• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo

OnkelC said:
Italian "tarta di mele"
This looks amazing, going to try to make it soon!

We have the same program in Holland, but the German chef is much nicer and better looking! It's also less sensational, which is actually better in my opinion..

Doing some experiments with Transglutaminase (meat glue) to see if dry or wet works best. Will post up tomorrow some time with the results. But while it is setting I think it is time for some Beef Enchilada's

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I ate some $54 New York Steak today.
It was really good :lol

I saved half of it, how would I prepare it again? (Heat it up, etc.)
No oven.

I'll try to get some pictures if it still looks good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hazaro said:
I ate some $54 New York Steak today.
It was really good :lol

I saved half of it, how would I prepare it again? (Heat it up, etc.)
No oven.

I'll try to get some pictures if it still looks good.
I'd advise against re-heating it in one piece, it'll become stringy and tenacious. Try slicing it thin and make some cold cuts from it or put it in a pasta sauce. The slices could also be topped with grated cheese and put in the oven.

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:
I'd advise against re-heating it in one piece, it'll become stringy and tenacious. Try slicing it thin and make some cold cuts from it or put it in a pasta sauce. The slices could also be topped with grated cheese and put in the oven.

This, though I would recommend doing that on a nice piece of bread and sending it into the broiler for a minute or so. That is always the best way to eat leftover pricey aged steak.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No usable oven here
No good bread ($1 Wheat roommate has)
Only spaghetti for pasta

:(

Man being poor sucks. I want some more steak :lol

Take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp uncovered on the counter, and that's about as close as you're going to get to the original experience. Definitely don't try to reheat it as-is, as you've already been advised.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
slidewinder said:
Take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp uncovered on the counter, and that's about as close as you're going to get to the original experience. Definitely don't try to reheat it as-is, as you've already been advised.

actually, if you put the steak in a ziplock bag at room temperature, then run hot water over the ziplock, you can gently warm the steak back to temperature without harming the texture. i've done it before with some very expensive steaks, and it's damn effective. doesn't cook the meat at all, just, as i said, gently warms it. just be sure to zip that bag really well.

Yes Boss!

Made some nice refreshing pistachio and cardamon ice cream. A good cup of lightly chopped nuts in the whole batch. Also, quite a bit of fresh vanilla bean in there as well. Topped with granulated sugar since I always like that taste.

P1020872.jpg

trancekr

rykomatsu said:
Did you use cream or go the more traditional cheese/egg only route?

Regardless, looks good...it's something I make somewhat frequently since it's pretty quick and easy to prepare (unless I only have old eggs... ;/ )

Sorry for the late comment.

I usually use cream & egg combo.

adg1034

No pictures yet, but I wanted to share something with you all:

I spent the first 5 months of the year in Scotland. Now, being accustomed to good, simple, inexpensive, fresh, (decently) healthy food, this was a bit of a disappointment. On a student's budget (and schedule), I didn't have either the time or the money for anything that required more than 20 minutes of work or more than one pan.

So, I came up with a recipe, and to this day, it's still the most satisfying way I've ever found to prepare chicken:

One or two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
One ripe avocado
Sandwich-size pita bread
Balsamic vinegar
Orange juice
Olive oil
Garlic salt/powder
Mixed herbs (my Herbs de Provence label lists "Spices, including rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and savory")

Throw a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a small frying pan (nonstick works best). While that's heating up, stick one nice round pita bread in your oven and set it to ~225 degrees F.

Check the temperature of the oil by sprinkling it with drops of water; if they sizzle, it's ready. Put in the chicken.

After 20 seconds or so on each side, pour in the balsamic- not a lot, but enough that a fair bit has collected in the bottom of the pan. Maybe 1/4, 1/3 of a cup in total? Next on is the garlic salt and your herb of choice, to taste.

Once that starts sizzling, turn the chicken over. The balsamic should have started boiling down by now, getting a little stronger and a little thicker. When you see that, it's time for the orange juice. Put in a little less of that than you did the balsamic.

(A trick I found- to cut down on the cooking time of your chicken, not to mention getting the balsamic/orange mix on everything, you can take a sturdy spatula/pancake turner type utensil and cut it up while it's sizzling in the pan. After a good five minutes of this, you should be left with perfectly-seasoned, partially caramelized bite-sized chunks, all ready to come out of the pan.)

Now, while your chicken's cooking, it's time to peel and chop your avocado. Slices work fine, as do half-inch cubed chunks, as the ultimate goal is to fit both the avocado and the chicken into your pita pockets.

