• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i would honestly LOVE that zyz.

and abstract, my form has definitely gotten better, but if that particular pizza looks more uniform then it's probably because--as i said--it's baked in a deep dish pan. my other ones i do a la napolita, thin, on a pizza stone. they're two different beasts for two different times, but equally good.

beelzebozo said:

and abstract, my form has definitely gotten better, but if that particular pizza looks more uniform then it's probably because--as i said--it's baked in a deep dish pan. my other ones i do a la napolita, thin, on a pizza stone. they're two different beasts for two different times, but equally good.
Hmmm, I wonder how my first one will go. I bought the stuff a few days ago for the dough, but Ive never made one from scratch. Hopefully it does turn into a catastrophic 2012 style pizza :^/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my first time making pizza dough i added way too much flour, didn't let it raise or rest enough, and hence it was really difficult to shape it. even now, i find it easier to shape and build my pizza on parchment that i put on the pizza piel, then slide the parchment directly onto the pizza stone. it keeps your dough from warping as you try and get it off the piel.

when you start to knead the dough in the mixer with the hook, remember that it will look pretty wet initially, but as it is kneaded and the dough hydrates, it'll start to ball up. if it hasn't after five minutes of kneading, then you do need a bit more flour, but always err on "a little too wet" rather than "a little too dry."

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:

but aren't you east coast?

I are sad. I will never get a chance to try your stuff.

Zyzyxxz said:
but aren't you east coast?

I are sad. I will never get a chance to try your stuff.
Sad indeed. It would be such a huge bag of awesome to try out a few dishes from everyone.

Oh yeah, Beelz, do you have any tips on storing pizza dough for later usage, or is that something I should pretty much avoid doing?

4060546455_050609b831.jpg

Bit of scrambled eggs this morning. Got the idea from a Gordon Ramsay vid, the eggs are served on a big piece of toasted full-clove garlic bread, served with some sauteed vine tomatoes and mushroom caps.

Was a bit iffy on the garlic bread (didn't have anything else handy at the time) but it tasted awesome with the eggs. Tomatoes and mushrooms didn't immediately jump out at me as a combination served like this for breakfast, but it really does work.

(shitty mobile photo, I know)

Schrade

And runny. I've seen that Gordon Ramsey video showing "how to scramble eggs" or whatever. Personally, I didn't find that appetizing at all. I haven't tried it yet but I just can't get over the looks and the eggs being runny... yech.

Brain picking IronGAF: So IronGAF, what experiences have ye to relate in regards to fashioning a good sandwich as the final destination for a freshly contructed full-on foot long bake of garlic bread? As a side dish and with soup, the bread size is a bit excessive, halves would to the trick. But for some manner of main event sandwich---for that the size would be perfectly fine if not a bit smaller than a large at Quiznos.

I'm pretty much using that recipe of Justin Wilson's for it that you can find within 2 youtube vids. So, real garlic is strong, fresh ground pepper is strong, not shy with Romano, etc.

There must be some nifty ways to do this...possibly incorporating some nontraditional sandwich seasonings...

Will be awhile before we grab more of the bread though so this gives me time to plan.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
abstract alien said:
Sad indeed. It would be such a huge bag of awesome to try out a few dishes from everyone.

Oh yeah, Beelz, do you have any tips on storing pizza dough for later usage, or is that something I should pretty much avoid doing?

i'm late with this, but you can freeze it! lots of pizza places that many here would frown upon (namely, chains) get their dough frozen, thaw it, proof it, and then make pizzas. but fear not, for that's not what makes the quality of their pizzas lesser--that has more to do with how they cook said dough. anyway, freeze, thaw very early on the day of use, allow to rise and proof, pat down, shape, cook away.

pizza dough is better when it has time to develop flavor anyway. if you're using it a couple of days after you make it, just put it in the fridge in a ziplock bag sprayed with nonstick and let it ferment. you'll have a more complex flavor when all's said and done.

and you gotta keep us updated with the great pizza adventure, my friend.

ElectricThunder said:
Brain picking IronGAF: So IronGAF, what experiences have ye to relate in regards to fashioning a good sandwich as the final destination for a freshly contructed full-on foot long bake of garlic bread? As a side dish and with soup, the bread size is a bit excessive, halves would to the trick. But for some manner of main event sandwich---for that the size would be perfectly fine if not a bit smaller than a large at Quiznos.

