• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filasifer

I picked up a pair of bibliotheques they are by far my favorite pair of jeans. They are a thicker denim so i'll wear them throughout the winter, where i have my lighter William Rast jeans for the summer.

The leather binders on the website is actually how they package their jeans. Though and through a great product.

Check out the site, its pretty cool.
http://www.maisonbibliotheque.com/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
cross post from boot thread - somet + alden

sometalden.jpg

I sprung for some nice Japanese denim, Dry Bones Red-D. Lots of people (e.g. on Superfuture forums) seem to speak highly of them. They will be my first pair of high-quality jeans... curious how they'll compare to the $30 Wranglers I normally wear.

charsace

Anyone know of any decent shoes (not boots) that go well with jeans?

jon bones said:
cross post from boot thread - somet + alden

sometalden.jpg
I wanted these indiana jones boots so bad, but they were out of my price range. :(

I love my redwing, but like the slimer front of the indies more.

perryfarrell said:
I sprung for some nice Japanese denim, Dry Bones Red-D. Lots of people (e.g. on Superfuture forums) seem to speak highly of them. They will be my first pair of high-quality jeans... curious how they'll compare to the $30 Wranglers I normally wear.

Oh you'll see and feel the difference soooo fast. Specially after lots of wear. :D

jon bones

perryfarrell said:

welcome to the team - they're going to be great when you get them and they will only get better with time!

charsace said:
Anyone know of any decent shoes (not boots) that go well with jeans?

sneakers or shoes?

i'm thinking a nice pair of deep brown/maroon/burgundy wing tips, no socks, brown leather belt, dark denim rolled up a little haphazardly...

charsace

jon bones said:
sneakers or shoes?

i'm thinking a nice pair of deep brown/maroon/burgundy wing tips, no socks, brown leather belt, dark denim rolled up a little haphazardly...
No roll up for me. I cuff. I also don't show leg skin not my style.

It has to be shoes not sneakers.

jon bones

OK - how do you feel about wing tips, though?

this is the ralph lauren darlton

image_123.jpg

edit: looks like RL has a real nice wing tip collection

Stantons016.jpg

charsace

jon bones said:
OK - how do you feel about wing tips, though?

this is the ralph lauren darlton

image_123.jpg

edit: looks like RL has a real nice wing tip collection

Stantons016.jpg
Great looking shoes. Way out of my price range. :( Lookiing for something that is $100-$200.

Just got my first pair of raw denim jeans. I picked up a pair of Nudies off a guy <hour away through eBay. They are the Regular Ralf and they fit me perfectly. The fades these things develop look amazing. According to him they are two years old and have not been washed. They have definitely been cleaned in some way, though, as they don't stink at all (actually they smell good; maybe he just sprayed himself down with body spray every day). Maybe dry cleaned at some point? No clue. They're great, though.

T Dawg

Banned
Dude. A guy wore his jeans for 2 years and never washed them and he gave them to you.

Please wash them first thing you do. His piss, sick, blood, shit etc will be embedded into the material.

Edit - semen. I forgot the semen.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My new STF 501s came today, they're great. I'm gonna have to hold off a bit on the nicer jeans cause I have to buy a ton of books, but these will make the wait much easier.

How would those who have had both compare APC New Standards to 501s? I sized to fit and would consider these "comfy" rather than "snug" which I enjoy sometimes. Are New Standards slimmer? Higher rise than 501s? The Petit Standards are lower rise, right? I guess part of my concern is that winter is coming so I may get something I can wear with underarmor and shirts tucked in and hold off on a slimmer fit purchase until spring.

projekt84

Dice said:
My new STF 501s came today, they're great. I'm gonna have to hold off a bit on the nicer jeans cause I have to buy a ton of books, but these will make the wait much easier.

How would those who have had both compare APC New Standards to 501s? I sized to fit and would consider these "comfy" rather than "snug" which I enjoy sometimes. Are New Standards slimmer? Higher rise than 501s? The Petit Standards are lower rise, right? I guess part of my concern is that winter is coming so I may get something I can wear with underarmor and shirts tucked in and hold off on a slimmer fit purchase until spring.

