• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WOWOWOW - jeans prone to shrinking (unsanforized) should be shrunk AS SOON AS YOU BUY THEM

i soaked my somets for 3 hours and threw them in the dryer on low for 30 minutes... the waistband was still a little damp so i wore them for an hour to stretch the waist back. the inseam shortened about half an inch (perfect length now, i had them hemmed knowing they'd shrink) and the thighs came in PERFECTLY. they fit like a fucking glove now. for reference, i am 5'6'' ~115 lbs and i bought a tagged size 27.

man, i love denim.

btrick

some of these jeans (like the APC, nudie ones) looks great. i'd love to buy a pair, but i hate shopping online. What stores can I find these jeans in at the mall?

charsace said:
Nudies about 2 months worth of wear one wash.
For all the talk about superior quality coming with a superior price, wtf is this?

1418jdz.jpg

Loose stitching doesn't exactly fill me with brand confidence.

jon bones

i don't think any denimhead would consider nudie 'superior' quality (it's better than diesel but not quite lvc / apc and a far cry from flatheads) but that does seem odd.

pxleyes

Banned
adamsappel said:
For all the talk about superior quality coming with a superior price, wtf is this?

1418jdz.jpg

Never had a pair of 40 dollar Levis do that.

btrick said:
some of these jeans (like the APC, nudie ones) looks great. i'd love to buy a pair, but i hate shopping online. What stores can I find these jeans in at the mall?

does your mall have a barney's co-op? that is a good place to start.

In general though, nice jeans are tough to find at regular malls.

jon bones

btrick said:

you're pretty much out of luck - do you live in/near a major city?

Tonche

What's peoples experience with Edwin?

They fit me well, looking at getting a raw pair to thrash out for a while. Heard they can be tough little pricks to break in.

charsace

adamsappel said:

1418jdz.jpg

Was wrestling with some chick and she messing around with my pockets.

Acid08 said:
I bought a new pair of jeans. They're Levi's. They cost $30. Am I a peasant?

No, it just means you like levi.

jon bones

btrick said:
i live in virginia, near washington dc

how far are you from here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....092373&spn=0.008568,0.019312&z=16&iwloc=addr

Junior Asparagus said:
Any of you guys try http://www.indidenim.com/ or anything similar ?

Custom fit and design your own. Looks kinda cool, but I'm not normally a big spender on jeans. But I am curious as to how much better they'd feel as opposed to off the rack.

cool concept but all those jeans look like garbage made from more garbage

Hi guys, I've lurked this thread a few times. I love wearing jeans. It's an interesting thread. But can some of you help me out?

I don't understand the whole concept of not washing your jeans? I don't do the laundry, mom does it. I don't put my jeans for wash often, maybe once every 3 to 4 weeks. But how do you people go around keeping that same wash as it wash as bought brand new by cleaning it?

Also, are Guess premium jeans considered raw denim? Because I love guess premium jeans as that's all I have, well; not really. I have 4 pairs of jeans. 3 are Guess premiums and one is a Diesel jeans.

I have 4 jeans in rotation.

http://www.guess.ca/PopUps/PopupLar...3103DM3A0-MERC&selected=M93103DM3A0-MERC-ALT2

I have the jeans above, I just bought those, what do you guys think?

jon bones

"raw" denim means the jeans have not been washed prior to you buying them. as such, they would not have any of the fades that the pair you posted would have AT FIRST. those fades would appear on a raw pair in time as you wear the jeans in.

some people choose not to wash their raw jeans for a long time because the longer you hold out between washes, the higher contrast fades you will have when you finally do wash them.

i wash my jeans after 6 months to a year the first time and then every 3-4 months after that unless i puke on them or something.

i personally like my jeans with a lot less embellishment on them and a sturdier denim than what is offered by guess and diesel.

ryuen

Tonche said:
What's peoples experience with Edwin?

They fit me well, looking at getting a raw pair to thrash out for a while. Heard they can be tough little pricks to break in.

I bought a pair of Edwins when I was in Japan last year, and they were actually pretty easy to break in. Definitely an awesome pair of jeans for the price I paid for them ($85 or so).

jon bones

call up a levi's store - i need to head down to the one in soho in the next few weeks so if they have it i might be able to proxy a pair for you.

I bought these 514s from Nordstrom during the weekend. They're the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn. It feels so soft and like they're already broken-in. They're 32x34s, but the front slides down just a bit. It's weird, because I have such a small waist, but my chest and shoulders are huge. :lol

I also see there are 32x36. I may check that out too. I like em when they're longer. I'll stop by the mall or maybe that Bells store since they sell Levis.

jon bones

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I bought these 514s from Nordstrom during the weekend. They're the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn. It feels so soft and like they're already broken-in. They're 32x34s, but the front slides down just a bit. It's weird, because I have such a small waist, but my chest and shoulders are huge. :lol

I also see there are 32x36. I may check that out too. I like em when they're longer. I'll stop by the mall or maybe that Bells store since they sell Levis.

modest too :lol

I am 6feet tall 130lbs so I have to wear skinny jeans. I own two pairs of acne and I love them, perfect fit. Then again I can only afford one new pair of jeans a year at that price :(

Futureman

Can you get a ~$20 jean jacket at Macy's or somewhere else?

Or should I just go to a Goodwill? Trying to find a jean jacket for a little film I'm doing.

zhenming

anyone have any recommendations for APC alternatives. I have a pair of New Standards and I sized down 3 from 30 and it is tight, I love the quality though... just the leg opening isnt wide enough for me.

jon bones

Futureman said:
Can you get a ~$20 jean jacket at Macy's or somewhere else?

Or should I just go to a Goodwill? Trying to find a jean jacket for a little film I'm doing.

the gap used to have $20 denim jackets... dunno if they still carry them

zhenming said:
anyone have any recommendations for APC alternatives. I have a pair of New Standards and I sized down 3 from 30 and it is tight, I love the quality though... just the leg opening isnt wide enough for me.

if you don't mind backpocket arcatures, nudie bootcut olas are of similar quality/sizing and have a slightly larger hem (leg opening)

Atenhaus

Does anyone here own anything made by Naked & Famous? I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Weird Guys and Slim Guys. Can anyone vouch for their quality and cut?

DSC_0125.jpg

If anyone's interested: Some APCs, size 36 but stretched so you'd have to be a 38 to enjoy them, unwashed New Standards. I will give a pretty good deal on these... Whisker fades coming in, stacks take new form every time you wear them. I love these and the way they look, just want to get some skinnier jeans. I take good care of my denim so no smell or stains, wore them on and off for over 6 months. PM me if interested.

jon bones

Atenhaus said:
Does anyone here own anything made by Naked & Famous? I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Weird Guys and Slim Guys. Can anyone vouch for their quality and cut?

they are regarded as well-made denim amongst denimheads, go for it!

charsace

Atenhaus said:
I have a pair. They are good. The company did have problems at one point, but not anymore.

Atenhaus said:

I can't speak for the weird guys, but I have a pair of Naked and Famous Big Slub in the slim guy cut and they fit very well. For reference, I'm 5 ft. 7 in., 145 pounds and wear a size 29, and these clock in at a 15 inch waist. So nearly true to size. The Big Slubs are very heavy denim at 18 oz. (They were actually able to stand upright on their own after I soaked them lol), and they are very solidly constructed. I've heard of problems with the button fly so I sprung for the zip and never experienced any probs. The fit is nice and form fitting without being skinny tight. As long as you order them from someone who offers returns, I don't think you'll find any quality issues with them.

First pic is Naked and Famous Big Slubs
4150758407_ac796b3e6e.jpg

Second pic is Iron Army Sebastien Lamonte
4150768247_1c69d2aaa5.jpg

Strawman

Mercury Fred said:
I've had some gstar pairs that I've loved. I'm not a fan of the super over-designed ones, but I love the fit on them. I'm kind of shopping around for a new pair right now.

I have a pair of APC new cures that are almost two years old now and are finally perfect. The fading is really nice and the shape makes my ass look good (always get compliments when I wear these!) and accentuates my crotch :lol

A pair of Gstar where my intro to "expensive" jeans. I copped a lot of flak from my friends for spending that much on a pair of jeans (£95) but 3 years on they still look and feel great with minimal to no signs of wear (bar colour fade ofc). I would easily have gone through 2-3 pairs of cheaper jeans during this time. After reading this thread I think ill try some nudies next but fuck all that never washing them malarkey!

I'm looking to order a pair of Naked & Famous Slim Guy jeans, but I'm unsure of sizing. I am 6'3'', 190lbs and wear a 32'' or 34'' waist in jeans, depending on the cut. Should I opt for 34''? Do I have to consider the fact they will stretch? I like slim cut jeans, but the ability for me to wear overly tight clothing left with my early 20's. :lol

jon bones

this is a dangerous game i'm playing... could cost me $400 if i fuck this up :lol

i think i'm going to order those last jawnz i posted (self edge X flat head X inazuma), soaking them immediately for 4 hours in real hot water, throw them in a dryer. then get them hemmed up a bit short so they don't stack at all. it will either be super flattering or look horrible and unable to re-sell.

jon bones

LunaticPuma said:
This thread explains why I've seen $100 t-shirts at the mall. :lol

unless they are super thick cashmere, you just failed hard at reading comprehension

EDIT: AND you have a puma avatar :lol

Atenhaus said:

i also have a pair of the Weird Guy i think, in Grey. They seem to be holding up fine, but i wear them maybe 2 times/week since July. From what i can tell it will take a long time to fade these. I wish they were a little heavier in weight though.

I think my next pair will either be Dior 19cm or Samurais. Anyone have experience with the Sams?

charsace

LunaticPuma said:
This thread explains why I've seen $100 t-shirts at the mall. :lol
Fail hard son.

If I want to buy jeans in a different color I just buy cheap mondays or Levi. I can't spend $100+ on jeans I will hardly wear. Grey is a color I will spend that much on, but not on colors like red, brown, green, etc.

jon bones said:
i'm hyper ventilating... must.... cop....

* Pics *

It's wrong that I know the store these photos are from and the guy in the photo, just by looking at them. Even though I haven't shopped there since last December :lol:

Definitely need to pick up some new jeans sometime. Had my Flathead F310's a year this christmas. Might grab some with the funds from all the overtime I'm doing

E: Looking at either the Skull 5010xx 6x6 or the Flathead SE05BSP.

Already owning a pair of Flathead jeans, I'd like to try another brand, but the BSP's are just too nice. Definitely wanting something a little "slimmer"

jon bones

Blindfutur3 said:
It's wrong that I know the store these photos are from and the guy in the photo, just by looking at them. Even though I haven't shopped there since last December :lol:

Definitely need to pick up some new jeans sometime. Had my Flathead F310's a year this christmas. Might grab some with the funds from all the overtime I'm doing

haha, yea SE is great. i just copped those inazuma jeans. i have to curb my spending soon :lol

jon bones said:
haha, yea SE is great. i just copped those inazuma jeans. i have to curb my spending soon :lol

How do they fit? How did you size them?(One up from true waist? etc) I'm definitely looking for something slimmer and these seem to fit the bill

jon bones

Blindfutur3 said:
How do they fit? How did you size them?(One up from true waist? etc) I'm definitely looking for something slimmer and these seem to fit the bill

unfortunately, they only sold them in the CA store and not the NYC store so i just placed an order. i went TTS (waist 28, i wear 28 in nudie bootcut ola and 27 in somet 003) as per kiya's suggestion.

can't fucking wait... the back pocket arcature is sexy as hell, and the denim looks pretty slubby.

jon bones said:
unfortunately, they only sold them in the CA store and not the NYC store so i just placed an order. i went TTS (waist 28, i wear 28 in nudie bootcut ola and 27 in somet 003) as per kiya's suggestion.

can't fucking wait... the back pocket arcature is sexy as hell, and the denim looks pretty slubby.

If you can, would you mind taking photos when you've soaked them and wore them? Would be good to see how TTS fits. Don't fancy dropping £200 to soak them and find out I don't like how they fit.

jon bones

Blindfutur3 said:
If you can, would you mind taking photos when you've soaked them and wore them? Would be good to see how TTS fits. Don't fancy dropping £200 to soak them and find out I don't like how they fit.

of course! they already shipped so with any luck:

arrive friday
hot soak + hang dry saturday
chain stiched hem at BiG sunday
look fly as fuck for monday

i'm thinking of getting them hemmed up to the point where there is zero stacking going on... like a super straight slim fit... what do you think?

Dynamic3

jon bones said:

The thread count looks awful, but I do like the pocket stitching. What are they?

I really hope those hipster cuffs + stacking die soon, they've been hurting my eyes far too long.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dynamic3 said:
The thread count looks awful, but I do like the pocket stitching. What are they?

I really hope those hipster cuffs + stacking die soon, they've been hurting my eyes far too long.
Not gonna happen, as it's a product of laziness (not getting them hemmed)

jon bones

Dynamic3 said:

Self Edge x Flat Head x Inazuma, 14.5oz

For the Lightning Magazine Inazuma Festival in Japan Self Edge, Flat Head, and Lightning Magazine came together to bring the first new slim cut from Flat Head in almost two years. A slim cut all the way down with a form fitting upper block made of Flat Head's famous 3XXX denim.

shit looks pretty slubby in this one, i hope it slubs out way more

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/images/Self Edge x Flat Head x Inazuma - Slim/fh_01_02.jpg

charsace

Dynamic3 said:

Its a hipster thing? I've been cuffing since grade school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom