyed the level quite a bit. But the first time I tried it I accidently ignited the big bomb-omb with a POW block and was unable to finish the level. Just so you know.

Sorry, I just got back from eating. I'll get to your levels now, Neki.

I really don't like the ? Block as a power up, it kinda blocks a lot of real estate.
Hmm, it took me a moment to realize what you mean. I have no control over whether you get the ? block costume from the mystery mushroom. I guess this gives me a reason to use Super Mushrooms over the Mystery Mushroom in future levels.

Hmm, it took me a moment to realize what you mean. I have no control over whether you get the ? block costume from the mystery mushroom. I guess this gives me a reason to use Super Mushrooms over the Mystery Mushroom in future levels.

If you place down a Mystery Mushroom and then tap it, you can pick which Costume it will give out.

Was wondering if anyone could give feedback my maps:
Run with the stars! C648-0000-0055-75DC
It's a star run map!
Ooh, this had actual level design. The use of the P Switch was pretty cool.

Scorch Trials: 8E93-0000-005B-3A27
Fire platforming!
The coin placement at the beginning really messes with my brain, it is teaching me the shape of the level which immediately becomes very confusing with the fire switches places. Since you had the timer on 500 I simply waited each one out instead of jumping over them.

Other than that I was able to handle the rest of the level just fine. Some parts got i-framed through, of course.

If you place down a Mystery Mushroom and then tap it, you can pick which Costume it will give out.
Oh, okay.

jholmes

It took me roughly a week to get everything in place, but my EarthBound stage is finally complete!

Eight Melodies (Smiles & Tears): AEF5-0000-0057-14EB
WVW69iaDaZ0T_24x2r

I don't know if you meant for this to be some never-ending gauntlet. If you did, congrats. It feels like playing EarthBound all in one sitting. There's a ton of effort put into this and so many clever ways of showing off the plot of the game, but the jump-heavy platforming is super hard and most people won't come close to finishing this. I did, of course, but I only did by abusing every shortcut you built in and possibly some you didn't -- I beat it slipping through some Jugem Clouds against the flagpole while riding the Koopa's lakitu cloud.

EarthBound junkies looking for a Champion's Road-style test should give this the old college try.

My latest course:

Color-Coded Cavern (EFA7-0000-0059-B58E)

C96AbcT.jpg

Not just red and green, but also blue! Really neat visual level, with some clever enemy placement. Not sure how you're supposed to kill the giant Magikoopa at the stage, but uhh he died anyway, so I won?

If you want to see how pretty this game can look, this is definitely worth taking for a spin.

Finished another course. This one is very much unlike my other courses. It's pretty tough.

So anyway, here it is. Mushroom Top Track Hop. 4833-0000-005B-4A12

Bottom half isn't super hard, except maybe the last couple jumps, which are a bitch. Tried the top half but after the second set of spinies I didn't know what to do so I gave up. One problem though: the spinies leading up to the top half should be easily dodgeable if they're supposed to be avoidable! The player is of course going to go up on them or at least get hit by them the way they're set up. That aside, real good little rail lift level here. I enjoyed it!

RagnarokX

Not just red and green, but also blue! Really neat visual level, with some clever enemy placement. Not sure how you're supposed to kill the giant Magikoopa at the stage, but uhh he died anyway, so I won?

If you want to see how pretty this game can look, this is definitely worth taking for a spin.
You kill the giant magikoopa by standing in front of the bill blaster so that it shoots a buzzy beetle helmet at him.

Glad you enjoyed it :D

Neki

Ooh, this had actual level design. The use of the P Switch was pretty cool.

The coin placement at the beginning really messes with my brain, it is teaching me the shape of the level which immediately becomes very confusing with the fire switches places. Since you had the timer on 500 I simply waited each one out instead of jumping over them.

Other than that I was able to handle the rest of the level just fine. Some parts got i-framed through, of course.

Oh, okay.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I added the coins to show it was possible to jump over them if you wanted to speed the process. My hazard elements are still pretty static though, I really to work on creating hazards that make you think about how to get past it.

2F34-0000-0059-6223

Now this is my speed.

None of this "Metroid" shit.

Gsnap

Bottom half isn't super hard, except maybe the last couple jumps, which are a bitch. Tried the top half but after the second set of spinies I didn't know what to do so I gave up. One problem though: the spinies leading up to the top half should be easily dodgeable if they're supposed to be avoidable! The player is of course going to go up on them or at least get hit by them the way they're set up. That aside, real good little rail lift level here. I enjoyed it!

Unfortunately, due to the lack of verticality in levels, they had to be that close. As much as I moved things around to try and get them in a different position, that was the one that worked best.

I get what you're saying though, since it's not exactly how I wanted the layout of that section to be. I wouldn't be surprised if people died there on their first run through the level. However, I did attempt to mitigate the problem. The first spiny is placed so that you can just duck under it. There's only one piranha plant shooting fire balls, because without it ducking under the spiny would be too easy, but it can be taken out by getting the koopa shell in the earlier screen, leaving you with no obstacles while on that blue platform other than the one spiny that you just have to duck under. And if you don't kill the piranha plant, ducking under the spiny while dodging fireballs isn't overly hard, especially since I also gave a mushroom right before to tank one hit, and a mushroom right after to refresh the player. And if the player does decide to go up the spinies to the top path, and if they get stuck, falling from where the coins are should land them on a safe platform every time. Hopefully that's all enough to make that section not too bad.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll just remove the piranha plant completely and have that section just be a simple introduction to blue moving platforms with a spiny you have to duck under. Not sure. Glad you liked the level overall though!

Masked Man

I said wow
I don't know if you meant for this to be some never-ending gauntlet. If you did, congrats. It feels like playing EarthBound all in one sitting. There's a ton of effort put into this and so many clever ways of showing off the plot of the game, but the jump-heavy platforming is super hard and most people won't come close to finishing this. I did, of course, but I only did by abusing every shortcut you built in and possibly some you didn't -- I beat it slipping through some Jugem Clouds against the flagpole while riding the Koopa's lakitu cloud.

EarthBound junkies looking for a Champion's Road-style test should give this the old college try.

Well, yes and no. Ideally, there would be checkpoints after collecting each melody (much like the original game), but until they give us the option via DLC (please?), the gauntlet style is the only way to cram it all in. Thanks for persevering, though—glad you enjoyed the EB love! :D

Hi Everyone

Presenting a new level from me Manic Plumber ZX

Course ID: 3800-0000-0057-EB4F
Mario has inherited a mine from his uncle Shigeru. Help Mario explore the mine and avoid the hazards. Can you collect all of the treasure and escape with your life?

The level is a homage to the 8-bit 80's UK single screen platform game, Manic Miner.

I've tried to recreate the feeling of a 80s single screen per level game.

I'd say the difficulty is medium,

Would appreciate some feedback! Will gladly give mine on your levels (there are so damn many great levels on here!)

AVNSvNJl.jpg

Quoting one last time before I give up and start something new. Not a traditional Mario game but a tribute to single screen platformers

rawk

Quoting one last time before I give up and start something new. Not a traditional Mario game but a tribute to single screen platformers

I'm giving it a shot right now. It's tough! I'll probably try again tomorrow, as it's past 3AM here now. Seems pretty fun, though!

The_Dude

Finished my second level. It's a reasonably difficult auto scrolling level.

Bullets, Belts, Blades N Bowser
A7C3 0000 0056 68AB

And my first level, if anyone might like to give me some feedback on this. Surprised it's only around 12% completion, I thought it wasn't too hard.

Bowser's Fall Retreat
B5CF 0000 0045 0B86

Time to play some GAF levels!

galvatron

Will try now and edit this post with my thoughts.

I liked it. I liked the secrets. I think I finished it a secret way as it was with a leaf and to a pipe up high, but there were arrows pointing me the way so it was definitely planned.

Sorry, as an amateur myself I'm not sure regarding constructive criticism.

No problem. Thanks for playing it! I was going for a 1-1 vibe where repeated play (or in this case, one play from random people) would give a different experience. That's definitely the secret way and it leads to some other secrets which are much harder to get to without the leaf.

Short nice level. I didn't really find any reason to stray off the beaten path though, you might need to make it more enticing or make the second path more accessible, because the route most taken is always left to right, which is what I did.

I'm fine with people just cruising on through (with the penalty of having to deal with the chain chomps), but I toned down the secret hints a bit since I was afraid it would seem like a requirement, which might scare some folks off as not everyone will get the flight right. Maybe I went too far...I was definitely considering hiding some things at the start location since those coins look awfully like they should be platforms leading somewhere.

Thanks for playing!

Single screen? Another map type I've been meaning to try. I'll give it a go.

Top Bottom