I'm pretty much using that recipe of Justin Wilson's for it that you can find within 2 youtube vids. So, real garlic is strong, fresh ground pepper is strong, not shy with Romano, etc.

There must be some nifty ways to do this...possibly incorporating some nontraditional sandwich seasonings...

Will be awhile before we grab more of the bread though so this gives me time to plan.

just so i'm clear: you're wanting to take a premade foot long italian garlic bread loaf (i imagine split from the grocery and seasoned on both sides), bake it, and make a sandwich out of it? sure, why the hell not. i've taken foot long italian hoagies and fashioned all manner of sandwiches. it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put in to the preparation of what you put inside. one of my favorite sandwiches is a variation on southern barbecue with slow-roasted pork shoulder, tart red cabbage slaw, fresh jalapeno slices, and pepperjack cheese. but that involves slow-roasting an entire pork butt.

but just look to your favorite sandwiches from any sandwich place and find ways to play on that. that's what i do, anyway. or, look to a site like chow.com. there was this awesome story on there about "TEN GREAT GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES" that i've ran through, and found--again--some of my favorite sandwiches. the roast beets dipped in balsamic vinegar, then put on a sandwich with gooey goat cheese. . . oh my god man.

i love sandwiches so god damn much. sandwiches and pizza.

Zyzyxxz said:
I hope its your camera/lighting but those eggs look abnormally white. :D

Yeah, was a really shitty lighting job by me, sorry about that. :(

Schrade said:
And runny. I've seen that Gordon Ramsey video showing "how to scramble eggs" or whatever. Personally, I didn't find that appetizing at all. I haven't tried it yet but I just can't get over the looks and the eggs being runny... yech.

I'm not a big fan of the runny egg thing too, and it can be easy to do that with Ramsay's technique. Part of that I think is the constant stirring, the eggs don't really bind up into the more common larger globby scrambled eggs. The pic doesn't do it justice, it actually did come out fluffy rather than runny, and in the end the taste was amazing, and it worked pretty well with that bread.

Not saying I'm defending his way of doing things of course, but it was good to try it, learn what I liked from it and adapt it later to suit my own preferences.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff all around, people! Thanks to everybody for sharing.

regarding scrambled eggs, I prefer to start with a cold skillet. a helping of chives greatly enhances the flavor. For best results, add a hint of milk to the eggs and a spoon of velveeta to the skillet:

smallP1010274.jpg

smallP1010275.jpg

smallP1010281.jpg

smallP1010282.jpg

smallP1010284.jpg

smallP1010286.jpg

smallP1010288.jpg

smallP1010291.jpg

smallP1010296.jpg

smallP1010297.jpg

smallP1010298.jpg

smallP1010302.jpg

Yes Boss!

BenzMoney said:
I can't tell you how much my girlfriend and I love the Channa Masala we get from a nice little indian restaurant down the street. Yours looks equally amazing - would love to try it! Any chance you can hook a guy up with the recipe?

Here is a quick and dirty recipe and steps. This one is a standard version not cut with yogurt at the end.

First, you need to make chat masala spice. I use a chat spice but you can also make a channa masala spice....or buy one prepared and skip this step. There are different variations but here is what I do.

Lightly dry roast each:

Spoonful of cumin seed
Three to four dried red chillies
Spoonful of whole coriander seed
Large pinch of hing
Small spoonful of whole pepper corns
Spoonful of fennel seed
Small spoonful whole cloves
Large cinnamon stick
Spoonful of green cardamon
Spoonful of ajwain seeds

Then grind all that with:

Spoonful of red chili powder
Heaping spoonful of graram masala
Spoonful of black salt
Heaping spoonful of mango powder
Spoonful of dried pomegranate seeds
Small spoonful of ground nutmeg or a chunk of dried mace

Spices for chat masala (except the dried pomegranate, not shown):

P1020633-1.jpg

Finished masala (I like mine dark so I roast a bit longer):

P1020634-1.jpg

Now you need to organize the ingredients for the dish.

Two cups of cooked chickpeas (or about a large double can)
Bean water if you cooked them, otherwise some water

Two tomatoes chopped
Two onions chopped
3-5 chopped green green chilis (to taste)
Fresh lime lemon juice (from one fruit)
Fresh Coriander (cilantro)
Ginger/Garlic paste (pulverized equal parts fresh garlic and ginger)
Couple of teaspoons of oil (ghee if you want it richer)
Salt
Hing
Cumin seed
Turmeric
Whole Garam Masala (bay leaves, cinnamon stick, whole cloves, whole green cardamon, whole mace)
Your prepared chat or channa masala spice

P1020815.jpg

Here are the steps. Everything is done at medium high heat. I use an inexpensive kadhai pan so constant stirring is needed but if you use a heavier western claded pan you can be less attentive.

First, add two to three tablespoons oil to your pan and when it heats up lightly saute the whole garam masala for about a minute:

P1020816.jpg

Add the whole cumin seed and suate till they pop and open:

P1020817.jpg

Now, add the heavy dash of hing powder and saute for a few seconds:

P1020818.jpg

Add the oninons to stop the spices from burning. Then add the turmeric and a teaspoon of salt:

P1020819.jpg

After the onions have turned translucent (not browned), add the heaping spoonful of ginger/garlic paste and saute for thirty seconds:

P1020820.jpg

Add the tomatoes and chopped green chilis and reduce for five minutes, stirring constantly until the tomatoes are cooked and disolved and the oil starts to appear on the surface in droplets:

P1020821.jpg

Now, add three large spoonfuls of your chat/channa masala spice and further cook for a few more minutes.

P1020822.jpg

Should be approaching a dry state like this:

P1020823.jpg

Add about a cup of bean juice (or water if you are using canned chickpeas):

P1020824.jpg

Bring to a boil and then add red chili powder according to how hot you want it:

P1020825.jpg

Add your chickpeas and, once again, bring to a boil and cook for five minutes:

P1020826.jpg

Add a large amount of chopped fresh coriander/cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice and cook for about a minute. If you like the gravy a little more runny now is the time to add a small amount of water. Also, check seasoning and add more salt if needed. It is at this point that you can stir in a small amount of yogurt if desired:

P1020827.jpg

Half of the portion garnished with fresh lime. To be served with a bread product, fresh or fried:

P1020830.jpg

Full batch makes about a quart:

P1020831.jpg

Schrade

OnkelC said:
Great stuff all around, people! Thanks to everybody for sharing.

regarding scrambled eggs, I prefer to start with a cold skillet. a helping of chives greatly enhances the flavor. For best results, add a hint of milk to the eggs and a spoon of velveeta to the skillet:

smallP1010302.jpg
Now THAT's the way scrambled eggs should look. Yum!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the Halloween thread, but it should go here to. I actually tasted really good. It's hard to copy that authentic baby flavor though. It's a pork roast and pomegranate sauce.
theotherotherwhitemeat.jpg

fireside

Last week it was pancakes. This week...

2vumyx5.jpg

Muffins from pumpkins! And of course there's only one correct way to eat a muffin:

rc2d6o.jpg

Pop that top and eat its deliciousness first. Then you can throw away the stump. In your stomach.

fireside

beelzebozo said:
PUMPKIN! i need to make a pumpkin pie. the muffins look great.

rash is going to like you
They were good but I was really in the mood for some blueberry muffins. No blueberries though. :( Had to "settle" for the pumpkin.

Who's rash?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
fireside said:
They were good but I was really in the mood for some blueberry muffins. No blueberries though. :( Had to "settle" for the pumpkin.

Who's rash?

a homeboy who was talking about his love for pumpkin dishes over in the "what are you doing on halloween" thread. he's a cool dude.

my dinner. a slow-roasted pork shoulder sandwich with hot mustard, red cabbage slaw, fresh jalapeno, and cilantro on a soft roll

noztbb.jpg

sorry for the lighting. taking attractive pictures late at night is a challenge.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
master sword said:
That looks awesome and creepy at the same time.

I hesitate to ask... but what's it made of?

It's a pan seared pork roast with a spice rub that I finished in the oven. After it was done cooking I attached the doll parts. The "blood sauce" is made out of reduced pomegranate sauce.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
a homeboy who was talking about his love for pumpkin dishes over in the "what are you doing on halloween" thread. he's a cool dude.

my dinner. a slow-roasted pork shoulder sandwich with hot mustard, red cabbage slaw, fresh jalapeno, and cilantro on a soft roll

http://i37.tinypic.com/noztbb.jpg[IMG]

sorry for the lighting. taking attractive pictures late at night is a challenge.[/QUOTE]

how did you prepare the pork shoulder if you don't mind saying?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zyzyxxz said:
how did you prepare the pork shoulder if you don't mind saying?

it was actually leftovers from a goulash i made. i seasoned a pork shoulder on all sides with salt and pepper, and seared it off in a cast iron dutch oven. i pulled it out, and sauteed some onions in the pork fat; i then added some garlic, jalapeno, and several bell peppers (6 i think) of various colors until those were soft. added spices to bloom in the fat (loads of paprika, some cayenne, oregano), then put the shoulder back in. poured on some crushed tomatoes, some water, seasoned with salt and pepper and brought it to a boil. i then covered it up and popped it into a warm oven (300 degrees) for about 5 or 6 hours until the shoulder was hopelessly falling apart like destitute leper.

great for goulash; equally good for sammiches.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
it was actually leftovers from a goulash i made. i seasoned a pork shoulder on all sides with salt and pepper, and seared it off in a cast iron dutch oven. i pulled it out, and sauteed some onions in the pork fat; i then added some garlic, jalapeno, and several bell peppers (6 i think) of various colors until those were soft. added spices to bloom in the fat (loads of paprika, some cayenne, oregano), then put the shoulder back in. poured on some crushed tomatoes, some water, seasoned with salt and pepper and brought it to a boil. i then covered it up and popped it into a warm oven (300 degrees) for about 5 or 6 hours until the shoulder was hopelessly falling apart like destitute leper.

great for goulash; equally good for sammiches.

sounds good! Just need one of those enamel ware dutch ovens that I've been meaning to buy

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
(delicious baby dish)
Hilarious! What did you use as a mold? What's weird is that whenever I see babies, I really do want to bite their arm. They always look so tender and succulent...

Anyway it's Cocktail Week at my house, so I thought I'd share here. I'm going to be posting a recipe a day for this whole week.

Today's cocktail is the Martinez, precursor to the Martini:
4071561742_9c7beeebf3.jpg

http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2009/11/cocktail-week-the-martinez/

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Good to see you back, and with awesome food I might add. more of it, please.
How did you prepare the Carbonara?

Been busy with moving, new job, etc. Haven't cooked anything significant yet, but had a fantastic fried chicken dinner at Momofuku Noodle Bar the other night. Fried chicken 2 ways: southern-buttermilk style and Korean style.

4067921759_982f3e6e8b.jpg

Wendo

Vasectomember
Ok ya'll. I'm looking to make the most badass apple pie. The Cook's Illustrated recipie I tried was ok, but not amazing. Any thoughts?

And I know that Pippins/Spys/Cortlands are the "best" pie apples, but I'm curious if someone has a favorite, and why. I'm planning on mixing varities to get the right flavor.

Zyzyxxz

smirkrevenge said:
Been busy with moving, new job, etc. Haven't cooked anything significant yet, but had a fantastic fried chicken dinner at Momofuku Noodle Bar the other night. Fried chicken 2 ways: southern-buttermilk style and Korean style.

4067921759_982f3e6e8b.jpg

GAH so jealous!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
German GAFfers might see me on TV right now. VOX, Unter Volldampf.

Wendo said:
Ok ya'll. I'm looking to make the most badass apple pie. The Cook's Illustrated recipie I tried was ok, but not amazing. Any thoughts?

And I know that Pippins/Spys/Cortlands are the "best" pie apples, but I'm curious if someone has a favorite, and why. I'm planning on mixing varities to get the right flavor.
Italian "tarta di mele"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8055607&postcount=1096
smallP1020326.jpg

rykomatsu

trancekr said:
It's been quite a while to post here.

Carbonara spaghetti
4073998852_618b5cb6cf.jpg

4073999922_95e92d3715.jpg

Did you use cream or go the more traditional cheese/egg only route?

Regardless, looks good...it's something I make somewhat frequently since it's pretty quick and easy to prepare (unless I only have old eggs... ;/ )

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ludi said:
I always wondered how you become guest there? and: when will we see you cooking at the perfect dinner
got invited by the owner of the restaurant. and never :p

VelvetMouth said:
shit by the time I got my pic snapped and uploaded there's already been a good Onkel pic posted.
it's the non obvious ones that are fascinating:D

Keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom