• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Foolishly got rid of this one when I was young, and now the price has exploded so I went with the Famicom version:

mPLengp.jpg

Morfeo

Ok, I just beat Ducktales 2 I guess. Does anything special happend if you collect all the map-pieces? I thought I had gotten all, but not sure if it triggered anything in the end.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Just got a copy of Lickle for the Famicom. Seriously excellent game. There's a reason that it fetches such a premium. Played through the game on easy the first night. It was a challenge but totally manageable. I'm excited to play through it on normal.

Same here. How much did you end up paying for it? The prices I've seen for the Famicom version have been all over the place.

I think the Famicom version is harder than the NES version since the passwords in the former don't save potions.

A pretty good game for sure, but it does not defend that price imo. Played through it on normal just last month. Need to do it on easy as well, since I read somewhere that the last boss is different.

On Easy you end on the Golden Dragon/Yellow Devil-like boss fight rather than continuing onto the Final Level with the Boss Rematches. Was surprised to see that the Mouse was the best choice for the Final Boss. lol

Morfeo

On Easy you end on the Golden Dragon/Yellow Devil-like boss fight rather than continuing onto the Final Level with the Boss Rematches. Was surprised to see that the Mouse was the best choice for the Final Boss. lol

Ah ok. The last boss was a total pushover, the Yellow Devil was much harder for sure!

Mzo

Just beat SMB 2 (Lost Levels) on the FDS, goddamn. World 8 isn't fucking around.

I didn't use any warps so I got to see World 9, which they called the Fantasy World. It was like a regular outdoor level, except you could swim through the air.

You only get one life and I lost it in 9-2. No continues. Counting this one as done!

Teknoman

Just beat SMB 2 (Lost Levels) on the FDS, goddamn. World 8 isn't fucking around.

I didn't use any warps so I got to see World 9, which they called the Fantasy World. It was like a regular outdoor level, except you could swim through the air.

You only get one life and I lost it in 9-2. No continues. Counting this one as done!

Wait...what? Maybe I need to go back and give it a shot on SMB All Stars?

Huggers

get a decent deal, at least?

I paid £64 for it which is around $98. Think that's fairly good? EBay is a minefield! The seller says the cart is mint so looking forward to getting it. I only need 6 now to complete the set. 5 and 6 are the only two I have left to finish as well so going to take my time with them.

Ouch! I gave up and got the Famicom-version on this one.

Yeah I was tempted to do the same but 6 isn't super expensive so figured if I took the hit on 5 that'd be my NTSC Mega Man set almost done. Helps my OCD to have them all the same region!

Teknoman

Its not just you, I felt like I had to do this with a few as well, they are not always good enough designed to take the normal "learn pattern, be patient"-approach imo.

Yeah, there were aspects of the game that seemed a bit sloppy (like some unbalanced bosses and the fact that it seems to become harder to hit some enemies with your powered-up projectile), but unlike a lot of NES games, the design flaws are things that are possible to overcome with a reasonable degree of patience and skill.

A few of the good design choices that help make up for the bad:
- Infinite continues (big plus).
- Relatively short stages.
- Fixed enemies dropping power-ups (which will re-appear and can be exploited).
- Some of your life bar refills between stages.
- No time limits.

There are a lot of games with design flaws that are game-breaking. Whether Monster Party was spared this fate due to clever developers, blind luck, or a bit of both I don't know, but I'm certainly glad it ended up the way it did. Would be interesting to see what Bandai-Namco could do if they decided to make a modern remake.

That jump bat (if you jump and hold attack, Mark keeps the bat out) attack is a life saver.

I stopped at like level 6 the other night, but recording these playthroughs...I wanna have it uploaded before the 31st is over (have to actually work and late that night though...).

At any rate, never really had the patience to farm items in any game.

EDIT: Faxanadu Month will be mind blowing to be sure. Ran around in it just to mess with the RGB pallete settings and almost found myself sucked in. Its got a really good sense of adventure, and the first overworld theme really helps in that regard. Also how alien everything looks, especially for a fantasy universe with "elves" and "dwarves". Hopefully Crystalis gets a vote too, since its pretty affordable as well.

Morfeo

That jump bat (if you jump and hold attack, Mark keeps the bat out) attack is a life saver.

I stopped at like level 6 the other night, but recording these playthroughs...I wanna have it uploaded before the 31st is over (have to actually work and late that night though...).

At any rate, never really had the patience to farm items in any game.