And, by the time you're all done with that, you should be able to pull a nice, toasty warm pita pocket out of the oven, slip in some chicken and some avocado, and enjoy a hearty, balsamic-orange treat.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
beelzebozo said:
actually, if you put the steak in a ziplock bag at room temperature, then run hot water over the ziplock, you can gently warm the steak back to temperature without harming the texture. i've done it before with some very expensive steaks, and it's damn effective. doesn't cook the meat at all, just, as i said, gently warms it. just be sure to zip that bag really well.
I ran it under water for only a few minutes, and figured it was warm enough. Nope.

Still so delicious.

Natetan

So it's fall, and I felt like making something fall like while also using a lot of fall like things

I followed this recipe for a pumpkin tart

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Custard-Tart-with-Red-Wine-Caramel-Sauce-105627

I used very little sugar in the filling because pumpkin is kind of sweet as it is. I used fresh pumpkin, steamed it, and took the meat off of the skin.

It's nice because it puts almonds in the crust along with lots of other spices.

I made the red wine caramel sauce, but it didn't really turn out the way I wanted it to. I still have to work on carmalizing sugar, I'm pretty bad at it :p

Anyway, I had an extra type of sweet potato, so I steamed it, diced it and put it in to give another hint of fall. I used the red wine caramel sauce to glaze some cut up kaki (persimmon) and nashi (asian pear), both which are big fall foods here. I dusted the whole thing with something called black zinger, which is powdered roasted brown rice. It tastes a bit like coffee, and I like to sprinkle it on ice cream. I thought it would add another nice element to the tart.

4081780031_a3c887dbf4.jpg

to continue the trend of fried foods that are not prepared at home, went to park slope chipshop today. pretty good fish + chips.

battered cod + chips:
4084166573_7516275e6b.jpg

Yes Boss!

I'm kinda curious...has there ever been any serious use of tobacco in a cooking process? Google doesn't seem to turn up much but I'm positive some inventive chef as done something with it.

Brianemone,

Is that whipped butter being extruded in the second picture? Maybe hollandaise?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I made eggs too!

Kicking off my low-carb diet again and have to commemorate with bacon. Always bacon.

Started off with no heat and got my eggs with a nice texture, then let some pepperjack cheese melt, let it cool and placed it on top of the eggs with ketchup & tobasco.
Then got my bacon nice and crispy, pat it down with napkins to make me feel better. :lol

25i0i6s.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Blackface said:
I am debating about going to culinary school. So I will be either contributing to this thread shortly or killing myself.

do you have actual restaurant experience first? I wouldn't do it unless you did.

Culinary school is extremely expensive and the stuff you learn, you could gain at an apprenticeship anywhere over time.

Considering all entry level positions for cooks start close to 10/hr you will be crushed by the student loan payments.

I've considered this option and decided just to go straight to work in the restaurant industry to see if this is where my passion for food can really grow. I wasn't willing to spend 30-40K a year to find that out.

Blackface

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
do you have actual restaurant experience first? I wouldn't do it unless you did.

Culinary school is extremely expensive and the stuff you learn, you could gain at an apprenticeship anywhere over time.

Considering all entry level positions for cooks start close to 10/hr you will be crushed by the student loan payments.

I've considered this option and decided just to go straight to work in the restaurant industry to see if this is where my passion for food can really grow. I wasn't willing to spend 30-40K a year to find that out.

I live in Ontario, so much of the cost is being comped by the government. If I do go it would be the George Brown Chef school I attend. Which is top 10, on some lists top 5 in North America. Tuition is about 5k a year. The program I would attend is two years and after the first semester (teaching basics), they place you in a restaurant/hotel downtown to start your apprenticeship. In Canada you need 6000 hours of in-class and onsite work experience before you can write your Red Seal exam.

I would be doing my apprenticeship/going to school at the same time. After the two years you are suppose to have the 6000 hours complete, then write your Red Seal exam. From there you can go back to school, or off into the work force.

I hear it's a lot easier to get into the industry and go to school in Canada then it is in many other countries. I still have a lot learn on the subject though, and going to do more research before I make a decision.

way more

Blackface said:
I am debating about going to culinary school. So I will be either contributing to this thread shortly or killing myself.

Have you had a cooking job before? You should first work in a kitchen and see if you even like it.

Zyzyxxz

Blackface said:
I live in Ontario, so much of the cost is being comped by the government. If I do go it would be the George Brown Chef school I attend. Which is top 10, on some lists top 5 in North America. Tuition is about 5k a year. The program I would attend is two years and after the first semester (teaching basics), they place you in a restaurant/hotel downtown to start your apprenticeship. In Canada you need 6000 hours of in-class and onsite work experience before you can write your Red Seal exam.

