• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | November 2015

So I don't post often on NeoGaf. I've been more of a lurker these past many years. But I've always enjoyed reading impressions in the PSN threads since it seems like a friendly community of gamers just discussing their favorite games instead of just bashing graphics or frame rate.

I'll try to start posting more here, especially if I have down time at work.

So what games are you guys aiming to play this month :)?

My plains are the following:
-PS3: Fatal Frame 1 & 2, Mass Effect 2, Skylanders Swap Force (Nightmare or Hard Mode), Kingdom Hearts 2.5 (BbS HD and 2 Final Mix HD)
-Vita: Crash 1-2, Spyro 2-3, Broken Age, Super Meat Boy, Dragon Fin Soup, SAO: Lost Song, other titles in my backlog (to many to list XD!)

Also want to build up money to get a PS4 by Dec/Jan (hoping to net a job by the middle of November) and keep up getting good grades for the semester :).

That is one heck of a backlog. I haven't been able to play much games these past two years due to work, but I was able to finish Until Dawn (PS4), The Order 1886 (PS4), Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4), Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3), and Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita) this year so far.

I'm planning on playing the following games before year-end:

PS4: Tales of Zestiria (Currently playing), Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment
PS3: N/A
PS Vita: Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth (Currently playing), Steins Gate, Danganronpa

I guess I'm in the mood for murder mysteries and visual novels. I've never played otome games before, but I heard good things about Code Realize. And of course, you all keep mentioning Steins Gate and Dangranronpa so I'll be playing through those before year-end hopefully.

Tales of Zestiria caught me by surprise. I played Tales of Xilia a couple years ago but never made it past a few hours. But Tales of Zestiria's sense of adventure and uplifting atmosphere drew me in. I'm a few hours into it and I'll try to play more of it. It's been a while since a JRPG has pulled me in.

Any tips or suggestions for any of the games above? Should I avoid any of the above games and try something else instead?

Takao

Banned
They seem in line with GE2 Rage Burst opening week sales, relative to the PSV. Better actually.

[PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Bandai Namco, 02/19/15) – 234,180
[PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Bandai Namco, 02/19/15) – 37,824

I hope Bamco had reasonable expectations and the PS4 version will do decent in Asia as well.
Also Europe and NA

Resurrection is just a re-release of Burst, a game that's been playable on handhelds for years. This is the first time it's been playable on a home console.

This is the first time it's been playable on a home console.

That's also true for God Eater 2: Rage Burst on PS4. The fact that GE:R is based on a much older game that had several re-releases expains the difference in sales pretty well I think.
If you include the other SKU

[PS4] God Eater Resurrection Cross-Play Pack & Anime Vol. 1 (Bandai Namco, 10/29/15) – 16,281 (New)

the sales are actually higher than for GE2:RB

Takao

Banned
That other SKU includes a Vita code in every box. It's only branded as PS4 because it ships on a Blu-Ray with the anime. I don't think it's fair to exclusively label its sales for PS4, and even if you do, that's a small increase over RB.

autoduelist

Minireview --

Ultratron --

If you played their game Titan Attacks, you sort of know what you're getting -- where Titan Attacks is a frenetic modernized Space Invaders with upgradeable ship/weapons, this is the same for Robotron 2084.

It's also a far better game, if only due to increased difficulty. Titan Attacks was too easy; I fully upgraded and 'beat' the game on my very first try. Ultratron took me three tries, though even with that said the game is better at dealing with those long games -- after you've fought all the bosses, you start fighting them two at a time, and then eventually three at a time! There are a wider variety of power-ups and play techniques as well. But dual stick shooters are 'my' genre... I think it would take most people a bit longer to beat.

Enemies are fast and furious, and the wide variety of bullets and mobs coming at you will definitely keep you on your toes and put you 'into the zone' if you want to do well. If anything, the tiny screen and tiny enemies are the worst part about the game... you really need to be focused because soon enough so many things are going on it's hard to tell what's happening unless you're completely focused -- I can't tell you how many times I tried to dodge a coin being sucked at me, or thought a pet droid was an enemy for a split second.

The game does powerups well -- you've got shields [up to 10 levels, very expensive at hight levels], bullet strength, coin vacuum strength, 3 different pets to level up, fixed turrets to level up, speed, grenades, emp... tons and tons of choice.

Pro-tip -- the two most important things to power up are your own shots, and your coin vacuum. Upgrading your vacuum as fast as possible not only ensures you make more money by missing less coins, but also means you don't need to wade into a mob trying to collect coins. So jump between those two until they are fully upgraded [takes a long time, shots have like 10 levels of upgrades!], then maybe switch to pets or speed depending on play style. Pets are nice because they'll also take a hit for you and you can then go recollect them, which is better than getting hit yourself... plus fully upgraded they're pretty vicious. Shields go up in price so fast it's only worth keeping 2 levels imo unless maybe it's a boss level [3 is nice]. Spend that coin on better upgrades.

I was really worried my first game by how small everything was... it seemed really crowded and claustrophobic at first, but once you're in the zone it isn't a problem. I think I got to stage 125 or so last night before I quit [it was 3am] and could have kept playing... unlike Titan Attacks, which just felt like 'more of the same' in many ways, this game did feel like it was getting more difficult by that point.

Glad I picked it up when it went on sale, definitely got my money's worth and will add it to my pick up and play folder.

ChrisD

So with the new PSM timeframe, does that mean I can switch memory cards until next year when I then need to keep the card with all my Mobile titles in?
Or put more simply, has the deadline been extended, or is this simply another verification?

So with the new PSM timeframe, does that mean I can switch memory cards until next year when I then need to keep the card with all my Mobile titles in?
Or put more simply, has the deadline been extended, or is this simply another verification?

They way I read it was their last method of going into the menu and clicking on the "Playstation Mobile" thing didn't work. Now it is a new verification where you have to open up every single game on your device by February. I am thinking I need to do it once for my Vita and again for my PSTV for my 25+ games.

Minireview -- Ultratron --

It isn't bad but Vita has some great twin stick shooters and Ultratron would probably be #6 or #7 so on the list.

Phototropic

Neo Member

PS4: Tales of Zestiria (Currently playing), Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment
PS Vita: Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth (Currently playing), Steins Gate, Danganronpa

Any tips or suggestions for any of the games above? Should I avoid any of the above games and try something else instead?
Those seem like some good choices. I really liked Steins;Gate and Danganronpa. My only suggestion would be to make Sherlock Holmes low priority and/or skip it if you are pressed for time. I played it recently, and it was fairly pedestrian.

autoduelist

anyone remember how to take an exam in Freedom Wars? My save file has the three listed Code 3 clearance things 'checked off', and when i talk to my accessory to 'check exam reqs' everything is done.

i just don't know what to do to trigger the exam. Also, it looks like i have two inactive factories. should i read up on them online and get them going right away or is that an endgame thing i can ignore for now?

They way I read it was their last method of going into the menu and clicking on the "Playstation Mobile" thing didn't work. Now it is a new verification where you have to open up every single game on your device by February. I am thinking I need to do it once for my Vita and again for my PSTV for my 25+ games.

It isn't bad but Vita has some great twin stick shooters and Ultratron would probably be #6 or #7 so on the list.

re: psm -- are you sure you need to open each one? Or just one? The directions weren't quite clear imo... though I suppose opening all is more likely.

re: ultratron -- yes, there are definitely better dual stick shooters on vita. not sure where you thought my review said it was the best; i try to review games on their own merit... if a game is good, I don't bother mentioning others are better since that's a given for all but 1 [the best] and everybody generally has their own 'best' anyway [mine is ssd on vita]. But for $4 or whatever I paid for ultratron? Worth it.

re: psm -- are you sure you need to open each one? Or just one? The directions weren't quite clear imo... though I suppose opening all is more likely.

re: ultratron -- yes, there are definitely better dual stick shooters on vita. not sure where you thought my review said it was the best; i try to review games on their own merit... if a game is good, I don't bother mentioning others are better since that's a given for all but 1 [the best] and everybody generally has their own 'best' anyway [mine is ssd on vita]. But for $4 or whatever I paid for ultratron? Worth it.

I interpeted it as you need to be online and open each game for each system. But it is super confusing.

Wasn't arguing or saying you said anything. Just stating my opinion. :)

adarker

Banned
Holy crap Magicka 2 is annoying! My partners kill me more than any monsters ever did and the game shouts random annoying crap like "Surrender!" "Uncle Fucker!" "Prison!" I cringe at the mere mention of its name. Gah!

Also Tomba 2 sitch sucks! Still can't get English version and no one seems to know whats up as usual.

Prelude.

Also Tomba 2 sitch sucks! Still can't get English version and no one seems to know whats up as usual.
You probably just need to wait:

Just for a little clarity on the free Tomba 2 English for Japanese version purchasers, it looks like what will happen is you will receive an XMB message in the next couple days saying that you are eligible for the free download, and then about a week or so later you will receive the actual voucher, again through the XMB, to redeem.

redcrayon

anyone remember how to take an exam in Freedom Wars? My save file has the three listed Code 3 clearance things 'checked off', and when i talk to my accessory to 'check exam reqs' everything is done.

i just don't know what to do to trigger the exam. Also, it looks like i have two inactive factories. should i read up on them online and get them going right away or is that an endgame thing i can ignore for now?

If you've come back to it after a while, it's probably either the solo missions in the cell garden or you need to talk to someone at the bar/shop. I remember a lot of missions needed me to speak to someone waiting outside the elevator on a specific level to access the cell garden, or reach a point within it. It's different to the regular outside missions that you access through your accessory, you need to go to the elevator that leads to the cell garden. Once you've done that mission, I think the exam will open up. It's annoying but they don't show up on the regular mission list, so it's easy to have forgotten about where you've been told to go if you come back to it!

If you have inactive factories, you could just set them to making kit/upgrading items just to level them up- I found that by constantly breaking things down to provide resources (pretty much every consumable apart from ammo and health packs I got rid of), I could have thrm running pretty much constantly making more medical supplies and ammunition.

Tizoc

I'll never understand why people want things NOW.
Someone makes a post on Monday/Tuesday about discounts on US PSN, someone posts to ask why they aren't live yet.
Just...WAIT. You don't see me complaining about having to wait a week or 2 to get my Vita games from Amazon.com.

autoduelist

Dragon Fin Soup has potential. Playing 'story mode' now... the other two modes are probably a better fit for me but we'll see.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For some reason, I tried accessing the PS4 store now but I keep getting kicked out during the "please wait" loading screen. Help?

Anyone?

I tried again but I keep getting booted out.

Also, I tried running the PS4 on safe mode but I can't connect my DS4 even via USB.

NewDust

People, please help me enjoy DR: Trigger Happy Havoc more.

I do like the story, but the pacing throws me off everytime I play it. I have finished the first trial and feel like I'm building up to the second, but there is so much downtime in between each trial. Does it ramp up more towards the end? How did you play your game, longer sessions, or shorter but daily?

Also do the other DR games have the same pacing, or does it goes a bit faster early on?

Chuy

So I don't post often on NeoGaf. I've been more of a lurker these past many years. But I've always enjoyed reading impressions in the PSN threads since it seems like a friendly community of gamers just discussing their favorite games instead of just bashing graphics or frame rate.

I'll try to start posting more here, especially if I have down time at work.

That is one heck of a backlog. I haven't been able to play much games these past two years due to work, but I was able to finish Until Dawn (PS4), The Order 1886 (PS4), Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4), Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3), and Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita) this year so far.

I guess I'm in the mood for murder mysteries and visual novels. I've never played otome games before, but I heard good things about Code Realize. And of course, you all keep mentioning Steins Gate and Dangranronpa so I'll be playing through those before year-end hopefully.

Tales of Zestiria caught me by surprise. I played Tales of Xilia a couple years ago but never made it past a few hours. But Tales of Zestiria's sense of adventure and uplifting atmosphere drew me in. I'm a few hours into it and I'll try to play more of it. It's been a while since a JRPG has pulled me in.

So basically what I did before posting here, nice.
Yeah this place is pretty chill in to game discussion and good place to get recommendations for games. Would have nice bought Personal 4 Golden if I hadn't lurked here and saw the impressions for it.
As for personal recommendations yeah go with Danganronpa and I believe corpse party for horror / mystery genre. While I haven't played either unfortunately I do know they're pretty good from what I've seen from impressions here.

So basically what I did before posting here, nice.
Yeah this place is pretty chill in to game discussion and good place to get recommendations for games. Would have nice bought Personal 4 Golden if I hadn't lurked here and saw the impressions for it.
As for personal recommendations yeah go with Danganronpa and I believe corpse party for horror / mystery genre. While I haven't played either unfortunately I do know they're pretty good from what I've seen from impressions here.

Thank you. I'll check out Danganronpa like you said. I'll get Corpse Party in the future once it lowers in price a bit. I haven't played any of the prequels even though I have them. I have a huge back log...

redcrayon

Trails in the Sky SC will launch on EU PSN next week on November 10th

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184259270&postcount=1671

Much sooner than expected! Please buy it and support such an insane and high quality localization.

EDIT: Rorona Plus for Vita has dropped even lower than yesterday on EU PSN

It's now 12,50€, the perfect game if you never tried the Atelier series before
Thank you! :) First game in ages where I'm going out of my way to pay full price just to support the amount of effort that's gone into it.

Megauap

Much sooner than expected! Please buy it and support such an insane and high quality localization.

EDIT: Rorona Plus for Vita has dropped even lower than yesterday on EU PSN

It's now 12,50€, the perfect game if you never tried the Atelier series before

Do you recommend Rorona Plus if I have never played the series?
I know I better stay way from the non Plus versions but is this one a good one to start?

I know I better stay way from the non Plus versions but is this one a good one to start?

I'm no an Atelier expert but it's the first game I played of the series and I had a good time with it! It's pretty much a remake of the first game with lots of improvements from later titles as far as I know.

If you're interested in the series (time management, material collecting and crafting, light-hearted, character driven story) then I'd totally recommend it at that price.

Megauap

I'm no an Atelier expert but it's the first game I played of the series and I had a good time with it! It's pretty much a remake of the first game with lots of improvements from later titles as far as I know.

If you're interested in the series (time management, material collecting and crafting, light-hearted, character driven story) then I'd totally recommend it at that price.

Thanks! I will buy it and add it to my backlog.
Hopefully I will play it soon.

bobohoro

Finally, they manage to release over here in a reasonable time frame. Will buy day-0.

Now I just have to decide if I'm gonna do another run through on Steam of FC to get back into the story or read the detailed summary. Probably the latter, due to time constraints.

Sad to say that Ar NoSurge+ will have to take a backseat for the time being. As well as Steins;Gate.

There will be some spoilers for Totori/Meruru in the post-game of Rorona+, as far as I know, so you might want to watch out for that if you plan to play those games as well. Which you should, Totori+ is the best Atelier game on PS3/Vita. Other than that, Rorona+ should make for a good entry into the series.

Takao

Banned
Hero Must Die (NIS - Pyramid/Shoji Masuda)

LJLKGsV.jpg
VR9RPKg.jpg
ewPBpcd.jpg
ibT95FU.jpg
3COXGEi.jpg
qP2xw3r.jpg
7JpeDC1.jpg
NClcWGN.jpg
dXskk9x.jpg
QSaFZwH.jpg
Xe03kb7.jpg
RBfhGHy.jpg
owbwgyy.jpg
AxuXUog.jpg
y9s5qbt.jpg
E5UTa4E.jpg
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20151105_729033.html

blahness

My 32GB Vita memory card looks like it has bitten the dust. Started having issues deleting games, downloading games, saving, the vita saying I popped the memory card out while it was on, and had a lot of difficulty reformatting. Luckily I was able to do a backup of the card, but since the reformat, I have had no luck restoring the backup as I am met with yet another error. Anyone know of a trick I can use to get the card working right or am I SOL and forced to use a 16gb card until I can get another 32 or 64gb card?

2HABtOv.jpg

Got Boggle on sale. It is another lazy boring bare minimum licensed Ubisoft game. Single player consists of seeing how many words you can get in 3 minutes and beat your high score. There is a puzzle of the day but the leaderboards didn't even show my ranking because I wasn't in the top 20 or so. I could not find anybody on multiplayer so it is useless. They could have added like a challenge mode or a campaign or something but nope this is Ubisoft.

I gotta stop buying these but they are buying up my favorite board games. EA needs to get back in this business.

Peggy Hill has more fun playing Boggle with a chicken.

WeLPbW6.png

Do we know how fan servicey Hero Must Die is? I think I remember that it was, but I actually like those screens.

The original had no fanservice; I think this one is a little more anime-esque but still pretty tame. There's no minigames if that's what you're asking.

Depends what your threshold is I guess. If you can handle something like Atelier then I think you'd be more than fine with this.

This sounds interesting, how is it supposed to work?

The hero of Hero Must Die only has five days to live. This is following a bout with the demon king, through which he was killed. But even with the demon king’s defeat, the world still faced a number of problems. Thus, the hero is granted five more days to live, and as him, players can take on a variety of actions that result in different endings.

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/hero-must-die-ps-vita-remake-announced#CZOupufHxXz6H1TY.99

The original had no fanservice; I think this one is a little more anime-esque but still pretty tame. There's no minigames if that's what you're asking.

Depends what your threshold is I guess. If you can handle something like Atelier then I think you'd be more than fine with this.

Ah okay, good shit, then. Thanks.

Top Bottom