EDIT: Faxanadu Month will be mind blowing to be sure. Ran around in it just to mess with the RGB pallete settings and almost found myself sucked in. Its got a really good sense of adventure, and the first overworld theme really helps in that regard. Also how alien everything looks, especially for a fantasy universe with "elves" and "dwarves". Hopefully Crystalis gets a vote too, since its pretty affordable as well.

Yeah, I voted for Crystalis, but when it lost, I ended up playing it anyways after beating Monster Party. That jump attack is definitely a lifesaver btw!

I agree on many levels with Famicom Xanadu, that game is a success on so many levels. Makes me really sad that we never got a proper sequel :(

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Just obtained the Good Ending of Gimmick!. Final Boss feels like a giant version of one of the mini-bosses in Level 6, regardless I'm glad I killed myself two extra times to get those extra healing potions as they took me down to my last hit point before I finished them.

Only real complaints I have come from some of the cheap Secret Areas and most of the game being trial and error. The music actually sounds pretty good despite my NES missing 3 of the sound channels. The "Realistic Another World" logo on the label definitely isn't lying. Would definitely recommend getting a hold of it somehow.

Huh. Can't believe I never knew this!

Mzo

Wait...what? Maybe I need to go back and give it a shot on SMB All Stars?

Yeah I beat it on allstars because you can save every level, real thing, couldn't be effed.

Huh. Can't believe I never knew this!

Yeah, there's no way I'm doing it again anytime soon. SMB2 isn't that bad at all until World 7, but it gets bad enough that it's not much fun by the time World 8 rolls around.

At least they updated dat Peach sprite

wat

I absolutely did the "infinite" lives koopa stomp in 1-1 to get this done. Astute readers can tell how many lives I had left at the end.

Same here. How much did you end up paying for it? The prices I've seen for the Famicom version have been all over the place.

I think the Famicom version is harder than the NES version since the passwords in the former don't save potions.

I managed to snag mine for about $175. Expensive sure, but a whole helluva lot cheaper than what Little Samson is going for these days. I just started my playthrough on Normal last night.

OnPoint

Yeah, there's no way I'm doing it again anytime soon. SMB2 isn't that bad at all until World 7, but it gets bad enough that it's not much fun by the time World 8 rolls around.

World 7 was enough for me to bow out. Such frustration.

I beat Lost Levels on GBC years ago. I remember it being really hard, but I heard that they made the GBC port significantly easier than the original.

They nixed the wind effects from for Super Players, which does give you a bit less to contend with than the original. They also only used BG tiles from SMB[1], despite the newer SMB2j ground tile being in the game's data (implying that, at one point, they were going to use the newer art for that levelset). Worlds 9-D aren't in the game, either.

---

I played around with Faxanadu last night, having voted for it since I bought it on the Wii VC a while back yet never put too much time into it. I think I'm in the second town - at any rate, I've been told to buy a shield and watch out for dwarves, and some nearby tree is locked with a Jack key. It's been a while, I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing, but hey, whatever.

Just to be clear, does the game remember your password if you die, or should I be breaking out my phone camera to take a picture of this so I can type it in manually in case I bite the dust?

Finally started to get the hang of Gimmick!, at least enough so that I can make it through it each level decently. Level 5's boss is hard but the secret bomb items hidden nearby both give you extra farm-able lives and ammo. Level 6 isn't hard beyond getting a hang of the first miniboss's pattern (feels like fighting Hammer Bros) and dealing with springs (are easier than the ones in Mario IMO). I still have to beat Level 6's boss, but the sheer hecticness of the fight is a lot of fun and more manageable than it seems.

IDK I'm starting to feel ready to take on the Good Ending Challenge. lol

Nice job! I've been playing it myself - the game absolutely kicked my ass on my first playthrough but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The boss of stage 6 is definitely the hardest part of the game for me, with the stage 5 boss close behind (although that one feels a lot easier to learn). I've found most of the hidden items too; I'm only not sure how to get to the ones in stages 5 and 6 now.

What secret bombs are you talking about? Do you mean the ones that occasionally pop out of the cannon before the boss?

Also, man, Japanese Mario 2 is such a great game. Definitely the best title in the Mario series, and probably my favorite from the NES library (even if it's not technically a NES game...)

IrishNinja

damn, didnt even know that was there...mad props on this
also yeah that new peach sprite is neat

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of completing Megaman collections I've done it. 1 - 6 is finally done. 5 being the most expensive to get at 85 but still somewhat cheaper to get than it what goes for thanks to a gaffer.

Now what's the best thing to do for cleaning brown (rust?) spots on cartridges.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Nice job! I've been playing it myself - the game absolutely kicked my ass on my first playthrough but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The boss of stage 6 is definitely the hardest part of the game for me, with the stage 5 boss close behind (although that one feels a lot easier to learn). I've found most of the hidden items too; I'm only not sure how to get to the ones in stages 5 and 6 now.

What secret bombs are you talking about? Do you mean the ones that occasionally pop out of the cannon before the boss?

Doing a blind run?

Level 5's Secret:
At the start of the level ride the elevator down and then back up while dodging the missile. Do a running jump holding right to enter the spot the missile firing enemy first appeared. Enter the next screen, careful of the immediate pitfall, and hit the switch in the corner. After the minecart section, one of the pools of water next to the conveyor belt section will drain leading to the secret. Throw a star into the platform holding the secret so it angles underneath you giving you a boost. You'll die if you miss, but you continue at the start of the secret area next to the unlimited ammo/lives.

Level 6's Secret:
After you watch the single bomb item drop into the spike due to the small gears, you'll enter into two empty rooms, with the second containing two holes in the ceiling. Do a running jump into the left side of the wall to ride the star into the smaller hole (takes a couple tries, but is much easier to do than Secret 4).

You'll enter a room with a spring and a cannon. The cannon drops bombs, which can be used to blast the cannon down. You can then ride the cannonballs to enter the room with the secret. Alternatively you can angle a star while falling into the pit (that leads back to the main room) to get an easy boost.

In Level 5's secret area, if you go left instead of right to the secret you'll find a conveyor belt containing 5 bomb items (no cannon). If you can no longer hold any more items they become objects that you can push together to fuse into a 1up. Since you can fuse up to two of them and that the check point is nearby, you basically have unlimited farmable lives and ammo to take on Level 5's boss. You can get some free hits on the 2nd boss as they're walking onto the screen.

Level 6 I didn't find to be too bad. The statues have a basic pattern, throw a ground star moving forward when they rhythmically jump (the final boss is similar so do learn their pattern). The main boss takes some patience, but the only real threat is when the boss chases you when caught in a bubble. Getting caught in one and running to the other side of the room can sometimes put them in position. The secret area takes some practice and there's multiple ways to do it, but it won't cost you any lives.

Sir IIpalazzo? I think I remember that name over on Smashboards. lol

Nafe

Hello. I saw the thread and the conversation a few pages back about the game Batman and I have a question regarding the game that I was wondering if anyone knew.

I had played the game years ago but had never beat it before. Around the Summer/Fall of 2008 I believe it was, I thought I'd go back and play the game to try and beat it this time. I did manage to get up to the boss of the last level and this is where my question occurs.

It looked like he had defeated me but when I restarted the level and got back to where the boss should be a cutscene started playing instead. After that I was fighting the Joker. I was defeated again and each time I made it back to the boss it was the Joker. Unfortunately I didn't beat him and since I had already been playing for a couple hours or so and you can't save the game, I decided to end it there for now.

Looking online I saw that after you beat the last stage's boss it should start the cutscene and then you fight Joker. If you're defeated you will just fight Joker and not the other boss first every time.

Finally getting to my question is that it looked like the boss defeated me. Is there any possibly rare but known bug that can occur during this fight where it seems like you could skip to the Joker?

I believe I was using a projectile weapon, so do you suppose maybe I had hit him just a fraction of a second before he hit me, and while Batman's death animation played or overrode the bosses, it was still enough for the game to recognize it as a defeat of the boss and thus I started at the Joker on the next attempt?

Having had this occur, I was just wondering if anyone had heard something at all similar regarding the game.

Teknoman

They nixed the wind effects from for Super Players, which does give you a bit less to contend with than the original. They also only used BG tiles from SMB[1], despite the newer SMB2j ground tile being in the game's data (implying that, at one point, they were going to use the newer art for that levelset). Worlds 9-D aren't in the game, either.

---

I played around with Faxanadu last night, having voted for it since I bought it on the Wii VC a while back yet never put too much time into it. I think I'm in the second town - at any rate, I've been told to buy a shield and watch out for dwarves, and some nearby tree is locked with a Jack key. It's been a while, I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing, but hey, whatever.

Just to be clear, does the game remember your password if you die, or should I be breaking out my phone camera to take a picture of this so I can type it in manually in case I bite the dust?

I'd take a picture to be safe.

BTails

So... I just dropped some cash and preordered an Analogue NT with the HDMI upgrade... My wife is not super happy, but with a nice year end bonus coming, I figured I could treat myself.

Also, I actually have a Faxanadu cartridge, and have never played much of it, so I'd be happy to join in next month! Will still be rocking my NES Toaster with composite to my Framemeister until the Analogue 2nd run of consoles start shipping though.

Khaz

Well this is cool. AP footage from Akihabara in 1985ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXFwO7COys

I'm glad it included a sequence with some SG-1000 games, which shows it wasn't completely obscure at the time and crushed by the Famicom juggernaut
right before a sequence with Famicoms selling gangbusters :(
The programmers were working on MSX games in the beginning, right?

From the description:

child playing game involving Princess and Magician

eh

D.Lo

I'm glad it included a sequence with some SG-1000 games, which shows it wasn't completely obscure at the time and crushed by the Famicom juggernaut
right before a sequence with Famicoms selling gangbusters :(
The programmers were working on MSX games in the beginning, right?
The first PC looked like an MSX, with the directional pad on the right. And they looked like MSX game boxes too. The second PC didn't look like an MSX.

Technically it was the SG-1000 II shown, which was Sega's first 'answer' to the Famciom's success, with the Famicom like controller instead of joystick, flat design, and controller storage slots on the side. This sets that bit of the video most likely in late 84/early 85, after the SG-1000 II launch in 1984 but before it had done poorly enough for them ditch it to move on with the Mark III in 85.

Twinbee is playing in store at one point though, and that's an early 1986 release on Famicom.

AmyS

Already posted?

Early Nintendo NES press release from March 20, 1986, announcing nationwide roll out

qmEeATx.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10...tainment-system-press-release-surfaces-online

A press release for the Nintendo Entertainment System has been posted online, revealing some interesting details about Nintendo's first home console.

Video game collector Steve Lin shared the document in a post on Twitter (via Polygon). In his tweet, Lin highlights market research funded by Nintendo back in 1986, which reveals the chief reason behind the console's popularity among kids in the United States. Believe it not, the main reason kids wanted the console was the robotic toy that came bundled with the system.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Still a few stages to go in Monster Party before getting into Faxanadu. It's pretty hard, or maybe I don't know all the tricks.

nPgnFtwh.jpg

Nafe

I guess no one is really sure what happened regarding Batman.
Okay, I thought I'd at least ask just in case anyone knew anything.

---

Good job to Mzo on the Mario Bros. 2j playthrough.

I haven't had a chance to play the original yet and went through the All-Stars version twice earlier this year (first as Mario and then Luigi). When getting to world 9 I was at least able to mimic the original by going through with only one life even though you can technically restart at any level.

I forgot that world 9 was no warping and thought it was where you had to go through the game 8 times. It turns out that's for world A-D. Thankfully you just carry on to world A after 9 on the All-Stars version.

When I got to this jump, I didn't even know if it was possible to make it without being little mario or taking a hit. As you can see here,and which I was able to do myself, it is actually possible. Talk about pixel perfect jumping though,haha.

Varth

Finally managed to get my hands on the last order from a brit seller and hitjapan. Overall the stuff is in very good shape.

5Wlb2SJ.jpg

The games surprised Me quite a bit, too. Power Blazer and Ninja Cop are worse than I thought, and Heavy Barrel is quite a bit better, controls aside. Kage is even better than I hoped. Very good and I keep gwtting better with it.

Unfortunately I discovered that I already had Clash at Demonhead in my collection :/
Keep your wishlists in order!

OnPoint

Month Two: Faxanadu post incoming later today. November sorta crept up on me and I was sick the last few days. I hope everyone had a happy Halloween!

Huggers

^ nice

Sooo just grabbed Turtles 3 The Manhatten Project. Only had 5 minutes or so to have a quick blast on it but so far it seems great. There's even a very short voice clip! Good to have all 3 NES turtles games. Also did a full play through of Castlevania for youtube https://youtu.be/v54DDg1_7xY . Be interested to see if anyone does things differently to me when finishing it

Timu

^ nice

Sooo just grabbed Turtles 3 The Manhatten Project. Only had 5 minutes or so to have a quick blast on it but so far it seems great. There's even a very short voice clip! Good to have all 3 NES turtles games. Also did a full play through of Castlevania for youtube https://youtu.be/v54DDg1_7xY . Be interested to see if anyone does things differently to me when finishing it
Best TMNT game on NES, also nice playthrough.

Teknoman

Still a few stages to go in Monster Party before getting into Faxanadu. It's pretty hard, or maybe I don't know all the tricks.

nPgnFtwh.jpg

Nope, it's just hard. Really have to brute force it.

Finally managed to get my hands on the last order from a brit seller and hitjapan. Overall the stuff is in very good shape.

5Wlb2SJ.jpg

The games surprised Me quite a bit, too. Power Blazer and Ninja Cop are worse than I thought, and Heavy Barrel is quite a bit better, controls aside. Kage is even better than I hoped. Very good and I keep gwtting better with it.

Unfortunately I discovered that I already had Clash at Demonhead in my collection :/
Keep your wishlists in order!

Glad to hear about Kage. Realized what it was the other day and got a decent cart only. (Shadow of the Ninja).

More people need to play TMNT3 for the music alone.

Manhattan Project is dope. I always tend to forget that it did the whole Super Shredder as a surprise final boss thing before Turtles in Time SNES and Hyperstone Heist did.

Hell, the final boss fight is an 8-Bit rendition of the TiT final boss theme!

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

We made it through October, the spookiest of months, playing
Monster Party. Now, the Game Club has spoken, and we're
going to be playing Faxanadu for the month of November.

jCfDNsz.png

Now, it's been quite some time since I've played Faxanadu, so I'm
going in just as blind as those who haven't played it, maybe ever.
However, let's educate ourselves through the wonder that is Wikipedia.

Faxanadu is a spin-off or side-story of Xanadu, which is
the second installment of Falcom's long-running RPG series, Dragon
Slayer. The title Faxanadu is a portmanteau formed from the names
Famicom and Xanadu.

All that said, let's get to playing and posting our impressions!

D8Jfsap.png

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines

The nominated title should be readily available via standard channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30, preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join in).
The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks, homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be playable without knowledge of Japanese.
Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process

The first week of each month, the selection process for the following month commences. As part of this, each member has the ability to submit a nomination for the title they think should be the next Game Of The Month.

At the end of this week, the nominations are tallied in the following manner:

The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The list is ordered by the number of votes per nominee.
The top five nominees are selected.
In the case of nominees that have an equal amount of votes either side of the cut-off point, the title nominated first is selected.
During the second week, voting commences, lasting for one week. Results will be posted in the thread.

Nominate games for future months here: http://goo.gl/forms/3kOrh52aXW

Previous months:
- October 2015

Mega

Banned
^ nice

One of the best stage songs in the game also has a voice clip. Hey, hey!
https://youtu.be/i2wCJgOcO9U?t=1054

TMNT3 blew me away as a kid. TMNT2 was already one of my all time favorites and I was legitimately surprised that there was an entire other game on the NES, bigger and better.

Krang's entrance still gives me a chill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5RM-QpFeo

And cliche as it may sound, Super Shredder is an epic boss fight. I personally think the way the fight plays out + music is better than the versions on Genesis and SNES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v1lrlno-0g

Timu

One of the best stage songs in the game also has a voice clip. Hey, hey!
https://youtu.be/i2wCJgOcO9U?t=1054

TMNT3 blew me away as a kid. TMNT2 was already one of my all time favorites and I was legitimately surprised that there was an entire other game on the NES, bigger and better.

Krang's entrance still gives me a chill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5RM-QpFeo

And cliche as it may sound, Super Shredder is an epic boss fight. I personally think the way the fight plays out + music is better than the versions on Genesis and SNES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v1lrlno-0g
And this is why the game is awesome and best NES TMNT.

Morfeo

Was going to play a bit more on Crystalis today, but seems my save was gone :( Had just defeated the boss at the mountain, so I guess I wasnt terribly far in the game, but still sucks. Guess its time to replace the battery.

Anyways, started Adventure Island 3 instead, and well, got pretty disappointed. AI2 was a great upgrade on the first, and I had hoped AI3 would take it further, but seems its just a remixed version basically, and Im not sure if thats what Im ready for right now. Did manage to get the best ending in Duck Tales 2 on difficult though, which was easy but VERY fun!

Edit: Anything to look out for when buying batteries? Will these work fine? http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-cr2032...439100?hash=item235c107a3c:g:KlAAAOxypthRn4CW

For some reason I had assumed TMNT3 was supposed to be prohibitively expensive, but... nope, $30. Might look at that, seeing as I own 1, 2 and 4 already. (Although, honestly, I think I only really like 4 of those... I want to like 2, but something about its mechanics never gelled with me.)

Also, huh, the final boss music in TMNT3 and Turtles in Time is the same.

Top Bottom