I'd say the rise is very similar to 501s, and the fit is much tighter than a 501.

APC jeans you have to get them real tight (2-3 sizes down from what you wear) because the waist stretches considerably after you wear them in a few times.

501s also have a huge crotch area compared to APC, but the APC crotch space seems perfect and not too small like a Levi's 510 or 511.

T Dawg said:
Dude. A guy wore his jeans for 2 years and never washed them and he gave them to you.

Please wash them first thing you do. His piss, sick, blood, shit etc will be embedded into the material.

Edit - semen. I forgot the semen.

You know there are other ways of cleaning clothes besides a washing machine, right? Washing doesn't necessarily rule out soaking, either.

jon bones

perryfarrell said:
A think a lighter color brown shoe would go better with those pants. These two don't go together that well, to be honest.

interesting - i feel quite the opposite... but that picture doesn't really capture the color right. it's like a red brick almost. i'm not into light brown boots/shoes. i think the whiskey cordovan wing tip is like the one light brown shoe i want.

in time the jeans will fade and get lighter and the leather boots will age and get darker :D it's a great feeling wearing a brand new pair of jeans and boots and knowing that despite how good they look now, this is actually the worst they'll ever look

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
projekt84 said:
I'd say the rise is very similar to 501s, and the fit is much tighter than a 501.

APC jeans you have to get them real tight (2-3 sizes down from what you wear) because the waist stretches considerably after you wear them in a few times.

501s also have a huge crotch area compared to APC, but the APC crotch space seems perfect and not too small like a Levi's 510 or 511.
Hmmm... if NS are a tighter fit than these, I'm uncertain of the PS because while I am a skinny guy, daily cycling is making my thighs more muscular. Upper thigh could be no less than 22" and knee no less than 15" or I'd be afraid of busting them.

Holy, this thread was 15 pages down already. Anyway, a bump for more denim talk.

jon bones said:
interesting - i feel quite the opposite... but that picture doesn't really capture the color right.

Yeah it's difficult to judge probably due to newness & lighting conditions. It takes time for these things settle in.

Okay, I'm ready to try this "no wash" thing. I was in TJ Maxx today and found a pair of Levi 501's. They were irregulars (there's a nigh-invisible thread mis-stitch across the thigh), so they were only $20. They had a 2nd pair in my size in a slightly lighter color (flaw is some threads poking out from the watch pocket, and hidden inside the front pocket). Not a bad haul for $40 even without trying this experiment.

I've no idea if these are raw denim, selvedge, whatever. They are as dark as the jeans I once wore as a kid, when it was the only color available. Honestly, that's part of my skepticism. That yellow tinge that you guys sigh over and cheap manufacturers overdo just reminds me of all the filthy unwashed jeans people wore in West Virginia. Not because they were fashionable, but because they were lazy, poor and dirty. I'll wash them long before that happens.

ojdsuv.jpg

The color on this photo is a bit off, they're really much darker. The jeans are too long in length, 32's when I normally wear a 29 or 30. Should I hem them? Roll cuffs? Should I wait until they're broken in a little? Can this be done with the other pair (that actually is more reminiscent of that photo), or is it strictly for the darkest denim?

I'll read back through the thread for more info. Any links for instructions, advice, etc. is appreciated.

Stryder

It won't work unless they are raw denim, and I didn't think Levi's did that, although I could be wrong.

You'll probably find it tough to wear them out with them that baggy as well, you'll be waiting a long time for any scuffing to occur (which is really what causes it).

Um, in short you'd be best (if you wanted to try the no-wash wearing down thing) picking up a pair of something like Nudie's, or any other brand that promotes their denim as raw selvedge. And ones that fit you snugly/tight. If they don't look good then it might just be best to pick up a pair of those pre-weathered ones if you're really after that look.

jon bones

Stryder said:
It won't work unless they are raw denim, and I didn't think Levi's did that, although I could be wrong.

not true. levi's vintage collection (LVC) and some of their capital E line (i believe) are made of excellent raw selvage denim. if you are willing to spend a little more money (~60-~130) and wait till you find a deal, you can find some great raw (and sometimes selvage) denim from j.crew, uniqlo, lvc, apc or nudie. pm me for help if you need it.

adamsappel said:
I've no idea if these are raw denim, selvedge, whatever. They are as dark as the jeans I once wore as a kid, when it was the only color available. Honestly, that's part of my skepticism. That yellow tinge that you guys sigh over and cheap manufacturers overdo just reminds me of all the filthy unwashed jeans people wore in West Virginia. Not because they were fashionable, but because they were lazy, poor and dirty. I'll wash them long before that happens.

The color on this photo is a bit off, they're really much darker. The jeans are too long in length, 32's when I normally wear a 29 or 30. Should I hem them? Roll cuffs? Should I wait until they're broken in a little? Can this be done with the other pair (that actually is more reminiscent of that photo), or is it strictly for the darkest denim?

Flip the cuff inside out so it looks like the picture i posted of my jeans and boots - is there a little thread (usually red, like mine) sewn in a similar fashion? if so, they are in all likelihood 'selvage denim' - if not, they are not.

they may be 'raw' or 'unwashed' denim regardless of if they are selvage or not. raw denim will fade - doesn't matter if it's selvage.

what kind of fit are the jeans (post pics) and what kind of shoes do you wear them with mostly? key factors to figuring out if you wear your jeans with a cuff or hem.

jon bones said:
not true. levi's vintage collection (LVC) and some of their capital E line (i believe) are made of excellent raw selvage denim. if you are willing to spend a little more money (~60-~130) and wait till you find a deal, you can find some great raw (and sometimes selvage) denim from j.crew, uniqlo, lvc, apc or nudie. pm me for help if you need it.

Flip the cuff inside out so it looks like the picture i posted of my jeans and boots - is there a little thread (usually red, like mine) sewn in a similar fashion? if so, they are in all likelihood 'selvage denim' - if not, they are not.

they may be 'raw' or 'unwashed' denim regardless of if they are selvage or not. raw denim will fade - doesn't matter if it's selvage.

what kind of fit are the jeans (post pics) and what kind of shoes do you wear them with mostly? key factors to figuring out if you wear your jeans with a cuff or hem.
There is no such red thread, and the hem looks no different than that of the lighter jeans. So, no selvage.

I'll try and update with pics tomorrow, but they're not a tight fit. My days of hard leather and dress shoes are (hopefully) behind me. My shoes are diverse, but they are casual.

No worries if these don't meet the no-wash criteria. Two pairs of Levi's for $40 satisfies my fashion itch as well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone know a good site in the UK/EU to grab a pair of APC, I checked Yoox and they have none in stock. For the prices I'm seeing I'd be better to just order a pair of Skulls or something from the US.

turnbuckle

I've been being more honest about my working out and eating habits lately, and decided to buy a few pairs of jeans in a size lower than what I'm used to. (36x32 down to 34x32). I bought 3 pairs of jeans from Express and I think they all look pretty good. I saw today that they have a sale where if you buy 1 pair you get the second 1/2 off and they also have a weekend special where you can get %20 off your total purchase. I'm thinking about buying 2 more pair and was wondering what the general thoughts of Express jeans are. I don't feel comfortable spending $120+ on jeans (my most expensive jeans cost $90, and the average of all jeans I own is probably closer to $60).

Also, from what little I've skimmed in here it looks like a lot of people don't wash their jeans. Up until a couple of years ago I made sure I washed my jeans every time I worse them, but even though I never bought this selvage / raw denim before I've found that my jeans tend to look and feel better the longer I go between washes. Or maybe I'm just a slob trying to justify my slobby ways lol.

Picking up a pair of APC New Cures tomorrow while the lovely girlfriend and I shop around in Boston. Maybe a beanie also for the Winter.

Jason's Ultimatum said:

511's are what I've been wearing pretty much my whole life, haha definitely can't go wrong with them if you can't pay top dollar for jeans.

Also perryfarrell, how are you liking the denim? :D

Also don't forget to add www.denimbaronline.com to the OP!

Couldn't really take the plunge on some Nudies or APCs just yet, so I ended up picking up a pair of Gap Standard selvage jeans.

Been wearing them for two weeks now (after getting them hemmed) and already they're breaking in nicely and I love them to death.

Also been working on losing weight, so hopefully I'll be able to grab some Nudies or APCs in the near future.

May have been a baby step, both in the working out and making my way into the world or selvage denim, but so far I'm pretty satisfied.

jon bones

GONNA SOAK ME SOME SOMETZ TONIGHT

should have done this when i first bought them but i was lazy... gotta do it now before any real fades show up (some small ones are forming...)

charsace

Think I will post pics of my nudies sometime this week. They are far off from being good looking, but hey gotta contribute.

jvalioli

I think I'm going to soak my jeans at the end of winter break. Fades are already coming in and they don't smell but some parts of the combs are a little dirty if you look closely.

Banned
Revelations said:
Anyone in here an Artful Dodger ONLY wearer? I wear them exclusively...

No Love? They badass.

Yr right, they DO have a bad ass.

Man, it's amazing how cheap jeans are in the USA, a pair of perfect black levi 511s cost me $50 compared to $150 in Australia. Go usa!

Jiminy Christmas those jeans have got a lot going on... Reminds me of Christian Audigiers stuff. blargh.

@Char: Why wash them at 2 months? You shoulda soaked if they were getting unbearable. I've got 5 months on a pair of Iron Armies and 6 on a pair of Naked and Famous Big Slubs. I'm probably going to try holding out as long as possible to increase the amount of wear on both. It's a shame Iron Army went under, these are the best fitting jeans I've ever come across.

666 said:
Yr right, they DO have a bad ass.

Man, it's amazing how cheap jeans are in the USA, a pair of perfect black levi 511s cost me $50 compared to $150 in Australia. Go usa!

Just depends on who is wearing it and the fit. obviously they choose a model with a pair thats 3 sizes too big for him.

Jayge

Not really a denimhead or anything but I do find threads like these interesting so I lurk around from time to time... I do wear jeans exclusively though, and I'm wondering how you guys can go 6+ months wearing them without them starting to smell like ass? Maybe it's because of the places I sit (old-ass school desks and this slightly disturbing desk chair) but I can't go more than a few weeks before they NEED some detergent immediately.

charsace

Jayge said:
Not really a denimhead or anything but I do find threads like these interesting so I lurk around from time to time... I do wear jeans exclusively though, and I'm wondering how you guys can go 6+ months wearing them without them starting to smell like ass? Maybe it's because of the places I sit (old-ass school desks and this slightly disturbing desk chair) but I can't go more than a few weeks before they NEED some detergent immediately.
Soak them in water only and let them hang dry. Some people freebreeze them or put them in a freezer. You can wash them with color hold detergent or just use Dr Bonners(? don't use it my self so can't say anything about it).

I will soak my jeans from time to time. Most of the time I hang them outside though. If they really smell just wash them.

I wear like 4 pairs of jeans and sometimes I wear a black or grey pair. What is the best amount of jeans to have in rotation? I was thinking 3.
Someone else post pics!

I'll snap a few of mine later I guess. I've always loved jeans and have been intrigued by their fabrication process and the awesome effect of wear and tear. If I had the money I'd spring for some Flatheads or some Samurais.

jvalioli

Jayge said:
Raw jeans take a long time to smell. Mine at least. For my Levis I need to wash them every couple of wears or they will start to smell funny, but I have yet to wash my N&F jeans that I've had for months and they still smell almost new.

jvalioli said:
Raw jeans take a long time to smell. Mine at least. For my Levis I need to wash them every couple of wears or they will start to smell funny, but I have yet to wash my N&F jeans that I've had for months and they still smell almost new.

I wonder if it's because of the weight of the denim? Aren't a usual pair of jeans like 12 oz? Raw jeans vary from 14 to 23, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Also the rigidity from the sizing? Who knows, but I've noticed this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom