• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DemiMatt said:
really Villians does?! Blarg I just walked by there last week because it was too cold on The Haight. Thanks though, ill try dutil too.

yup, across the street also, Villians Vault, carries ACNE jeans. Last time i was there they only had 2 different cuts, both of which im not looking for.

What's the denimhead opinion on 501 Shrink-to-fits? Or should I not bother in this thread since they're not selvage denim?

I just bought a pair for the hell of it (not quite willing to spend >$50 on clothing right now), and I don't really know what to do with them.

SolidSquirrel said:
What's the denimhead opinion on 501 Shrink-to-fits? Or should I not bother in this thread since they're not selvage denim?

I just bought a pair for the hell of it (not quite willing to spend >$50 on clothing right now), and I don't really know what to do with them.

the STF's are a good starter pair. There are some particular things about getting the right pair, i've read. Such as being labeled 501XX. I bought a black pair 3 sizes down or whatever the label on the pants said. Cold soaked them and hang dry after which shrank accurately to the label. The pants fitted like a regular/straight leg, which i don't normally wear. If they made a slimmer/tapered raw cut I would wear them.

Just saw these:
denim-front.jpg

$150

Indigo 13.5 oz “Imported Japanese Selvedge Denim,” in Triumvir's Castor Fit(Straight Narrow). The denim features Shadaloo “S” flat embroidery detail on left pocket, Shadaloo Psycho Brigade Paper leather patch in royal blue with black details, and selvedge end back pockets.

Not bad for video-game jeans. Could be worse. I'm not a fan of the selvedge on the back pockets though. Kinda tacky.

kaskade

I had a pair of levis that shrunk a lot for some weird reason. They were 514 I think. They fit me fine for the longest time. I may have washed them 3 or 4 times total. I put them on yesterday and I could barely button the jeans. They felt like they shrunk a size or two. In better news my moms friend who comes up here on weekends is going to pick me up a pair from Uniqlo. He has really good taste so I know I'll get something nice.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
BolognaSoup said:
7 for all Mankind
Hudson

These are about the only jeans I buy anymore. Get them at Nordstrom for roughly $215.

as someone who routinely drops $300+ for jeans, you're overpaying. i'll keep an eye out for links but 7s are on sale regularly and can be found for ~$130

check revolveclothing for starters

jon bones said:
as someone who routinely drops $300+ for jeans, you're overpaying. i'll keep an eye out for links but 7s are on sale regularly and can be found for ~$130

check revolveclothing for starters

That's their standard price ($200-$215). I only get them on sales though. The semi-annual Nordstrom sales puts them around that $130 range, sometimes less.

*edit: they appear to be about the same price there.

lupin23rd

Need to start wearing the Eternal 811's I bought almost a year and a half ago, haven't put a lot of work into them because I sit at an office all day although I was biking to work in the summer a bit.

Part of me wants to wash (or soak) them anyways and see how they turn our with a lot of wear after that, but I feel like I never want to wash them heh

gragy10

Tonche said:
What's peoples experience with Edwin?

They fit me well, looking at getting a raw pair to thrash out for a while. Heard they can be tough little pricks to break in.

I'm a massive fan of edwin stuff - suprised there seems to be so little mention of 'em in here. The raw Nashville's are a great regular straight leg but my favourite's are the granite wash ed 77's and ed 62's - got about about a year's worth of wear on each of them before their first wash and the fade is amazing.
One word of warning - the bleed can be atrocious (something to do with teh specific indigo they use). Ruined way too many pairs of kicks as a result!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
BolognaSoup said:
That's their standard price ($200-$215). I only get them on sales though. The semi-annual Nordstrom sales puts them around that $130 range, sometimes less.

*edit: they appear to be about the same price there.

7's are the best of the "high-fashion" brands IMO. Very comfortable and fit great

Check the OP for recs on raw/selvage denim. Once you buy one you'll be addicted.

zhenming

if anyone is interested....

I have here a 3 week old early xmas gift my girlfriend bought me from tobi. They are in perfect condition with creases forming, no holes or scratches, and no washes. I am only selling because they fit a little too tight on me. Tags and everything still in place. I am looking to sell for $120 shipped CONUS.

APC New Standard. Waist 27

dsc1853i.jpg
dsc1854.jpg
dsc1855.jpg
dsc1856y.jpg
dsc1859n.jpg
dsc1860d.jpg

jon bones

!

$120 shipped

someone buy those!

also, keep in mind those will stretch out a bit, so maybe you should consider keeping them?

the pictures you took are giving me a boner, too

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bought a newer pair of jeans a few weeks ago. They were a pair of straight umm I think medium wash jeans for $80 at my banana republic. I hate uber cheap jeans, but never been one to spend over $100 on a pair either.

Then again I tend to not wear jeans out, and living where I do in GA from like late April early May till sometime in September it's hot as my balls here so fuck wearing jeans. I know some guys still do but when it's in the mid 90s during the day shorts for me when I'm not at work.

So I might get one new pair of jeans a year during the late fall winter months, and I'm good. I wear khaki pants to work year round.

I have a question.

I recently bought a pair of Nudie Average Joes. The shop that I got them from chalked them for hemming. They said they would not measure and hem (I'm not entirely sure why). They also said the jeans can shrink some after washing. I've been walking around with the jeans cuffed now since I've gotten them. My other Nudies (Regular Ralfs I got used) I had hemmed to my 30" inseam and have been great (though I have not washed them since I've owned them).

My question is would the Average Joes shrink inseam-wise? Honestly the leg opening is relatively large (even though they're a straight jean apparently) so they don't really stack well. If they do shrink (even if washed cold and hung up to dry) a significant amount, can they be stretched back to where I want them? If so, how? They honestly don't look all that great cuffed, my 30" inseam means I don't really have long long legs (even though I'm about 5'11), so I prefer just the clean, straight look.

Any advice would be appreciated.

edit: After looking around some I have found a few answers that it is no issue to stretch out the jeans when wet to have the correct length inseam. So, how do you actually stretch them out? How do you know when they are the right length, etc. Guess it's not something I'll have to worry about for a number of months, but I'd like to know :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm so tempted to buy those. They are the size I'd get, I'm just not sure. It's mostly just that I've taken such a liking to my pair of 501 STF. Hmmmmm...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I've always wanted to buy some Rock & Republics, but I have never found a pair that has fit as well as I'd like. Sure I could go get 'em tailored, but eh... I've had pretty good luck with Buckle jeans, and they come in Size 26. :D

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
jon bones said:
!

$120 shipped

someone buy those!

also, keep in mind those will stretch out a bit, so maybe you should consider keeping them?

the pictures you took are giving me a boner, too
a few years ago apc denim used to cost 120$, now they're 150$. :/I really want a pair but I can't afford them a the moment, 150 is a bit too much.
Anyone seen the SupremeXAPC denim with the Fuck Em on the back pocket, pretty nifty.

lupin23rd

What's the deal with reinforcing button holes?

The top button (not the waist one) ripped clean through on my 45RPMs (gained a bit of weight I guess :lol) and although I'm not far into them, I can see the same thing happening with my current project Eternals if I start wearing them often and hard.

Can it be done? And can the ripped button holes be repaired easily?

J-Rzez

So people here had trouble with True Religion Jeans before? I've never had a problem with them with the pairs I bought years ago. Is this something new?

kaskade

I finally got a pair of Uniqlo denim. They are pretty comfortable, seem to fit well, and look nice. I picked out a black raw pair. How long should I wait to wash them on average? I want to keep them looking pretty raw for a while.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I hate to say it, but went to Nordstrom's and bought of 3 pairs jeans. 2 pairs of Rock & Revolution and one pair of Joe's.

I am further away form my new bike, but, I need to wear pants.

Tenks

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I hate to say it, but went to Nordstrom's and bought of 3 pairs jeans. 2 pairs of Rock & Revolution and one pair of Joe's.

I am further away form my new bike, but, I need to wear pants.

You bought two pairs of ~$200 jeans and don't even know the actual name of the brand? The fuck?

Anyways I'm surprised to see a thread like this on GAF.

My favorite denim brand is Nudie. I have roughly a one year old pair of Nudie Thin Finn in Dry Ecru Embros. For Xmas I got a pair of Regular Ralf Dry Selvage pair since I kind of grew out of the skinny jeans style I was in for so long. I managed to snag them on sale pretty cheap from ASOS. I think they were like 120 pounds and shipping was only like 5 pounds. Cheapest I could find them from a US store was ~$300 so I was happy.

I have no pictures of either jeans but the selvages are already breaking in faster than my organics. I heard that organic raws take forever to break in and I lost patience on my Thin Finns. They look beautiful but they mostly just look rinsed.

In terms of washed jeans I generally just buy them on sale from a member site. I love 7FAM Slimmy/Standard (prob have 5-7 pairs combined) and Rock & Republic Taylors (2 pairs).

I have a pair of Joe's in Brexton (?) fit. I got them ultra cheap at off Saks ($40) and really only got them because I needed a grey pair of jeans for a few outfits. Not really a fan of Joe's. Seems like low quality denim and a not-so-special wash.

I have a pair of April77 Joey in Snow which are also really nice. They're super skinny and the waist is kind of big. I generally take a waist 28 and these fit more like a 30. I didn't think they were vanity sized but maybe the are, dunno. I also have a pair of April77 in Raw but they didn't look that nice. Got each pair pretty cheap @ reverse-reverse.

I somewhat disagree with the thoughts in the OP about Diesel. I have a pair of Diesel bootcuts and the denim quality seems pretty decent to me. They also fit nice.

A fairly cheap brand that I find pretty nice is "Good Society." I think you can pick them up for 60-70 and it's pretty good. They are Japanese so the waist is somewhat small. I'd size up. That and Uniqlo. They fit pretty nice as well. Though I don't really like the seams on mine. They're ultra contrasting with the wash and it makes them look cheap imo.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Tenks said:
You bought two pairs of ~$200 jeans and don't even know the actual name of the brand? The fuck?

Anyways I'm surprised to see a thread like this on GAF.

My favorite denim brand is Nudie. I have roughly a one year old pair of Nudie Thin Finn in Dry Ecru Embros. For Xmas I got a pair of Regular Ralf Dry Selvage pair since I kind of grew out of the skinny jeans style I was in for so long.

I have no pictures of either jeans but the selvages are already breaking in faster than my organics. I heard that organic raws take forever to break in and I lost patience on my Thin Finns. They look beautiful but they mostly just look rinsed.

In terms of washed jeans I generally just buy them on sale from a member site. I love 7FAM Slimmy/Standard (prob have 5-7 pairs combined) and Rock & Republic Taylors (2 pairs).

I have a pair of Joe's in Brexton (?) fit. I got them ultra cheap at off Saks ($40) and really only got them because I needed a grey pair of jeans for a few outfits. Not really a fan of Joe's. Seems like low quality denim and a not-so-special wash.

I have a pair of April77 Joey in Snow which are also really nice. They're super skinny and the waist is kind of big. I generally take a waist 28 and these fit more like a 30. I didn't think they were vanity sized but maybe the are, dunno. I also have a pair of April77 in Raw but they didn't look that nice. Got each pair pretty cheap @ reverse-reverse.

I somewhat disagree with the thoughts in the OP about Diesel. I have a pair of Diesel bootcuts and the denim quality seems pretty decent to me. They also fit nice.

A fairly cheap brand that I find pretty nice is "Good Society." I think you can pick them up for 60-70 and it's pretty good. They are Japanese so the waist is somewhat small. I'd size up. That and Uniqlo. They fit pretty nice as well.

They are 75% off and I didn't buy the jeans for me. The girl said I needed new jeans.

I normally buy Buffalo, Mavi or Ben Sherman jeans.

ChiTownBuffalo

Any jean that potentially looks like it could go well with some Christian Audigier-type apparel is a no go for me.

Tenks

Oh yeah and I have to disagree somewhat about the True Religion hate in the OP as well. I have a pair and the denim is actually pretty quality and the wash is fantastic. Granted I don't like the Billy Big T style with the massive oversized pockets and gaudy fasteners everywhere with massive face-sized rivets but mine are fairly understated, no flap closures, unbranded normal sized rivets with only a single thread making up the horseshoe on the pocket (with one side having a leather patch with 'True Religion' in cursive script) and they're a very nice pair of denim.

Tenks

exarkun said:
What is "stacking"?

And how is the quality of Ralph Lauren jeans? I looked at them the other and it seems they are pre-washed but they felt kind of good...

And are denim jackets out? And no denim on denim wearing right (shirt and jeans or jack and jeans)

Denim on Denim is actually making a comeback. It's becoming very popular in the LA / celebrity circle so I'd say give it a bit of time unless you live in a fashion-forward city lest you look weird. With that said I picked up a Paper Denim & Cloth brand denim jacket at Stein Mart for $24 for when it becomes a bit more acceptable to wear denim on denim.

Zac Efron, David Beckham and other male celebrity fashion icons wear it all the time. Same with females.

Also pretty much any denim brand will give you a washed pair of jeans. Raw are hard to find unless you're looking I highly doubt Ralph Lauren would sell a pair of raws. It's hard to market raws to the masses as a pair of jeans you wear for a year without washing just to get a similar look to a pre-washed pair of jeans. I would KILL for a pair of 7FAM Slimmy in raw. I did find a pair of True Religions in Raw a few years back. I'd also wear a pair of R&R Taylors in Raw. Watchout though R&R has a wash called "Raw" but it's just their name for basically rinsed jeans. They're not actually raw.

Strawman

Picked myself up some Nudies regular ralf dry heavies on sale for 55 quid. Am i right that despite them not being selvedge the "dry" bit means they will fade and honeycomb if I manage to not wash em for months?

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I finally got a pair of Uniqlo denim. They are pretty comfortable, seem to fit well, and look nice. I picked out a black raw pair. How long should I wait to wash them on average? I want to keep them looking pretty raw for a while.

6-8 months if you wear them regularly (2-3 times a week) Wear them a bit more if you want to get better fades out of them.

Strawman said:
Picked myself up some Nudies regular ralf dry heavies on sale for 55 quid. Am i right that despite them not being selvedge the "dry" bit means they will fade and honeycomb if I manage to not wash em for months?

That's right. I actually own a pair of Regular Ralf jeans. They're quite beautiful (bought 'em used, actually). Go by the standards in this thread for the dry/raw denim and they'll look fantastic.

Strawman

Cheers for the info. I doubt ill have the patience to not wash them for 6 months+ but when I bought my first pair of raw jeans (Gstar) I was ignorant of this technique and washed em constantly like regular jeans and I love the way they look now after 3 years. The honeycombing and marks on some of the jeans pictured in this thread look fantastic though so Im going to at least try :)

exarkun

What are good brands of women's denim jeans for under 100? I'm thinking of getting the GF a pair and want to get her good stuff but dont know where to start.

I'm looking for a dark par of jeans and she doesn't like the jean to be skin tight below her knee. So nothing too skinny jean ish.

Thanks!

jon bones

exarkun said:
What are good brands of women's denim jeans for under 100? I'm thinking of getting the GF a pair and want to get her good stuff but dont know where to start.

I'm looking for a dark par of jeans and she doesn't like the jean to be skin tight below her knee. So nothing too skinny jean ish.

Thanks!

in my opinion, women look great in 7s... look for some sales and you'll be within your budget

Tenks

exarkun said:

Thanks!

You can probably shop around on the internet and find a pair of Joe's or 7FAM jeans for around that price.

However take it from someone who has tried to buy his GF jeans as a surprise. Don't do it. Girls are so picky about the fit of their jeans it is impossible to buy them a pair unless they tell you what they want or know what they like. Case in point I was going to buy my GF a pair of 7FAM skinny boots until she told me she hated the way her butt looks in 7. So that idea was out the window. Luckily she loved Joe's so I just snuck a peek at her waist size one morning and just went with that.

You may consider just taking her to Saks and seeing if she wants to try on various brands. It'll reveal your hand a bit but you can at least guard which brand you'll buy for her. They have all the major lines there but make sure to try on at least 7FAM, Joe, R&R. I'm not sure if they carry Paige Premium or not but those also look good on girls.

Black Orchid is also fairly popular with Hollywood recently and they're about $115 (http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/Black-Orchid)

You could also try out Divine Right of Denim. They run cheap ($60-70) and I know I'd totally dick Audrina Patridge when she's wearing them (she's the face of the brand). http://www.shopstyle.com/browse?fts=Divine+Rights+of+Denim

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
nakedsushi said:
Just saw these:
denim-front.jpg

$150

Indigo 13.5 oz “Imported Japanese Selvedge Denim,” in Triumvir's Castor Fit(Straight Narrow). The denim features Shadaloo “S” flat embroidery detail on left pocket, Shadaloo Psycho Brigade Paper leather patch in royal blue with black details, and selvedge end back pockets.

Not bad for video-game jeans. Could be worse. I'm not a fan of the selvedge on the back pockets though. Kinda tacky.

Can anybody share opinions about this pair of jeans? I like the Triumvir brand for their T-shirts and jackets, but I've never owned an expensive pair of jeans. Does this one seem like it'll be a good starter?

jon bones

SnowWolf said:
Can anybody share opinions about this pair of jeans? I like the Triumvir brand for their T-shirts and jackets, but I've never owned an expensive pair of jeans. Does this one seem like it'll be a good starter?

from what i've seen, it doesn't look like a great deal. 13.5 oz denim is a bit light and i'm not sure how the fit/construction is.

the best starter jeans is still the APC new standards, sized down 1. they are 150 for now but they're being raised to 165 soon. someone is selling a new pair here for $120

SnowWolf said:

As stated above, stick with either APC or Nudie. Better quality denim all around and just remember to size down 2 with New Standards depending on your fit style.

Tenks

Here are my new Regular Ralf Dry Selvages. Got them for XMas so like two weeks old.

Other:

Jacket: Canada Goose Chilliwack
Shirt: Just A Cheap Shirt, Just A Cheap Flannel Shirt
Shoes: Diesel somethingoranother
Gloves: Portolano fingerless cashmere

2ajq89l.jpg

10zxnhv.jpg

Dirtbag

What's the running thought on "7 for all mankind" jeans?
Their cuts seem to fit me the best, and they looked relatively sturdy.
I picked up one pair to give them a go, what should I expect jean jedi's?

Tenks

Dirtbag said:
What's the running thought on "7 for all mankind" jeans?
Their cuts seem to fit me the best, and they looked relatively sturdy.
I picked up one pair to give them a go, what should I expect jean jedi's?

I have quite a few pairs of 7FAM. Their denim is not the highest quality. In fact I may even rate it on the low end of the quality spectrum. It's quite thin and prone to tearing and fraying especially if it comes with pre-distressed holes. Don't buy them thinking you'll have them for 3-5 years of continuous wear because they'll fall apart. With that said it's a brand known primarily for their fit and their washes. If it fits you well (they fit me very nice) and you like the look then more power to you.

My overall verdict is if you paid full price you got hosed, though. You can find them for ~115 online or at an off-Saks or Nordstrom Rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom