• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution coming to PS4/Vita

Xenus

It's been a loooooong time since I've played SO2, so I'm not positive, but was this the game where I spent hours pickpocketing some dude in a town trying to get a really powerful weapon relatively early in the game?

Probably that and private actions. Private actions everywhere

OmegaDL50

So... if I get it right, it's basically the PSP version which was based on the PSX version ?

Heavily updated. For one thing the PSP remake received all new character portraits, also the voiced dialog was tremendously improved over the awkward voiced work in battles from the PSX original. Also most of the bugs and issues that plagued that PSX version were done away with in the PSP re-release.

While the original artwork from the PSX version might be preferable to some (I like the older artwork better for example), despite this, from a mechanics and gameplay standpoint, the PSP re-release of Star Ocean 2 is the definitive version of the game, until the PS4 and Vita version comes along at least.

Heavily updated. For one thing the PSP remake received all new character portraits, also the voiced dialog was tremendously improved over the awkward voiced work in battles from the PSX original. Also most of the bugs and issues that plagued that PSX version were done away with in the PSP re-release.

While the original artwork from the PSX version might be preferable to some (I like the older artwork better for example), despite this, from a mechanics and gameplay standpoint, the PSP re-release of Star Ocean 2 is the definitive version of the game, until the PS4 and Vita version comes along at least.

What I meant is that they kept the same graphics/base game, right ?

Boss Mog

Not really shocking news since it was known unofficially since last year, at least on the Vita, but it's always nice to have it become official and the PS4 version is a welcome addition. Hope they use a new SCANDAL song for the intro.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't wait to hear this game's mystical soundtrack again

Also, do you prefer to play as Claude or Rena? I usually go with Claude for the more interesting story in part 1, but Rena gets
Dias
as a playable party member and has a more interesting story on
Nede

Yeah, I prefer the character portraits of the original release. The PSP update had cheap-looking artwork, on top of making Rena look like a 12-year old loli doll. Ugh. Fucking otakus.

Goteki_45

ohhhhhh nice, can't wait to play this all over again, best Star Ocean game in the series.

Would of preferred the port from the PSX version, the art was a lot better compared to the PSP version, and I actually liked the original voices on some of the characters.

"10 seconds"

"waste of time"

I can't wait to hear this game's mystical soundtrack again

Also, do you prefer to play as Claude or Rena? I usually go with Claude for the more interesting story in part 1, but Rena gets
Dias
as a playable party member and has a more interesting story on
Nede

I don't even know what playing as Rena changes tbh =X

I should try doing a playthrough as her. Every time I played SO2 I only used Claude.

Not even two days ago I was contemplating finally picking up a PSP copy of Second Evolution. I guess it's fortunate that I decided to hold off on that.

If they're not going to port the first PSP remake too can they at least make it available on the NA PSN store so I can play on Vita?

Unless I play through all four entries I can't play 5. This is just how I am with the majority of series.

SO2 fans is this version the best version? Played SO2 when I was really young back on the PS1 but don't remember anything and it was too complex for me.

Xenus

I don't even know what playing as Rena changes tbh =X

I should try doing a playthrough as her. Every time I played SO2 I only used Claude.

It's mostly
the beginning the forest and when she is kidnapped. Whenever they are seperated... and Dias being a recruitable character

It's mostly
the beginning the forest and when she is kidnapped. Whenever they are seperated... and Dias being a recruitable character

Huh... I didn't miss much then =X

I'll try to play her if I get around to buying this version of the game.

Xenus

Huh... I didn't miss much then =X

I'll try to play her if I get around to buying this version of the game.

Yeah it comes down mostly to if you prefer
Dias or Leon
as they are each unique to the side you choose. Otherwise it's general storytelling differences

If they're not going to port the first PSP remake too can they at least make it available on the NA PSN store so I can play on Vita?

Unless I play through all four entries I can't play 5. This is just how I am with the majority of series.

Man, that gaming OCD is pain in the ass. Though I sort of know how you feel if I don't readily follow a series. I still have my PS2 copy of Star Ocean 3 still sealed and I haven't played my PSP copy of Star Ocean 1 yet. Then there is Star Ocean 4 for the PS360 I haven't gotten yet....ugh....I hate that feeling.

Yeah it comes down mostly to if you prefer
Dias or Leon
as they are each unique to the side you choose. Otherwise it's general storytelling differences

Yeah... I always liked
Leon
better =P

Either way, it should be enough for a replay of the game to be interesting. There are some scenes I can see changing.

Do PAs change as well?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope the platinum is achievable now.

Xenus

Yeah... I always liked
Leon
better =P

Either way, it should be enough for a replay of the game to be interesting. There are some scenes I can see changing.

Do PAs change as well?

I believe some of them do. I can't remember though as it's been about5 years or so since I last played it.

Paltheos

I've wanted to try this for a while now but was always left empty-handed because I own only a Vita and Square-Enix hasn't put tri-ace stuff on PSN.

I can't find any word on a NA release though. Hopefully.

Xenus

Sorry for my ignorance, but SO is like FF? I mean each part different story and new characters?

There is more continuity then that. A character of 2 being the son of a character of 1. Callback references for people who played other games. They are self contained but they make a point of letting you know they share the same universe unlike FF.

OmegaDL50

Sorry for my ignorance, but SO is like FF? I mean each part different story and new characters?

Each game is connected sort of, but it's spread out over hundreds of years. The only exception to this is Star Ocean 1 into Star Ocean 2, which takes place 20 years after the first game.

However there is only few minor references from SO1 to SO2 (A previous party member from SO1 returns as a NPC in SO2) Other than this it's mainly stand alone.

Kind of like how Suikoden 1 and 2 have connections but can be played stand alone as well.

Here is the Star Ocean timeline off the top of my head.

AD 2067: World War III occurs on Earth.

AD 2074: Humanity makes first contact with aliens.

AD 2087 (SD 0): Earth creates the first subspace warp drive. This year is later established as year 0 of the new Space Date calendar.

SD 10: Star Ocean 4 takes place, and will chronicle mankind's first steps out into the vast star ocean.

SD 46: Star Ocean 1 events due to Timegate traveling 300 years into the past.

SD 346: Star Ocean 1 begins and ends in this year.

SD 366: Star Ocean 2

SD 537: Star Ocean 5

SD 772: Star Ocean 3

This is pretty good. The SO4 arrangement though is the GOAT.

Both are Sakuraba arrangements which shows how flexible he can be on the same track.

Lutherian

I'm quite sad that's a port of the PSP version for two reasons :

- They replaced Indalecio's / Gabriel's Earthquake with another one. Why ?
- They removed We Form in Crystals to replace it with an atrocious J-Pop song (the same from the new intro) ! Why ?! We Form in Crystals is even in the game's soundtest !

It's been a loooooong time since I've played SO2, so I'm not positive, but was this the game where I spent hours pickpocketing some dude in a town trying to get a really powerful weapon relatively early in the game?

Yea, the chest that could contain literally any item in the game.

Needlecrash

Also, physical attacks are up to a 3 hit combo instead of the 1 hit from the original.

poncle

Just reminded me why I shouldn't play the port on PS4 or Vita.

Have dreadful memories of reloading hundreds of times to pickpocket every item from characters that appear only once, after long gameplay sessions that wouldn't let you save. And the Mischief of course.

Pickpocketing is an awful gameplay mechanic. We had ActionReplay/GameShark back in the days to workaround those atrocities somehow, but today we are screwed.

I...am conflicted. I think the second game is the best in the series but I never played the PSP version so I'm unclear if it's better or worse than the PSX one...

Spell effects are faster; Item Creation ditches the awkward polygon morphing and is just a flash, making it way, way faster; the world map textures were redone and now the towns actually look like towns; there are character portraits when people talk; there are new animated sequences mixed in with the old FMV (not that many though since the game still retains the "Claude and Rena are the only mandatory characters thing); etc, etc.

The backgrounds, which are an utter delight in concept, looked kind of bad stretched out on the PSP screen though, I hope these ports do something about that.

Top Bottom