• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

Canova

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kt00M8Ycgo&feature=sub

It looks awesome =/

sadface because I don't own a 360

wait?!? what's all the fuss about? not too impressed by this video.

Looks like she was just floating in the air, weightless, while doing the aerial combo. Also her attacks lack power. There's no way this games matches DMC3 as far as combo....I could change my opinion after playing the game, but I really don't get all the 'GOTY' screams here

USD

MechaX said:
I forgot about God Hand's dodge canceling, but my main point is that most action games do not incorporate them through intentional means like Bayonetta and God Hand does. I can't say I remember much about how God of War does things, but let's look at NG and DMC. In Ninja Gaiden, you can't even cancel combos to the extent that you can in Bayonetta in any of its games. The best you can do is in Ninja Gaiden Black where you can roll-cancel some moves (Mostly Vigoorian Flail moves), but you can never really follow them up into a whole new combo or any attack at all.

The only DMC games that are really cancel heavy are DMC3 and to a lesser extent DMC4, which is definitely not intentional as it is a physics glitch (ie, jumping off of a tiny bit of an enemy's hitbox). In DMC4's case, you can Snatch and Jump Cancel with Nero, but his combos are rather limited to begin with. In Dante's case, enemies die too quickly no matter what difficulty you're on for any canceling stream to be effective. Additionally, the Jump Cancel bread-and-butter move (Killer Bee) is horribly nerfed in DMC4.
The abuses of jump canceling may not be intentional, but the ability to jump cancel itself is most certainly intentional. And DMC uses a lot more canceling than just that.

Ninja Gaiden is a totally different beast from most other action games in the limited canceling and the emphasis on recovery times. It's much closer to pure 3D fighting game philosophy (*cough* DOA *cough*) than all the other action games.

canova said:

Looks like she was just floating in the air, weightless, while doing the aerial combo. Also her attacks lack power. There's no way this games matches DMC3 as far as combo... I could change my opinion after playing the game,

...but I really don't get all the 'GOTY' screams here

in order to get, one must play

i guess you havent seen the gametrailers combo vids

Mithos said:
Everyone that experience screen tearing is on plasma/lcd right?
I am on a CRT and I can't see any screen tearing, or its so fast I don't notice.

Edit:
PS3 version ofc. running 720p over HDMI on Philips 32PW9551.
I'm gaming the ps3 version on a crt as well, and it is certainly visible. Its not out of control though(framerate is worse than the tearing), but its there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
canova said:

Looks like she was just floating in the air, weightless, while doing the aerial combo. Also her attacks lack power. There's no way this games matches DMC3 as far as combo....I could change my opinion after playing the game, but I really don't get all the 'GOTY' screams here

Er...did you even play the demo?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
canova said:

Your post is silly. Instead, let's talk about this non sequitur funny image.

1254898675466e6d79.gif

PSGames

Seriously download both if you must. The additional stage in the 360 version is all of 15 seconds long. Looks cool but nothing mind blowing about it. The PS3 gives you two additional boss fights. The one with the red witch lady is seriously kick ass. There was some screen tearing but nothing that takes anything away from the game. Overall PS3 demo >>> 360 demo.

abstract alien said:
You mean from a content/gaming standpoint?

Pretty much this.

Llyranor

USD said:
Your combo string doesn't have to break when you dodge. If you hold an attack button when you evading, you "hold" the combo string.

Take the Chun-Li kick combo:

PPPPK

PPPP(evade, up to four times)K

You'll do the exact same combo, as long as you are holding the punch button when you press the evade button and proper string your evades together. To do delayed inputs after an evade, wait until she's the recovery of her evade (she does a little hop after the evade animation, if you don't input anything), and then press the attack button you want to use.

Pretty sweet.
Wait, I just realized the implications of this. That's AWESOME. Pulling off combos while dodging attacks AND maintaining your offensive with your guns as you're holding the buttons. Wow.

imtehman

Banned
PSGames said:
Seriously download both if you must. The additional stage in the 360 version is all of 15 seconds long. Looks cool but nothing mind blowing about it. The PS3 gives you two additional boss fights. The one with the red witch lady is seriously kick ass. There was some screen tearing but nothing that takes anything away from the game. Overall PS3 demo >>> 360 demo.

Pretty much this.

what does that even mean, need to elaborate.

FrankT

PSGames said:

Content wise yea I suppose when I get the time I'll check that out. Technical wise I don't have to make that judgment it's already been made here time and time again.

Llyranor

Monocle said:
- Nearly every move can be jump canceled as in DMC, but Bayonetta does one better: in many cases, the jump comes out without canceling the attack. Serious advanced applications here, but to state it simply, the ability to evade and attack simultaneously means that your offensive momentum doesn't have to stop for anything. Bayonetta's combat system is unparalleled in its fluidity.
Can someone explain what this means? I can jump-cancel combos, and evade-cancel combos and retain those by holding attacks, but how do you jump-cancel 'without cancelling the attack'?

Nizz

Totobeni said:
got the demo from that megaupload link.

I...I...I didn't like it , it's more of DMC concept , but then again I didn't like DMC too , nothing new in it imo over DMC , game did nothing for me , uh..GAF hype failed me again , uh never again GAF.

just please don't kill me , it's Bayonetta demo Impressions thread , and I am one cute SEGA fan ( sane one too ..I guess ) , thing is , the only Japaneses fast action games I liked were Ninja Gaiden ( all of them ) and SEGA's Shinobi ( and Kunoichi/nightshade ) , so maybe I just don't like this Kamiya style of gameplay.

it's sad for me because i was really hungry for some Bayonetta butt , it's nice butt indeed , but the demo killed my hype completely.

but will buy game to support SEGA , I even bought Golden Axe: Beast Rider and
Viking to support them , so why not Bayonetta.

sad sad day for me :(
I'm sorry, just that I read this and was like "whaaa.."

Disappointing about the PS3 impressions. Dammit, I hope Sega tune the performance a bit for the US release.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Totobeni said:
but will buy game to support SEGA , I even bought Golden Axe: Beast Rider and Viking to support them , so why not Bayonetta.

sad sad day for me :(
OldSnakeSalute.jpg

That'll do, Totobeni.

PSGames said:

Pretty much this.
Not sure why people aren't understanding you. Each demo has different content in them, and you enjoyed one set of content over another. Im not understanding whats so crazy about that.

Llyranor said:
Can someone explain what this means? I can jump-cancel combos, and evade-cancel combos and retain those by holding attacks, but how do you jump-cancel 'without cancelling the attack'?
I think he is trying to imply that your attack is finished while canceling into a jump(or evade). Not really a true cancel, but maybe that's what he is trying to get at.

Monocle

(Can anyone tell me how to use the
Code:
 tags to make a scrollable block of text?  This post is going to take up a lot of space.[/b])

Hey, thanks for reposting my impressions in the OP, K' Dash.  Here's some more stuff for everyone.

[U][b]Move List[/b][/U] (From the loading screen lists and my own experimentation.)

[B]Key[/B]

P = punch
K = kick
. =delay
< = press direction away from opponent
> = press direction toward opponent
(lock) = while locked on
(air) = while in the air
(ground) = while standing on the ground
360 = rotate the left analog stick in a full circle
[ ] = hold the buttons or directions that appear in these brackets
+ = press the buttons or directions on both sides of this sign at the same time
... = tap the preceding button rapidly

[B]Scarborough Fair[/B]

PKP
P.P
P.K
PPKP
PPKKK
PPKK.P
PPKK.K
PPK.K
PP.P
PP.K
PPPKKK
PPPKP
PPPKK.P
PPP.P
PPP.K
PPPPK
PPPPP
PPPPPK
PPPP.P
KKK
KK.P
K.P
360P
(lock) <P
(lock) <K
(air) PPKP
(air) PPPKP
(air) PPPKKK
(air) PPP.K
(air) PPPPK
(air) PPPPP
(air) PPPPPK
(air) K
(air) 360P
(air) 360K
(air) (lock) <+P
(air) (lock) <+K
>>+P
(air) >>+P -or- (air) (lock)>+P
>>+K -or- (lock) >+K

[B]Scarborough Fair Unlisted Moves[/B]

(lock)+any direction (Alternate dodge input.)
(after PPPKK, on grounded enemy) PPP... (Repeatedly slap grounded enemy.)
(on grounded enemy] KKK... (Repeatedly stomp grounded enemy.)
(after (lock) <+P) PPP... (Hold enemy by foots and repeatedly slam it on the ground.)

[B]Katana + Shotguns[/B]

PKP
P.P
P.K
PPKP
PPKKK
PPKK.P
PPKK.K
PPK.K
PP.PPP
PP.PP.P
PP.P.P
PP.K
PPPKKK
PPPKP
PPPKK.P
PPP.P
PPP.K
PPPPK
PPPPP
PPPPPK
PPPP.P
KKK
KK.P
K.P
360P
(lock) <+P
(lock) <+K
(air) PPKP
(air) PP.PPP
(air) PPPKP
(air) PPPKKK
(air) PPP.P
(air) PPP.K
(air) PPPPK
(air) PPPPP
(air) PPPPPK
(air) K
(air) 360P
(air) 360K
(air) (lock) <+P
(air) (lock) <+K
>>+P
(air) >>+P -or- (air) (lock) >+P
>>+K -or- (lock)>+K

[B]Katana + Shotguns Unlisted Moves[/B]

(lock)+any direction (Alternate dodge input.)
stand still, hold (lock) until first or second spark, P (This is impossibly cool, everyone try it now!)
(air) PPK(ground)KK
(air) PPK(ground)K.K
(air) [P] (This is the infinitely chargeable aerial sword slash.)

[B]Torture Attacks[/B]

(in front of enemy) Y+B (Iron maiden.)
(behind enemy) Y+B (Guillotine.)
(above enemy) Y+B (Chain.)
(on downed enemy) Y+B (Gravestone.)

[U][b]Text[/b][/U] (360 version)

[B]Selecting Difficulty[/B]

Very Easy Automatic: This option is not available in this demo.
Easy Automatic: A mode aimed at beginners, where simply pressing Y will allow you to jump into the heat of battle and execute a variety of techniques.
Normal: Execute complete control over Bayonetta's techniques in a mode for those ready to enter truly climactic battles!

[B]Tutorial Screen[/B]

Regular Controls

Left Stick = Move
Right Stick = Move Camera—Press RS to reset camera.
D-Pad = Use Items—Hold a directional pad (sic) to use.
X = Action
Y = Punch
B = Kick
A = Jump
Left Bumper = Taunt
Left Trigger = Change Weapon
Right Bumper = Lock-On
Right Trigger = Evade
Start = Pause Menu
Back = Help

Torture Attacks

Attack enemies to fill your Magic Gauge! If you take damage your Magic Gauge will decrease! Close in on enemies and finish them off with deadly Torture Attacks!

[B][u]Tutorial[/u][/B]

Punch: For a quick punch press Y.
Kick: For a powerful kick press B.
Combo: Combine Y and B to unleash countless combos!
Evade: Evade any situation by using the RT to dodge!
Witch Time: Dodge at the last possible instant to activate Witch Time! (Enemies will appear to move in slow-motion for a set period of time.)
Shoot: Shoot your way out of a combo by holding Y or B!
Bullet Climax: Rotate the LS and press Y or B to fire all around! (Step 1: Activate Bullet Climax! Step 2: Once activated, aim and fire at will!)

[U][B]More Observations and Things[/B][/U] (Some of this info has already been mentioned.  I'm including it because the purpose of this post is to collate a bunch of good stuff for easy reference.)

- Tap a direction on the d-pad to see which items you have.  Hold a direction to use the corresponding item. (I listed this in the controls section, but lots of people seem to miss this feature so I want to point it out here)

- On the mission complete screen, you may notice a missing medal.  To find the hidden verse that awards it, [spoiler]return to the area where you start the city level after you've cleared the courtyard battle. A pack of enemies will spawn in the first room.[/spoiler]

- One thing that's guaranteed to annoy me in a game is a laggy menu. Ninja Gaiden is a notable offender here.  In contrast, Bayonetta's menus, much like its in-game controls, respond crisply to any input.  Kamiya's games have all had great menus, and Bayonetta is no exception.

- All breakable objects and items respawn if you leave an area. This includes the treasure chest on the right side of the courtyard in the city.  You can exploit this to collect extra halos and magic-restoring items.

- Magic-restoring items drop much more frequently when Bayonetta is damaged.  I destroyed a group of pots with about 1/10 of a health bar and got 5 purple butterflies.

- Bayonetta can target multiple enemies with her guns during combo extensions (just hold an attack button mid-combo). This is ridiculously effective with the second weapon set when she's standing in the middle of an enemy group.  Her shotguns will slaughter everything.

- Enemy-dropped weapons won't weaken if used on breakable objects. (Exceptions: the trumpet, the halberd's spinning pole move.)

- Enemy jump is in, and it works just like in Devil May Cry, except the timing is far easier. (For those who don't know how to perform it: while airborne and next to or above an enemy, press jump.)

More later.

[QUOTE=Llyranor]Can someone explain what this means? I can jump-cancel combos, and evade-cancel combos and retain those by holding attacks, but how do you jump-cancel 'without cancelling the attack'?[/QUOTE]
Try jump canceling a stinger ((lock) >+Y). If you time the jump right, its momentum will carry Bayonetta upward as she attacks.

Monocle said:
- Enemy jump is in, and it works just like in Devil May Cry, except the timing is far easier. (For those who don't know how to perform it: while airborne and next to or above an enemy, press jump.)

My favorite part of the demo.

Nunalho

Neo Member
I actually didnt liked the demo. I think it looks worse than DMC, altough it has some good artwork, and i didnt find its gameplay as smooth as DMC/GOW.

Finally got around to watching 360 footage.

Seems like there is a good deal less screen-tearing. Looking generally nicer and smoother (fluidity wise).

Hope the NA version puts these next few months to good use.

yella

Played this earlier this evening ( PS3 version), and I gotta say it was pretty awesome. The demo was great fun (I spent almost half an hour just getting moves down in the tutorial), and played the actual game twice in a row, and didn't even know you could use the sword! I don't know a lick of Japanese, so sue me.:D

I do think that DMC 4 looks better, but then again, the screen is more zoomed out in this game. At close range (when she does the free range shooting), it looks around the same. I can;t wait to sink my teeth into it some more. I was gonna ask for someone to translate, but I see someone already did that.

What a great action game. I love the style and flow of the game. I don't need a game to be NG punishing to enjoy it. I thought the Normal difficulty was great in the demo.

I played both version. The PS3 demo has more proper combat as the falling tower section of the 360 demo is rather messy. Looks cool but not really fun to play.

Technically, it's not even close. The 360 version is by far the one to have. Can't wait for this. Jan is it?

Monocle

Llyranor said:
Does it work for other attacks?
Most lunging attacks, and things that execute after a brief delay like the overhead crescent kick in Scarborough Fair's PPK. In some cases the attack comes out in the same place it would if Bayonetta had stayed on the ground.

canova said:

It's very difficult to judge Bayonetta without having tried it yourself because its defining quality is the almost unnatural responsiveness of the controls. Bayonetta is as fast as thought, and far more fluid than any other action game I've tried. DMC3 feels downright sluggish in comparison, and until now I considered it the ultimate in stylish action gameplay.

cryptic

Everything other than the summoning I did in devil may cry 3 and 4:same old stinger, juggle, and leg drop core gameplay. The areas are definitely nothing new for a Kamiya game, either. It play's like it's to dmc 3 what GOW 3 is to 2, that is a game with simple refinements and nothing new or groundbreaking in the action genre. Definitely disappointed but will rent to see if there's any more to it, but to live up to the hype there has to be a lot more.

Monocle

cryptic said:
Everything other than the summoning I did in devil may cry 3 and 4:same old stinger, juggle, and leg drop core gameplay. The areas are definitely nothing new for a Kamiya game, either. It play's like it's to dmc 3 what GOW 3 is to 2, that is a game with simple refinements and nothing new or groundbreaking in the action genre. Definitely disappointed but will rent to see if there's any more to it, but to live up to the hype there has to be a lot more.
You're describing fundamental aspects of the stylish action genre and criticizing Bayonetta for holding to them. You might as well complain about a racing game having accelerate and brake buttons.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
cryptic said:

e4488

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I broke down and grabbed the PS3 demo. As a total newbie at this, I'm still getting used to the lock on camera controls - it kind of makes sense that a game like this wouldn't have an automatic camera, but I feel like I have to keep spamming dodge because I don't know where the next attack will come from.

Either way, this thing looks beautiful and flashy as hell. If nothing else, it's a good antidote to the grim seriousness of God of War. It just comes down to which version I end up buying when the time goes.

Really enjoyed the demo, Xbox 360 version here. Gameplay is entertaining DMC-style as expected but with additional flourishes such as Bayonetta's very...limber...gun shooting style. Graphics in general are competitive, with an apparent engine emphasis on keeping things from hiccuping despite the chaos of, say, that opening stage.

While I expected to dig it (as I do the genre), demo helps make the game a Week 1 pick-up instead of a general "sooner than later" purchase.

Canova

Banned
FlashbladeGAF said:
in order to get, one must play

i guess you havent seen the gametrailers combo vids

Just downloaded and played the game.

my opinion stands

It reminds me more of Otogi games rather than DMC games

K' Dash

Monocle said:
Hey, thanks for reposting my impressions in the OP, K' Dash. Here's some more stuff for everyone.

No problem, they are great impressions, true to the gameplay and everything else, I'll try to put these moves in the OP.

Edit: The OP has been updated with the move list posted by monocle so everyone can see it there, easy to find, I'll be updating as more critical information appear.

Thanks to Monocle for posting that BIG ASS move list.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The more I play it the less impress I become. This is clearly a game about making the player feel good, by pulling off combos and shit, sadly this type of action game doesn't appeal to me.

I still think NGB is the best 3d action brawler I've ever seen, it has everything I want in an action game (wonky camera aside) from a gameplay perspective. I'm not interested in doing stupid combos and to show how big my e-penis is by posting combo vids in youtube. I want an action game that's challenging and the combat should give me a visceral feel other genres obviously can't. It should be fast and brutal. I'm not interested in memorizing shitload of command inputs, if I want to do that I'd just play a fighting game.

I'm sure it'll be fun for people that like combo based action games like DMC, but this is not for me.

Demo is generous with scoring at least on Normal. Gold Award plus an extra 5000 for "No Item". Actually would have used one if I knew I had one...after taking it off pause I had to up my game when I noticed my health was right near zero after just screwing around a bit and not bothering to dodge. No way in hell would I let Bayonetta die in a demo from a genre I'm used to, so most of the stage was done with basically no health...:lol

Love it. Time to play again.

USD

Am I the only one that doesn't use aerial combat much? How I play, I try to whore the Witch Time mechanic for its worth, so want enemies to try to attack me. I usually keep to the ground as much as possible, only going into the air when it's necessary. It's not fancy, but it's effective.

cryptic

Monocle said:
You're describing fundamental aspects of the stylish action genre and criticizing Bayonetta for holding to them. You might as well complain about a racing game having accelerate and brake buttons.

I was told this game was gonna take the genre to the next level, why can't I complain when it play's like the same old shit with a different coat.

Top Bottom