I would be doing my apprenticeship/going to school at the same time. After the two years you are suppose to have the 6000 hours complete, then write your Red Seal exam. From there you can go back to school, or off into the work force.

I hear it's a lot easier to get into the industry and go to school in Canada then it is in many other countries. I still have a lot learn on the subject though, and going to do more research before I make a decision.

wow only 5k a year? Nevermind if this was the USA I would advise against it but seeing as there is so little investment and it shounds like the program is really in depth I say why not.

Blackface

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
wow only 5k a year? Nevermind if this was the USA I would advise against it but seeing as there is so little investment and it shounds like the program is really in depth I say why not.

Ya, we are lucky here in Ontario/Canada. The government comps a lot of culinary programs. I also think I get a $1000 grant for going to culinary school, so tuition is actually only 4k. The apprenticeship they place us in also pays, so school is pretty much paid for since I already live in Toronto.

A friend of mine went to the Pennsylvania Culinary Institute (LCB) and it costs a tonne. I doubt I would go if it was that expensive here.

Yes Boss! said:
Damn,

I'm so out of the loop.

Thought the egg and sausage was on top of the buttered brioche bread. Forgive me...I feel so old...;-(

It's definitely not a traditional scrambled egg. The bread is pretty standard, just toasted white bread with a little butter on it, the "sausage" is Foie Gras and the other white thing on the bread is a french goats cheese. The eggs were cooked for an hour at 73 degrees so that they are still very soft, almost runny, which were then piped out from the cream whipper.

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
It's definitely not a traditional scrambled egg. The bread is pretty standard, just toasted white bread with a little butter on it, the "sausage" is Foie Gras and the other white thing on the bread is a french goats cheese. The eggs were cooked for an hour at 73 degrees so that they are still very soft, almost runny, which were then piped out from the cream whipper.

very nice deconstruction of breakfast.

jarosh

i haven't posted in forever. just haven't really been bothering to take pics... and i'm not all that happy with how this one turned out either :/. oh well, the lighting was just really bad.

i made parmesan chicken (or chicken parmesan if you want) for dinner with a swiss "nüsslisalat". a green salad with a yoghurt dressing, eggs, bacon pieces and croutons.

i pounded the chicken with a mallet to make it thinner and wider, then coated it in a flour/salt/pepper mix, dipped it into a beaten egg and then liberally dredged it into a mixture of freshly ground parmiggiano reggiano, crushed croutons, oregano and basil. then i fried it in some olive oil.

chp1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
good to see you back, man! A nice helping of tagliatelle as a side dish would have been nice, but looks good as is. How come the term "nüssli"-salad? I don't spot any nuts in it...:D

God Bless you guys make me feel like shit for not being able to cook.

And those "scrambled eggs" as you call them look like butter.

how can you call that a scrambled egg? Why not just call it "Runny Egg" ???

or.......

"Egg that looks like butter"

Do yourself a favor should you come across it: Pick up some JARLSBERG cheese! It it like enchanted Swiss cheese incarnate or some such. Of course, this being me, I confirmed this sacred truth with Gyro pizzas.

Plus it somehow made me remember my many hours playing Shadowrun on the Genesis as I think there was a something to with "Vigore and Jarl's" within it---probably something to do with the Johnsons.

Yes Boss!

Made some Sambhar. It is like a crazy Indian vegetable soup. Tons and tons of fresh vegetable (whole shallots, okra, radish, plantain, cauliflower, tomatoes, green chilis, curry leaves, green beans) slowly simmered in a very complex coconut spice mixture. A bunch of tamarind, toor dal and fresh coriander as well. And some jaggery for sweetness. First time making it so I learned a bunch. Goal next time is to try to keep the vegetables a little greener next time.

P1020896.jpg

Ingredients. The curry base in the top middle was pretty cool with just a ton of dry-roasted spices all ground together with raw rice and channa dal.

P1020894.jpg

Zoe

Any recipe recommendations for mashed potatoes or green bean casserole? bf and I want to make some Thanksgiving-ish sides for a gathering, but neither of us are really cooks :lol;

Entropia

No One Remembers
My first time looking in this thread. God damn I wish I could make something closely appealing to what you guys make. My dinners are typically like chicken cutlets on the frying pan and boiled up broccoli and asparagus, or to mix it up I have mashed sweet potatoes. :lol

entremet

Zoe said:
Any recipe recommendations for mashed potatoes or green bean casserole? bf and I want to make some Thanksgiving-ish sides for a gathering, but neither of us are really cooks :lol;

French master chef Joel Robuchon is known for his legendary potato puree. Below is a link to his recipe.

http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recipes/robouchons_potator_puree.htm

Green bean cassorole? Gotta go with French's old recipe. It's a classic.

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/frenchs-green-bean-casserole-RE1511.html

Zyzyxxz

Zoe said:

When you cube the potatoes don't go too small, somewhere along the lines of 1/2 in at the smallest to around less than one inch. Russet potatoes work fine but I think red potatoes make really great mash.

As you are mashing it add butter and carefully add cream.

Roast some garlic and then chop it finely.

Chop up some rosemary and chives and mix it all in.

Keep it simple and keep it tasty.

Jefklak

A question for all professional wok users out here...

Some background info: I grew up without any knowledge of eastern cooking styles whatshowever. Since I've gotten more and more into cooking, my interest in wokking also grew. I bought a cheap non-stick "wok" with a flat bottom from a local store and tried out some recipes and such. I didn't have any knowledge about seasoning a good carbon steel wok and using that one, before reading more asian cookbooks.

That wok is already scratched up pretty badly. But more importantly I didn't stir-fry at all as it seems i'm more stewing/boiling than anything else, because of the electric stove (ceramic, which is the standard here). I never seem to be able to produce enough heat to get the wok going, but I didn't know that was needed until I saw some pro's at work. Getting a dish ready in 5 minutes in a wok, wow. Throwing something in a seasoned wok, seeing a lot of smoke and hearing a loud shizzle, that's how it's supposed to work, right?
My reference point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6FmocLrzA

So I decided to try a classic thin carbon steel wok instead of that non stick bullshit. But my main problem still is the electric stove... Is it even possible to stir-fry on that kind of heat? Don't give me the "buy a new stove" reply, I'm renting the place... Besides, here it's very common to see electric ones.
As seen in the video some kind of separate gas wok burner seems to exist but I've never seen something like that in stores. Is that interesting or safe to use? I don't have that much space left in the kitchen...

Are there people out here who wok successfully on a classic ceramic/electric stove?

Zyzyxxz

Jefklak said:
A question for all professional wok users out here...

Some background info: I grew up without any knowledge of eastern cooking styles whatshowever. Since I've gotten more and more into cooking, my interest in wokking also grew. I bought a cheap non-stick "wok" with a flat bottom from a local store and tried out some recipes and such. I didn't have any knowledge about seasoning a good carbon steel wok and using that one, before reading more asian cookbooks.

That wok is already scratched up pretty badly. But more importantly I didn't stir-fry at all as it seems i'm more stewing/boiling than anything else, because of the electric stove (ceramic, which is the standard here). I never seem to be able to produce enough heat to get the wok going, but I didn't know that was needed until I saw some pro's at work. Getting a dish ready in 5 minutes in a wok, wow. Throwing something in a seasoned wok, seeing a lot of smoke and hearing a loud shizzle, that's how it's supposed to work, right?
My reference point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6FmocLrzA

So I decided to try a classic thin carbon steel wok instead of that non stick bullshit. But my main problem still is the electric stove... Is it even possible to stir-fry on that kind of heat? Don't give me the "buy a new stove" reply, I'm renting the place... Besides, here it's very common to see electric ones.
As seen in the video some kind of separate gas wok burner seems to exist but I've never seen something like that in stores. Is that interesting or safe to use? I don't have that much space left in the kitchen...

Are there people out here who wok successfully on a classic ceramic/electric stove?

I've tried it at my apartment before in college but its not the same as a gas burner.

You can do it but the concepts of using a wok are entirely different from western uses of a fry pan.

The thing is not to let your food be sitting on the surface of the wok, you gotta be shuffling it around all the time and because the wok is always moving around it loses heat in the process which is why you gotta get the wok smoking hot which is difficult with electric range tops.

Just start cooking in smaller amounts if your electric stove top doesnt get that hot. The techniques and way to use them may take a while to learn but you will get it eventually.

Zyzyxxz

Is that basil also?

Reminds me of my basil plant which is over a 1000 miles away... I wonder how tall it is now or maybe my parent's killed it.

Zyzyxxz said:
Is that basil also?

Reminds me of my basil plant which is over a 1000 miles away... I wonder how tall it is now or maybe my parent's killed it.
:^(

Also, I made my first pizza crust...and it was absolutely terrible :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom