• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution coming to PS4/Vita

Honestly I'm disappointed that more RPGs like SO2 aren't made anymore.

SO2 can be broken in so many ways. You can craft medals that award level-ups, get the 2nd or 3rd best sword in the game very early on, abuse a random encounter when Claude still has his phaser to get a stupid high level, etc.

IIRC there's a rare equip for Chisato that makes it so any enemy that hits her has a chance of getting killed instantly. This works on the ultimate superboss.

Nowadays, even if an RPG has 2000+ square miles of land to explore, actually becoming stronger or getting better stuff is a linear track with not a lot of opportunities for craziness.

Morrowind is the last Western equivalent that I can think of. Sword of White Woe anyone? That guy in the Dren(?) Oren(?) Somethingen plantation who keeps a stock of daedric armor. Not to mention some clever potion mixes can result in the story being completed in 15 minutes.

It has some pixel based design so that will look great on a big screen, in my opinion.

It also has pre-rendered backgrounds on a PSP resolution. So if they don't re-render it at least for the PS4 version, it could look very blurry.

The sprites will probably translate just fine though.

Also, talking about SO2, I'd say that game has my favorite dungeons in the series =X

SO2 and SO1 (with a few exceptions towards the end game) are my favorites in that regard. SO3 wasn't as good imo... I hope they bring it back on 5.

SO2 is one of my favorite RPGs. I hope this comes out this year at least. I know they kinda screwed up the music during the PSP port and the original soundtrack was better, but whatever. I'll still buy it!

poncle

Comes out this month in Japan. Download only.

Gematsu:
Renewed theme song sung by twin duo Rina Eri
Trophy support
Paid gameplay support DLC
Graphics and background music quality increase
Trailer

Edit: Official website

So it's not just a port of the PSP version, there's still hope for useful additional mods, like a fast-forward option.

Anymore info on DLC? Happy to pay for them if they're coming from tri-Ace, sorry!

Edit: just re-read the DLC bit, it sounds like crappy stuff like game currency, level-up, disposable items...

Sitrus

So it's not just a port of the PSP version, there's still hope for useful additional mods, like a fast-forward option.

Anymore info on DLC? Happy to pay for them if they're coming from tri-Ace, sorry!

I just want to be able to use the PS1's sprites instead.

OmegaDL50

As long as it doesn't resemble anything like their FF efforts for mobile :p.

Considering this is mainly a tri-Ace developed title, it will have almost nothing do with the FF side of SE.

Baring that, expectations for this release should be kept in check considering that this is a port of a PSP game which was a port of a PSX game with most of the gameplay and bug issues removed.

There is only so much that can be done with a game with 2D assets based on the PSP's 480 x 272 resolution.

Of course I generally play tri-Ace games for their mechanics, so as long as it's a fairly straight port of the PSP title with some QOL improvements with a resolution bump, this should a decent port.

18-Volt

Wonder if Square considers Till the End of Time HD Remastered if this sells enough. It's not available as PS2 classic either.

Top Bottom